THURSDAY, 5:28pm: The Celtics have confirmed the move in a press release. The Brazilian native won't be available for the team's preseason game tonight against the Nets because of unresolved visa issues.
WEDNESDAY, 3:56pm: Barbosa's deal will be for the veteran's minimum, according to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
3:21pm: The Celtics and unrestricted free agent Leandro Barbosa have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter). Paul Flannery of WEEI.com had reported yesterday that the C's were looking to add another veteran before the end of this week.
After the Celtics waived Dionte Christmas and Jamar Smith yesterday, it left just 16 players left on the team's roster, including Rob Kurz and Micah Downs, who are unlikely to survive cuts. Coach Doc Rivers had said the Celtics planned to open the season with a full 15-man roster, according to Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald, so Barbosa and rookie Kris Joseph appear to be good bets to earn the 14th and 15th spots.
As Rich Levine of CSNNE.com wrote earlier today, the Celtics haven't had a true backup point guard for the last few seasons; Barbosa doesn't exactly match that description either, since he can play both guard positions, and is probably a more natural fit at the two. Still, he seems as likely as anyone to occupy the role that Keyon Dooling had in Boston before Dooling unexpectedly retired last month.
Barbosa, 29, averaged 11.1 PPG on .425/.382/.815 shooting a year ago in 64 games for the Raptors and Pacers. He was said to be seeking more than the minimum, but it was still a little surprising that he remained unsigned this late into the fall. Terms of his agreement with the Celtics aren't known, but I'd guess it'll be a guaranteed, minimum-salary contract. Boston was also believed to have the $1.957MM bi-annual exception in its pocket, but GM Danny Ainge indicated last month that the BAE wasn't available.