MONDAY, 2:00pm: The deal is official, the Heat announced.
“It’s great to have Mario back,” team president Pat Riley said in the team’s statement. “We’re happy that he wants to continue his career in Miami, he’s one of our core players, and I believe he will have a great season.”
SUNDAY, 10:50pm: It’s a two-year, $8MM+ deal, according to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein (via Twitter).
LeBron James, who affectionately referred to Chalmers as “‘Rio”, is gone, but the Heat appear to be on their way to keeping the rest of their core in place. Chalmers is back on a two-year deal, Bosh will re-sign on a max deal, and Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem are close to new contracts in Miami.
The Heat were said to be considering sign-and-trade possibilities for Chalmers last week. The 28-year-old struggled mightily in the playoffs, averaging only 6.4 points per contest, and was benched for the team’s final postseason game. It was the first time he didn’t start for the Heat in the past three seasons, and he recorded a career-high 14.0 PER this past year during the regular season. He tied his career mark with 4.9 assists per game, and his 9.8 PPG approached his best, too.