The Heat‘s reluctance to part with Bam Adebayo has effectively taken them out of the Kevin Durant sweepstakes, at least for now, sources tell Barry Jackson and Anthony Chiang of The Miami Herald. Miami could decide to revisit a potential Durant swap later on if something changes, but for now the team plans to move forward with its current roster.
According to the authors’ sources, the Nets haven’t shown much interest in the Heat’s trade offers, which haven’t included Adebayo or Jimmy Butler. That means any deal would likely have to be built around Tyler Herro and draft assets. Miami can currently offer two unprotected first-round picks and as many as three pick swaps. The team could free up another first-rounder by negotiating with the Thunder to lift lottery protections on the 2025 pick owed to OKC.
Another hurdle is that Adebayo is ineligible to be dealt to Brooklyn as long as Ben Simmons remains on the roster because of the designated rookie extension rule. Even if the Heat change their minds about moving Adebayo, a third team would have to be found to take Simmons in order for the deal to work.
There’s more from Miami:
- The Heat plan to have Caleb Martin take over the role of P.J. Tucker, who signed with the Sixers in free agency, Jackson and Chiang add. Martin only played 22% of his minutes at power forward last season, but the organization is willing to see how he can handle the position before exploring a trade.
- First-round pick Nikola Jovic has received an invitation to try out for the Serbian national team ahead of EuroBasket 2022, Chiang writes in a separate story. Summer League was challenging for the 19-year-old, who had up-and-down performances and dealt with a quad contusion. “I’m still learning,” he said. “I just need a little time.”
- The Heat say they’re content with the current roster, but the offseason moves shouldn’t be considered complete until they reach a contract extension with Herro, says Ira Winderman of The Sun-Sentinel. Herro would become almost untradeable for the rest of the season once an extension is in place due to the “poison pill provision.” That would virtually eliminate any chance for a significant trade to acquire Durant or Donovan Mitchell.
8 thoughts on “Heat Notes: Adebayo, Martin, Jovic, Herro”
As great as slick Rick Patrick Riley is he’s powerless to the fact nor opinion thar A package or hero , Lowry , Duncan and two picks is just not very appealing at all ! Not all teams ( any ?) are gonna want to pay the next hero contract ! Nets and jazz don’t lack the free will to Reject those offers
The Heat still need depth at PF. Caleb Martin at 6’5 has a different frame and skill set than PJ Tucker, who is a unicorn at his relative short height for a PF. I see relying on an undersized Martin problematic and Jovic still needs seasoning. They should explore a Rui Hachimura or John Collins trade. Free agent options are thin, but perhaps Paul Millsap fits the mold of a backup in their team culture.
I am surprised the Wizards don’t move one of Kuzma, Rui, or Avdija. All of them have an ok amount of value currently, and there aren’t enough minutes to go around.
I’ve been begging for Millsap for 3 years. At this point, I dont think its happening, but I will continue to try to push for it
I’m not sure MIA is a KD-trade away from being an NBA champion, but if they think they are, then they should put BA in the mix. He wouldn’t need to go to BKN. He could go to a third team, which in turn would provide BKN with some assets. Herro is the only other trade piece they have, and he’s a secondary asset in a KD trade.
How many ways can Ben Simmons screw up BKN?
1. He does not play.
2. Uses up $35 mill of the cap this year.
3. Has restricted the ability of the KD trade to occur for a young star because of the rookie extension rule.
It staggers the mind to think of how much money BKN has paid to KD, KI, and BS while they were injured over the past few years.
That’s a great point. I think I feel some sympathy for true Nets fans. What a disaster.
Simmons stock can’t get any lower. He should retire. He doesn’t express any passion for playing but his drip makes amazing punchlines.
Regarding Kuzma as Orien mentioned, I’d freaking love to get Kuzma for maybe Duncan and a 1st in a fantasy world. Kuz is underrated. Don’t have a clue if Heat are interested IRL
I don’t know what the hell is going on with the Heat. They were resigning some players and there were some rumors of players like Millsap, then the KD trade request happened and they completely froze.
I think Pat Riley is possibly trying to make something happen with Brooklynn.
How many years have I been asking for something at the 4 being addressed. They finally sort of did so last year with 1 guy, in PJ Tucker, and it worked. Now we’re back to saying we dont need anything there…I have a hard time believing that to be true. They have Highsmith, and now Days, and Strus off the bench, and maybe they use Butler more there, but I have a hard time believing they wouldnt add at least 1 guy, like Millsap, Josh Jackson, James Johnson, etc, considering they could likely get 1 of the few guys remaining, including those guys, on the minimum