Star guard Kyrie Irving won’t make his return from an ACL tear this season, the Mavericks announced today in a press release. According to the team, Irving has made “steady progress” in his recovery from ACL reconstruction surgery on his left knee but will continue his rehab work and will wait until the fall to make his comeback.

“This decision wasn’t easy, but it’s the right one,” Irving said in a statement. “I am grateful for the Mavericks organization, my teammates and our fans for their continued support throughout the process. I am looking forward to coming back stronger next season. The belief and drive I have inside only grows. And I wanted to send a huge shoutout to ALL of my brothers and sisters out there who’ve torn their ACL or gotten injured doing what they love to do every day. THANK YOU for the inspiration. No fear!”

Irving’s agent, Shetellia Riley Irving, also issued a statement to Shams Charania of ESPN (Twitter link) to explain the decision to postpone Kyrie’s return until the start of the 2026/27 season.

“This is about Kyrie being 1000% when he comes back and giving himself the best chance to chase a championship next season,” she said.

Irving tore the ACL in his left knee nearly a year ago, suffering the injury in a March 3 game against Sacramento. He underwent surgery about three-and-a-half weeks later and was ruled out indefinitely.

It’s not uncommon for players to take a full year – or longer – to return from an ACL tear, so it was never considered a sure thing that Irving would be back on the floor this season, even with head coach Jason Kidd making headlines at the start of November by expressing hope that his point guard would be back in 2025 rather than 2026.

While his recovery seemed to be progressing well, the 33-year-old consistently made an effort to keep expectations in check, advising fans last summer to not “hold your breath” on seeing him return during the 2025/26 regular season.

With Dallas out of the playoff picture and retooling its roster around Cooper Flagg after trading Anthony Davis to Washington earlier this month, there was even less urgency to bring back Irving down the stretch. The veteran guard indicated last week that he’d soon provide an update on his status, with Marc Stein reporting that the decision would be a collaborative one between Irving and the Mavs.

Irving, who signed a new three-year, $118MM+ contract with Dallas as a free agent last summer, will earn a $39.5MM guaranteed salary next season, with a $42.4MM player option for 2027/28. If the Mavs fully lean into a youth movement, he could emerge as a trade candidate during the ’26/27 league year, but the team has repeatedly messaged that it has no plans to trade Irving and that it views him as an ideal fit alongside Flagg.

Of course, the organization is also expected to hire a new permanent head of basketball operations at some point in the coming months, so it’s possible that executive will hold a different view. But for now, there has been no indication Irving won’t still be a Maverick when the ’26/27 season tips off.

While it’s in the Mavs’ best interest to lose more than they win during this season’s final two months in order to maximize their position in the draft lottery, they won’t have the same incentive beginning next season. The team doesn’t control its own first-round picks for the four years from 2027-30.

Prior to the ACL injury last season, Irving continued to perform at an All-Star level, averaging 24.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 4.6 assists in 36.1 minutes per game, with a shooting line of .473/.401/.916.

View Comments (4)