By Luke Adams |
at June 8, 2012 10:38 am
It figures to be an eventful summer for the 76ers, who hold three picks in the draft, should receive plenty of inquiries on Andre Iguodala, and could use the amnesty clause to clear Elton Brand's $18MM+ salary from their books. I previewed the Sixers' offseason last week, but as the draft and free agency approach, we'll gain a better understanding of their plans. In the meantime, let's check in on the latest items out of Philadelphia….
Read more
- The 76ers will probably target a big man with their 15th overall pick, according to John Mitchell of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Mitchell lists Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, Arnett Moultrie, Fab Melo, and Kyle O'Quinn as players who may interest in the Sixers, though not all of them are expected to be available at No. 15.
- The Sixers figure to draft a scoring guard with one of their two second-round picks, says Mitchell.
- Brand is "not a lock" to be amnestied, according to Mitchell.
- Mitchell adds that Lou Williams is still expected to decline his player option for 2012/13.
- Jack McCarthy of the Philadelphia Daily News takes a look at a pair of North Carolina big men, Zeller and Henson, that the Sixers wouldn't mind landing on June 28th. Both players have workouts scheduled with Philadelphia.
—–
By Luke Adams |
at June 8, 2012 10:03 am
Earlier today, we passed along tweets from HoopsWorld's Steve Kyler on Dion Waiters' possible draft-day guarantee. Kyler is hearing that the Suns may have made promised Waiters they'll draft him at 13th overall, resulting in the Syracuse guard shutting down his workouts. That wasn't Kyler's only update of interest this morning, however, as he tweeted a few more notes from the draft combine. Let's round them up….
Read more
- The Bobcats are shopping the second overall pick, but they "want a lot for it," according to one executive. Charlotte may simply be testing the pick's trade value.
- Most NBA teams aren't as interested in the on-court action at the combine as they are in the medicals and interviews with prospects.
- The Warriors have four picks in the draft, as our breakdown of picks by team shows, but they won't be keeping all four. Kyler hears that Golden State may emerge from the draft having selected one player to help immediately and one player to stash overseas. Presumably that means they're looking to trade the other two.
- Kyler is hearing conflicting reports on the Magic's GM search. One source says the Spurs' Dennis Lindsey is the frontrunner with Jeff Bower as another strong option. Another source says the Magic will interview Lindsey, Tom Penn, and the Thunder's Troy Weaver this week. The general consensus suggests Lindsey is Orlando's top choice if he wants the job.
—–
By Luke Adams |
at June 8, 2012 9:27 am
According to ESPN.com's Chad Ford, Dion Waiters has left the Chicago draft combine and cancelled his scheduled workouts, leading to speculation that the Syracuse guard has received assurances from a team that he'll be selected in the lottery. Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link) hears from a source that the Raptors at No. 8 were the team to give Waiters a guarantee, but Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld reports that GM Bryan Colangelo emphatically denied making such a promise.
Read more
"Why me? Why am I the guy making promises?" asked Colangelo, adding:
"We did not guarantee anything to anybody" (
Twitter links).
"His agent has told me there's a promise to another team," the Raptors GM told Doug Smith of the Toronto Star (Twitter link). "Regardless, if he's on the board he's in our mix."
According to Kyler's sources, the Suns are more likely to be the team that made Waiters a draft-day promise (Twitter link). Phoenix currently holds the 13th overall pick, and will be in need of backcourt help this summer, especially if Steve Nash signs elsewhere.
Alex Lee of Hoops Rumors examined Waiters in a Prospect Profile piece last Friday.
—–
By Luke Adams |
at June 8, 2012 8:42 am
Plenty of the bigger names among this year's free agent class are in their 30s, and it's that over-30 group that ESPN.com's Ric Bucher focuses on in his latest Insider piece. Bucher spoke to GMs, scouts, and personnel experts that gave him feedback on this summer's free agents, including tidbits on Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Jameer Nelson, and plenty more. Here are a few highlights:
Read more
- The Suns, Blazers, and Raptors are expected to be the top suitors for Nash, with the Nets lurking as a wild card if they can't re-sign Deron Williams.
- The "prevailing wisdom" suggests that teams on the verge of playoff contention willing to overpay need not apply for Garnett. According to Bucher, KG is only interested in situations where title contention is realistic.
- One of Bucher's sources names the Jazz as a team that could make a play for Nelson.
- The Rockets could be in the mix for Andre Miller if they only retain one of Goran Dragic or Kyle Lowry.
- A source tells Bucher that Chris Kaman would "welcome the chance" to return to the Hornets and play alongside Anthony Davis.
- One source on Jason Kidd: "Hurts to say this, because I have so much respect for him, but he's run his course. This was his final chapter. He's 15 minutes a night as a backup for someone like San Antonio or Oklahoma City or maybe Brooklyn."
—–
By Daniel Seco |
at June 7, 2012 10:23 pm
LeBron James' tour-de-force performance in the first half of Game 6 proved to be the catalyst the Heat needed to push the Celtics to a series-deciding Game 7 on Saturday in Miami. With 45 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in the Heat's 98-79 victory, James became the first player to notch such prolific numbers during the playoffs in over 15 years. Let's check in on the latest news and headlines from around the league…
Read more
- The Magic need to look beyond the likes of Shaquille O'Neal and Phil Jackson to find a real general manager to help right the franchise, writes Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel. Names like Jeff Bower may not be the made-for-TV choice for the Magic at general manager, but would help provide stability moving forward and ultimately give the team the best opportunity to retain Dwight Howard.
- Andy Dolich of CSNBayArea.com has the latest updates on the Warriors' plans for their new arena to be built in San Francisco. The arena is expected to be completed within five years, which Dolich suggests to be a very ambitious timeline.
- Roy Hibbert enters the offseason as a restricted free agent but expressed his love for Indiana during a charity softball game on Thursday night, reports the Associated Press (via NBA.com). Hibbert has not said that he will take a discount to stay with the Pacers as the former Georgetown big man is expected to draw attention from around the league.
- Shannon Ryan of the Chicago Tribune says the stars of Kentucky's recent NCAA title run are planning to meet up for a mini-reunion during the combine in Chicago. Kentucky has six members of its championship team in town and could surpass 2010 when the school set a record when it had five players selected in the first round.
—–
By Daniel Seco |
at June 7, 2012 9:25 pm
The Bulls seemed poised to make a playoff run this spring when they finished the regular season tied with the Spurs for the best record in the NBA. Derrick Rose, who had missed 27 games over the course of the season, was finally healthy when the team drew a Sixers team that had collapsed in the second half of the season. What ensued continues to give the entire city of Chicago nightmares as the Bulls faithful remains hopeful Rose can regain the form that netted him MVP during the 2010/2011 season. Let's catch up on the latest news and headlines out of Chicago as the franchise's future going forward remains unclear…
Read more
- There's no secret that the Bulls front office wants to retain Taj Gibson when he becomes a restricted free agent after next season and the feeling is mutual, reports Nick Friedell of ESPNChicago.com. Gibson, 26, realizes the team has other items on its to-do list before it can start working on an extension for him, but would like to remain in a Bulls uniform for the long haul. "I believe my future is here. Either mid-July or next year (for an extension), just have to be patient and just wait and see."
- K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune says the Bulls will look to use their lone draft pick on a combo guard who can shoot and handle the ball. Given Rose's injury and the likelihood that C.J. Watson won't be back with the team, the Bulls' lack of depth at guard will have them looking to bolster their backcourt. Former Oregon State star Jared Cunningham considers himself to be a good fit for the team as he explicitly stated so. "They said they're looking for athletic combo guards. I feel I can help them."
- The finish to the Bulls' season would have looked vastly different if Rose hadn't torn his ACL against the Sixers, writes Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times. Morrissey predicts the Bulls would have advanced to the NBA Finals to face the Thunder but would have lost in seven games. The Bulls could be without both Rose and Luol Deng for an extended period of time this fall as Deng is expected to undergo wrist surgery later this summer.
—–
By Daniel Seco |
at June 7, 2012 8:17 pm
The 2012 NBA Draft Combine got underway Thursday in Chicago and will continue through Friday as prospects are tested, weighed and interviewed with hopes of improving their stock for June 28. Former Florida star Bradley Beal's height was a point of contention heading into the combine but the ex-Gator shooting guard surprised everyone when he told reporters he measured in at 6-foot-4, which was on the higher end of expectations. Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio has more news and headlines out of Chicago with the draft exactly three weeks away…
Read more
- Not only would Harrison Barnes be a good fit for the Cavs given his on-court talents, but the former North Carolina star also happens to be very good friends with budding star Kyrie Irving. The small forward is described as being very professional and his relationship with Irving could lead to the Cavs selecting him with the fourth pick in the draft. “I wouldn’t say (Barnes) is going to be a regular All-Star in this league, but I think he’ll be better (in the NBA) than he was in college with the right guys around him,” said one Western Conference executive. “Basically, he’s not someone who will carry your team by himself, but he could be a whale of a No. 2 option.”
- The Knicks are looking to obtain a first-round pick as they currently hold a second-round selection (48th overall). There are several teams with two picks in the first round that are looking to trade down including the Trail Blazers, Celtics and Warriors. If the Knicks are able to secure a first-round pick, look for New York to explore a variety of options as the team has roster needs across the board.
- Former Ohio State star Jared Sullinger's stock is up in the air as experts say the big man could go anywhere from sixth to 15th. The Celtics have expressed interest in Sullinger but may not be able to draft him as he could be off the board by the time they pick at 21st. Uncertainty over Sullinger's draft status stems from his lack of adequate size to play center and not being a natural fit at power forward.
—–
By Daniel Seco |
at June 7, 2012 7:03 pm
The Hornets have enjoyed good fortune off the court this spring after struggling through the 2011/2012 season with a 21-45 record. After finding a new owner in Tom Benson, New Orleans beat the odds by winning the NBA draft lottery last week which gives the team the opportunity to rebuild its roster with the top pick come June. Let's head down to the Big Easy to catch up on the latest news and headlines surrounding the Hornets…
Read more
- Hornets head coach Monty Williams and top prospect Anthony Davis have begun to forge a relationship as they may ultimately end up working together for years to come, writes Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. Williams and Davis plan to eat dinner and watch the Eastern Conference Finals together on Thursday as the pair has grown close through texting. "I know they work hard every night under Coach," Davis said. "It’s a great place to play."
- John Reid of The Times Picayune says the Hornets are continuing to explore all possible options with their 10th pick as general manager Dell Demps talks with other teams about a potential trade. "Yes, we will if it makes sense,'' Demps said. "There’s been some teams that have put young guys around a top pick. Some of the other teams have put veterans around the pick. Some have been successful both ways. I think we’re just going to look at what is going to be the best for our situation.''
- While it's all but certain that Davis will be selected first overall by the Hornets, the former Kentucky star says it isn't guaranteed that New Orleans will pick him but is optimistic about his career, regardless of where he lands, reports the Associated Press (via NBA.com). "If I keep working hard, playing hard and doing what I have to do to make my team win – do what the coaches want me to do, do what the veterans want me to do – I think the sky's the limit," Davis said.
—–
By Daniel Seco |
at June 7, 2012 6:07 pm
With the departure of general manager Neil Olshey to the Trail Blazers, the Clippers' offseason has gotten off to a precipitous start with free agency looming. Before addressing the team's roster this summer, the Clippers will need to fill Olshey's role as the search has already gotten underway. The franchise hopes to build on major strides made this season after acquiring Chris Paul from the Hornets and advancing to the second round of the playoffs. Here's the latest news and stories making headlines out of the Staples Center…
Read more
- The Clippers could have easily retained Olshey if they had merely offered him a three-year, $2.25MM contract as he was only making $450K per season, writes Mark Heisler of Sheridan Hoops. Olshey's salary for the 2011/2012 season represented a figure lower than what some assistant coaches are paid and represented a trend for general managers under owner Donald Sterling. Elgin Baylor, who served as the Clippers' general manager for 22 years, was only making $350K at the end of his tenure in 2008.
- Heisler says Blake Griffin remains a 90% shot to remain with the Clippers long-term by signing an extension. Expect Griffin to command a max five-year, $90MM contract to keep him in Clippers' red, white and blue after being drafted by the team in 2009. The former Oklahoma star averaged 20.7 PPG and 10.9 RPG in 66 starts this season.
- A reunion between Lamar Odom and the Clippers may bode well for both parties, suggests Dan Woike of The Orange County Register. While Kevin Garnett would be a good fit for Los Angeles, Odom would be a more affordable option to replace Kenyon Martin, who is likely to move on after one season. Odom, 33 this fall, suffered through the worst season of his career after being traded to Dallas by the Lakers.
—–
By Daniel Seco |
at June 7, 2012 5:08 pm
The Spurs' season came to an early conclusion on Wednesday evening as they fell to the Thunder 107-99 in Oklahoma City. The loss marked the second consecutive season in which the team finished with the best regular season record in the Western Conference but failed to reached the NBA Finals. With an aging roster and Tim Duncan's pending free agency, the Spurs face a summer of slight uncertainty heading into the 2012/2013 season. Here's the latest news and notes out of San Antonio…
Read more
- While the Spurs lack the type of salary cap space required to sign a marquee free agent, the team will have the full mid-level exception at their disposal this offseason, writes Zach Lowe of SI.com. Erazem Lorbek, acquired from the Pacers in the George Hill trade, could be a target for the Spurs as the Slovenian big man has been playing well for Ricky Rubio's former team in Spain. Other top teams such as the Lakers, Bulls and Heat will only have the mini mid-level exception available as they attempt to reload during free agency.
- Lowe says to look for the Spurs to re-sign Duncan this summer as San Antonio will attempt another run at the NBA title with the same key pieces in place. The team could also look to shed salary by using the amnesty clause to rid themselves of Matt Bonner's $3.6MM contract but are unlikely to do so unless they have interest in pursuing a particular free agent that fits into their scheme.
- Gregg Popovich told the media on Thursday that he expects Kawhi Leonard to be with the Spurs for a long time and for Duncan to return to the team next season, says Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News (via Twitter here and here). When speaking about Leonard, Popovich said, "He’s somebody who is hopefully going to be a Spur for a long, long time."
—–