Anthony, Howard Headline 2025 Hall Of Fame Class
Former NBA stars Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard headline the 2025 Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame class, reports Shams Charania of ESPN (Twitter link). The organization has confirmed the news.
The full list of inductees is as follows:
- Carmelo Anthony – 10-time All-Star, six All-NBA teams, three Olympic gold medals with Team USA, NCAA championship with Syracuse, member of the 75th Anniversary team.
- Dwight Howard – Eight-time All-Star, eight All-NBA teams, three Defensive Player of the Year awards, five rebounding titles, NBA champion, Olympic gold medal.
- Sue Bird – 13-time WNBA All-Star, eight-time All-WNBA, four-time WNBA champion, five Olympic gold medals.
- Maya Moore – Seven-time All-WNBA, six-time WNBA All-Star, four-time WNBA champion, 2013 Finals MVP, 2014 MVP.
- Sylvia Fowles – Eight-time All-WNBA, eight-time WNBA All-Star, four-time WNBA Defensive Player of the Year, two-time WNBA champion, two-time Finals MVP, 2017 MVP.
- Danny Crawford – Officiated over 2,000 regular season games and 30 NBA Finals.
- Billy Donovan – Currently head coach of the Bulls, Donovan will be inducted for his accomplishments at the college level, including winning back-to-back national championships with Florida in 2006 and ’07.
- Micky Arison – The longtime Heat owner was inducted as a contributor. Miami has won three NBA titles and made the NBA Finals seven times during his tenure.
- 2008 U.S. Olympic Men’s Team – Known as the “Redeem Team,” the Americans went 8-0 en route to a gold medal in Beijing after finishing with a surprising bronze in 2004.
As Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press notes, Anthony and Howard will essentially be inducted twice in the same year, as both were members of Team USA in 2008. Dwyane Wade, Jason Kidd, Chris Bosh and Kobe Bryant, all of whom were already in the Hall of Fame, were also members of that team, as were LeBron James and Chris Paul — both of whom are still active NBA players.
The 17 finalists for the 2025 class were announced in February.
Maryland’s Derik Queen To Enter 2025 NBA Draft
Maryland star Derik Queen has decided to leave school early and go pro, he said on SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt (YouTube link).
“I’m proud to say I’m entering the 2025 NBA draft,” the 6’10” center said.
Queen’s decision isn’t a surprise. He is projected to go No. 10 overall in ESPN’s latest mock draft, per Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com, and is the No. 10 prospect on their latest big board (from last week).
Queen was highly productive in his freshman season with the Terrapins, averaging 16.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.1 steals and 1.1 blocks in 36 appearances (30.4 minutes per contest). He helped guide Maryland to a 27-9 record and a spot in the Sweet 16, scoring 27 points in a loss to Florida.
As Metcalf notes, the Baltimore native boosted his stock with some impressive postseason performances, including a game-winner in the second round of the NCAA tournament against Colorado State.
Pistons Clinch First Playoff Berth Since 2019
With their win in Toronto on Friday, the Pistons have officially clinched a top-six spot in the Eastern Conference, securing their first playoff berth since the 2018/19 season (Twitter link).
It’s the latest achievement in what has been a remarkable turnaround for the Pistons, who posted the worst record in the NBA – and the worst mark in franchise history – a year ago when they went 14-68. Detroit has more than tripled that win total this season, sitting at 43-34 with five games still to play.
The Pistons’ bounce-back season has been driven by an All-NBA caliber performance from former No. 1 overall pick Cade Cunningham, though he wasn’t in action in Friday’s playoff clincher, having missed his sixth consecutive game due to a left calf contusion.
Instead, it was rising third-year center Jalen Duren (21 points, 18 rebounds, six assists, four blocks), Sixth Man of the Year contender Malik Beasley (21 points), and veteran role player Tim Hardaway Jr. (23 points) who played key roles in the 117-105 win over the Raptors.
Veteran forward Tobias Harris and second-year wing Ausar Thompson are among the other most important contributors in Detroit, along with veteran guard Dennis Schröder, who has taken on a role similar to the one Jaden Ivey played before breaking his leg in January.
While the Pistons have now secured their spot in the postseason, their exact seed in the Eastern Conference is still to be determined.
Friday’s victory moves them a half-game ahead of the 42-34 Bucks for the No. 5 spot, which would likely line them up for a first-round date with the No. 4 Pacers. Sliding to No. 6 would probably result in a matchup with the Knicks in round one, though neither New York nor Indiana is officially locked into its seed yet.
As Omari Sankofa II of The Detroit Free Press notes, the Timberwolves are now assured of receiving the Pistons’ 2025 first-round pick, which had been top-13 protected.
Dwight Howard Elected To Hall Of Fame
Former NBA center Dwight Howard has been elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame and will be part of the class of 2025, reports Shams Charania of ESPN (Twitter link).
The first overall pick in the 2004 draft, Howard immediately became the starting center for the Magic and spent the next eight seasons in Orlando, winning three Defensive Player of the Year awards with the team and finishing in the top five in MVP voting in four consecutive seasons from 2008-11. The Magic made the playoffs in six straight years during Howard’s tenure, appearing in the NBA Finals in 2009.
From 2012-22, Howard bounced around the NBA, spending time with the Lakers, Rockets, Hawks, Hornets, Wizards, and Sixers. He had three separate stints with the Lakers during that decade and won his first and only championship with the team in 2020.
Howard earned a total of eight All-Star nods and appeared on eight All-NBA teams, including five First Teams, over the course of his 18-year NBA career. In addition to winning DPOY three times, he made an All-Defensive team five teams, including claiming a spot on the First Team for four years in a row from 2009-12.
Howard led the league in rebounding five times and currently ranks 11th on the NBA’s all-time rebounding list. He was also the league leader in blocked shots twice and ranks 15th all-time in that category.
The big man didn’t play college basketball but fortified his Hall of Fame résumé by winning an Olympic gold medal with Team USA in Beijing in 2008.
The Hall of Fame will officially announce its full class of 2025 on Saturday at the NCAA Final Four. According to reporting from Charania, Howard and another former NBA star, Carmelo Anthony, will be among the first-ballot selections in that group.
Knicks’ Anunoby: ‘I Should Win Defensive Player Of The Year’
In a wide-open Defensive Player of the Year race with no clear frontrunner, Knicks forward OG Anunoby became the latest player to make a case for himself.
“I think I should be on First Team All-Defense,” Anunoby said on Friday, according to Stefan Bondy of The New York Post. “I think I should win Defensive Player of the Year. I’ve always felt that way.”
Long viewed as one of the NBA’s top perimeter defenders, Anunoby has only been formally recognized for his performance on that end of the court once, when he was named to the All-Defensive Second Team in 2023.
That’s due in part to his injury history — 2022/23 was the only season in his last four before this one in which he has played more than 50 games. He believes it’s also a result of the way his defensive impact manifests beyond the box score.
“There’s no stats for (the offensive player calling a screen to avoid you),” Anunoby said. “There’s no stat for picking up a dribble to pass. Or shot attempts — like holding the other player to no shot attempts, there’s no stat for that. So (award voters) can’t really tell. They just always give it to the big men.”
Anunoby has appeared in 70 games this season and ranks sixth in the NBA in minutes per night. He’ll set a career high in games played if he sees action in five of the Knicks’ remaining six contests, so availability isn’t a concern this time around. And while his case for All-Defense and DPOY is predicated on more than just statistics, he’s one of just three NBA players who has registered at least 100 steals and 60 blocks this season.
Anunoby is still a long shot for Defensive Player of the Year due to the Knicks’ relatively average defense (their 113.4 defensive rating is 13th in the NBA) and the fact that voters typically favor big men, as he pointed out. But he’s a solid candidate for an All-Defense spot. The 27-year-old admitted on Friday that being rewarded for his defense with either honor would be “pretty important to me,” as Bondy relays.
Spurs big man Victor Wembanyama was considered the heavy favorite for the Defensive Player of the Year award this season before he was ruled out for the season in February after being diagnosed with a deep vein thrombosis in his right shoulder. Since then, the betting odds have shifted frequently, with multiple players considered the new frontrunner for days or weeks at a time.
Warriors forward Draymond Green has been the candidate making his own case most vociferously in recent weeks. Cavaliers big man Evan Mobley and Hawks guard Dyson Daniels haven’t advocated for themselves as aggressively, but others have done so on their behalf.
Dario Saric Reportedly Plans To Pick Up Option For 2025/26
Although Dario Saric‘s first year with the Nuggets has been disappointing, multiple sources tell Bennett Durando of The Denver Post that he plans to exercise his $5.4MM player option for next season.
The option was included in a two-year, $10.6MM contract that Saric signed last summer. Durando notes that he chose Denver over an offer from EuroLeague champ Panathinaikos, and the Nuggets were willing to give him their full taxpayer mid-level exception to add an experienced big man who could help reduce the workload for Nikola Jokic.
It hasn’t worked out that way, as Saric has only appeared in 16 games and is averaging 3.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 13.1 minutes per night. Durando points out that even as coach Michael Malone rested more than half of his roster for Wednesday’s back-to-back, Saric was only given seven minutes.
Durando adds that Saric looks like a misfire for general manager Calvin Booth, who can’t afford to waste any money given the team’s precarious financial state. Saric will have the team’s sixth-highest salary for 2025/26 if he exercises the option.
Durando states that the Nuggets would benefit financially for next season if Saric declines the option. They would have three roster spots to fill and would be about $13MM below the second apron. He adds that they don’t have many assets left for another salary dump after giving up three second-round picks to send Reggie Jackson to Charlotte last summer.
There have been recent reports that Saric has been contacted by several overseas teams hoping to sign him for next season. While Saric didn’t deny that, he made it clear that he hasn’t reached a decision, according to Durando.
“I didn’t sign a contract with nobody. Obviously, I still have a contract with Denver at the end of this season, my option for next year,” Saric said. “So you know, me and my family didn’t decide yet. I’m still kind of going through this season, and when the season is done, I’m going to see with my family what’s the best thing, what’s the best choice for me. … I really don’t (know) myself what’s the right choice for me in this moment.”
Chris Paul Hopes To Continue Playing Next Season
Chris Paul will celebrate his 40th birthday next month, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to end his NBA career. In an interview with Marc J. Spears of Andscape, the Spurs guard says he’ll talk to his family about it this summer, but he wants to keep playing.
“I’ll be 40 in May. So, yeah man, I’m going to keep playing, I think,” Paul said. “At the end of every season, I evaluate everything. Evaluate playing. Evaluate how my body feels. But the more years that go by, it’s more conversations with my family, with my kids. They have a lot of say so. They got a lot of input. Obviously, I got a lot of homies, friends that have retired or whatnot. And they are always like, ‘Man, play as long as you possibly can. Play as long as you possibly can.’ And I appreciate that. But I also, I just always want to talk to my kids about it because that’s the most important job that I have.”
Paul, who was selected by the New Orleans Hornets with the fourth pick in the 2005 draft, is the second-oldest player in the league, a few months behind LeBron James. He has been extremely durable in his 20th NBA season, starting all 76 of San Antonio’s games, but he’s averaging a career-low 8.8 points per game while shooting a career-worst 42.8% from the field.
Spears notes that rookie guard Stephon Castle is likely to become a starter next season alongside De’Aaron Fox, possibly leaving Paul with a reduced role if he returns to San Antonio. He’ll be a free agent again in July after signing a one-year, $10.6MM contract last summer. Brought in to be a veteran leader, Paul said he has been able to “teach what he can, but not be overwhelming” for the young roster, and it sounds like the Spurs have been happy with his influence.
“He’s a teacher at heart. People just see when he’s on the court, but there’s so much more to what he teaches,” general manager Brian Wright told Spears. “Life routine, big picture, business brand, all of it. He’s professional. He made it his home and jumped right in. We’ve had a lot of things happen this year and he’s never wavered. He’s been the same person. He’s been incredible to have him around.”
Spears notes that Paul was drawn to San Antonio by the chance to play for coach Gregg Popovich and team up with Victor Wembanyama, but they both were hit by serious health issues. Popovich suffered a mild stroke in November, and it’s uncertain if he’ll return to coaching next season. Wembanyama was shut down in February with a blood clot in his right shoulder, although he’s projected to make a full recovery.
“It’s extremely tough,” Paul said. “I’ve played against Pop for a number of years. It’s a huge reason why I came here. And so was Vic — two of the main reasons why I came here. But getting to know him the way that I have trumps any other thing that’s going on. I’m grateful for even the opportunity for the time that we did get to play together.”
Ja Morant Fined $75K For Finger-Gun Gestures
Ja Morant was fined $75K for making finger-gun gestures during Thursday’s game at Miami, the NBA announced (via Twitter). The statement from the league notes that the Grizzlies guard was warned about the gestures earlier this week.
Morant displayed the gesture (Twitter link) multiple times on Thursday, according to James Jackson, Will Guillory and Alex Andrejev of The Athletic. He did it after scoring his first basket midway through the first quarter and again after hitting a three-pointer in the third quarter.
Guns are a sensitive issue regarding Morant, who was twice suspended for displaying a firearm in social media videos. The NBA didn’t punish him after he and Warriors guard Buddy Hield exchanged the gestures during Tuesday’s game, but he was asked to refrain from using it again, according to Jackson, Guillory and Andrejev.
Sources tell the authors that representatives from the league reached out to both teams, calling the gestures inappropriate and instructing them to tell Morant and Hield to stop. The teams reportedly argued that the gestures aren’t intended to promote violence.
Morant talked about the finger-gun celebrations and his perception around the league after hitting a dramatic game-winning shot to beat Miami.
“Every little thing,” he said. “If somebody can say something negative about me, it’s going to be out there. I don’t care no more. … I’m used to it. I’ve pretty much been a villain for two years now.”
He also said “I love it” when asked about playing the villain role.
Joel Embiid, Sixers’ Front Office Clashed Over Knee Issues
There was some “tension” between Joel Embiid and the Sixers‘ front office before he made the decision to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his injured left knee, ESPN’s Shams Charania said Thursday in an appearance on First Take (Twitter video link; hat tip to RealGM).
Embiid has experienced repeated knee issues since suffering a lateral meniscus injury last winter. He underwent a procedure on the knee and was able to return for the playoffs, although his mobility was limited. After playing in the Summer Olympics, Embiid continued to be bothered by swelling in the knee and was only able to suit up for 19 games this season.
“The team believed he needed to play at some points of the season, that he needed to get his conditioning right through playing and getting better that way,” Charania said. “He felt like he needed surgery. He ends up getting the surgery.”
Embiid and the Sixers have been consulting with medical specialists to determine the best treatment, and Charania states that some of the “radical” options would have resulted in Embiid missing all of next season. By choosing arthroscopic surgery, he’s projected to be reevaluated in six weeks and to eventually make a full recovery that will enable him to play in 2025/26.
Embiid’s knee issues are among a flood of injuries that destroyed the season in Philadelphia. The Sixers entered training camp hoping to contend for a title, but instead they’re 23-54 with a 10-game losing streak and are trying to hold onto their top-six protected first-round pick in this year’s draft.
Before the Bucks and Sixers met Thursday night, Milwaukee coach Doc Rivers informed reporters that Embiid told him during a February 9 game that he was probably headed for surgery again, relays Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer. Rivers, who coached Embiid for three seasons in Philadelphia, expressed sympathy for his former player.
“I mean, it’s tough,” Rivers said. “The guy is as talented as anyone I ever coached. And it’s just too bad for him.”
Sixers Guard Tyrese Maxey Expected To Miss Rest Of Season
Sixers star guard Tyrese Maxey is expected to be shut down for the rest of the season, ESPN’s Shams Charania tweets.
Maxey has not played since March 3 due to finger tendon injury. He has attempted to rehab the finger, but continues to deal with discomfort and needs treatment. The team’s other stars, Joel Embiid and Paul George, have already been ruled out for the remainder of the season.
Maxey has started 52 games this season, averaging a career-high 26.3 points to go along with 6.1 assists and 3.3 rebounds per contest.
He was named the league’s Most Improved Player last season, then signed a five-year, maximum-salary contract during the summer. Maxey averaged 25.9 points, 6.2 assists, and 3.7 rebounds in 37.5 minutes per game across 70 outings (all starts) last season.
The Sixers have lost 26 of their last 30 games with six games remaining. Philadelphia, which has lost nine straight, faces Milwaukee tonight. The Sixers owe a first-round pick to Oklahoma City but will retain it if they wind up with one of the top six selections.
