Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 4/3/16

Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young aren’t injured, but Nets GM Sean Marks announced today that they will be held out of games for the rest of the season. The Kings began resting their best players earlier this week, and coach George Karl said Friday that DeMarcus Cousins won’t play any more road games this season.

Sacramento has incentive to protect its first-round draft pick, which will go to Chicago if it falls outside the top 10. The Kings are currently seventh in Hoops Rumors’ reverse standings with a 31-46 record, but only one and a half games separate them from 11th-place Orlando. The Knicks, Nuggets and Bucks are also in that mix. That’s likely why Cousins, Rajon Rondo and Rudy Gay were held out of last Monday’s game, along with Marco Belinelli, who has an aching right foot.

Brooklyn doesn’t have to worry about its first-rounder, which is already pledged to Boston with no protection. The Nets are more concerned about possible injuries to Lopez and Young, who are their most productive players and best potential trade assets. “I think two people had gotten injured playing in meaningless games finishing up the season,” Lopez said to ESPN.com’s Mike Mazzeo. “So [Marks] just wanted to take sort of a precautionary angle going forward.”

Resting healthy players isn’t a new issue in the NBA. Contending teams have been doing it for years, especially once their playoff fates are sealed. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has been willing to risk league discipline for giving his stars a night off when he believes a grueling schedule calls for it. In 2012, he was famously fined $250K for leaving Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green in San Antonio for a televised game in Miami.

But resting players to keep them fresh for the playoffs is different than keeping them out to avoid losing a draft pick or to prevent a late-season injury. There are ethical concerns, especially when fans pay high ticket prices to watch stars perform. That leads us to tonight’s question: Should the NBA adopt new rules to prevent the resting of healthy players and should the Nets and Kings be punished for their actions?

Take to the comments section below to share your thoughts and opinions on the topic. We look forward to what you have to say.

Thon Maker Seeks To Be Part Of 2016 Draft

International star Thon Maker will try to enter the 2016 draft, reports Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress. The seven-footer confirmed the news in a Bleacher Report video. Maker, 19, will claim to be eligible because he graduated from high school in Canada in June of last year, which technically makes him a fifth-year high school student.

Originally from the Sudan, Maker attends Orangeville District Secondary School in Ontario and plays for Canada’s Athlete Institute. He previously played at two high schools in Louisiana and one in Virginia.

The NBA’s current collective bargaining agreement requires players to be at least 19 before entering the draft and stipulates that one full NBA season must have been completed since the player’s high school graduation. If Maker graduated last year, he will have met both requirements in time for the June 23rd draft.

Maker has announced that he will skip this week’s Nike Hoop Summit in Portland to concentrate on preparing for the draft. Givony says Maker failed to make a strong impression at last year’s event and that his overall draft stock has been falling due to lackluster performances at similar events, the most recent being the NBA Basketball Without Borders Global Camp during All-Star Weekend. DraftExpress has him listed as 44th in its most recent ranking of the top 100 prospects.

Givony lists “competitiveness, physicality and intensity level” as the best parts of Maker’s game, along with increased upper-body strength and the ability to hit an occasional 3-pointer. However, he warns that Maker has little offensive polish, explosiveness or feel for the game and may take a long time to develop into a productive NBA player.

Maker made recruiting visits to Kansas and UNLV in March, and had trips scheduled to Arizona State and Notre Dame set for later this month. However, Givony notes that amateurism concerns were hanging over Maker’s college eligibility and may have pushed him to opt for the draft instead.

Marquette PF Henry Ellenson To Enter Draft

Freshman power forward Henry Ellenson of Marquette plans to declare for the NBA draft and hire an agent, tweets Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com. The move has been expected as Ellenson projects as one of the top players in the June 23rd draft. Jonathan Givony’s DraftExpress list of the top 100 prospects ranks Ellenson ninth overall, while Chad Ford has him sixth in his latest ESPN Insider rankings.

The 6’10” Ellenson, who hails from Rice Lake, Wisconsin, came to Marquette as a top prospect. He was listed as the ninth-best high school senior in the nation in the Recruiting Services Consensus Index. Ellenson averaged nearly a double-double in his only season with the Golden Eagles with 17.0 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. He shot 45% from the field, but only 29% in 104 attempts from 3-point range.

Ellenson was named Big East Rookie of the Year and was a first-team all-conference selection. Givony says his height, length, reach and strength all project well for an NBA power forward. He’s also mobile and can handle the ball well for his size. Potential drawbacks include weakness as a passer and a lack of explosiveness on defense. He has also struggled with weight problems in the past.

Southeast Notes: Wright, Weber, McRoberts, Beal

The Heat are considering Dorell Wright for one of their open roster spots, according to Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald. The 30-year-old Wright, who played his first six NBA seasons in Miami, recently became available after his team in China finished its season. Jackson says the Heat are also looking at point guard Briante Weber, who had a 10-day contract with the Grizzlies last month and is currently with Miami’s D-League affiliate in Sioux Falls. The Heat plan to fill both spots, Jackson notes, but they have to wait until they’re sure the moves won’t put them back above the tax threshold. They could make the first of the signings Thursday if they wait until April 13th, the final day of the regular season, to make the second.

There’s more news from the Southeast Division:

  • Josh McRoberts has been forced to battle for playing time in the second year of a free agent contract he signed with the Heat in 2014, notes Ira Winderman of The Sun-Sentinel. The 6’10” power forward/center is averaging just 14.3 minutes through 39 games in an injury-plagued season. McRoberts, who still has two years and more than $11.8MM left on his deal, would like to become part of Miami’s rotation in time for the playoffs. “Obviously, you want to play in every game,” McRoberts said. “I’m professional. I’m here to be ready when my number’s called.”
  • Bradley Beal stands behind the pointed comments he made about the Wizards‘ shortcomings following this week’s loss in Sacramento, according to Jorge Castillo of The Washington Post. Beal, a restricted free agent this summer, said his team lacks the hunger to be successful and does too much complaining. Teammate Marcin Gortat objected on Twitter, but Beal isn’t backing down. “I do not regret what I said at all,” Beal said. “I meant what I said and I said what I meant. I’m not going back on it.”
  • The Hornets have recalled rookie point guard Aaron Harrison from the D-League. Harrison was with the Erie BayHawks after spending two previous stints with the Oklahoma City Blue. He has averaged 17.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 13 D-League games.

Northwest Notes: Towns, Lyles, Gallinari, Pleiss

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle views Wolves rookie Karl-Anthony Towns as a “next generation” type of player with his combination of size and ability, according to The Associated Press“There are going to be guys like him,” Carlisle said, “that have the great size and length and still can play the ‘4’ [power forward], those super athletes with super length that now are still damn quick and can do anything on the basketball court. He’s an unbelievable weapon for them.” Towns is a heavy favorite to give Minnesota its second straight Rookie of the Year winner, following Andrew Wiggins last season.

There’s more from the Northwest Division:

  • Towns has won every Western Conference Rookie of the Month award this season, but even that doesn’t reflect how dominant his first season has been, writes Eric Saar of Basketball Insiders. Towns’ player efficiency rating of 22.80 is the second highest in NBA history for a 20-year old, trailing Shaquille O’Neal by a tenth of a point. He also ranks among the best-ever 20-year-olds in win shares, scoring average, blocks per game, rebounding, true shooting percentage, effective field goal percentage and overall field goal percentage.
  • Towns has been impressed by the play of fellow rookie and former Kentucky teammate Trey Lyles, according to Samuel Benson of The Deseret News. Utah made Lyles the 12th overall pick of last year’s draft and eased him into its rotation. He is averaging 5.6 points and 3.6 rebounds a night through 74 games but made an impact with 17 first-half points in Friday’s win over Minnesota. “[Lyles] has been a tremendous player since high school and proved in college how great he was,” Towns said. “… “He’s going to be the future of this [Jazz] team.”
  • The Nuggets will miss the postseason for the third straight year, and Danilo Gallinari expressed frustration to Christopher Dempsey of The Denver Post about the lack of progress. Gallinari has fond memories of the years when George Karl coached in Denver and the Nuggets were regular contenders. “Honestly, we didn’t make the playoffs this year,” Gallinari said. “I’m asking you; do you think that the same thing that didn’t make the playoffs this year is a championship team next year? I don’t think so.”
  • The Jazz have recalled center Tibor Pleiss from their Idaho affiliate in the D-League. Pleiss, who has made five D-League trips this season, has appeared in 12 games for Utah, averaging 2.0 points and 1.3 rebounds.

Hoops Links: Russell, Knicks, Harris

Every Sunday, we link to some of the very best work from around the basketball blogosphere. Do you have a link to a great basketball blog post – either your own or someone else’s – that you want to see featured on Hoops Rumors? Then you should send it to us at HoopsLinks@gmail.com. Here’s this week’s rundown …

Please send submissions for Hoops Links to Zach at HoopsLinks@gmail.com.

Pistons Notes: Draft, Jackson, Van Gundy

Pistons assistant GM Brian Wright, who is in charge of the team’s college and international scouting, understands why some may think there is a greater chance of Detroit trading its first round pick since it was included in the voided trade for Donatas Motiejunas, but added the team’s process is the same in terms of draft preparation in an interesting Q&A with David Mayo of MLive.

“Obviously, we’re a young team and winning in the NBA is tough to do when you’re a young team,” Wright said. “But I do think you just prepare. If it’s drafting an 18- or 19-year-old, then you draft the 18- or 19-year-old if that’s the guy who’s going to help your team. Or if there’s something else there that makes you better, then you look at that. From all standpoints, I think we discuss it as a group and whatever’s best for the organization is what we’ll do.”

Here’s more out of Detroit:

  • Pistons GM Jeff Bower told Noah Coslov of Bleacher Report that he has seen Reggie Jackson celebrate in the past similarly to the way he did recently against the Thunder, Jackson’s former team (Twitter link). Jackson’s reaction after Detroit’s win against the Thunder drew criticism from some Oklahoma City players.
  • Speaking of Jackson, he must take a step forward in order for the Pistons to be considered as a serious contender in the near future, Rod Beard of the Detroit News argues. A good showing in the postseason would help, of course, too, Beard adds. The Pistons are seventh in the East with a 41-36 record.
  • Several bold moves executed by executive/coach Stan Van Gundy, such as trading for Jackson, drafting Stanley Johnson and acquiring Tobias Harris are why the Pistons are in position to earn a spot in the postseason, Beard opines in a separate column. The next step for Van Gundy is to find complementary pieces for the team’s nucleus, Beard writes.

Jason Terry Out Of Running For UAB Job

SUNDAY, 1:52pm: Terry is no longer being considered for the job, he confirmed to Mark Berman of Fox 26 Houston (on Twitter).

THURSDAY, 11:24 pm: Terry has confirmed that he interviewed for the job, tweets Calvin Watkins of ESPN.com.

10:24 pm: Rockets guard Jason Terry has spoken to Alabama-Birmingham about its head coaching vacancy, according to Drew Champlin of AL.com. The 38-year-old signed a one-year deal with Houston in August, so he will be free to pursue coaching once the season ends.

UAB athletics director Mark Ingram is talking with potential candidates in Houston, which is hosting the Final Four this weekend. Former NBA star and current Auburn assistant Chuck Person is another possible replacement for ex-coach Jerod Haase, who left for Stanford last week.

Terry has never coached before, but he has interest in that line of work once his playing career ends, writes Matthew Stevens of The Montgomery Advertiser. In his 17th NBA season, Terry is averaging 5.8 points per night in 65 games with the Rockets.

Atlantic Notes: Nets, Draft Pick, Patterson, Williams

The Nets are using what’s left of this season to determine who they want back next season, writes Brian Lewis of The New York Post. Interim coach Tony Brown has been juggling his lineups, as Thomas Robinson, Sergey KarasevHenry Sims and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson all made starts this week. “It’s an opportunity for you to show people what you can do,” Brown said. “As far as I know, we don’t have a bunch of long-term-contract guys, so this is an opportunity for them to show themselves to the organization and possibly to the league. So use your time wisely and help yourself when you play.”

Two players who have made the most of their late-season chances are shooting guard Sean Kilpatrick, who was signed out of the D-League and is averaging 13.9 points over his last 15 games, and point guard Shane Larkin, who has put up 10.8 points and six assists per night in his last six games as a starter. Larkin has a $1.5MM player option for next season.

There’s more from the Atlantic Division:

  • The Celtics could benefit from Brooklyn’s decision to shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young for the rest of the season, according to NetsDaily. Boston owns the Nets‘ unprotected first rounder, and Brooklyn is currently fourth in Hoops Rumors’ reverse standings, one game behind Phoenix. If the Nets move past the Suns, Boston’s chance at the No. 1 pick improves from 11.9% to 15.6%.
  • Raptors assistant coach Nick Nurse picks Patrick Patterson as the team’s most improved player this season, relays Mike Ganter of The National Post. The sixth-year power forward only averages 7.0 points and 4.4 rebounds per game, but Nurse said the improvement shows up in his overall play. “I would say he has made more strides defensively, but I would also say he has made strides consistently producing the same thing night in and night out,” Nurse said. “I think there were a little more extreme peaks and valleys with him [before].” Patterson is signed for one more season at slightly more than $6MM.
  • Derrick Williams has finally put aside the pressure of being the second player drafted in 2011 and has found a home with the Knicks, writes Dan Feldman of NBCSports.com. “This league is about opportunity, situation and timing – those three things right there,” Williams said. “And if you have good opportunity, situation is right, and the time is right on point, you can’t be stopped.”

Southwest Notes: Harden, Durant, Howard, Spurs

James Harden will play a key role in the Rockets‘ efforts to bring Kevin Durant to Houston, writes Calvin Watkins of ESPN.com. Many teams will be chasing Durant in free agency, but the Rockets have several selling points. In addition to reuniting with his friend and former Thunder teammate, Durant will have the chance to go a state with no income tax and a large city with vast marketing opportunities. Watkins says the Rockets have talked to Harden about recruiting Durant and he has agreed to do his part. “In order to put yourself as an elite team, you always got to have talent, right?” Harden said. “You always got to get better and find ways to improve.” Houston will have plenty of cap space if Dwight Howard opts out as expected.

There’s more news from the Southwest Division:

  • Howard’s role in the Rockets‘ offense continues to decline, according to Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle. Howard has averaged 9.3 points on 5.8 field goal attempts over Houston’s last 12 games. It’s a significant dropoff from earlier in the season and has led many to speculate that the 30-year-old center will seek a new team in free agency. “His impact can be felt more and should be felt more,” said interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff. “… We have to get him the ball in his spots and he has to finish when he gets there.”
  • Free agent addition LaMarcus Aldridge has teamed with Kawhi Leonard to become the nucleus of a record-setting Spurs team, writes Jeff McDonald of The San Antonio Express-News. The two All-Stars have eased the burden on the aging Big Three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. San Antonio picked up a franchise record 64th win Saturday and is two victories away from posting the first perfect home record in league history. “There’s not much we’re allowed to care about,” Danny Green said. “… Being healthy and winning games in the playoffs – those are the things we care about.”
  • James Ennis had little time to prepare for his first game with the Pelicans after being called up from the D-League this week, relays Jim Eichenhofer of NBA.com. “He just got here to the arena about 20 minutes ago,” coach Alvin Gentry said before Wednesday’s contest with the Spurs. “We’ll give him a quick overview of what we try to do, but he’ll definitely be in the game tonight.”