Free Agent Stock Watch Series
With the 2011/12 season winding down, players on expiring contracts and teams with cap space will begin to turn their attention to free agency. A number of players are already poised to hit unrestricted or restricted free agency, while plenty of others have options or non-guaranteed contracts for 2012/13 and could become free agents as well.
We've already provided a general overview of this year's free agent class, broken down by position. As we approach the offseason, Hoops Rumors will take a look at specific free agents, examining each player's stock as he prepares to sign a new contract. The Free Agent Stock Watch pieces will explore how this year's performance could affect a player's future earnings, what sort of deal he'll be seeking, what teams might be interested, and any other relevant factors.
Listed below are the players whose free agent stock we've looked at so far. Players are listed in alphabetical order, with restricted free agents marked accordingly. You can find this list, which we'll continue to update, anytime on the right sidebar under "Hoops Rumors Features."
- Lou Amundson
- Matt Barnes
- Nicolas Batum (R)
- Aaron Brooks (R)
- Goran Dragic
- Tim Duncan
- Raymond Felton
- Kevin Garnett
- Eric Gordon (R)
- Gerald Green
- Jeff Green
- Spencer Hawes
- Roy Hibbert (R)
- Grant Hill
- Jordan Hill
- Josh Howard
- Kris Humphries
- Ersan Ilyasova
- Antawn Jamison
- Chris Kaman
- Jason Kidd
- Jeremy Lin (R)
- O.J. Mayo (R)
- JaVale McGee (R)
- Tracy McGrady
- C.J. Miles
- Andre Miller
- Steve Novak
- Nate Robinson
- Ramon Sessions
- Jason Terry
- Delonte West
- Nick Young
Kentucky Players To Announce Decisions Tuesday
TUESDAY, 9:41am: The press conference for the five Kentucky underclassmen has been delayed until Tuesday evening at 7:00pm local time due to travel issues and class schedules, tweets Kyle Tucker of the Courier-Journal.
MONDAY, 4:09pm: Five Kentucky underclassmen expected to declare for the NBA draft will announce their decisions at a Tuesday afternoon press conference, according to Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com. Barring a surprise, Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones, Marquis Teague, and Doron Lamb will all officially declare for the NBA draft.
Earlier today, it was reported that Davis, Teague, and Jones will be entering the draft pool, though Kidd-Gilchrist's and Lamb's final decisions were still unknown. The five underclassmen made up most of the core of a Wildcats team that won the 2012 NCAA national championship.
Davis, a freshman, will likely be picked first overall, while Kidd-Gilchrist (freshman) and Jones (sophomore) are also expected to be lottery picks. Teague (freshman) is also a likely first-rounder, while Lamb (sophomore) could crack the first round as well.
Hoops Rumors' full list of early entrants for this June's draft can be found here.
Celtics Notes: Free Agents, Bass, Stiemsma
The Celtics have a chance to clinch the Atlantic Division and secure at least the fourth seed in the East tonight. As Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com outlines, a Celtics win in New York and a 76ers loss to Indiana would lock up the Atlantic for Boston. As the Celtics prepare for tonight's matchup with the Knicks, let's check in on a few Tuesday morning C's notes….
- Wyc Grousbeck, one of the managing partners of the Celtics, is looking to the post-Big-Three era in Boston with a mix of eagerness and patience, writes Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
- Said Grousbeck: "I’m excited about the summer. I’m excited about next summer, too. I’m excited about the Celtics really. I think we’ve got a lot of possibilities in our future. Danny [Ainge] said to me that he’s been in front offices for something like 13 years — coach, general manager — and he’s never had cap space once. And I think that’s an angle that’s interesting. I said, 'Maybe you should try it.'"
- Grousbeck added that he and the Celtics are "not ruling anything out" when it comes to the pursuit of marquee free agents.
- Brandon Bass has a $4.25MM player option for next season, but hasn't made a decision on it yet, as he tells Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe: "I want to be here a long time playing alongside [Rajon] Rondo, [but] to be honest, I am not that type of guy to even be thinking about things like [the option] because I just try to get better every day."
- In an ESPN Boston piece, Chris Forsberg takes a look at Greg Stiemsma's defensive improvements this season.
Suns To Pursue Jamal Crawford
Jamal Crawford is expected to turn down his player option for 2012/13, and when he does, the Suns may be one of the first teams to come after him. According to Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com, Phoenix intends to aggressively pursue Crawford this summer.
"Aside from Steve [Nash], he's high if not the top free agent priority on their list," a source told Haynes. "He would fill a need at the two-guard position and he knows they want him."
Crawford was reported to have some interest in joining the Warriors, and it appears he may reciprocate the Suns' interest as well. According to Suns broadcaster John Bloom (via Twitter), Crawford told Phoenix broadcaster Eddie Johnson and coach Alvin Gentry during last night's game that he "needs to be here in Phoenix."
Crawford signed a two-year deal with the Blazers in December, but holds a player option worth $5.225MM for the second season. While the 32-year-old's 13.8 PPG and .384 FG% are his lowest marks in years, he should be able to secure a multiyear deal on the open market this offseason, as plenty of teams will be seeking shooting guards.
Southeast Notes: Howard, Mason, Crawford
All five Southeast Division teams were in action tonight, and four of them won, including the Wizards, who stunned the Bulls. No such luck for the hapless Bobcats, however, as they lost their 17th straight. Here's the buzz around the Southeast:
- Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel proposes the Magic take the bold step of shutting down Dwight Howard for the rest of the season, playoffs included, to protect their best asset should they decide to trade him before his contract runs out after next season.
- Roger Mason underwent surgery to repair a broken left index finger today, and the Wizards waived him. Mason says he could have returned in a week's time, but would prefer to give his finger a little more time to heal, as Michael Lee's blog for The Washington Post explains.
- Jordan Crawford is the Wizards' leading scorer since the All-Star break, but he was disappointed the team benched him in favor of Nick Young earlier this season, writes Michael Lee of the Washington Post. With Young sent to the Clippers in a deadline deal, Crawford has a more positive opinion of what it's like to play in Washington despite the team's poor record, observes Alex Raskin of HoopsWorld.
Odds & Ends: Celtics, Raptors, Brown, Draft
It's an eventful night in the NBA with 11 games, many of which have playoff implications. There's been plenty of draft news as well, as teams look past the playoffs, and one item concerning the distant future, with the NBA announcing the Hornets will host the 2014 All-Star Game, just six years after hosting the 2008 event. The new ownership of Tom Benson had plenty to do with that, though he's already come up short in his quest to get the Jazz nickname back from Utah, as Brian T. Smith of The Salt Lake Tribune notes. If Benson ditches the Hornets name, it'll be a while before Charlotte could use it again, writes Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer. While nicknames won't be moving for a while, there's plenty of movement on other fronts, and here's the latest:
- A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com doesn't think free agents Roy Hibbert and Eric Gordon will switch teams this summer, but says the Celtics have interest in both (Twitter link).
- Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun breaks down the Raptors' roster and predicts who'll be there next season and who won't.
- Longtime coach Larry Brown is pursuing the Blazers GM job even as he zeroes in on the SMU coaching gig, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
- ESPN.com's Chad Ford discusses the possibility that Kentucky senior Darius Miller, currently projected as a second-rounder, could climb up the draft board and make it six first-round picks for the Wildcats (Insider only).
- Al Iannazzone of New York Newsday rounds up Carmelo Anthony's comments on multiple radio shows today about the way new Knicks coach Mike Woodson has held him accountable (Sulia links).
- Mavs cast-off Lamar Odom leads Sam Smith's list of the biggest disappointments this year on NBA.com
- Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida shares the results of an informal survey of 11 former MVPs, who give a slight edge to Kevin Durant over LeBron James in this year's race. The former players won't have official votes for the award; instead, writers and broadcasters will make the selection.
- Roland Beech of 82games.com crunches the numbers and determines Gilbert Arenas, taken in the second round by the Warriors in 2001, was the shrewdest draft choice in recent years (hat tip to Alex Raskin of HoopsWorld).
Cavs Rumors: Ferry, Jamison, Sloan
The idea that the Cavs might make a run at the playoffs this season has long since faded to a distant memory now that they have the fifth-worst record in the league. The focus is clearly on the future, with two first-round draft picks lined up for June. Here's the latest on Cavs past, present and, possibly, future:
- After looking at the progress former Cav J.J. Hickson has made since his arrival in Portland, as we noted earlier this evening, Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio shares a pair of front-office rumors involving former Cavs GM Danny Ferry, now working in the Spurs front office. Ferry, along with Celtics GM Danny Ainge, is a candidate for the Blazers GM job, and Ferry could also be next in line for the Wizards GM job should they decide to replace Ernie Grunfeld.
- Antawn Jamison will turn 36 in June, right before he goes out on the market as an unrestricted free agent. Mary Schmitt Boyer of the Plain Dealer looks at how Jamison's offseason body maintenance helped him start every game of the season for the Cavs until coach Byron Scott gave him a night off for rest on Saturday. Ryan Raroque profiled Jamison for the Hoops Rumors Free Agent Stock Watch series last night.
- Donald Sloan has an unguaranteed minimum-salary contract for next season, but Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal believes he's performed well enough in place of injured Kyrie Irving to come back to the team next season as Irving's backup.
Minor Moves: Hazell, Wright
We'll track today's D-League and international news here, with the latest up top:
- Former Seton Hall standout Jeremy Hazell has latched on with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the D-League, agent Seth Cohen tells HoopsHype (Twitter link). The 6'5" guard went undrafted after his senior year last season, but wound up in camp with the Suns.
- The Warriors announced they have recalled forward Chris Wright from the Dakota Wizards, who were eliminated from the D-League playoffs yesterday by the Bakersfield Jam. Wright averaged 17.9 PPG, 8.5 RPG and 1.8 blocks per game in 11 games during three separate stints with the Warriors' D-League affiliate. During 19 NBA games this season, the 6'8", 226-pound University of Dayton product averaged 2.1 PPG in 4.8 MPG.
Prospect Profile: Bradley Beal
There aren't a lot of quality young shooting guards in the NBA right now, especially given the injuries Eric Gordon has endured this year. There's also only one shooting guard projected as a surefire lottery pick in this year's draft, so that player, Bradley Beal, could be even more valuable than his ability would otherwise suggest.
Even if he weren't playing at a sought-after position, the freshman from Florida possesses plenty of appealing attributes. His high basketball IQ is something both ESPN.com's Chad Ford and Jonathan Givony of Draft Express agree on. He can play the point as well, and his showing down the stretch for the Gators and his ability to handle traps and double teams have already caught the eye of the Wizards, who are "enamored" with him, writes HoopsWorld's Steve Kyler. Ford points to his rebounding prowess, as he averaged 6.7 RPG this year, and Givony likes the advanced fundamentals and maturity he shows at just 18 years old.
Still, there are question marks involved. Ford writes that the only concern scouts have is his relatively poor shooting this year, when he connected on 44.5% of his field goal attempts, including 34% from three-point territory. Those are disappointing numbers from someone who, according to Ford, evoked comparisons to Ray Allen coming out of high school. While Givony believes he will never shoot so poorly from behind the arc again, he also points to a need for him to finish better on his attacks at the rim, as well as defensive inconsistencies. ESPN has him listed at 6'5", while he checks in at 6'3.5" at Draft Express. NBADraft.net splits the difference and has him at 6'4". Givony expressed concerns about his height, and if he's closer to the shorter side of his measurements, that's a legitimate worry.
Size matters less in a wide-open transition game, and he's been effective playing that style, according to Givony, creating looks for himself and his teammates with smooth ballhandling and an ability to change speeds. He'd fit a team looking for an up-tempo attack, and the Wizards notion holds water here, as they could go with a small lineup of John Wall, Beal, Jordan Crawford, Jan Vesely and Nene Hilario. He'd be a tougher fit with a team like the Raptors, who have a defensive-minded coach in Dwane Casey and DeMar DeRozan occupying the two-guard spot. Still, ESPN's latest mock has him going to Toronto at No. 5. Draft Express has him going fifth as well. Ford believes he could go as high as No. 2, but much of that will depend on how he compares to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, another sought-after wing player.
It all comes down to the right fit with a player like Beal, unlike a must-have top pick like Anthony Davis. If a team needs a versatile guard who can make quick decisions and, at worst, take nothing away from you with his shooting, Beal is the guy. If a team is worried about size and wants to play a halfcourt game, they'll shy away from him.
Atlantic Notes: Celtics, Knicks, Williams, Iguodala
With a four-game lead heading into the night, it looks like the Celtics will take the Atlantic Division crown this year, completing a dramatic second-half comeback and leaving the Sixers, who led for most of the season, to fight with the Knicks for the last two playoff spots in the Eastern Conference. Of those three teams, only the Sixers are in action tonight, taking on the Magic. There's plenty going on off the court, though, so let's check in with the news from the Eastern seaboard:
- Howard Beck of The New York Times recounts the whirlwind of moves and near-moves that the Celtics and Knicks have endured since they met to open the season.
- Deron Williams can go anywhere he wants this summer as an unrestricted free agent, but he'll be spending part of his time working out with Nets teammate DeShawn Stevenson in New Jersey, writes Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.
- John Mitchell of the Philadelphia Inquirer believes the Sixers will "work tirelessly" to move Andre Iguodala this summer (Twitter link). That will be a challenge, considering he has a total of $30.623MM left on his contract for two more seasons after this one. Iguodala has an early termination option in the final year of the deal, but it's doubtful he'd turn down the $15.9MM he'd earn that season.
- The Nets get the Rockets' first-round pick this year as long as it's not in the lottery. With Houston teetering on the edge of the Western Conference playoff race, Tim Bontemps of the New York Post takes a look at the chances the Nets will hang on to the selection. For a continuously updated look at the probable draft order, bookmark our draft order tracker.
- Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun looks back at the nearly two years since Mikhail Prokhorov was approved as the Nets owner, and sees no progress toward the championship the Russian billionaire vowed the team would win within five years.
