Here's the latest on the Mavericks, who are expected to be one of the NBA's busiest teams this summer:
- Ian Mahinmi reiterates to Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com that he "really" wants to remain a Maverick.
- Delonte West would also like to return to Dallas, though Jeff Caplan of ESPN Dallas thinks it's unlikely. West is hopeful that he's played well enough to earn a multiyear deal in free agency, says Caplan.
- Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News outlines how the Mavericks can create cap room to offer Deron Williams a maximum contract. Sefko argues the Mavs could have about $23MM in cap space to spend on free agents if they amnesty Brendan Haywood and renounce most of their own free agents, but I'm not sure the math adds up. Cap holds for empty roster spots and partial guarantees for players like Vince Carter and Lamar Odom will make it tricky to offer Williams a max deal without making another move or two.
- The Mavs' offseason isn't necessarily a case of Williams-or-bust, says Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Jason Kidd still feels like he can help a team win, and hopes that happens in Dallas, writes Earl K. Sneed of NBA.com.