Suns Sign Elijah Millsap To Multiyear Deal
1:55 PM: Phoenix will sign Millsap to a multiyear contract, according to the team’s website.
12:52 PM: The Suns will sign Elijah Millsap for the rest of the season, tweets Shams Charania of The Vertical.
The 28-year-old shooting guard spent this season with the Northern Arizona Suns in the D-League, averaging 19.8 points per night in 50 games. He has previous NBA experience with the Jazz, spending parts of the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons in Utah. Millsap, the younger brother of the Hawks’ Paul Millsap, played in Israel and the Philippines after being waived in January of 2016.
The Suns have been carrying an open roster spot since the trade deadline, so they won’t have to make a corresponding move to add Millsap.
Cavaliers Waive DeAndre Liggins
Cleveland has waived DeAndre Liggins, according to the team’s website. The Cavs’ roster now sits at 14 players.
If another team claims Liggins off waivers, it would save the Cavs approximately $2.5MM in luxury tax payments, per Bobby Marks of The Vertical (Twitter links). If that happens, each of the 28 teams below the tax line would receive roughly $44K less from the tax distribution than they would if Liggins went unclaimed. Marks notes that each of the 28 franchises is currently slated to receive $552K from the distribution.
The team plans on adding another player, though it hasn’t made a decision on who it will be, Jason Lloyd of The Athletic tweets. They must sign someone by Wednesday for the player to be playoff-eligible.
Liggins played in 61 games this season, starting 19 of them. He saw 12.3 minutes per contest and averaged 2.4 points per game.
Atlantic Notes: Brown, Simmons, Fultz, Oakley
Aside from the mercurial debut by Joel Embiid, the most important thing to happen for the Sixers this season has been the development of young players, Derek Bodner writes on his website. Dario Saric, Robert Covington, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, Richaun Holmes and T.J. McConnell have all seen significant playing time and should be important components of the team going forward. Bodner adds that coach Brett Brown is living up to the reputation that he had as a player development specialist when former GM Sam Hinkie hired him in 2013.
There’s more from the Atlantic Division:
- Brown is dismissing rumors that rookie Ben Simmons has grown two inches during the season, relays Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer. That story apparently started with a comment made by World B. Free on a Cavaliers broadcast last month. “I can feel comfortable saying no, he has not grown to 7 feet,” Brown said. “I wish he had.” The first pick in last year’s draft, Simmons missed the entire season after breaking a bone in his right foot during training camp.
- University of Washington guard Markelle Fultz, a possible top pick in this year’s draft, is visiting Madison Square Garden today to watch the Knicks, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical. New York, which occupies the sixth spot in our latest Reverse Standings, is hoping for some lottery luck to have a chance at Fultz.
- Former Knicks star Charles Oakley will appear in court Tuesday for charges stemming from his February run-in with team owner James Dolan that resulted in his ejection from the arena. Oakley, who is charged with three counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of criminal trespass, told Dan Gelston of The Associated Press that he has no regrets about the incident. “I would have done everything just the same way,” Oakley said. “I didn’t do nothing. I was only in the arena five minutes. I didn’t know you could get in that much trouble in five minutes. I’d take my chances and do the same thing again.”
Doctor Assesses Derrick Rose’s NBA Future
A New York-based knee specialist warns that Derrick Rose‘s style of play will make him vulnerable to injuries for the rest of his career, writes Marc Berman of The New York Post.
Dr. Armin Tehrany of Manhattan Orthopedic Care said the meniscus tear that resulted in Rose’s fourth knee operation was a result of repeated strain, rather than one specific incident. Tehrany identifies the problem as degenerative cartilage that has eroded over nine years in the NBA.
“If I was a betting man I’d say it happens again,’’ he added.
Long-term health will be a concern as the 28-year-old enters the free agent market this summer. Rose managed to play 64 games this season [and 66 a year ago in Chicago], but he has now had two surgeries on each knee and has to be considered a health risk going forward.
“When I watch him and see how he plays, I think it’s because [of] how incredibly explosive he is,’’ Tehrany added. “He drives to the basket so much. The speed that he’s able to move, his explosive style, that puts a lot more pressure on his knees and his body. That could lead to a breakdown. The mind can be much more powerful than the body. What the mind wants to do and what the body can accommodate unfortunately isn’t the same.”
With just two games remaining, it’s possible that Rose’s time with the Knicks is finished. New York will host Toronto today and the Sixers on Wednesday, and coach Jeff Hornacek isn’t sure if Rose will attend either one. He has been rehabbing in Chicago since having surgery on Wednesday.
Rose began doing yoga last year and spent the summer working out with New York Jets trainer Sal Alosi. Before the meniscus tear ended his season, Rose frequently talked about how good his knees felt.
Rose should be able to resume basketball activities in four to six weeks, and barring another mishap will be 100% when training camp opens in the fall. While Tehrany believes he has the ability to get back to an MVP level, the risk of recurring knee problems will always be present.
“He’s quote, unquote an old 28 because he’s been through so many injuries,’’ the doctor said. “You think about LeBron [James], early 30s, and he’s very fortunate genetically. I think actually you can argue [Rose] can get back even faster because unfortunately he’s a veteran at rehab, knows the protocol, understands what he has to do and at 28 doesn’t want to give up right now.’’
Warriors Notes: Durant, Barnes, Green
Kevin Durant showed few effects from a knee injury as he returned to the court Saturday night, according to Janie McCauley of The Associated Press. The former MVP had 16 points, 10 rebounds and six assists and seemed to move fine on his left knee after suffering a Grade 2 MCL sprain that sidelined him for 19 games. Golden State originally feared he would be lost for the season when he the injury occurred February 28th. “I think he looked great. It’s going to be hard for anybody to take off a month and come back and put on a great show,” said teammate Klay Thompson. “It was great to see that first play, him attacking the rim like that.”
There’s more this morning from the Pacific Division:
- Durant’s return solves the Warriors’ depth problem at the wing and makes them clear favorites to win the West, writes Ethan Sherwood Strauss of ESPN.com. Seven Golden State players reached double figures Saturday in a blowout of the Pelicans. Having Durant in the lineup puts the Warriors’ “super team” at full strength heading into the playoffs. “It felt normal again,” Durant said. “I’m a basketball player. I love playing basketball; that’s my favorite thing to do. So to feel like I’m part of the team, to feel like I’m a part of this energy that we have, it feels great.”
- One concern that came out of Saturday’s game was a right ankle sprain suffered by forward Matt Barnes in the second quarter. However, Barnes said he expects to be ready when the playoffs start next weekend, tweets Marc J. Spears of ESPN.com. The 36-year-old signed with the Warriors in early March in the wake of Durant’s injury.
- Draymond Green, one of the favorites to be named Defensive Player of the Year, had an in-depth talk about his defensive philosophy with Tim Kawakami of The San Jose Mercury News. Green has finished second in the balloting for the award the past two seasons.
NBA D-League Assignments/Recalls: 4/8/2017
- The Rockets sent Chinanu Onuaku, Isaiah Taylor and Kyle Wiltjer to their Rio Grande Valley affiliate, posts Calvin Watkins on ESPN Now. The Vipers had a D-League playoff game tonight against Los Angeles.
Southwest Notes: Romo, Cuban, Popovich, Anderson
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is taking some heat for his plan to honor Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo by letting him fill a roster spot for the team’s final home game. Brian T. Smith of The Houston Chronicle calls the proposed move a “pitiful little circus” and says NBA Commissioner Adam Silver should block it. However, Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle told The Dallas Morning News that he is looking forward to hosting Romo, who frequently sits behind the bench at Mavs games.
There’s more tonight from the Southwest Division:
- Cuban offered a solution to the NBA’s problem of star players being rested, relays Eddie Sefko of The Dallas Morning News. Cuban, who attended the board of governors meeting this week, suggests shortening the preseason and setting up the schedule so that teams in nationally televised games have days of rest built in. “It really comes down more to a scheduling issue than anything else, and my contribution was that, when you schedule marquee games for TV, look at the schedule first and don’t put somebody who has been on a long trip, traveled a lot of miles or obviously going to be less than fresh, because when we schedule those games, it’s on us,” Cuban said. “I remember [years ago] we were on TNT on the fourth game in five nights. Who’s dumb enough to schedule that? That’s just stupid.”
- Spurs coach Gregg Popovich won’t rest anyone during the team’s final two games, tweets Jabari Young of The San Antonio Express-News. Popovich made the comments after tonight’s loss to the Clippers, adding that he was upset that his team wasn’t physical enough.
- Rockets forward Ryan Anderson, who returned to the court Friday following an ankle injury, plans to use the rest of the season to get in rhythm for the playoffs, writes Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle. In his first season with Houston after signing as a free agent last summer, Anderson is averaging 13.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in 69 games. “It’s real important to be playing at your highest level coming into the playoffs,” he said. “This is a year we can do something special. I want to be prepared.”
New York Notes: Porzingis, Atkinson, Dinwiddie
Kristaps Porzingis says Achilles tendinitis is responsible for a disappointing season, according to Marc Berman of The New York Post. The second-year big man began having Achilles pain at Christmas, and it has affected him ever since. “I was out there playing at a high level,” he said. “Then the injuries, little things [that] happened got me out of my rhythm. Then it was kind of on and off, some games good, some games not so good. I was trying to find that rhythm for a long time. Then the second part of the season, it was just a big fight for us and mentally tough. I think I grew from this season.’’
Porzingis has missed three straight games with back spasms and may not play again this season. Coach Jeff Hornacek said this week that he plans to be “careful” with how he uses the 21-year-old. If his season is over, Porzingis will finish with 66 games, six fewer than last year, while averaging 18.1 points and 7.2 rebounds per night.
There’s more tonight out of New York:
- Porzingis should be prepared to inherit Carmelo Anthony‘s role as go-to guy next season, writes Al Iannazzone of Newsday. The Knicks are expected to make a concerted effort to trade Anthony this summer, and Porzingis seems like his logical successor. Iannazzone notes that Anthony and Derrick Rose dominated the ball this season, but both could be gone this summer.
- First-year coach Kenny Atkinson offered gratitude and a promise to Nets fans after the team concluded its home schedule today, relays Brian Lewis of The New York Post. Brooklyn picked up its 20th win by rallying to play spoiler against the Bulls. “The crowd’s been outstanding considering we haven’t had a ton of wins and not fighting for a playoff spot,’’ Atkinson said. “The support’s been great. We understand we have to take another step next year, and they should demand that. That’s on us to get better this offseason.”
- One of the players who helped pin the costly loss on the Bulls was point guard Spencer Dinwiddie, who was waived by Chicago in the preseason, notes Vincent Goodwill of CSNChicago. Dinwiddie scored Brooklyn’s final seven points of the game as the Nets erased a nine-point fourth quarter deficit. Dinwiddie came to the Bulls in a trade with the Pistons last June, but he was waived in July, then re-signed and was cut again in October. He signed with the Nets in early December.
Central Notes: Pistons, Ellenson, Wade, Irving
Charlotte’s loss to the Celtics tonight officially extinguished the Pistons‘ faint playoff hopes, writes Aaron McMann of MLive. Detroit entered the night with the possibility of sneaking into the postseason through a multi-team tiebreaker, but both the Pistons and Hornets had to win all their remaining games for that to happen. Coach Stan Van Gundy has been realistic about the team’s fate for some time now, McMann notes, deciding two weeks ago to shut down point guard Reggie Jackson for the season and giving more time to the team’s younger players. Detroit faces several important decisions this offseason, with the most pressing one involving restricted free agent Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.
There’s more news from Detroit and throughout the Central Division:
- Pistons rookie big man Henry Ellenson posted a double-double Friday night with 15 points and 11 rebounds in his first start of the season, notes Keith Langlois of NBA.com. Van Gundy recently said that Ellenson and Boban Marjanovic “can be real contributors next year,” especially with backup center Aron Baynes expected to sign elsewhere in free agency. Friday’s game was just the 16th with the Pistons for Ellenson, who has spent most of the year in the D-League. “He can put it on the floor. He made the one good baseline drive and dish to Boban. He’s got offensive skill,” Van Gundy said. “The guy’s a good player. He’s like a lot of our guys right now. He’s got to shoot the ball more consistently. But he’s a talented offensive guy.”
- Dwyane Wade gave the Bulls a bit of good news in an otherwise horrible afternoon in Brooklyn, relays Nick Friedell of ESPN.com. Chicago dropped a key game in its pursuit of a playoff spot, but Wade was able to get through the contest with no pain in his right elbow. It was his first game since fracturing the elbow March 15th. “Elbow felt cool,” Wade said. “Just my legs, trying to get my legs back. And my wind back. But my elbow felt great.”
- The Cavaliers should shut down Kyrie Irving for the rest of the regular season after his latest knee flare-up, contends Marla Ridenour of The Akron Beacon Journal. The star point guard reported pain Thursday in his left knee, which was surgically repaired after a kneecap fracture in the 2015 NBA Finals. Irving sat out a game last month with tightness in the knee, and Ridenour argues that the Cavs shouldn’t risk his health in pursuit of the top seed in the East. “I’m doing everything possible to take care of my body, I’ve got a clear conscience with that,” Irving said. “But also understand that sometimes it’s gonna hurt. And I gotta be able to deal with it.”
Heat Notes: Cap Space, Tyler Johnson, James, Wade
The Heat are looking at a potential salary crunch in the 2018 offseason, writes Ira Winderman of The Sun-Sentinel. The NBA informed teams this week that the salary cap is projected to rise to $101MM next season, an increase of about $7MM, but will only go up to $102MM the following year. That’s a concern to the Heat because of the offer sheet they matched for Tyler Johnson last summer. Johnson’s cap hit will increase from $5.9MM next season to $19.2MM in 2018/19 and 2019/20. That will not only squeeze the Heat’s cap room next summer, it may affect their strategy for this offseason.
Miami expects to have roughly $36MM available once Chris Bosh‘s $25.3MM salary is removed for medical reasons. The Heat have $49.4MM committed to four players for next season, and Josh McRoberts has a $6MM player option that could push that figure to $55.4MM. In addition, there are team options that will probably be exercised on Josh Richardson, Rodney McGruder and Okaro White, which would increase the total salary to $59.5MM. Four cap holds will add $3.3MM, and possibly more depending on where the team drafts. Miami also has a $6.3MM team option on Wayne Ellington that could cut into cap space, as could the desire to keep free agents Dion Waiters and James Johnson.
