Taurean Prince Undergoes Arthroscopic Ankle Surgery
Cavaliers forward Taurean Prince has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle, the team announced today in a press release. The procedure took place on Tuesday in New York.
Prince had been experiencing ongoing discomfort in his left ankle for several weeks, and there had long been an expectation that he’d undergo surgery during the offseason. However, as was reported last week, he and the team opted to move up that procedure, completing it before the end of the 2020/21 season.
The Cavaliers didn’t provide a specific timeline for Prince’s recovery, simply stating that he has been ruled out indefinitely. It’s safe to assume his season is over and that he’ll aim to be ready by the fall, but the club says his return to basketball activities will be updated as appropriate.
Prince, who started the season in Brooklyn, was sent to Cleveland in the four-team James Harden trade in January. He has appeared in a total of 41 games for the Nets and Cavs this season, averaging 9.5 PPG and 3.5 RPG with a very solid .400 3PT% in 22.1 minutes per contest.
Prince will be entering a contract year in 2021/22 — his expiring $13MM salary could make him a trade candidate either in the offseason or at next year’s deadline.
Possible Lottery Pick Josh Giddey Will Enter 2021 Draft
7:10pm: Giddey confirmed the news on his official Instagram page in a lengthy post.
6:17pm: Agents Daniel Moldovan and Alex Saratsis of Octagon Sports have announced that Adelaide 36ers guard Josh Giddey will enter the 2021 NBA draft, per Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.
The 6’8″ Giddey is currently ranked as the No. 13 prospect on ESPN’s big board, fourth among shooting guards. Across 21 games with Adelaide during the 2020/21 season, the ball-handling guard posted averages of 10.9 PPG, 7.1 APG and 6.9 RPG and 1.2 SPG in the Australian NBL, on .411/.308/.686 shooting.
“The 36ers have done a great job developing me, and have put a lot of work into my game over the entire time I’ve been here,” Giddey said in an announcement. “My teammates and the coaching staff here in Adelaide have helped my game reach a new level, and that’s only given me more confidence that this is the right decision for me.”
Pelicans Sign Didi Louzada To Multiyear Contract
The Pelicans have officially signed draft-and-stash prospect Didi Louzada to a multiyear contract, the team announced today in a press release.
A report earlier in the month indicated that the two sides were finalizing a deal, so this move was expected. Will Guillory of The Athletic said last week that Louzada’s first NBA contract is expected to be a two-year deal, though that’s not yet confirmed.
Louzada, who most recently played in Australia with the Sydney Kings, was the No. 35 pick in the 2019 NBA draft. The Brazilian guard averaged 8.8 points and 3.4 rebounds per game in 20 contests (24.1 MPG) with Sydney this season, shooting 39.1% from the field and 26.4% from behind the arc.
The Pelicans had been carrying 13 players on their 15-man roster since Isaiah Thomas‘ 10-day contract expired on April 13. Because teams are only permitted to dip below 14 players on standard deals for up to two weeks at a time, today was the deadline for New Orleans to re-add a 14th man. The club still has one open roster spot.
Cam Reddish Out For Rest Of Regular Season
Hawks forward Cam Reddish, who is dealing with right Achilles soreness, has progressed to running and dynamic foot contacts every other day, according to the team, which announced today in a press release that he’s also doing capacity-building strength work four or five days a week.
Reddish will be re-evaluated during the week of May 16 and his status will be updated as appropriate, the Hawks said in their statement. Since May 16 is the last day of the 2020/21 regular season, Reddish won’t be back until the playoffs — if he returns at all this season.
The 10th overall pick in the 2019 draft, Reddish was a key contributor for Atlanta earlier in the year, starting 21 of his 26 games and averaging 11.2 PPG and 4.0 RPG in 28.8 minutes per contest. However, he has been sidelined for over two months, having last played on February 21.
While Reddish remains an important part of the Hawks’ long-term plans, it’s hard to imagine he’ll be a part of the team’s regular postseason rotation if and when he returns, tweets Chris Kirschner of The Athletic. The 21-year-old would have plenty of rust to shake off and would likely be on a minutes restriction, Kirschner notes.
Grand Rapids To Be Nuggets’ New G League Affiliate
The Nuggets will have a G League affiliate starting next season, the team announced in a press release. Denver will partner with the Grand Rapids Drive, which was previously affiliated with the Pistons.
The G League team will be a hybrid affiliate, which means the Nuggets will control basketball operations, while the Drive’s current ownership, led by Steve Jbara, will conduct business operations and community engagement. The team will unveil a new name in the next few weeks.
News of the arrangement was first reported in February.
“We are extremely excited about this partnership and look forward to what the future holds for our franchises,” said Nuggets president of basketball operations Tim Connelly. “We know that Grand Rapids is an excellent organization and the collaboration we can have with our own G League team is something that will be hugely beneficial to our players, staff and organization. It’s just a great situation for all parties involved.”
The Drive’s partnership with the Pistons ended last year when the Suns sold their G League affiliate to Detroit. The Northern Arizona Suns will move to Detroit next season and will be called the Motor City Cruise. The Drive had to search for a new affiliate and were reluctant to leave the city that they have called home since 2014.
The Nuggets, meanwhile, have sought to establish a G League team for years, according to Mike Singer of The Denver Post, who notes that the team has considered cities like Las Vegas, Seattle, Nashville, San Diego, and Omaha. Roadblocks such as local ownership issues or building restrictions always got in the way.
The Nuggets’ new affiliate will be located several states away, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which won’t necessarily allow for constant shuttling of players back and forth between the NBA and G League teams. But it will give Denver an opportunity to develop its young players first-hand at the NBAGL level.
“I couldn’t be more thrilled to announce our partnership with Denver and am excited to welcome the Nuggets to Michigan and the Grand Rapids family,” Jbara said. “This partnership is a true testament to the Nuggets’ commitment to development and we’re so happy to be able to help the team continue those initiatives in Grand Rapids for years to come.”
With today’s announcement, Phoenix and Portland will be the only NBA teams without a direct G League affiliate for 2021/22.
Magic Sign Moritz Wagner, Cut Robert Franks
9:40am: The Magic have officially signed Wagner, the team announced in a press release. Franks has been released early from his 10-day contract in order to open up the necessary roster spot.
9:00am: The Magic have agreed to sign free agent big man Moritz Wagner, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN (Twitter link). It’ll be a standard contract for Wagner rather than a 10-day deal, Wojnarowski adds.
Wagner, who turned 24 on Monday, has already played for three teams since being selected with the 25th overall pick in the 2018 draft. He spent his rookie year with the Lakers, was traded to the Wizards in the three-team Anthony Davis blockbuster in 2019, then was flipped to the Celtics at this year’s deadline in a three-team deal that also involved the Bulls. Boston subsequently waived Wagner.
A 6’11” forward/center, Wagner has averaged 6.5 PPG and 3.2 RPG in 122 career games (14.1 MPG) as a pro. While the German has some potential as a floor-stretching big man, his three-point shot has been unreliable since he entered the NBA — he has made just 30.2% of his outside attempts.
Having shifted into rebuilding mode, the Magic will see what they can get out of Wagner down the stretch as he presumably auditions for a spot on next year’s roster. It’s not clear yet whether or not Wagner’s deal with the Magic will cover multiple seasons, but even if it’s just a rest-of-season pact, he’d be eligible for restricted free agency this offseason.
Orlando doesn’t currently have an open 15-man roster spot, but has two players on 10-day deals. As we noted earlier today, Robert Franks‘ and Donta Hall‘s 10-day contracts run through Saturday and Sunday, respectively. If the Magic want to officially sign Wagner before this weekend, they could terminate one of those two contracts early (the player would still be paid for 10 days of service).
Kendrick Nunn Will Draw Serious Interest In Free Agency
At least two teams plan to aggressively pursue Heat point guard Kendrick Nunn in free agency this summer, Alex Kennedy of Basketball News reports.
Nunn is expected to be a restricted free agent, assuming Miami extends a $4.736MM qualifying offer after the season. Nunn would then have to sign an offer sheet and the Heat would have the right to match the offer in that scenario.
Several teams were looking to make a deal for Nunn prior to last month’s trade deadline, Kennedy adds.
Nunn has dropped out of coach Erik Spoelstra’s rotation at times this season but he’s played a major role with Victor Oladipo sidelined by a knee injury until sitting out Monday’s game against Chicago. He averaged 19.8 PPG, 4.3 RPG and 3.6 APG over the past five games while making half of his 3-point attempts. Overall, he’s averaging 14.0 PPG, 2.9 RPG and 3.2 APG in 29.0 MPG while starting 35 of 47 games.
He was the runner-up to Ja Morant for Rookie of the Year honors last season, averaging 15.3 PPG and 3.3 APG in 67 starts.
A handful of teams will have significant cap room this summer, which should work in the favor of restricted free agents such as Nunn, Kennedy notes.
When Miami initially acquired Oladipo, it was assumed the Heat would prioritize him in free agency. However, Oladipo’s knee and leg woes could convince the Heat to make more of an effort to hold onto Nunn.
Rockets Shut Down John Wall
7:30pm: Rockets general manager Rafael Stone said that Wall was diagnosed with a right hamstring strain after an MRI, Mark Berman of FOX26 tweets. The injury occurred against the Clippers on Friday.
6:11pm: The Rockets are shutting down John Wall for the rest of the season due to a hamstring injury, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets.
Houston has 11 games remaining. The Rockets have been a disaster since getting off to an 11-10 start, winning just four of their last 40 games. Shutting down Wall should contribute to the free fall.
Naturally, the Rockets are in great position to get one of the top three picks in the draft. Their 15-46 record is the league’s worst, giving them a 14% chance at the top pick and 52.1% shot at a top-four selection. If Houston’s pick falls outside the top four, the Thunder would receive it, swapping it for Miami’s first-rounder.
Wall has appeared in 40 games and averaged 20.6 PPG and 6.9 APG in his first year with the Rockets. In his last outing, he racked up 27 points and 13 assists against the Clippers on Friday. The former No. 1 overall pick only played 32 games with Washington in 2018/19 and missed all of last season due to a ruptured Achilles.
The player he was traded for, Russell Westbrook, has been a triple-double machine for the Wizards in the second half of the season.
With several key rotation pieces sitting out, the Rockets will rely on unheralded players such as Armoni Brooks, Kenyon Martin Jr. and Anthony Lamb to finish out the season.
Clippers Sign DeMarcus Cousins For Rest Of Season
3:50pm: The Clippers have made it official, announcing that they’ve signed Cousins to a rest-of-season contract.
12:04pm: The Clippers will sign big man DeMarcus Cousins to a contract that covers the remainder of the 2020/21 season, league sources Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports (Twitter link).
Cousins previously signed a pair of 10-day deals with Los Angeles. The second of those contracts expired on Sunday night, and a team isn’t permitted to sign a player to a third 10-day pact in the same season, so the Clippers would’ve had to let Cousins go if they weren’t willing to commit to him for the rest of the season.
Cousins, who began the season with the Rockets, has now appeared in eight games as a Clipper, averaging 6.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in just 11.5 minutes per contest. He’s making 48.8% shots so far in L.A., scoring far more efficiently than he did in Houston, where he was converting just 37.6% of his attempts from the floor. He has also drawn six charges on the defensive end.
Although Cousins isn’t playing a major role for the Clippers, he has fit in well so far and has been an important depth piece with Serge Ibaka (back) sidelined. Head coach Tyronn Lue believes there’s room for him to continue improving and to perhaps play a larger role, as Mirjam Swanson of The Southern California News Group writes.
“Once (Cousins) learns the plays and sets, understands what we’re trying to do defensively, getting in a little better shape, I think he definitely can (help),” Lue said. “We have a month left before the playoffs start, and for him to get a month of just understanding what we’re trying to run, what we’re doing, I think it’ll make us so much better.”
If Cousins officially signs his new deal today, it would pay him $368,903 for the rest of the season, with the Clippers taking on a $233,095 cap hit.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
Devin Cannady Undergoes Surgery On Ankle
APRIL 26: The Magic issued an update on Cannady today, announcing in a press release that he underwent a surgical procedure on Monday morning to clean out his ankle.
Although Cannady sustained an open ankle dislocation and a severe lateral sprain, the team said that further X-rays, a CT scan, and an MRI showed that his bones and cartilage remain intact. That’s good news for the rookie guard, who is in a plaster splint and is done for the season but is expected to make a full recovery, according to the club.
APRIL 25: Magic guard Devin Cannady has suffered an open fracture of his right ankle, an injury that will require surgery, the team announced on social media. Cannady sustained the injury during the first quarter of Orlando’s game against Indiana on Sunday night.
Cannady contested a drive and landed awkwardly on his ankle, shouting in agony as he fell near the baseline. No timetable has been issued for the Princeton product, who was stretchered off the floor shortly after sustaining the injury. It’s safe to say his season is over.
Cannady, 24, received G League Finals MVP honors this season with Lakeland. He appeared in seven games with the Magic, playing a total of 73 minutes across those contests. After first signing a 10-day deal with Orlando, he later inked a two-way pact with the club. He and Chasson Randle are the team’s two-way players.
The Magic are 18-41 and eight games behind the No. 10 seed Wizards with just under a month left in the season.
