The NBA fined the Clippers $250K for violating the league’s rules against circumventing the salary cap in their pitch to DeAndre Jordan last month. The Clippers presented Jordan with a potential third-party endorsement opportunity during their meeting with him on July 2nd. That was before Jordan gave his commitment to the Mavericks, one that came undone when he later expressed second thoughts to the Clippers, who convinced him to re-sign.
The league’s investigation concluded that the violation didn’t influence Jordan’s ultimate decision to return to the team. However, the NBA is imposing the fine anyway, since rules prohibit teams from arranging compensation for players outside of the salary set forth via the contractual terms allowed under the collective bargaining agreement. Here’s the rest of the happenings from the week that was…
Free Agent Signings
- The Heat signed unrestricted free agent center Keith Benson to a camp deal.
- The Wizards agreed to a training camp deal with Toure’ Murry.
- The Suns agreed to training camp deals with Henry Sims and Cory Jefferson.
- The Lakers signed guard Michael Frazier.
- The Jazz signed Jeff Withey.
- The Suns signed Deonte Burton to a camp deal.
- The Jazz signed unrestricted free agent forward J.J. O’Brien.
- The Thunder agreed to a training camp deal with Talib Zanna.
- The Kings agreed to a deal with shooting guard Marshall Henderson.
You can stay up to date on all of the signings with Hoops Rumors’ free agent tracker.
- The Hornets signed forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a four-year, $52MM contract extension.
- Former NBA guard Gal Mekel signed a deal with the Serbian team Crvena Zvezda.
- The Heat and the D-League’s Sioux Falls Skyforce formally extended their one-to-one affiliation deal.
- Point guard Marcelo Huertas, who had planned a jump to the NBA this season and had been expected to draw significant interest, has instead signed with Galatasaray of Turkey.
- The Lakers promoted Ryan West to director of player personnel.
- James Nunnally signed with Sidigas Avellino of the Italian Serie A.
- Jordan Hamilton signed a deal to play overseas for the Russian club Krasny Oktyabr.
- Pacers draft-and-stash prospect Stanko Barac signed with Olimpia Milano of Italy.
- Carlos Boozer is reportedly likely to remain unsigned for the rest of the offseason and instead seek a deal with a playoff contender after the season starts.
- The Suns officially named Chris Jent the head coach of their one-to-one D-League affiliate.
- Luka Mitrovic, the 60th pick in this year’s draft, agreed to an extension with Crvena Zvezda of Serbia that runs through the 2016/17 season.