Injury Updates: J. Johnson, Seth Curry, D. Green
After undergoing an MRI on Sunday, Heat forward James Johnson has been diagnosed with right ankle bursitis, the team announced (via Twitter). Johnson, who won’t travel with the Heat during this week’s road trip to Boston and Atlanta, is expected to miss the next seven to 10 days, according to the club. That timetable would put him on track to be out for at least four games, if not more.
The Heat now have five players on the shelf with various injuries, but it seems unlikely that the team will receive a hardship provision to add an extra player to its roster. Justise Winslow appears to be getting close to returning, and Johnson’s injury shouldn’t be a long-term issue. A hardship exception can be granted if four or more players have missed at least three games apiece and will continue to be sidelined for the foreseeable future.
Here are a few more injury notes and updates from across the NBA:
- Seth Curry still isn’t close to making his 2017/18 season debut for the Mavericks, according to Eddie Sefko of The Dallas Morning News. As Sefko relays, head coach Rick Carlisle said this weekend that Curry’s leg injury will continue to sideline him until sometime in the new year. The Mavs guard, who will be a free agent in 2018, has missed the entire season so far with a left tibia stress reaction.
- How concerned should the Warriors be about Draymond Green‘s lingering shoulder injury? Anthony Slater of The Athletic takes a closer look. The club has held Green out of three of its last four games, and while the big man isn’t complaining, he’s “not happy” either, says head coach Steve Kerr (link via Melissa Rohlin of The Bay Area News Group).
- Nets point guard Jeremy Lin, who had been rehabbing his knee in Vancouver, was back in New York with the team on Sunday, writes Brian Lewis of The New York Post. Lin won’t get back on the court this season, but a source tells Lewis that the veteran guard could be cleared to run and jump by April.
Northwest Notes: Mitchell, Crawford, Thunder
The NBA’s highest-scoring rookie is open to the idea of competing in the NBA Dunk Contest, Eric Woodyard of the Deseret News writes. First-year Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell is a an obvious candidate to compete in the Rising Stars Game and has a growing portfolio of highlight-reel dunks.
“It would be great, but I haven’t paid any attention to that whatsoever,” the 21-year-old sensation averaging 18.1 points per game for the Jazz said. “Not even the whole weekend. That’s not even been on my head at all. People bring it up, but I don’t even like to entertain it, I just focus on the task at hand.”
As the February festivities grow closer, and participants formally get offered opportunities to strut their stuff, the Jazz rookie may call upon his own background competing in dunk contests. Woodyard writes that Mitchell once competed in the BallIsLife All-American Game dunk contest and won the Derby Basketball Classic dunk contest in 2015.
There’s more from the Northwest Division:
- Veteran guard Jamal Crawford has found adjusting to his role with the Timberwolves challenging, Kent Youngblood of the Star Tribune writes, noting that he didn’t expect to play the fewest minutes per game since his rookie campaign in 2000/01. “You want to actually do it the right way, and play within the framework of the game. But then, if you’re not out there that much, you kind of have to make something happen. So it’s a balance I’m trying to figure out,” Crawford said.
- The three stars leading the Thunder may still need to figure out how to play effectively with one another but Paul George denies there being any chemistry issues, Royce Young of ESPN writes. “We’ve never had chemistry problems. We like, and enjoy, playing with one another. It’s never been a chemistry problem,” George said.
- The Thunder got a good look at two former teammates when the club traveled to New York City for battle with the Knicks. Enes Kanter and Doug McDermott, who went east in the Carmelo Anthony trade, were eager to match up against their former team and particularly proud to walk away with the victory, Fred Keber of the New York Post writes. “It feels really good,” McDermott said. “This game was kind of about [Anthony] and I thought we did a great job of not letting that distract us and focus on winning the game. And it felt great especially being part of the trade with Enes.“
Atlantic Notes: Knicks, Celtics, Embiid
Two months into the 2017/18 NBA season, the Knicks are one of the most impressive turnaround stories. One of the major reasons why is that the club is learning to trust one another, Fred Kerber of the New York Post writes.
Consider Doug McDermott, a fourth-year forward who didn’t make a lasting impression during his first two stints in the NBA. This year the Creighton product is shooting threes at a .415 clip and commanding the respect of his new teammates.
“It means a lot. It feels good,” McDermott said. “Everyone feels like we all trust each other now. We’re almost 30 games into the season. We’re clicking. We have a good vibe going. We’ve just to continue to do it.”
There’s more from the Atlantic Division:
- The Celtics‘ second unit has made a name for itself because of its defense but sooner or later they’re going to have to start improving on the offensive end, A. Sherrod Blakely of NBC Sports Boston writes. Currently, he says, the bench lacks consistent shot-makers.
- The Sixers seem to be well ahead of schedule in their infamous rebuild and that can be attributed to a number of things, namely the emergence of Joel Embiid as a legitimate – and healthy – star, David Murphy of the Philadelphia Inquirer writes.
- The Knicks and Nets, with rosters jam-packed with promising young players, have set about rebuilding the right way, no small feat in the superteam era, a Nets Daily report opines.
Isaiah Thomas Targets Early January Return Date
The Cavaliers could see Isaiah Thomas make his team debut in the first week of January, Shams Charania of The Vertical tweets. The point guard hasn’t yet played for his new club after coming over from the Celtics in an offseason trade, but is targeting the first week of the new year.
Charania adds that Thomas apparently feels well enough to play now, but the plan has been set to ensure that he doesn’t re-injure himself.
In the first week of January, Cleveland faces the Trail Blazers, Celtics and Magic. That January 3 game in Boston, in particular, will be a highly-anticipated tilt. Thomas seemed to take his trade out of the New England personally.
It’s unclear what the Cavs can seriously expect out of their new addition, but the 28-year-old made waves in 2016/17 when he averaged 28.9 points per contest. He was traded to Cleveland this offseason, along with Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, Brookyln’s 2018 first-round pick and a 2020 second-rounder, for Kyrie Irving.
Vince Carter On Return To Raptors: ‘It Will Happen’
According to the former superstar himself, Vince Carter could end up back with the Raptors before his career is done, Josh Lewenberg of TSN tweets. Even if it simply comes in the form of a ceremonial contract.
“It’ll happen, I’m sure. Somehow,” Carter said.
While there have been attempts to reunite the greybeard swingman to his former franchise in the past, nothing has come to fruition. Perhaps more probable than Carter signing a typical contract with the team though, is the two parties inking a one-day deal so that he can formally retired with the franchise like Paul Pierce and Jason Maxiell did over the summer with the Celtics and Pistons, respectively.
“It’s supposed to happen I think. I can say that now,” Carter added.
While Carter’s tenure with the Raptors may have ended under different circumstances than many other stars who left their original teams, the city seems to have generally embraced their long-lost perennial All-Star after years of raucous booing any time he set foot in the Air Canada Centre.
In parts of seven seasons with the Raptors, Carter averaged 23.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, guiding the team as far as the Eastern Conference semifinals in 2001 before forcing his way out of town and eventually to the Nets.
These days the 20-year vet plays more of a leadership role than a tangible one but still sees the court, having signed on with the Kings to help develop a young core. That was by design considering that he’s unwilling to give up the routine of playing consistently at this point.
“I still want to play, I still want to compete, I still want to get out on the floor,” Carter told the media after Sacramento’s Sunday afternoon tilt in Toronto. “That’s not guaranteed, obviously on some of those elite teams and I’m just not ready for that.”
The Raptors, presumably, would qualify as one of those elite teams, too busy actively competing in the Eastern Conference to necessarily allot guaranteed playing time to a veteran whose best days are in the rearview mirror.
If, or perhaps when, that day comes though and Carter is ready serve as more of a symbolic asset than an actual one, the man who helped grow the popularity of basketball in Canada could end up back where his career began in 1998.
Atlantic Notes: Sixers, Vinsanity, Hayward
While they may not be touted as the much anticipated products of The Process, NBA veterans like J.J. Redick, Jerryd Bayless and Amir Johnson have had a major impact on the Sixers, Ian Begley of ESPN writes.
Unlike token veterans who the Sixers have employed in the past like Jason Richardson and Elton Brand, both established players in the twilight of their careers, players like Redick, Bayless and Johnson still suit up and play for the squad every night.
“To now have players sweating on the court that can add the leadership in real time, instead of something static in a video room — that is priceless,” head coach Brett Brown said. “I think the abundance we have this year and the fact that they play, the combination is powerful, and I appreciate [Sixers president and general manager] Bryan Colangelo helping me, helping us design the team with that in mind.”
There’s more from the Atlantic Division:
- The Kings squared off against the Raptors in what could be Vince Carter‘s last game in Toronto. Doug Smith of the Toronto Star wrote about the 40-year-old veteran’s lasting legacy.
- There’s no indication that he necessarily will but Gordon Hayward is open to the idea of returning this season, Kyle Hightower of the Associated Press writes. The Celtics forward is still recovering from a broken ankle suffered on opening day but has recently shed his walking boot.
- An injury to Tim Hardaway Jr. has allowed Ron Baker to slide back into the Knicks rotation and start making the impact that he became famous for as a rookie. Marc Berman of the New York Post writes that Ron Burgundy is back.
Nets Waive Yakuba Ouattara, Will Sign Milton Doyle
The Nets have waived guard Yakuba Ouattara, per an official report from the team. Ouattara signed a two-way contract with Brooklyn back in July, but appeared in only one game for the Nets’ G League affiliate, the Long Island Nets, recording 14 points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals in 31 minutes.
Adding some context to the Nets’ move is ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, who tweets that Brooklyn is signing guard Milton Doyle to its now vacant second two-way roster spot alongside Jacob Wiley.
Doyle, a 24-year-old 6’4″ undrafted combo guard from Loyola University Chicago, is averaging 21.3 points per game for the Long Island Nets to go along with 5.7 rebounds and 3.9 assists.
Central Notes: LeBron, Oladipo, Osman
LeBron James is well on his way to another First Team All-NBA selection and perhaps a fifth MVP Award. And while the Cavaliers star will be the first to tell you that that he plays for team accomplishments, even he was able to admit how sweet it would be to add more personal hardware to his trophy case, reports Nick Friedell of ESPN. James also elaborated on what his continued excellence over time could mean for future NBA generations.
“Team success is always the No. 1, but along the way if you’re able accomplish some individual awards, individual achievements, it would mean a lot,” James said. “I feel good. This is my 15th year, but this is one of the best years I’ve had as far as how I feel, and I want to continue that. I want to kind of try to break the mold for the next generation.”
“Hopefully I can break the mold, so when the next guy comes, he can still get $200 or $300 million and be 33 years old. I’m serious. You guys are laughing, I’m serious. This is the mold I’m trying to break. It’s not just about me, it’s for the next crew, as well … I’ll be 33 in 15 days. This is my 15th season, and this is the best I’ve felt in my career.”
There’s more from the Central Division:
- Despite the recent narrative that being traded to Indiana from Oklahoma City (and particularly away from Russell Westbrook) has generated a career season for Pacers guard Victor Oladipo, the opposite is actually true, reports Brett Dawson of The Oklahoman. Oladipo himself specifically references how Westbrook’s level of play made him realize how much work it takes to become a star. “Going there and seeing (Westbrook) do that, just seeing his year overall last year definitely helped me realize that I gotta put in a lot of work to get on that level,” Oladipo said. “So, he definitely helped influence my growth both on and off the court. He was an amazing resource, especially last year, to learn from him. And I apply it to everyday life today.”
- In a piece for the The Plain Dealer, Terry Pluto opines that this season’s Cavaliers team has so far had a much more encouraging regular season than last year’s team. Among other topics, Pluto analyzes the surprising fit of Jose Calderon and general manager Koby Altman’s decision to give him a fully-guaranteed contract, head coach Tyronn Lue’s relationship with newcomer Jeff Green, and how potential All-Star Kevin Love seems to be thriving in an environment without Kyrie Irving.
- After being traded to Cleveland from Minnesota on draft night in 2015, Cavaliers swingman Cedi Osman had spent the last two seasons playing overseas in Turkey, waiting for his NBA break to come. And now that he’s in the NBA, Osman is looking to make the most of his opportunity, writes Chris Fedor of cleveland.com. In last night’s win against Utah, Osman scored a career high 10 points in 23 minutes (also a career high), with Lue opting to keep Osman in during crunch time in the fourth quarter.
NBA G League Assignments/Recalls: 12/17/17
Here are Sunday’s G League assignments and recalls from across the NBA:
- The Bulls have recalled Cristiano Felicio and Kay Felder from their G League affiliate, the Windy City Bulls, one day after assignment, tweets K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. Felicio scored 22 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in last night’s loss to the Raptors 905.
- Warriors second-year center Damian Jones has been recalled from the Santa Cruz Warriors, reports Melissa Rohlin of The Mercury News. Jones, who has not yet played in the NBA this season, and has been on assignment with Santa Cruz since mid-November, is probably needed in the wake of injuries to Draymond Green and Zaza Pachulia.
- The Spurs assigned rookie guard Derrick White to the G League’s Austin Spurs today, per an official report. White, who had just been recalled yesterday, has appeared in three total games with Austin, averaging 15.0 points and 3.3 rebounds per contest.
Nets Notes: Okafor, Stauskas, Crabbe, Harris
Even after suffering a season worst 33 point loss to Toronto on Friday night, Nets center Jahlil Okafor and guard Nik Stauskas both appeared to be in high spirits after finally being able to get back on the court ten days removed from a trade that brought them to Brooklyn from Philadelphia in exchange for Trevor Booker, reports Brian Lewis of the New York Post.
After playing only 25 minutes for Philadelphia all season, Okafor logged 23 minutes in his Nets debut, scoring ten points and grabbing four rebounds. Stauskas, meanwhile, scored a team high 22 points of 5-of-7 shooting from long range. “It just felt great to be back on the basketball court,” Stauskas said. “I hadn’t played that much in Philly, so it felt good to run up and down again.” Being from the Toronto area, Stauskas added, “maybe [being home helped] a little bit. But for me, it was more excitement to be back out there.”
There’s more from Brooklyn:
- The Nets have their own “process” for Okafor’s acclimation to the Nets’ style of play, Lewis reveals in a separate story. “With Jahlil, it’s going to be a process,” head coach Kenny Atkinson said. “He’s shown a lot of potential and strength in the post. That’d be cool if we could throw it in there a little more, [have] a little more balance.” Notwithstanding Okafor’s post play acumen, he knows that the game has changed and he’s ready for the challenge. “I have to get comfortable shooting threes in the game. That’s the way coach wants the team to play. If you’re open for three in the corner, he wants guys to shoot it. I’m going to be in the gym constantly so I can knock that down.”
- In yet another story for the New York Post, Lewis relays how the Nets believe that sharpshooter Allen Crabbe, who has been battling left knee soreness, will shoot his way out of a recent slump sooner rather than later. Crabbe, who has shot 4 for his last 21 from long distance, is expected back for tonight’s game against Indiana after missing Friday’s loss to Toronto. Said Atkinson, “right now he’s struggling a little. It’s just like a batter that has a two-game little slump. He’ll come back and he’ll make shots. I’m not worried about that.”
- In an interesting piece for NBA.com, Tom Dowd chronicles how Joe Harris found his way onto the Nets’ roster. After being waived by Orlando in January, 2016, and unable to hook on with another team for the remainder of the season, Harris spent the summer of 2016 looking for another opportunity in the NBA. Upon meeting with Harris following a team workout, Atkinson was hooked. “What I loved, he took ownership,” said Atkinson. “That convinced me that this is a guy we want. Just his character to say that. (And) since he’s been with us, it’s amazing his commitment to what we’re doing.”
