It’s a “no-brainer” that Carmelo Anthony will re-sign with the Knicks, Metta World Peace believes. Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com and Frank Isola of the New York Daily News have more from the former Ron Artest, whom the Knicks waived Monday in a buyout arrangement, and there’s news about Anthony’s future as well as we look at the latest on the struggling Knicks:
- The Knicks haven’t ruled out pursuing Fredette, but the team will focus on upgrading its defense as it looks to fill its pair of open roster spots, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
- No one with ties to the Knicks believes Anthony will leave the team this summer, writes Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, who notes that Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, spoke with Knicks GM Steve Mills and assistant GM Allan Houston on Monday night.
- World Peace says the Knicks never gave him a fair chance to play, but he adds that he never demanded more minutes. “My thing was I want to play two more seasons,” World Peace explained to Isola. “If I’m not playing this year I’m definitely not going to play next year, so I should probably go somewhere else. I wanted to win here. When you’re married to a city like New York City, just because (people don’t agree) doesn’t mean you turn your back on the city. My agent told me Steve Mills said that he understands why being moved would be a good thing.” World Peace, who was on a two-year contract with the Knicks, has previously said he wants to play five more seasons.
- The Knicks are seeking three-point shooting, as we noted earlier today when a report linked them to Jimmer Fredette, who’s close to a buyout from the Kings. The team may also be in need of a point guard stemming from Raymond Felton‘s arrest on gun charges Monday night. Acting union executive director Ron Klempner is nonetheless already indicating that the Knicks would face resistance if they tried to discipline Felton at this point, as Marc Berman of the New York Post reports.