Nets Sign Justin Anderson As Substitute Player
4:24pm: The signing is official, the team announced on Twitter.
3:42pm: Justin Anderson will sign with the Nets later today, tweets Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Rumors of the 27-year-old swingman joining the team began in late June and continued last week when he discussed the possibility on a radio show (YouTube link). However, Brooklyn opted for Lance Thomas instead, making the deal official earlier this week.
Another spot opened up when veteran forward Michael Beasley tested positive for COVID-19 when he arrived in Orlando and failed to clear quarantine. It’s possible the Nets already knew they’d be replacing Beasley when they signed Thomas instead of Anderson last week.
Anderson signed a 10-day contract with the Nets in January and averaged 1.0 PPG in three games before being released by the organization. He also spent part of the season with Brooklyn’s G League affiliate in Long Island. A first-round pick by the Mavericks in 2015, Anderson had brief stops with the Sixers and Hawks as well.
Nets Owner Joe Tsai Not Involved In A-Rod, J-Lo Mets Bid
After Nets owner Joe Tsai was named as one of many high-profile sports figures attached to Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez’s bid to purchase the Mets, he denied being involved in the process on Saturday.
“Sorry Twitter, it is not true,” Tsai said in a tweet. “I grew up as a Mets fan and I have a lot of respect for Alex and Jennifer. But I’m not involved in bidding for the Mets. Gotta focus on basketball.”
Rodriguez and Lopez have put together a star-studded group as they attempt to acquire the MLB franchise, with multiple NBA names attached to the group. Wizards guard Bradley Beal and Nuggets big man Mason Plumlee — who originally named Tsai as part of the group— are among those involved. Additionally, Pro Football Hall of Famer Brian Urlacher, former Cleveland Browns offensive tackle Joe Thomas, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce and former Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray are part of the bid.
Whether or not Rodriguez and Lopez are successful in their Mets venture remains to be seen. However, it appears it will be without the help of Tsai, who assumed full ownership of the Nets and Barclays Center last August.
J.R. Smith Talks Changes In LeBron James
As the Lakers prepare to contend for a title at the NBA campus in Orlando, J.R. Smith will try to help L.A. after joining the team in early July. Although Smith has not played in over a year, he brings championship experience and an ability to score.
Specifically, Smith’s title pedigree comes from his time as a teammate with LeBron James in Cleveland when the organization captured its first title in 2016. Smith played a crucial role in guiding the Cavaliers to a championship behind James and now, reunited with a different team, the former Sixth Man of the Year sees a change in his former and current teammate.
“Before, he’s always been so focused on his drive and winning and stuff like that, but I feel like that pressure is off his shoulders, and he can just be him,” Smith said, per Spectrum’s Mike Trudell (Twitter link). “He don’t have to try to orchestrate the offense or the defense or what somebody did wrong, he can let the coaches do their job, and I think that’s a true testament to him growing.”
Smith, 34, joins the Lakers in a much different role than the last time he was teammates with James, but with the same goal — winning a championship. The Lakers will need to rely on steady play from their bench and the usual strong performance from James. Smith views an older, more experienced LeBron as more than capable of delegating to others on the team.
“I’ve watched interviews when people try to say he’s not coachable because he knows so much about the game, but he’s probably the most coachable person out there just because he gives you his side or his opinion and he might be right,” Smith said. “More than anything I just think he’s so much more patient in his delivery and how he goes about the process of the game.”
Celtics Notes: Walker, Tatum, Williams
Four months after the season was suspended, Celtics guard Kemba Walker is still dealing with a left knee issue that hampered him right up until play stopped. The veteran guard admitted that frustration with the injury is mounting, ESPN’s Tim Bontemps writes.
“It’s definitely pretty frustrating, just because I’m not a guy who misses many games, especially throughout the course of my career,” Walker said. “I’m not really concerned much, honestly, because I’m trending upwards and I’m getting better and I’m getting closer to a return. So, yeah, I’m fine. And I’ll be back better than ever, I think.”
As we relayed last week, Boston head coach Brad Stevens said the team would take it slowly with Walker as teams resumed practice at the NBA campus in Orlando. Despite being limited by the injury, the 30-year-old feels he can help Boston capture a championship once play resumes and knee troubles are behind him.
“I think we can be pretty tough, for sure,” Walker said. “Since (Jayson Tatum)’s been killing it the way he’s been, I haven’t really been able to help out like I really wanted to, so yeah, I’m definitely looking forward to coming back and making an impact on my teammates and just being readier than I was before the season ended.”
Walker has averaged 21.2 PPG, 4.9 APG and 3.4 RPG for Boston in 50 games this season.
Check out more Celtics notes below:
- Tatum was in the midst of his best season to date before the league shuttered play and the Boston guard is not short on confidence, NBC Sports Boston’s Justin Leger writes. “I know what I’m capable of, what I think I’m capable of, what I’m striving for,” Tatum said. “That’s the edge that I have for myself. I step on the floor, I think I’m the best player every night.” In 59 games this season, Tatum averaged 23.6 PPG, 7.1 RPG and 2.9 APG for the Celtics.
- While Grant Williams made a solid impression in Boston during his rookie season, spotty outside shooting was the one detrimental aspect to his game. However, as practices have resumed, Williams has impressed with his apparent improved stroke from beyond the arc, Chris Forsberg of NBC Sports Boston writes.
- For all the latest Celtics updates, be sure to follow our C’s team page.
Pacific Notes: Howard, Baynes, Rubio, Len, Barnes
Lakers center Dwight Howard has been disciplined for not wearing a mask at Orlando’s campus, ESPN’s Dave McMenamin writes. Howard said on social media that the violation was reported to the NBA Campus Hotline, designed to ensure everyone is following protocols. “(My) reaction is that we all should be wearing masks in and around the hotel lobby,” Lakers coach Frank Vogel said of Howard’s violation. “And the areas that we’re being asked to wear a mask, we should wear a mask. And he’s doing so now.”
We have more from around the Pacific Division:
- It remains a mystery whether Ricky Rubio and Aron Baynes are practicing with their Suns teammates in Orlando, according to Duane Rankin of The Arizona Republic. Coach Monty Williams has been vague when asked about the duo’s status. “There’s so much medical stuff that I don’t want to violate,” Williams said.
- Kings center Alex Len has posted negative tests for the coronavirus and will rejoin the team on Friday evening, head coach Luke Walton told James Ham of NBC Sports Bay Area and other media members. Len, among a couple of other prominent team members, tested positive for the virus in late June. Len will go into quarantine upon arrival in Orlando and Walton is unsure about the big man’s conditioning.
- Walton is in no rush to replace Harrison Barnes on the roster, The Athletic’s Jason Jones tweets. Barnes revealed that he tested positive for COVID-19 just before the team headed to Orlando. The Kings don’t want to replace Barnes on the roster just yet, even if he has to miss a game, Jones adds.
Western Notes: Carmelo, Bol, Conley, Hagedorn
Trail Blazers veteran Carmelo Anthony has slimmed down in anticipation of playing more often at small forward during the restart, according to Royce Young of ESPN. Anthony has mainly played power forward in recent seasons but with big men Jusuf Nurkic and Zach Collins returning from injuries, Anthony is making an adjustment by shedding weight.
“I kind of challenged myself to get down to that weight where I feel comfortable with playing the 3, comfortable running around and utilizing things I can do within our system from playing the 3,” the Trail Blazers forward said. “That was a big motivation for me to come back at that exact weight, or around that weight, 230, 235. I haven’t seen 230, 235 since early, early in my career.”
We have more from the Northwest Division:
- Nuggets rookie center Bol Bol could make his NBA debut during the team’s seeding games, Mike Singer of The Denver Post speculates. Numerous Denver regulars have yet to practice in Orlando. Bol will participate in three upcoming scrimmages and then might see action in the seeding games, mostly out of necessity. Bol has impressed during practices in Orlando, Singer adds.
- Mike Conley has endured some rough patches during his first season with the Jazz but the veteran point guard feels like he’s settled in, Tony Jones of The Athletic notes. “It feels like I’ve played a full season already,” Conley said. “I’ve had a chance to build chemistry with my coaches and with my teammates. I haven’t had any questions about plays or my role. I have a clear picture on what to expect.”
- South Dakota forward Tyler Hagedorn has been interviewed by the Timberwolves, Darren Wolfson of KSTP tweets. Hagedorn isn’t listed among ESPN’s top 100 prospects but the 6’10” Hagedorn did shoot 51.4% from long range as a senior.
Southwest Notes: Popovich, Powell, Finney-Smith, Harden
The Spurs enter the NBA’s restart in 12th place in the Western Conference and coach Gregg Popovich has made it clear he’s more concerned with player development than a playoff run, Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express News reports. “For us in our specific situation, development is more important than anything,” Popovich said. “I’m not too concerned with trying to figure out how to match up with the Lakers or Clippers or Celtics or Raptors or Rockets or Nuggets or anybody else.” San Antonio’s postseason chances have already been dimmed by the loss of LaMarcus Aldridge (shoulder) and Trey Lyles (appendicitis).
We have more from the Southwest Division:
- Mavericks big man Dwight Powell can’t play in Orlando as he continues to rehab from Achilles tendon surgery but he chose to go to the campus anyway. His reasoning, according to the Dallas Morning News’ Callie Caplan? Powell has steady access to the team’s training staff, workouts and team activities. “I’m still part of this team, whether I can contribute on offense or defense, still proud to be a Dallas Maverick,” Powell said.
- Mavericks forward Dorian Finney-Smith is brimming with optimism as seventh-place Dallas heads into the seeding games already assured of a playoff berth, Eddie Sefko of the team’s website reports. “I feel like we can beat anybody, especially if we’re healthy and we come out with an us-against-the-world mentality,” he said.
- Russell Westbrook is still trying to clear COVID-19 protocols but the other half of the Rockets’ dynamic backcourt has returned to the team. James Harden practiced on Thursday after his arrival in Orlando was delayed due to family issues, according to Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press. “I pushed myself through it,” Harden said.
NBA End-Of-Season Awards To Be Predicated On Pre-Hiatus Play
The 2019/20 NBA season’s year-end awards will be voted on based on player performance up to the league’s coronavirus-necessitated hiatus on March 11, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium (Twitter link).
Those awards include Most Valuable Player, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Coach of the Year, Executive of the Year, and the All-NBA, All-Defensive, and All-Rookie Teams.
[RELATED: Hoops Rumors Reader Poll Results: 2020 All-NBA Teams]
Charania went on to note (via Twitter) that season statistics will incorporate player performance during the NBA’s eight “seeding” games that kick off July 30 for the NBA’s Disney World season restart, so league leaders in certain stat categories could still change.
The league’s decision on awards could have several ramifications for potential recipients of the various accolades. Players like Bradley Beal, who will not participate in the restart, will have a better shot at making one of the three All-NBA teams for the season. Rookie of the Year favorite Ja Morant and MVP frontrunner Giannis Antetokounmpo will no longer need to further cement their arguments for consideration.
According to Charania (Twitter link), the NBA will soon announce the voting process and its plan to announce this year’s award winners. Typically, media members would vote in the spring and the league would reveal the winners during a televised award show in June. However, it seems unlikely that an in-person ceremony will take place this year.
California Notes: MCW, Clippers, Kings, Smith, Waiters
The Warriors will need to consider free agent backup point guard candidates during their upcoming offseason. Since Golden State will be stretched thin due to some exorbitant contracts to the team’s top four players, The Athletic’s Anthony Slater makes the case for 28-year-old injury-prone non-shooter Michael Carter-Williams, an unrestricted free agent, on a league minimum.
Carter-Williams, a career 40.3% shooter from the floor (and a 25.6% shooter from deep), has logged time with the Sixers, Bucks, Bulls, Hornets, Rockets and Magic in his seven NBA seasons. Slater lauds the 6’5″ guard’s size and notes that his three-point shooting has improved with Orlando, adding that he was a +27 in his time on the floor during the Magic’s three road games, all wins, before the NBA season pause on March 11. For 2019/20, Carter-Williams is shooting a below-average 29.4% from long range, which would be his career-high over a full season.
There are more updates out of California:
- The Clippers are using their practices in the NBA’s Disney World campus to fully integrate recent additions Marcus Morris, Reggie Jackson and Joakim Noah, per Mirjam Swanson of the Orange County Register. “It’s pretty much we know who we want to play, but as far as the rotations and the minutes, I think that’s still a little bit in flux,” head coach Doc Rivers noted. “We’ll see. You kind of decide on what you’re going to do going by how you’re practicing.”
- With several Kings players currently unavailable, rookies Justin James, Kyle Guy and DaQuan Jeffries will be able to use team practices and scrimmages in Disney World as an opportunity to prove their mettle, according to The Athletic’s Jason Jones. Sacramento head coach Luke Walton noted that the young players are “getting crucial reps in practice and most likely, at least in the preseason (scrimmage) games, they’ll be getting some meaningful minutes as well.”
- Newly-minted Lakers wings J.R. Smith and Dion Waiters have been using their Orlando campus tenure to bond with their L.A. teammates, per Kyle Goon of the Orange County Register. Head coach Frank Vogel commended the team’s new backcourt additions with helping to stoke everyone’s competitive fire. “They both bring toughness and swag — those guys are killers,” Vogel said. “They go after it with great competitive spirit and they have the talent to back it up and be highly productive on the court.”
Wizards Sign Jarrod Uthoff As Substitute Player
3:37pm: The Wizards have officially signed Uthoff as a substitute player for the NBA season restart in Orlando, the team announced in a press release.
It’s not entirely clear which player Uthoff is replacing. An earlier tweet from John Hollinger of The Athletic indicated that he would be a substitute player for Bradley Beal. However, Beal’s absence is thought to considered injury-related, which would make him ineligible to be replaced, and Hollinger’s tweet has since been deleted.
Head coach Scott Brooks declined to say today which player Uthoff is replacing, per Ava Wallace of The Washington Post (Twitter link).
11:54am: Free agent forward Jarrod Uthoff will sign with the Wizards, tweets Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Uthoff, 27, briefly saw action in the NBA this season after signing a 10-day contract with the Grizzlies in late February. He appeared in four games, averaging 1.0 PPG in limited playing time. He also played nine games for the Mavericks during the 2016/17 season.
Most of Uthoff’s professional career has been spent in the G League, where he has been with various teams since 2016. He was named to the All-NBAGL First Team this season as a member of the Memphis Hustle, averaging 19.0 points and 10.7 rebounds per game.
