We’re looking to add a part-time contributor to the Hoops Rumors writing team. The position pays on an hourly basis. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Exceptional knowledge of all 30 NBA teams, with no discernible bias. We want you to be as comfortable writing about Mamadi Diakite and Juwan Morgan as you would be writing about LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- Knowledge of the NBA’s salary cap, collective bargaining agreement, and transaction-related concepts.
- Strong weeknight and weekend availability, with the ability to work at least two regular shifts per week. Flexibility to work on short notice and/or on weekdays is a plus.
- Extensive writing experience, with professional experience and a background in journalism both preferred.
- Keen understanding of journalistic principles, ethics, and procedures. Completion of basic college-level journalism classes is preferred.
- Attention to detail and an ability to self-edit.
- Ability to follow Hoops Rumors’ style and tone.
- Ability to analyze articles and craft intelligent, well-written posts summing up the news in a few paragraphs. We need someone who can balance quick writing with thoughtful analysis. You must be able to add value to breaking news with your own insight, numbers, or links to other relevant articles.
- Ability to use Twitter, TweetDeck, and WordPress.
If you’re interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 7 (4:00pm central time) and include the following:
- A few paragraphs to explain why you qualify and stand out.
- A description of your availability going forward.
- At least one or two writing samples. NBA-related pieces are preferred, but not mandatory.
Many will likely apply, so unfortunately we may not be able to respond to every applicant.