Chris Bosh has sent the clearest message so far that he intends to play this season, relays Ira Winderman of The Sun-Sentinel. Appearing today on “Open Run,” a podcast on LeBron James‘ Uninterruped digital media outlet, the All-Star forward expressed confidence that his blood clot issues are under control.
“I’m ready to play,” Bosh said. “We’ve been talking about it for a long time.”
Bosh has missed significant parts of the past two seasons with clotting issues, and concerns about his health have lingered since doctors discovered blood clots in his calf in February. Bosh has suggested that he could play while taking blood thinners, a plan the Heat haven’t fully endorsed despite a recent report that they are warming up to the idea.
In today’s podcast, Bosh referenced NHL player Tomas Fleischmann, who has been able to play with a similar condition. Fleischmann receives anticoagulant injections after each game, and the medication is out of his system in time for the next contest. Bosh and his wife Adrienne contacted Fleischmann for the name of the doctor who set up his treatment, writes Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald.
“That’s the best part about this — I’m not the first athlete to do this regiment,” Bosh said. “[Fleischmann had the] same problem I actually had the second time [with blood clots]. This is five, six years [ago]. He’s been playing for five years now. And this particular doctor has had the same regiment with other athletes. So this is nothing that is new. It’s not ground breaking. We’re not reinventing the wheel here. It’s pretty standard. It’s been proven. Guys have played on it. Like I said, for anybody to have worries, there are guys playing basketball and hockey and football [with this regiment].”
Bosh has been working out by himself in Los Angeles and has been posting videos on line to show that he’s ready to return to the NBA, including a pair of new ones on Tuesday. Bosh said he definitely plans to join the Heat when training camp opens September 27th in the Bahamas, calling it his “contractual and professional obligation.”
“I have full confidence that, yeah, I’ll be there,” he said. “Will I be cleared? I don’t know. But that’s out of my hands. I will play basketball in the NBA. I’m confident.”
A Heat spokesman declined comment today on any of Bosh’s statements.