Here are a few Thursday afternoon items from around the Western Conference:
- After Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities tweeted last night that former Northeastern guard Matt Janning would work out for the Timberwolves, Shams Charania of RealGM.com confirmed (via Twitter) that the workout happened today. While he could receive a camp invite from the Wolves (Twitter link via Wolfson), Janning has an agreement in place with a Croatian team, and Charania suggests he probably won't receive enough NBA interest to pull out of that deal.
- In a conversation with Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld, J.J. Barea raved about the Timberwolves' offseason moves and expressed confidence about the team's 2013/14 season.
- In a piece for the Hollywood Reporter, Ric Bucher quotes Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss as saying Dwight Howard was "never really a Laker," and that D12 was "just passing through."
- Asked whether he expects Kobe Bryant to be a Laker three year from now, GM Mitch Kupchak replied, "If he can play at a high level, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be" (Twitter link via Mark Willard of ESPN LA 710).
- After speaking to executives around the NBA, ESPN.com's Chris Broussard (Insider link) names Stephen Curry as one of his dark-horse MVP candidates for next season.