Clippers, Celtics Re-Engage On Trade Talks

UPDATE 10:44pm: We suddenly have a number of late-night updates, courtesy of Shelburne, who reports that the Clippers have backed off their refusal to include two first round draft picks in the deal.  She also reports that the deal should get done by Thursday, and the Clippers believe it will ensure that Paul re-signs with the team on July 1 rather than becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Because coaches cannot be traded, the deal must consist of two separate transactions – first a swap of Jordan for Garnett and then a transmission of the two drafts picks from L.A. to Boston as compensation for the release of Rivers from his contract.  Because of this, Shelburne says that the teams will have to then convince the NBA that the two deals are not contigent on each other and that they are, in fact, separate transactions in order to meet the standards of the league's CBA. 

8:28pm: A deal will not be finalized tonight, tweets Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times.  The talks that resumed today will pick back up tomorrow morning.

6:53pm: Per Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne on Twitter, one source close to the trade talks expressed optimism that the teams could come to terms tonight. 

5:56pm: Merely a day after both sides suggested the deal was dead, the Clippers and Celtics have re-opened trade discussions involving Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter).  While they appeared to be moving on with their coaching search, the Clippers reached out to the Celtics today to resume dialogue and according to Wojnarowski, Chris Paul's insistence was a big reason why.  Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe tweets that the Clips are now determined to get a deal done, which could lead to a sweetener in the deal for the Celtics. 

We know that Rivers was set to meet with C's GM Danny Ainge today.  Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles tweets that that meeting has officially ended, curiously at about the same time we heard that talked had been reignited.  Citing a source close to Rivers, Shelburne writes that Rivers does want to coach next season but would like another shot at a championship, which he knows will not happen if Boston chooses to rebuild.  Washburn also tweets if the C's lose Rivers, expect Ainge to look for a younger replacement like Brian Shaw or Heat assistant David Fizdale

Meanwhile, sources tell ESPN.com's Chris Broussard that the meeting between Clippers owner Donald Sterling and head coaching candidate Byron Scott went "very well," yesterday.  Shaw, who was scheduled to meet with Sterling today, is currently at the Clippers' office, tweets Dan Woike of the Orange County Register. 

Talks between the two sides reportedly ended yesterday when the Clippers refused to include a second first-round draft pick in an offer that included DeAndre Jordan and one first-rounder. Jordan's $3MM trade kicker and the potential inclusion of Courtney Lee's or Jason Terry's contract were also believed to possible points of contention.  There are a ton of balls in the air for both teams in this situation.  Stay tuned. 

Draft Notes: Trades, Plumlee, Blazers, Warriors

Here is the latest circulating about next Thursday's NBA Draft:

  • We know that the Cavs are shopping the top pick, and while Sam Amico of Fox Sports tweets that interest in No. 1 is building, teams are more interested in the Magic's second pick and the Wizards' third pick.
  • Sean Meagher of Oregon Live posts a video of Mason Plumlee, in town for a workout with the Blazers, where the former Duke star says he can help a team right away.  Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest writes that Plumlee, who expects to get better despite his advanced game, is on a mission to prove he is the best big man in the draft.
  • Meanwhile, the Blazers will host bigs Steven Adams and Rudy Gobert for a workout on Thursday, tweets Haynes.
  • The Warriors, well aware of the value of young players, are looking to acquire a draft pick, writes Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group.  Golden State, who had four draft picks a year ago, has none at the moment for next Thursday's draft. 

Odds & Ends: Bucks, Mavs, Nuggets, Jones

As we all wait with bated breath for game seven tomorrow night between the Heat and the Spurs, let's round up some odds and ends from around the NBA on this Wednesday night:

Kobe Thinks Howard, Paul Stay Put

In an interview on 710 ESPN Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant said he expects Dwight Howard to stay with the Lakers and Chris Paul to stay with the Clippers, writes Eric Pincus of the L.A. Times.  Bryant, citing the franchise's past success with centers, said the Lakers have to find a way to retain Howard, who Bryant fully expects to meet with other teams. 

From Bryant: "Those guys are hard to find, they don't grow on trees.  When you have someone like that with his talent level, you have to be able to keep him and lock him in with this franchise." 

Bryant called the Lakers the "perfect spot" for Howard, and said that he would have been a "fool" to leave L.A. in 2004 when he had a chance to become a free agent himself.  Despite the recent migration of superstars, Bryant, when asked about Howard and Paul, seemed to think that there wouldn't be a ton of movement this offseason: 

"There's always so much talk going on, especially with big-name guys going here, going there, but that happens once in a blue moon.  I think at the end of the day, everybody stays."

Meanwhile, Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com gives his take on the four realistic summer options for the Lakers that revolve around Howard and his frontcourt mate Pau Gasol

Atlantic Notes: Sixers, Nets, Ujiri, Raptors

While the trade talk involving the Celtics has dominated the NBA rumor mill for the past few days, the C's are not the only team in their division with decisions to make.  Here is what is happening in the rest of the Atlantic:

  • According to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter), it shouldn't come as a surprise if the Sixers don't name a head coach until after Summer League play in July, since all of their assistants remain under contract for another season.
  • Nets head coach Jason Kidd has interviewed Lawrence Frank and Roy Rogers for potential spots on his staff, but there's nothing firm yet in either case, tweets Fred Kerber of the New York Post.
  • Raptors GM Masai Ujiri spoke to Jay Satur of Raptors.com about his first few weeks back in Toronto, preparing for the draft despite not having a pick, and his front office and scouting staff.

Jazz Hire Jerry Sloan As Senior Advisor

The Jazz announced on Wednesday evening that they have hired Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan in an official capacity as a Senior Basketball Advisor.  Sloan's role will entail player evaluation at workouts, summer league and camps, as well as limited pro and regional college scouting and occasional practice observation.  The news was initially revealed by Jazz CEO Greg Miller via Twitter.

In a statement, via the team's website, Sloan said, β€œIn my new role with the Jazz franchise, I hope to help the basketball operations staff and [head coach Tyrone Corbin] in any way that I can to achieve their goals.  I would like to thank the Miller family for the opportunity to be part of the organization again.”

Draft Notes: Cavs, Pistons, Thunder, Blazers

With the 2013 NBA draft just eight days away, various outlets continue to update their mock drafts, with Chris Mannix of SI.com and Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com the latest experts to provide new versions of their respective mocks. Mannix and Givony actually agree on the top four – Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Otto Porter, and Alex Len, respectively – but starting at No. 5, their first rounds diverge significantly. Here are more of today's draft-related updates:

  • Mannix's latest mock draft includes a number of interesting tidbits, including word that the Cavaliers continue to shop the first overall pick, but "have completely overvalued it," according to one executive.
  • We already passed along one notable update from Chad Ford's latest chat at ESPN.com, but the entire chat was full of interesting answers, as Ford addressed nearly every first-round pick.
  • C.J. McCollum and Michael Carter-Williams worked out with the Pistons today, tweets Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News.
  • If Carter-Williams falls to No. 12, he'd be an ideal fit for the Thunder, says David Thorpe of ESPN.com (Insider-only link).
  • The Trail Blazers worked out Mason Plumlee, Archie Goodwin, Myck Kabongo, Phil Pressey, E.J. Singler, and Dewayne Dedmon today, according to Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com (Twitter link).
  • The Grizzlies, who hold three second-round picks, will work out Erick Green, Elias Harris, Brandon Davies, Jason Jones, D.J. Stephens, and Mareks Mejeris tomorrow, the team announced in a release.
  • James Ennis was among the players who worked out for the Clippers today, according to the team's official site.

Jay-Z Becomes Certified NBA Agent

Rapper and entrepreneur Jay-Z has been certified to represent NBA players in contract negotiations, NBPA director of agent administration Robert Gadson confirmed to Liz Mullen of Sports Business Journal (Twitter link). As such, NBA players can now officially be represented by Jay-Z and his Roc Nation Sports agency.

We heard back in April that the man also known as Shawn Carter had started his own sports agency and aimed to become certified as an agent in multiple professional sports. Roc Nation Sports launched via a partnership with Creative Artists Agency, though it is its own company as well. Kevin Durant became the first big-name NBA player to commit to Roc Nation earlier this month, leaving former agent Rob Pelinka at Landmark Sports to join Jay-Z's agency.

Durant is signed to a long-term contract, so he won't require any negotiations in free agency this offseason — we'll have to wait to see if Roc Nation Sports signs any free-agents-to-be in the coming weeks, as free agency nears. Potential first overall pick Nerlens Noel was rumored to be considering signing with Roc Nation, but ultimately chose Andy Miller and Frank Catapano as his reps.

It's also unclear whether Jay-Z has officially sold his small stake in the Brooklyn Nets. Although Jay-Z held just a fraction of 1% of the franchise, it would seem to represent a conflict of interest if he were both an NBA agent and a part-owner of one of the league's teams.

Offseason Outlook: Memphis Grizzlies

Guaranteed Contracts

Options

Non-Guaranteed Contracts

Free Agents / Cap Holds

Draft Picks

  • 2nd Round (41st overall)
  • 2nd Round (60th overall)

Cap Outlook

  • Guaranteed Salary: $57,867,541
  • Options: $3,135,000
  • Non-Guaranteed Salary: $1,816,296
  • Cap Holds: $15,633,779
  • Total: $78,452,616

Much was made this season of the changing of the guard in Memphis, as new owner Robert Pera assumed control of the franchise from Michael Heisley, while GM Chris Wallace ceded decision-making power to new CEO Jason Levien. Whether or not it was an accurate portrayal, the two men most frequently cited as representative of the struggle of old vs. the new were head coach Lionel Hollins and front office exec John Hollinger.

The Grizzlies' hiring of Hollinger, the former ESPN.com analytics guru, was a signal that the team's brass was interested in embracing a new-school style of thinking, an approach Hollins wasn't necessarily on board with, given his comments after Memphis traded away Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington, and Rudy Gay. It turned out that either the front office or Hollins (or perhaps both) knew what they were doing, as the Grizzlies earned a spot in the Western Conference Finals before being beaten by the Spurs.

The deep playoff run wasn't enough for Hollins to keep his job, however, as he and the team parted ways after the season. Given the philosophical differences between Hollins and the front office, and the typical desire of a new management group to bring in its own coach, the split wasn't a surprise, but it's indicative of the franchise's direction going forward — when it comes to coaching hires, roster management, and player development, the new-look Grizzlies will be forward-thinking and nontraditional.

It will be interesting to see how the Grizzlies' new front office values Tony Allen, as one of the league's top perimeter defenders prepares to hit free agency this summer. Allen is coming off a bargain of a deal, at three years and $9.45MM, and if the Grizzlies could re-sign him for a similar price, I'd imagine they would jump at the opportunity. But Allen's stock has been on the rise over the last several years as his reputation as an elite defender has grown, so he's likely to draw plenty of interest on the open market.

After shedding a couple of multiyear contracts prior to the trade deadline, the Grizzlies have gained a little more long-term financial flexibility. Big salaries for Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, and Mike Conley still ensure there isn't a ton of wiggle room, but the Grizzlies only project to have about $58MM committed to eight players, assuming Jerryd Bayless doesn't exercise his player option. Even if Bayless does opt in, the Grizzlies should still have plenty of room to make Allen a competitive offer without approaching tax territory.

Re-signing Allen would likely preclude the pursuit of any other major free agents, however. As we saw this past year, the Grizzlies were willing to send a potential lottery pick to the Cavaliers to avoid paying the tax, so committing, say, $5MM annually to Allen would probably mean the Grizzlies would be filling out the rest of the roster with minimum-salary signings, with perhaps one player earning more than the minimum but less than the full mid-level (like Bayless).

Would re-signing Allen and tweaking the edges be enough to keep Memphis in contention going forward? Perhaps. Ed Davis figures to get more playing time under a new coach in the hopes that he can produce like he did in Toronto, and the team did thrive in the second half of 2012/13 without Gay. But the Grizzlies also looked overmatched in the Western Finals, and may not have even made it that far had it not been for Russell Westbrook's knee injury.

Letting Allen walk and looking to replace him with another player, or perhaps two or three less-expensive pieces, is one option. But given how much Allen reportedly enjoys playing in Memphis, I could see him taking a bit of a discount to stick around, which will make it hard for the team to find a better value among outside free agents. Additionally, Allen and Randolph have epitomized the Grizzlies' grit-and-grind style over the last couple years. While the two aren't exactly the icons that, for instance, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are in Boston, it almost feels as if the Grizzlies will either move forward with Allen and Randolph, or with neither of them.

That last idea may seem far-fetched, but I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility. When the Grizzlies were making their big moves prior to the trade deadline, there were multiple reports suggesting that the team was shopping Randolph, with an eye on moving him at some point. Although the club eventually informed Randolph he wouldn't be going anywhere, that doesn't mean the issue won't come up again at some point. Randolph isn't cheap, and the Grizzlies could decide that turning his contract into a couple more cap-friendly deals, and perhaps letting the inexpensive Davis develop more at power forward, could be in the team's best interests.

Still, I think that's an unlikely scenario for this summer. My best guess is that the Grizzlies will play it fairly safe this offseason, attempting to re-sign Allen and add a complementary piece or two that can help the team return to title contention — a backup point guard and an outside shooter look like the top priorities, especially if Bayless opts out. There may have been a difference of opinions between the new-school Grizzlies front office and the old-school Hollins, but I think both sides would agree that this roster is capable of contending, and doesn't need to be blown up.

Additional notes:

  • The Grizzlies pursued J.J. Redick at the trade deadline, and went after Ray Allen last summer. It will be interesting to see if the team is finally able to land an elite outside shooter this summer. Redick will probably be too expensive, and I doubt Allen signs in Memphis if he opts out of his Miami deal, but perhaps someone like Kyle Korver could be a fit, if the price is right.
  • In my opinion, Austin Daye's value in the three-way Gay trade came primarily as an expiring contract. He has the potential to be a restricted free agent, but it's hard for me to imagine the Grizzlies making him a qualifying offer. I don't think he'll be back in Memphis.
  • On the other hand, Davis, another piece in that deal, may be in line for a longer-term future with the Grizzlies. After not receiving much playing time under Hollins, I expect he'll see more action under a new coach in 2013/14, and he'll also be extension-eligible this offseason. He's not exactly a prime extension candidate, but I think the Grizzlies will at least take a shot at locking him up to a below-market price.

Cap footnotes:

  1. Greene's and Reed's contracts are fully non-guaranteed. Those deals will become fully guaranteed if Green and Reed aren't waived on or before January 7th, 2014.
  2. Daye will be eligible for a qualifying offer worth $4,135,391.
  3. $1,084,293 is the amount of Leuer's potential qualifying offer. If the Grizzlies don't extend a QO, Leuer's cap hold will be reduced to $884,293.

Storytellers Contracts and Sham Sports were used in the creation of this post.

Mavs Very Likely To Trade First-Rounder

WEDNESDAY, 1:59pm: Asked in a chat which teams might be in play for the Mavs' first-rounder, ESPN.com's Chad Ford says he's heard the Knicks, Cavs, and Thunder connected to the pick. The price for the 13th overall selection, according to Ford, is a 2014 first-round pick or taking Marion in the deal. I'm guessing that 2014 first-rounder would be at least lottery-protected, though that's just my speculation.

Ford adds that some teams believe the Mavs may already have a deal in place, since trade talk out of Dallas has quieted down in recent days.

TUESDAY, 5:33pm: The Mavericks will almost certainly trade their first-round pick in this year's draft to clear cap room to pursue Dwight Howard, reports Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News. The Mavs don't quite have enough space to offer Howard a max deal, so removing the $1.66MM cap hold associated with the 13th overall pick would help clear a little more room.

According to Sefko's source, there's a 0% chance that the player selected 13th overall ends up on Dallas' roster next season. The most likely outcome involves trading the pick, while there's about a 15% chance the Mavs could take a player who could be stashed overseas for a year, meaning he wouldn't count against the team's cap. Sergey Karasev may be the best possibility for that scenario.

Given how aggressively the Mavs seem to be shopping the pick, the club doesn't figure to have a whole lot of leverage in trade talks, but it doesn't sound like the asking price is too high either. Even if other teams are reluctant to help out a potential suitor for Howard, it'll be hard for a rebuilding franchise to pass up on a lottery pick if it comes cheap.

Previous reports have suggested the Mavs would like to package Shawn Marion and his $9MM+ salary with their first-rounder, but it sounds as if Dallas is a good bet to move the pick with or without Marion attached to it.