By default, NBA players who hold player options for the following season generally don’t have to make an official decision on those options until June 29, just two days before the new league year gets underway. However, that date can be altered on a contract-by-contract basis, which is why many of the 25 players who have player options or early termination options for 2017/18 will be making their decisions prior to June 29 this year.
Several of those player option decisions are due either on a specific date or a certain number of days following a team’s final regular season game. For instance, Rudy Gay‘s player option calls for him to make a decision either on June 10, or five days after the Kings’ last game, whichever comes first. Since Sacramento won’t make the playoffs this season, Gay’s player option decision date will arrive early — he’ll have to make a call next month, which will be interesting, since he’s still recovering from a season-ending Achilles injury.
Gay isn’t the only player whose contract calls for a decision a specific number of days after his team plays its last game. However, all of the other players in that boat could end up in the playoffs. Kyle Lowry, for instance, has to make a decision on his player option by June 19, or within seven days of the Raptors’ last game. If Toronto were to make it back to the Eastern Conference Finals, Lowry’s decision probably wouldn’t happen until June either way.
Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders has done an excellent job keeping tabs on these early player option decision dates, so we’ll use his data to break down the schedule of upcoming decision dates. If a player who holds a 2017/18 player option isn’t listed here, that means his decision is due on June 29, or his decision date hasn’t been reported.
Here’s the list of early decision dates for 2017/18 player options:
Dependent on when team’s season ends:
- June 10 (or five days after team’s last game): Rudy Gay (Kings)
- June 12 (or one day after team’s last game): Rodney Stuckey (Pacers)
- June 19 (or seven days after team’s last game): Kyle Lowry (Raptors)
- June 20 (or two days after team’s last game): Aron Baynes (Pistons), C.J. Miles (Pacers) (mutual option)
- June 21: Dante Cunningham (Pelicans), Nick Young (Lakers)
- June 22: Greg Monroe (Bucks)
- June 23: Paul Millsap (Hawks)
- June 24: Langston Galloway (Kings)
- June 26: Spencer Hawes (Bucks)
- June 28: Blake Griffin (Clippers) (early termination option)