D-League Moves: Melo, Smith, Lamb

We'll round up today's D-League assignments and recalls here, with the latest movement on top of the page.

  • Two days after re-assigning him to the Maine Red Claws, the Celtics have recalled Fab Melo, the team announced today in a press release. The rookie big man had six points and five rebounds in his lone game for the Red Claws this weekend.
  • Rockets center Greg Smith has been sent to the D-League, tweets Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle. Smith will join the Rio Grande Valley Vipers for the first time this season after spending 26 games with the Vipers last year. The 6'10" Smith is averaging 5.5 points and 4.0 rebounds in 13.9 minutes with the Rockets this season, but lost his spot in the rotation to Cole Aldrich over the past two games.
  • The Bucks have recalled rookie Doron Lamb from the D-League, the team announced via Twitter. Milwaukee sent him down to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants a week ago, and the 6'4" shooting guard has had mixed results in four games since, going scoreless on Wednesday against Sioux Falls and hitting for 24 points last night versus Iowa. In six D-League games over two separate stints, Lamb is averaging 10.3 points in 25.5 minutes per game. He's put up 3.4 PPG in 12.2 MPG with the Bucks, but hasn't seen action in an NBA contest since January 5th, the final game before Jim Boylan took over for Scott Skiles as coach.

Eastern Notes: Josh Smith, Turner, Richardson

Rumors have been swirling around Josh Smith the past couple of days, yet HoopsWorld's Lang Greene says that the Hawks aren't actively shopping Smith for now, and are simply listening to offers to gauge the power forward's value. Greene also passes along the comments Smith made about the speculation in a video report by Atlanta journalist Nubyjas Wilborn. Smith is far from the only player who's had to respond to trade chatter as the February 21st deadline approaches, as we hear from another who could be on the move in our roundup from the Eastern Conference:

Rockets GM Focused On Offseason, Not Deadline

Josh Smith, Carlos Boozer and other prominent names have surfaced in trade rumors the past few days, but as Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle details, Rockets GM Daryl Morey isn't willing to make a deal before the deadline if it precludes the team from seeking marquee talent in free agency.

"Except if something unexpected comes along, someone signed that is very good and wants to be moved, we plan to keep our flexibility as an available destination for whatever free agent is available in July," the GM said.

Morey didn't rule out a minor move like last year's deadline deal that brought in Marcus Cambyas long as it doesn't compromise the team's summer plans. The Rockets have about $40MM in commitments for next season, which should be enough room to sign a maximum-salary free agent. Chris Broussard of ESPN.com reported this week that the Rockets are interested in Dwight Howard and, if they miss out on him, Andrew Bynum, both of whom will be free agents this summer. Reports have also linked Houston to Smith, who could be had either at the deadline or in the offseason.

As Feigen notes, James Harden continues to make a recruiting pitches to other stars around the league, but declines to name just whom he's been talking to. Harden would probably run afoul of the league's tampering rules if he did divulge any names, but, having signed a five-year extension that will keep him in Houston through the 2017/18 season, it's clear he wants the team to bring in more talent around him. The Rockets, tied with the Jazz for seventh place in the Western Conference, have a two-game lead on the Blazers for the last playoff spot, and Harden believes making the postseason would be a key in attracting free agents as well.

Suns Pursuing Iman Shumpert

11:18am: Woodson has spoken with Shumpert, but he can't assure him he won't be traded, Newsday's Al Iannazzone tweets.

10:48am: Knicks coach Mike Woodson seemed to downplay the idea of any Shumpert trade in his remarks to reporters, including Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv (Twitter link). 

"Sure, we talk to him and we show him love and we tell him he's a big part of what we're doing. Those are just trade rumors," Woodson said. 

SUNDAY, 9:04am: Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com hears the Knicks are unlikely to bite on a Shumpert-for-Dudley deal.

SATURDAY, 7:53pm: Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld adds on to Wojnarowski's report, saying that the Knicks would rather move Ronnie Brewer than Shumpert, but the Suns are intent on acquiring the second-year guard.

6:55pm: Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Phoenix Suns are pursuing a trade for Knicks guard Iman Shumpert. The Suns would offer a package including guard Jared Dudley and could possibly include a first-round pick as well.

Shumpert has been linked to the Suns since this summer, when they attempted to acquire him in a sign-and-trade with the Knicks for Steve Nash before Nash ultimately went to the Lakers. Saturday morning, Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld reported the Knicks' interest in Dudley, although Wojnarowski writes that New York is hesitant to do this trade.

Pacific Rumors: Dwight, Magic, Hill, Kings

Dwight Howard's father made news yesterday, weighing in on his son's upcoming free agency and the way he gets along with Mike D'Antoni and Kobe Bryant, among other topics. The younger Howard declined to address Dwight Sr.'s remarks, and Ric Bucher of 95.7 The Game is not surprised. Bucher says the relationship between Howard and son is a rocky one, and that Dwight Sr. has given several inaccurate off-the-record stories about his son to reporters over the years (Sulia link). It hasn't been easy to separate fact and fiction with the seemingly mercurial Howard over the past two years of his NBA career, but we're sure to hear plenty more about him between now and the day he inks his next contract this summer.

In the meantime, there's more about D12 and other Pacific Division figures right here:

  • Howard never wanted to go to L.A., according to Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal, who hears the Magic were threatening to trade him to the Lakers if he didn't decline the early-termination option on his contract at last year's trade deadline. 
  • Though Grant Hill is not ruling out a return to the ClippersBrian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel is convinced this is the final season for the 40-year-old, based on Hill's comments to him this week.
  • If Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson can work with Mark Mastrov and Ron Burkle to mount a credible bid for the Kings, the league will be facing an unprecedented showdown between two cities seeking the franchise, observes Ailene Voisin of the Sacramento Bee
  • Fellow Bee scribe Mark Glover examines some of the 20 local investors who've committed $1MM apiece to become minority owners if the Kings stay in Sacramento.

Kyler On Gordon, Lakers, Redick, Expirings

HoopsWorld's Steve Kyler took to Twitter for his latest round of trade deadline updates, and we'll round up the highlights here:

  • We heard Friday that the Hornets are willing to discuss offers for Eric Gordon, but the team says its interest in trading him is overstated, according to Kyler, who adds that New Orleans is looking for "tremendous value" in return for the 24-year-old shooting guard.
  • The Lakers, winners of seven out of nine games, have an open roster spot, and are without big men Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill because of injury. Still, they're unlikely to make an addition unless they start losing again.
  • The Bucks, Bulls, Pacers and Knicks have all emerged as suitors for J.J. Redick, but the Magic's price is "very high" because they'd like to retain the sharpshooter.
  • Answering a question about Cole Aldrich's $2.445MM expiring contract with the Rockets, Kyler says expiring deals aren't as sought-after this season as usual, because most teams that want to clear cap space for the summer have already done so, and teams looking to unload players to avoid the tax wouldn't be able to get under the tax line by dumping anyone in the last year of his deal. It's a trend he expects to continue under the new CBA, with shorter contracts and fewer teams likely to become taxpayers.

Thunder ‘Open-Minded’ About Eric Maynor Swap

Coming into the season, there figured to be a competition for the Thunder's backup point guard spot between second-year man Reggie Jackson and Eric Maynor, who returned from missing most of last year with a torn ACL. Jackson has gained the upper hand, and with Maynor's rookie deal set to expire at the end of the season, several other teams have asked the Thunder about Maynor's availability, tweets Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. Still, Spears says GM Sam Presti and company are inclined to keep Maynor, even as they keep open minds about the possibility of trading him.

A report about a month ago indicated the Sixers had explored the possibility of acquiring Maynor, who hasn't seen as many as 10 minutes in a game since December 17th. He's putting up career-worst numbers almost across the board, and wasn't particularly efficient even before his injury. The VCU product's best per-36-minute averages for points (10.8) and assists (7.5) were set during his rookie season, when the Jazz traded him to Oklahoma City. His career PER is a below-average 11.1.

The Thunder passed on an extension for Maynor before the season. If they don't trade him, they'll have to decide whether to tender him a $3.351MM qualifying offer before July 1st that would allow the team to retain the right to match offers for him when he hits free agency in the offseason. Maynor, the 20th pick in the 2009 draft, makes $2.339MM this year.

Warriors Rebuffing Offers For Harrison Barnes

Last night the Warriors fell, in blowout fashion, to the Mavs for their fourth straight loss, and have dropped to sixth place in the Western Conference. Still, Golden State isn't about to move its lottery pick from this past June. Small forward Harrison Barnes is drawing plenty of interest around the league, but it would take a "major offer" for the Warriors to even consider trading him, according to Marcus Thompson II of the Bay Area News Group (Sulia link).

Barnes, 20, slid right into the small forward spot that the Warriors had prioritized upgrading during the offseason. His numbers don't jump off the page, as he's averaging 9.4 points and 4.2 rebounds in 25.8 minutes per game, but he's scored in double figures in five of his last seven contests, including a career-high-tying 21 points against the Suns the last time Golden State won.

The Warriors have little flexibility, and are about $3MM under their hard cap for the season. That would make it difficult for them to acquire much help in return for Barnes' rookie-scale contract, which pays him just $2.798MM this year.

Odds & Ends: CP3, Clippers, Bargnani, Hunter, Scola

The latest news and notes from around the NBA on Saturday evening:

Bulls, Pacers Pursuing J.J. Redick

10:40pm: Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork reports that the Knicks are monitoring the market for Redick as well.

8:35pm: Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick has been one of the most heavily pursued players in the league in the weeks leading up to the February 21 trade deadline, and now Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld adds the Chicago Bulls and Indiana Pacers to the list of teams that are contemplating trading for him.

Kennedy notes that the Bulls signed Redick to an offer sheet in 2010, which Orlando matched. He also cautions that the Magic have not made a decision as to whether they will trade Redick, although he will draw plenty of interest if they do decide to move him.