In case you missed any of this past week’s top stories from around the league, we have you covered with our Week in Review. Below are the most noteworthy stories from the last seven days.
Cavaliers’ head coach Tyronn Lue has taken a leave of absence for health issues/reasons. Associate head coach Larry Drew has taken over for Lue on an interim basis, with Lue hoping to return to the team sometime over the next week.
In his first game back from an ankle injury that sidelined him for six games, Stephen Curry suffered a sprained MCL last night and is set to undergo an MRI later today. Curry was injured when teammate JaVale McGee fell on his knee after attempting to block a shot.
In better news for the Cavs, All-Star Kevin Love returned to action this week for his first game since January 30. The Cavs are 3-0 this week with Love back in the line-up, and Love averaged 20.3 PPG and shot 47.6% from long range in those three games.
Despite conflicting reports on the nature/tone of the meeting, it is clear that a players-only meeting to discuss the status of Kawhi Leonard, among other topics, occurred in the Spurs’ locker room this week. Unfortunately, the meeting ended without a clear update or timeline on Leonard’s status.
Celtics’ star Kyrie Irving will undergo a minimally invasive procedure on his left knee today with the hope of alleviating some nagging discomfort. A clearer timetable for Irving’s return should be known after the procedure takes place.
Magic head coach Frank Vogel’s job may be in jeopardy at the end of the year after two seasons as head coach. Orlando replaced the GM who hired Vogel and cleared out several other members of the basketball operations department last summer, and new team president Jeff Weltman and GM John Hammond may prefer to select their own coach this offseason.
Here are 16 more headlines from last week:
- The Magic signed guard Rodney Purvis to a second 10-day deal.
- The Trail Blazers have signed center Georgios Papagiannis to a multi-year deal through next season.
- The Cavaliers signed forward Okaro White to a 10-day contract.
- Pelicans’ rookie guard Frank Jackson will not play this season after undergoing follow-up surgery to remove residual scar tissue from earlier right foot operations.
- Oklahoma point guard Trae Young will hire an agent and enter the 2018 NBA Draft.
- The Pistons are reportedly interested in a front office role for their former All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups.
- Texas big man Mohamed Bamba will forego his remaining collegiate eligibility and enter the 2018 NBA Draft.
- The Bucks signed point guard Brandon Jennings to a second 10-day contract.
- The Hawks have signed rookie guard Jaylen Morris to a a multi-year deal.
- Potential first-round pick Anfernee Simons will forego college and enter the 2018 NBA Draft.
- The Mavericks signed shooting guard Aaron Harrison to a 10-day deal.
- Texas A&M big man Robert Williams will enter the 2018 NBA Draft.
- The Lakers signed forward Travis Wear to a rest-of-season contract.
- The Rockets plan to waive Brandan Wright and replace him on the roster with former Oklahoma State player Le’Bryan Nash.
- The Hawks signed rookie Damion Lee to a second 10-day contract.
- The Grizzlies signed former first-round pick Marquis Teague to a 10-day contract.