Kings big man Richaun Holmes, engaged in a lengthy custody battle with his ex-wife over their six-year-old son, has been accused of domestic violence and of physically abusing his son, reports Robin Epley of The Sacramento Bee.
As Epley details, court documents show that Allexis Holmes – who has been divorced from Richaun Holmes since September 2019 – accused her ex-husband of “taking out his frustration” on their son and causing him to bleed from a blow to the head during a visitation last month.
While The Bee’s report gives no indication that Allexis Holmes has pressed criminal charges, it states that she recently filed a restraining order against Richaun Holmes in Sacramento County on behalf of their son.
Richaun Holmes’ lawyer, Ann Moder, tells The Sacramento Bee that her client, who has been ordered by a judge to remain away from his son until a court date later this month, denies all the allegations. Moder referred to the accusations as “baseless claims” aimed at subverting the court’s custody decision, adding that Richaun Holmes has been an “exemplary parent.”
As Jason Anderson of The Sacramento Bee relays, Holmes publishes a series of tweets in which he vehemently disputed the allegations and said he “never would” and “never COULD” harm his son. Those tweets were later deleted.
The Kings shut down Holmes for the season last week, citing personal reasons. Presumably, the decision to end his season early was related to these accusations and his custody battle, which has been ongoing in private court for two years, according to The Bee.
The team put out a statement on Wednesday night addressing the allegations, per Anderson (Twitter link):
“The entire Sacramento Kings organization would like to express our strong stance against any form of assault and domestic violence,” the Kings said in their statement. “We respect the legal process and will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
Holmes, whose playing time declined significantly following Sacramento’s deadline acquisition of Domantas Sabonis, is under contract with the club for three more years and $36MM+ after this season.