Latest On Rasheed Wallace, Knicks
WEDNESDAY, 4:37pm: Salary doesn't figure to be a factor in Wallace's decision, according to agent Bill Strickland, as Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com writes. It doesn't appear the veteran will seek more than the minimum for the Knicks or any other team if he decides to return.
"He's done very well and he has been good about his money," Strickland said. "I just think that it has got to be the right place."
TUESDAY, 9:41am: Whether or not Rasheed Wallace wears a Knicks uniform this season may be up to Rasheed himself, writes Marc Berman of the New York Post. According to Berman, the Knicks are willing to "take a gamble" on Wallace, but the 38-year-old hasn't decided yet whether he wants to dedicate himself to getting back in NBA shape and playing again.
Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, says six teams have tried to get his client to come out of retirement over the last two years. The Knicks made an attempt last season, and there were strong rumblings that the Lakers were interested as well. Berman also writes of "hints" that the Celtics made a play for Wallace earlier this summer, though Boston has since added other bigs. As for the Knicks' interest, Strickland says he's leaving that decision up to his client.
"He will make this decision on his own," Strickland said. "Rasheed’s his own man. This time I’ll be more a facilitator than an advisor. As he’s told me, he’s a grown man and he’s got this."
Strickland adds that he has yet to talk specific contract details with the Knicks, so it's unclear what sort of deal Wallace could land. The Knicks can't offer more than the minimum salary, of course, but I'm not sure whether they'd be willing to guarantee most or all of a contract for Wallace.
Commenting Policy
Comments of this nature are not allowed at Hoops Rumors:
- Attacks or insults towards other commenters, the post author, journalists, teams, players, or agents
- Inappropriate language, including swearing and related censor bypass attempts, lewdness, insults, and crude terms for body parts, bodily functions, and physical acts. Overall, we don’t want any language that a parent would not want their kid to see.
- Juvenile comments or extensive use of text message-type spelling
- Writing comments in all or mostly caps
- Spam-type links or self-promotion.
- Comments about how you're sick of this topic or it's not newsworthy
- No inappropriate avatars or images are allowed
- Anything else we deem bad for business
If you see comments that fit the above criteria, please flag them and/or contact us. Bans may be handed out liberally by our moderators, without second chances. Remaining civil is not that difficult, though, and most commenters have no problems doing so as well as helping rein each other in. We are grateful for long-time commenters and readers, though this policy applies equally regardless of tenure. This policy is always available at the bottom of the site, and will be re-posted monthly.
Western Notes: Rubio, Arthur, Babbitt, Jones
When the Timberwolves signed Kevin Love to a four-year extension, rather than a five-year deal, many assumed the team was saving its five-year franchise-player designation for Ricky Rubio. However, Britt Robson, who recently wrote about T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor for Twin Cities Business, hears from GM David Kahn that Rubio is likely to receive the same four-year offer Love did (Twitter link). Here are a few more links dealing with Western Conference clubs:
- Darrell Arthur, who was re-signed by the Grizzlies this summer, has suffered a leg fracture and won't be ready for training camp, tweets Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal. It's another bad break for Arthur, who torn his achilles tendon and missed all of last season.
- Luke Babbitt isn't sure whether or not the Trail Blazers will pick up his fourth-year option for 2013/14, but he doesn't intend to let his contract become a distraction, as Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com writes.
- Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News believes Dominique Jones, who also has a fourth-year option decision pending, could be a breakout candidate for the Mavericks.
- Heading into the season with a newly rebuilt roster and virtually no veteran players, GM Daryl Morey thinks his Rockets will be perhaps the league's most difficult team to forecast. Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle has the story.
Thunder Notes: Orton, Harden, Perkins, Thabeet
Thunder GM Sam Presti addressed the media in Oklahoma City earlier today at his preseason press conference. While the Thunder GM was typically evasive on issues like James Harden's contract negotiations, he shared a few notable nuggets. Here are some of the highlights, from The Oklahoman's coverage of the presser:
- After making the Finals this spring, the Thunder will look to continue with the mentality and approach that got them there — thinking big and building small.
- Presti on the possibility of biting the bullet and going into the luxury tax to keep the team's core together: "There are certain realities that we face, and there are some inherent challenges that we face. I don't feel comfortable talking about limitations and things that we ultimately have to decide on, but we're making a commitment to try to put a competitive team on the floor. But we have to do that right thing for the organization."
- The new CBA "is what it is," and the Thunder will have to work within its confines, says Presti.
- The Thunder like Daniel Orton, who signed with the team this summer. He's got a "nice edge to him," according to Presti.
- Asked about Kendrick Perkins' prediction that Harden will want to sign an extension once he gets to camp, Presti stressed that he doesn't want to place expectations on specific people and predict how they're going to react.
- The Thunder hope to have Perkins healthy for the first game of the regular season, but Orton, Hasheem Thabeet, and Cole Aldrich should receive plenty of preseason action while Perkins recovers from wrist and groin injuries.
- Thabeet's conditioning is much improved, according to Presti.
Rajon Rondo Talks Allen, Terry, Lee, Celtics
Since Ray Allen left Boston for Miami, Celtics head coach Doc Rivers has addressed the topic multiple times, taking the blame for Allen's departure. Rajon Rondo, who reportedly had a strained relationship with Allen, hadn't said much about the topic, but in a conversation with Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports, the Celtics point guard opened up about Allen and a number of other topics. Here are a few comments from Rondo, who has been in Los Angeles hosting a players-only minicamp for the Celtics:
On his relationship with Allen:
"People act like because me and Ray didn't get along or they think me and Ray didn't get along that I'm a bad person or he's a bad person. No. It's just life. If you look at your job, everyone doesn't always get along with every co-worker they work with. It's just part of life. People are blowing the Ray thing out of proportion. We had some words, but other than that it was no big deal…. There were so many rumors like I was looking Ray off. Why would I look Ray off? That doesn't make sense. He's the best shooter, so why would I look him off? People can see it how they want to. They can talk to Ray. But from my standpoint, he made his decision. I don't know why he made the decision, but he made the decision. I don't think it had anything to do with me."
On early workouts with new Celtics Jason Terry and Courtney Lee:
"The game is about tempo. We don't want to make it more complicated. It's just basketball. I am just trying to get the timing with J.T. and Courtney. That is why I wanted to get to work early, so I can know where I want them to be when I drive baseline or drive to the middle and where they like the ball."
On his role as a leader for the Celtics:
"I've kind of have taken that leadership and veteran role because I am a point guard and I have been in Doc's system. Other than [Paul Pierce], I have been here the longest. I know exactly what Doc wants, especially for me and this team. I'm trying to lead the team the best that I can."
On the Celtics' expectations in 2012/13:
"We won a championship and that's great, but I don't want to settle. I have a lot of NBA time left on my clock and I got the talent around me. Everyone can't say they can compete for a championship each year. With the talent around me now with the Celtics, it's time to obtain that goal…. There are only five teams right now that can say they can compete for a title realistically. And we're one of them."
Free Agents Seeking More Than The Minimum
With free agents like Jonny Flynn, Louis Amundson, and Anthony Tolliver coming off the board this week, there aren't many recognizable names left on our list of available players. Of the unrestricted free agents still on the market, a handful stand out: Leandro Barbosa, Kenyon Martin, Mehmet Okur, Mickael Pietrus, and Tracy McGrady.
There's no question that any of these players could help an NBA team. None of them are stars or maybe even starters anymore, but they're solid role players that won't hurt you off the bench. So why are they still on the market? I don't have any inside info about their contract negotiations, but I'd guess it's because their asking prices remain too high. Here's what we've heard this offseason about the contracts these guys are after:
- Leandro Barbosa: Barbosa was looking for a multiyear contract earlier this summer, and his interest in the Cavs, who have a ton of cap space, suggested he didn't want to take a huge pay cut. It looks like he won't have much choice in the matter, but I'm not sure he's willing to settle for the minimum yet, or he'd already be signed.
- Kenyon Martin: We've heard multiple times this offseason that Martin is seeking more than the veteran's minimum. Most recently, Timberwolves assistant coach Bill Bayno said Martin's asking price is the reason his team isn't pursuing the former first overall pick.
- Mehmet Okur: The Timberwolves were linked frequently to Okur this offseason, but the team's inability to offer more than the minimum was a roadblock. It seems Okur's best shot at a bigger payday may come from a Turkish team.
- Mickael Pietrus: Agent Bill McCandless stated pretty unequivocally back in July that his client wouldn't be signing for the veteran's minimum. With Pietrus still unsigned, you have to wonder if recent reports of the former Celtic drawing heavy interest and possibly closing in on a deal were floated by McCandless to try to drum up last-minute interest from teams with some spending room.
- Tracy McGrady: There haven't been any reports this offseason explicitly suggesting that McGrady isn't interested in the veteran's minimum, but after a solid 2011/12 season in Atlanta, I would think there'd be plenty of teams interested in signing him at that price. The Knicks, for instance, are reportedly willing to take a flier on Rasheed Wallace, but are no longer interested in McGrady. It could just be a matter of Wallace being a better fit, but it wouldn't be surprising if T-Mac's asking price was still too high.
There are a number of other players on our list of free agents who could still be after more than the minimum — Derek Fisher, Michael Redd, and Josh Howard, to name a few. But it appears the five listed above are the best bets to force a team to dip into its cap space, mid-level exception, or bi-annual exception.
Still, we're at a point in the offseason where very few, if any, players are receiving more than minimum-salary offers. So if these free agents don't receive any NBA offers they like, perhaps they'll seriously consider signing overseas, an option that could appeal in particular to players like Barbosa, Okur, and Pietrus, who have international roots.
Heat Rumors: Harrellson, Gladness, Howard
Coming off a championship season and a summer in which they didn't lose any significant pieces, the Heat appear to have less uncertainty heading into the 2012/13 season than any other team in the NBA. Still, Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel is able to identify 10 questions facing the Heat as they get set to open training camp. Here are the rest of the morning's notes from out of Miami:
- In his latest mailbag, Winderman says he wouldn't mind seeing the Heat add a little more depth at point guard, perhaps a defensive-minded player.
- The Heat are expected to keep two of Dexter Pittman, Josh Harrellson, Mickell Gladness, and Jarvis Varnado, says Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. Of those four, Pittman has a leg up since his contract is guaranteed.
- One Eastern Conference scout on a couple of Miami's options: "Harrellson can be exposed defensively, but he’s a better player than Gladness and more skilled. Gladness is athletic and long but has no offensive game. Harrellson can shoot it and plays his butt off."
- Juwan Howard is still working out with the Heat and hopes to earn a one-year deal from the team, according to Jackson.
- Terrel Harris and Garrett Temple will likely compete for the final perimeter spot, says Jackson.
- Shane Battier tells Jackson that he thinks he could get away with playing primarily at power forward this season, if the team needs him there: "The regular season is not as physical as the playoffs. Guys aren’t hitting as hard."
Players On Non-Guaranteed Contracts
As players continue to be signed and released, and training camp rosters become finalized, Hoops Rumors has been tracking the players whose contracts aren't fully guaranteed. Because teams can carry up to 20 players during the offseason, a number that must be reduced to 15 by opening night, guys whose contracts aren't guaranteed are the best bets to be waived or traded by the end of October.
While a handful of teams will undoubtedly end up eating a little money by waiving a player with a guaranteed contract in favor of a non-guaranteed player that excels in training camp and the preseason, the players without full guarantees will generally be first on the chopping block. That's especially true for free agents who signed summer contracts — those deals don't even count toward team salary until the season gets underway.
Hoops Rumors' full list of non-guaranteed players for 2012/13 is located right here, and can be found anytime on the right sidebar under "Hoops Rumors Features." Although plenty of decisions on these players will be made by October 30th, many non-guaranteed deals don't officially become fully guaranteed until January 10th, so this page will be updated until that deadline.
If you notice any errors or omissions on our list of non-guaranteed contracts, please contact us and let us know. A number of players who are expected to be on training camp rosters, including Armon Johnson (Magic), DeQuan Jones (Magic), D.J. Kennedy (Grizzlies), Courtney Fortson (Clippers), Darnell Jackson (Jazz), and Trey Gilder (Jazz), will be added to the list when we receive official word that they're on board with their respective clubs.
Odds & Ends: Bobcats, Calderon, Rockets, Nene
The Bobcats certainly aren't a model of NBA success, but according to team president Fred Whitfield, the franchise was in even worse shape when he took the job in 2006, as Ely Portillo of the Charlotte Observer writes. “A lot of my friends that were very connected in this community told me to turn this job down,” Whitfield said. “They said literally everything that could be wrong with a company is wrong with the Bobcats.” While the 'Cats prepare to erase the memories of last season's on-court debacle when training camp starts next week, here's the latest from the rest of the league:
- Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun, looking at ways the Raptors can improve offensively this year, says Jose Calderon is likely to come off the bench behind offseason acquisition Kyle Lowry. Calderon's name has been frequently mentioned as a trade candidate for this season.
- The Rockets have a slew of young players and an eye on the future, but GM Daryl Morey promises coach Kevin McHale won't dole out minutes just for player development purposes, Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle writes.
- In the same piece, Feigen says Patrick Patterson, whose team option for 2013/14 must be picked by October 31st for the Rockets to keep him from unrestricted free agency next summer, is likely to start at power forward.
- Lingering plantar fasciitis in Nene's left foot may cause him to miss the start of training camp, but the Wizards expect him to be ready for the regular season, Michael Lee of The Washington Post reports.
Clippers To Sign Courtney Fortson
The Clippers will sign point guard Courtney Fortson after he clears waivers from the Rockets, who cut him loose earlier today, tweets Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld. Kennedy indicates that it's just a training camp invitation, which would likely mean a non-guaranteed deal for the minimum salary.
It will be Fortson's third stint with the Clippers in less than 12 months. The team brought him to last year's training camp, but waived him on the eve of the regular season, picking him back up three weeks later. The Clippers waived him again after 11 days, and he signed a ten-day contract with the Rockets in March, followed by a deal that kept him with Houston for the rest of the season.
Fortson played in only 10 total NBA games last season, and saw most of his action in the D-League. He put up 17.2 points and 6.2 assists in 34.2 minutes per game in 31 contests with the Los Angeles D-Fenders and the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. The 5'11" University of Arkansas product averaged 3.5 PPG and 1.0 APG with a 9.9 PER in limited action for the Clippers and Rockets.
The move will bring the Clippers roster to 16 players, but with 15 of them on fully guaranteed contracts, Fortson is a long shot to make the team. To keep him, the Clippers would have to trade someone else or waive a player with a guaranteed deal and absorb the cost.
