And-Ones: Colangelo, Timberwolves, Leonard

Jerry Colangelo will step down as chairman of USA Basketball after the 2020 Olympics, he confirms to TNT’s David Aldridge, who writes about it in his Morning Tip column for NBA.com. Colangelo nonetheless committed to remain in his job that long to help persuade Gregg Popovich to take over as Team USA head coach, Aldridge notes. Popovich is also signed only through 2020, though it’s unclear if he’s open to coaching the team beyond then. “For sure, I’m done in ’20,” Colangelo said. “There’s an end date.”

In other news around the league:

  • The Timberwolves spoke with league officials about postponing Wednesday’s season opener against the Lakers after coach Flip Saunders succumbed to complications from cancer treatments on Sunday, but the talks never reached a serious stage, Jerry Zgoda of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports. The sorrowful Timberwolves know it will be difficult to play so soon after their coach’s untimely death, Zgoda adds. “We’re definitely in a tough spot, but we’re gonna do the best we can,” veteran small forward Tayshaun Prince said.
  • The Trail Blazers have not engaged in extension talks with center Meyers Leonard, according to Jason Quick of CSNNW.comNeil Olshey, the Blazers’ president of basketball operations, delayed the process because he wanted to avoid drawn-out negotiations with Leonard’s agent Aaron Mintz, Quick continues. The Blazers can preserve cap space for next summer by putting off the extension, Quick points out, because the first year of his salary would count against the cap if they sign him before the Nov. 2nd deadline.
  • Owners are looking to former agent Arn Tellem, who joined the Pistons organization as an executive this year, for perspective as they prepare to negotiate on labor issues with the players, reports Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter links). Tellem, who is the vice chairman of the Palace Sports and Entertainment group that controls the Pistons, addressed owners at last week’s Board of Governors meeting.

Eastern Notes: Sefolosha, George, Pistons

Hawks shooting guard Thabo Sefolosha will file a civil lawsuit against New York City, its police department and the officers involved for injuries suffered during his arrest outside a Manhattan night club in April, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Hannah Storm of ESPN.com report. In an interview with Storm — who broke the story — Sefolosha expressed concern about long-term effects from the fractured right tibia and ankle ligament damage he suffered during the arrest. “There is a lot of unknown about how this will affect me two years from now, five years from now, 10 years from now,” Sefolosha said in the television interview. “Also because I think it’s the right approach to put lights on a situation like this and be able to fight back in a legal way and in a way that can empower, hopefully.”

In other news around the Eastern Conference:

  • Paul George is getting comfortable with the idea of moving to power forward after initial resistance, according to Steve Aschburner of NBA.com. Pacers coach Frank Vogel told Aschburner that George won’t be a prototypical power forward; he’ll just have more space to utilize his skills. George has gained a greater understanding of his new role after talks with Vogel and team president Larry Bird“At one point, it was hard to wrap [my head around] everything,” he told Aschburner. “Here I am coming back from a big-time injury and wanting to get back to what I used to be, playing the three. Then I come back playing a stretch four — it took a toll on me mentally. But the more we’ve had practice time and I’ve had sit-down moments with coach and with Larry, the more at ease I’ve felt about the situation.”
  • Reggie Bullock wowed Pistons coach/executive Stan Van Gundy during the preseason, which secured not only his place on the roster but also his 2016/17 team option, which Detroit exercised SundayVince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press has the details. “If you really look at the whole thing and you look at consistency game in and game out he was our best player in preseason,” Van Gundy said of the small forward. “I mean, certainly our most consistent guy in the preseason. Really, I mean it would be hard to really find any fault with what he did in the preseason. He’s certainly gained our confidence and by ours, I mean coaching staff and teammates. I think he’s got everybody’s confidence heading into the season.”
  • Point guard Marcus Smart, rookie shooting guard R.J. Hunter and power forward Kelly Olynyk are among the players who excelled during the Celtics’ training camp, Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reports. Smart is emerging as a team leader, Hunter has opened eyes with his playmaking skills and Olynyk is shooting with more confidence, Washburn continues. But power forward Jared Sullinger reported to camp overweight and small forward James Young is still another season away from cracking the rotation, Washburn adds.

Western Rumors: World Peace, Clippers, McGee

Metta World Peace not only made the Lakers‘ opening-day roster, but the club also plans to make him an assistant coach after his playing career, league sources told Yahoo Sports’ Shams Charania. The veteran small forward, who beat out Jabari Brown for the final roster spot, has been mentoring several young Lakers players, including 2014 lottery pick and power forward Julius Randle, Charania adds. World Peace is excited about the possibility of being a coach, ESPN’s Baxter Holmes tweets. “It would be fun,” World Peace said. I mean, who wouldn’t want to be a coach? It’s a great life.”

In other news around the Western Conference:

  • Luc Mbah a Moute secured the Clippers’ final roster spot over veteran forward Chuck Hayes because of his defensive prowess, Dan Woike of the Orange County Register reports. Clippers coach Doc Rivers told Woike that he views Mbah a Moute as a defensive specialist. “He’s one of those guys that can be a great team defender,” Rivers said. The small forward wound up with the Clippers after the Kings voided Mbah a Moute’s free agent deal with the team this summer, claiming he failed his physical because of a shoulder injury, Woike adds.
  • Center JaVale McGee is still “weeks away” from being cleared to play but Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle is encouraged by his progress, Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com tweets. McGee is rehabbing from a left tibial stress fracture. Salah Mejri appears to be the main backup to Zaza Pachulia until McGee returns.
  • Al-Farouq Aminu has made a strong impression on his Trail Blazers teammates with his defensive versatility, according to Joe Freeman of The Oregonian. Aminu was signed as a free agent to a four-year, $30MM deal to be their defensive stopper, Freeman continues. “He’s a jack-of-all-trades, a guy who can do everything,” shooting guard C.J. McCollum said to Freeman. “I think he’s really, really talented defensively. He’s a guy who can guard multiple positions, can guard a point guard, he can get switched on the four or five and hold his own, rebound, block shots, run the floor.” However, he may miss the season opener because of a left hamstring strain, Casey Holdahl of Trailblazers.com reports.
  • Rockets point guard Patrick Beverley is ready for the season opener after a hand injury that required surgery prevented him from playing during the team’s postseason run, Jenny Creech of the Houston Chronicle writes. Beverley missed one preseason game with groin soreness, but averaged 7.7 points and 3.7 assists in seven other preseason outings.

Suns Exercise 2016/17 Options On Trio

The Suns have exercised their 2016/17 options on shooting guard Archie Goodwin, center Alex Len and small forward T.J. Warren, according to a team release. Goodwin and Len will be entering their fourth seasons in 2016/17, while Warren will be entering his third season.

Phoenix adds approximately $9MM in salary commitments after already handing out nearly $51MM in guaranteed contracts next season. Most of that guaranteed money was delved out to four starters — the backcourt of Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe, power forward Markieff Morris and center Tyson Chandler.

Goodwin’s option is worth $2,094,089, while Len has a $4,823,621 salary for his fourth season. Warren will make $2,128,920 next season.

Goodwin averaged 5.6 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists and 13.0 minutes in 41 games last season. Len averaged 6.3 points, 6.6 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and 22.0 minutes in 69 games. Warren, the 14th pick of the 2014 draft, averaged 6.1 points, 2.1 rebounds and 15.4 minutes in 40 games.

Teams Set Opening Night Rosters

NBA teams have finalized their opening night rosters and sent copies to the league, the NBA announced via press release. The deadline for teams to do so was 4pm Central today. That led to a flurry of movement as front offices worked to drop from the 20-man preseason limit to the 15-man regular season maximum. No team pulled off more moves today than the Sixers, as they waived five players who were with the team for the preseason and quickly signed and waived another to grab his D-League rights.

The Rockets, Knicks, Magic, Suns start the season with 14 players, but all other NBA teams are at 15. That means 446 players are under contract to start the NBA season.

Eddie Scarito of Hoops Rumors has been keeping track of these rosters as they’ve developed throughout the offseason, and now each of our 2015/16 rosters has been updated for opening night. Click here to see links to the roster for each of the NBA’s 30 teams, with listings of every player’s guarantee status, how each player initially joined his team, and other biographical data.

Bucks Pick Up 2016/17 Options On Four

The Bucks have exercised their rookie scale options for 2016/17 on Tyler Ennis, Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Michael Carter-Williams, the team announced, assuring them of their salaries for that season. The moves add more than $13.287MM to Milwaukee’s books, giving the Bucks close to $62MM in guaranteed salary against a projected $89MM cap for 2016/17.

Ennis has a salary of $1,733,880 for next season, while Parker will get $5,374,320. Antetokounmpo will receive $2,995,421, while Carter-Williams’ option will cost the Bucks $3,183,526. Milwaukee is already on the hook for three contracts above $12MM next season, as the salaries of Greg Monroe, Khris Middleton and John Henson add up to approximately $44.6MM.

It was a foregone conclusion the Bucks would pick up the options on three starters with only the Ennis move counting as somewhat of a surprise. The 21-year-old point guard appeared in 33 games last season as a rookie — eight with the Suns and 25 with the Bucks after he was acquired in the Brandon Knight deal. He had shoulder surgery during the offseason and isn’t expected back until sometime next month.

Spurs Pick Up 2016/17 Option On Kyle Anderson

The Spurs have exercised their 2016/17 team option on small forward Kyle Anderson‘s rookie scale contract, the team announced via press release. That locks in a guaranteed salary of $1,192,080 for the 2014 No. 30 overall pick. The move appeared generally likely, though his option pickup wasn’t quite the certainty that others were.

Anderson, nicknamed Slow Mo for his lack of quickness, found his place in the NBA thanks to his canny on-court moves and and 6’8″ size. He saw limited playing time on a Spurs team that was trying to repeat as champions last season, averaging 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in 10.8 minutes per game across 33 appearances, though he did make eight starts. San Antonio assigned Anderson to the D-League seven times last season, and he played in 26 D-League games.

The option doesn’t do much to affect the math for San Antonio next summer. The Spurs now have about $70.4MM in guaranteed salary against a projected $89MM cap for 2016/17, though that doesn’t count any salary for Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili or David West, all of whom have player options. Anderson has one more team option left on his contract, for 2017/18.

Sixers Sign, Waive Jordan Railey

The Sixers signed and waived Jordan Railey, the team announced via press release. The move involving the undrafted Washington State center is designed to secure his D-League rights, the team says. Philadelphia will make Railey one of four camp cuts whose D-League rights it’s allowed to claim through the affiliate player rule, providing he clears waivers. The statement from the Sixers also confirmed that they’ve waived Jordan McRae, Furkan Aldemir, Scottie Wilbekin, Pierre Jackson, and J.P. Tokoto, as a series of five previous reports indicated.

Philadelphia first connected with Railey when he played for the Sixers summer league team in July, scoring three points in at least 15 minutes of action spread over three games. Railey had signed during the summer with BC Igokea of Bosnia, but either that contract included an NBA escape clause or the team decided to part ways with the 23-year-old 7-footer. He averaged 6.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.0 block in 16.4 minutes per game as a senior last season at Washington State, where he played his final two collegiate seasons after starting at Iowa State.

Grizzlies Waive Ryan Hollins

The Grizzlies have waived Ryan Hollins, the team announced via press release. Ronald Tillery of The Commercial Appeal reported moments before the 4pm Central deadline for the move to take place that Hollins was about to hit waivers (Twitter link). He was presumably going head-to-head against JaMychal Green for a regular season roster spot, as the 14 other Grizzlies have full guarantees, though Jarnell Stokes, who possesses a fully guaranteed one-year veteran’s minimum salary, had reportedly fallen out of favor lately. Hollins’ deal is non-guaranteed, though the Grizzlies will have a small cap hit since they failed to waive him by Saturday’s deadline to remove non-guaranteed salary from the books, presuming he clears waivers. Green has a partial guarantee of $150K.

Hollins, 31, was trying to make an NBA regular season roster for the 10th consecutive season, even though he’s averaged only 11.8 minutes per game for his career. He saw about that same level of playing time in the preseason for Memphis, averaging 5.4 points and 3.0 rebounds in 11.5 minutes per contests over seven appearances.

The Wizards, Kings, Clippers, Mavericks and Pelicans were all reportedly interested in Hollins at some point over the summer, suggesting that he stands a decent chance to surface on another team’s roster sometime soon. Teams can continue to sign players to non-guaranteed contracts until January, when 10-day deals begin.

Jazz Waive Phil Pressey, Eric Atkins

The Jazz have waived Phil Pressey and Eric Atkins, the team announced. The moves, which reduce the team’s roster to the 15-man regular season maximum, were expected, as Jody Genessy of the Deseret News reported (Twitter link). Neither had any guaranteed salary, though the Jazz will incur a small cap hit for both since they were on the roster past Saturday’s deadline to remove non-guaranteed salary.

Pressey spent the preseason with the Trail Blazers, losing a battle with Tim Frazier for the team’s third-string point guard job. Utah claimed Pressey off waivers Sunday after Portland released the two-year NBA veteran on Friday. It was the second time the 24-year-old was on waivers in the past few months, as the Celtics cut him loose in mid-July, a move that was tough for Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, who said Pressey might have been “my favorite player I’ve ever been around in the NBA, as a player, a coach or as an executive.”

Atkins, a 23-year-old point guard who went undrafted out of Notre Dame in 2014, had just signed with Utah on Sunday. He spent last season playing in Greece.

The Jazz made both moves with the D-League in mind, according to Genessy. Utah can use the affiliate player rule to claim the D-League rights of as many as four of the players it waives.