Isaiah Thomas Expects To Be Ready For Camp
Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas is confident that he will be fully healed from a hip injury in time for training camp, writes Stephen Hewitt of The Boston Herald.
Thomas aggravated a hip strain in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals and was forced to sit out the rest of the playoffs. He chose to let the injury heal without surgery and recently began workouts again after more than two months of rest.
“The hip is great,” Thomas said Saturday as he conducted a youth basketball clinic in Boston. “It’s a real slow rehab process, but it’s getting better and that’s what it’s all about.”
Thomas’ health is important not only to the Celtics’ title chances, but also to his financial future. He is headed toward free agency next summer and will be looking to cash in after making less than $6.3MM for the upcoming season. He has been open in the media about his desire for a maximum contract.
“I deserve it,” he said. “I put the work in, and you can put me down against any guard in the NBA. … My numbers are up there with the best players in the world, and my team is winning. So, I mean, you have to reward that. I’m just going to keep working though. My time is gonna come. I have a lot of faith in God, and I just have to keep working to get better.”
“I don’t really want to comment on that, I don’t know what’s going on over there,” Thomas said. “I know just as much as everybody else knows. If [Irving] leaves, he leaves. If he doesn’t, then we know how good of a team they are, and we know how good of a player he is.”
Nets Notes: Offseason Trades, Anderson, Crabbe
The Nets’ moves this offseason may form the foundation of the team for several years to come, writes Brian Lewis of The New York Post. Brooklyn has taken advantage of its cap space to pick up assets while absorbing salary, adding D’Angelo Russell, Allen Crabbe and DeMarre Carroll, among others.
GM Sean Marks has been assessing the team since the flurry of deals and indicated that he may be done with major moves. “We’re continuously going to be trying to have our finger on the pulse of the league and see what happens,’’ he said. “I think we’ll take a little bit of a deep breath and just see what shakes out here. But I don’t know. Who knows what’s going to happen throughout the year? I think if you’d asked us a month ago, we couldn’t have predicted all the things that may have happened, not just here but around the league. It’s something that we’ve just got to stay fluid and be ready to react.”
The Nets could use more size in the frontcourt, where newly acquired Timofey Mozgov and rookie Jarrett Allen are the only players taller than 6’8″. They still have interest in former Celtic and Raptor Jared Sullinger, who earned all-tournament honors at The Basketball Tournament this week.
There’s more tonight out of Brooklyn:
- The Nets are no longer in contention to sign Alan Anderson, Lewis adds in the same story. Anderson’s agent, Chris Luchey, confirms that he talked to Brooklyn’s front office shortly after free agency began, but after all the Nets’ moves, they are no longer a possible destination. Lewis adds that the Knicks are also out of the running.
- Crabbe will provide shooting help, but the team is counting on him to do much more, Lewis relays in a separate story. Crabbe was the NBA’s second best 3-point shooter last year, connecting at a .444 rate beyond the arc, while the Nets ranked fifth from the bottom in that category. “We sat with Allen [and said]: ‘Look, we think we can help your game. We think we can take it to another level. Let’s not just be a shooter,’” Marks said. “And he’s excited about that. He’s got a chip on his shoulder, and he wants to take his game to another level, all-around facets. It’s not just shooting. It’s defense. It’s everything.”
- Brooklyn needs to find another frontcourt player who can shoot the 3-ball, writes Anthony Puccio of NetsDaily. The Nets have about $5.1MM in cap space they could use to find a shooter who fits coach Kenny Atkinson’s system better than the players they have now.
Community Shootaround: Coaches/Executives
The Clippers have become the latest organization to decide that coaching and running the front office is too much for one man.
The team announced Friday that Lawrence Frank has assumed the role of president of basketball operations, leaving Doc Rivers as a full-time coach. Rivers has held both positions since coming to L.A. in 2013.
Clippers owner Steve Ballmer announced the move, explaining that the requirements of each job are too numerous for them to be combined effectively.
“I’ve owned the team for three years now, and I really better understand what an owner’s responsibility is — and it turns out that running a franchise and coaching are two enormous and different jobs,” Ballmer said. “The notion that one person can fairly focus on them and give them all the attention they need isn’t the case.”
Rivers’ input will still be sought on personnel matters, Ballmer said, adding that he believes “healthy discussion and debate” is good for the franchise.
The number of combined coach/executives is dwindling, with the Hawks making a similar move with Mike Budenholzer in May. Travis Schlenk was hired as the GM in Atlanta and is overseeing personnel decisions while Budenholzer concentrates on coaching.
There are now just three NBA coaches who also hold the title of president of basketball operations: Gregg Popovich in San Antonio, Stan Van Gundy in Detroit and Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota. Popovich, with help from ace GM R.C. Buford, has built a perennial contender with the Spurs. Van Gundy has seen moderate success with the Pistons, while Thibodeau rebuilt the Timberwolves this summer after posting a 31-51 record in his first season at the helm.
That brings us to tonight’s question: Are teams wise to separate front office responsibilities from coaching duties, or do you believe there are people who can handle both jobs? Please leave your comments below. We look forward to what you have to say.
Family Issues Push Julyan Stone Toward Hornets
The poor health of his father is motivating Julyan Stone to try to get out of his Italian contract and sign with the Hornets, according to Rick Bonnell of The Charlotte Observer.
The 28-year-old point guard has a two-year offer from Charlotte that he would like to accept, Emiliano Carchia of Sportando reported Friday. Stone’s primary motivation is the condition of his father, who is in the United States in a coronary care unit with severe lung, heart and kidney ailments.
Stone has approached his Reyer Venezia club, based in Venice, about getting out of his current deal, but hasn’t made any progress. He posted a message on his Instagram account Friday explaining his father’s dire condition and claiming that Reyer Venezia officials won’t return his repeated messages. Stone would like to return to the NBA to be closer to his father and be in a better position to pay for his care.
Signing Stone would also benefit the Hornets, who are looking for an inexpensive backup to Kemba Walker and Michael Carter-Williams. Charlotte is hovering near the luxury tax line with about $119MM committed in salary for next season, so any roster additions will have to be made at minimal cost.
The Hornets waived Briante Weber in late July before his $1.5MM contract became guaranteed, and they recently held a workout for prospective point guards.
The 6’6″ Stone has previous NBA experience, playing 26 games for the Nuggets over two seasons and 21 with the Raptors in 2013/14.
Knicks May Try To Re-Sign Marshall Plumlee
The Knicks may be interested in bringing back center Marshall Plumlee, posts Ian Begley on ESPN Now.
Several teams have contacted Plumlee, according to Begley, who doesn’t identify any of the others. New York waived Plumlee last month to help create enough cap room to sign former Hawks shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr.
Plumlee is expected to choose his next team soon, Begley adds. At the time he was waived, Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek said he would like the chance to re-sign the 7-footer, who Begley notes “impressed coaches with his development and work ethic” during his time with the organization.
Undrafted out of Duke in 2016, Plumlee signed with the Knicks in July of that year. He played most of last season with New York’s Westchester G League affiliate, but also appeared in 21 games with the Knicks, averaging 1.9 points and 2.4 rebounds in about 8 minutes per night.
Hoops Rumors Originals: 7/29/17 – 8/5/17
Every week, the Hoops Rumors writing team compiles original content to complement our news feed. Here are some of our favorite segments and features from the past seven days:
- Luke Adams checked in on unsigned 2017 draft picks.
- Adams also delved into how teams are using 2017/18 mid-level exceptions.
- Which NBA players have trade kickers in 2017/18?
- And which NBA players can veto trades in 2017/18?
- Who is the longest-tenured player on each NBA team?
- Hoops Rumors unveiled a new series this week, “Five Available Free Agents”:
- Arthur Hill answered your Kyrie Irving questions in his weekly Sunday mailbag. Submit your questions via Twitter (@HoopsRumors) or by sending us an email (hoopsrumorsmailbag@gmail.com).
- Check out our free Trade Rumors app available for IOS and Android.
- Here are the questions we asked you in our Community Shootaround discussions and polls this week:
- What chance do the Pelicans stand of making the playoffs?
- When will Irving and Carmelo Anthony be traded?
- What should the Timberwolves do with Andrew Wiggins?
- Which Atlantic division team has had the best offseason?
- Which Northwest division team has had the best offseason?
- How should the 76ers handle a potential Joel Embiid contract extension?
- Which rookie point guard will have the best season?
Poll: Best Rookie Point Guard Season
The 2017 NBA Draft was loaded with talented point guards, including first overall pick Markelle Fultz, No. 2 selection Lonzo Ball, and fellow lottery picks De’Aaron Fox, Frank Ntilikina, and Dennis Smith Jr.
Fultz showed flashes of brilliance in the NBA Summer League amid overall inconsistent play before he ultimately injured his ankle in his Las Vegas debut. The 76ers guard was promptly shut down for the remainder of Summer League. This season, the rookie figures to be a regular fixture in the Philadelphia backcourt.
After dominating his freshman season at UCLA, Ball won Las Vegas Summer League MVP honors, racking up assists (9.3 APG) and steals (2.5 SPG), as well as points and rebounds. Although it is not clear whether Ball will start for the Lakers right out of the gate, he will certainly be the beneficiary of a hearty amount of playing time.
Fox is also expected to see his fair share of action this season, but averaged just 21.3 minutes per game in four Las Vegas Summer League games. Like Fultz and Ball, Fox exhibited tantalizing athleticism. The Kentucky product averaged a solid 11.8 points per contest and 3.0 assists. Fox’s 2.3 SPG were extremely impressive.
The Knicks drafted Ntilikina eighth overall because of his speed and agility. Last season, the point guard averaged just 15.5 minutes per game for Strasbourg in France but displayed tremendous promise and improved noticeably as a shooter. With D. Rose out of town, it appears as if the keys to Madison Square Garden are about to be Frank’s.
In six games in Las Vegas, Smith averaged 17.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, and 4.2 APG, shooting 45.7% from the floor and electrifying with the occasional powerful dunk. The Mavericks prospect also tallied 2.2 SPG.
This brings us to today’s poll: Which of these point guards will have the best rookie season in 2017/18?
Which rookie point guard will have the best season?
-
Dennis Smith Jr. 34% (1,035)
-
Lonzo Ball 28% (864)
-
Markelle Fultz 20% (599)
-
De'Aaron Fox 14% (410)
-
Frank Ntilikina 4% (125)
Total votes: 3,033
Five Key Stories: 7/29/17 – 8/5/17
Here are some of the most noteworthy stories from the past week at Hoops Rumors:
Lawrence Frank replaced Doc Rivers as the Clippers’ president of basketball operations. Although Rivers will continue to have a “strong voice” in personnel and basketball matters, and will work closely with Frank, he’ll no longer have the title of president of basketball operations, and will instead focus primarily on coaching. With Rivers stripped of his president title, only Gregg Popovich, Stan Van Gundy, and Tom Thibodeau hold dual roles as head coach and president of basketball ops for their respective clubs.
The Kings have hired Brandon Williams to be their new assistant GM. Sacramento’s new hire most recently served as the Sixers VP of Basketball Administration and GM of Delaware 87ers, the team’s G-League affiliate. Williams previously worked within the NBA league office as Director of Player Development and Associate Vice President of Basketball Operations.
The Nuggets have named Calvin Booth the team’s assistant general manager. Booth, Denver’s new assistant GM, had worked in the Timberwolves front office for the past four seasons and played for seven teams during his 10-year NBA career. Also this offseason, Denver promoted Arturas Karnisovas to general manager and Tim Connelly to team president.
The Timberwolves are working on signing Andrew Wiggins to a five-year, maximum salary extension. These contract talks, however, are in the early stages. Owner Glen Taylor also added that the team plans to extend Karl-Anthony Towns next offseason. Based on projections, a five-year, max extension for Wiggins would net him slightly under $148MM. The Wolves are not offering Wiggins in any potential trades for Kyrie Irving.
Here is the latest from Steve Kyler on the status of potential Kyrie Irving and Carmelo Anthony trades. The Cavaliers are not operating with a sense of urgency and are rather in “fact-finding mode” at this point. Also on the Irving front, the Wolves and Suns have a strong chance to land the disgruntled point guard, but likely only if they relent on including Wiggins and Josh Jackson or Devin Booker, respectively. As for Anthony, the Rockets will likely have to sweeten their offer for the Knicks to agree to a deal. If not, the Knicks appear willing to bring Melo to training camp.
Ten More Stories
- After NBA owners unanimously approved the Pistons‘ move to downtown Detroit, the team will begin playing at Little Caesars Arena in 2017/18.
- Pop star Beyonce Knowles-Carter is reportedly considering buying stake in her hometown Rockets.
- Speaking of Clutch City, former Rockets guard confirms that he requested to be traded before Houston dealt the point guard to the Clippers.
- Recently-signed 76ers guard J.J. Redick revealed that he also had offers from the Rockets and Nets.
- Executives around the NBA are keeping a close eye on DeMarcus Cousins and the Pelicans this season to determine whether he is worthy of pursuing in free agency next offseason.
- The Heat are expected to offer a contract extension to wing Josh Richardson.
- Clippers forward Danilo Gallinari suffered a fractured thumb punching an opponent in an exhibition game with the Italian national team, but he is expected to be ready for Clippers training camp.
- The Hawks have agreed to sign Luke Babbitt to a one-year, $1.9MM deal.
- The Pelicans have signed Ian Clark to a one-year, $1.6MM deal.
- Free agent guard Gerald Henderson may miss the season with a hip injury.
Redick Turned Down Rockets, Nets Before Sixers Deal
Sharpshooter J.J. Redick was a highly sought after free agent offseason, garnering interest from several teams before signing a one-year, $23MM deal with the Sixers. Before signing that deal, however, Redick was considering a four-year deal from the Rockets before the length of the deal was shortened.
Speaking to Alex Kennedy of The HoopsHype Podcast, Redick revealed that Rockets ownership — possibly preoccupied with several other ongoing negotiations — altered their initial offer to the 33-year-old guard.
“They offered four [years] and then they went three. Daryl [Morey] always has a million things going on, like in A Beautiful Mind with all of the stuff written on the chalkboard,” Redick said (via HoopsHype). “I’m sure he had four or five deals out there [he was working on]. The day before free agency, I thought it was a four-year deal. Chris Paul and I talked for about 30 minutes the night before free agency started. I wanted to go there.”
However, a deal with Houston never materialized and while he also fielded a “respectable” multi-year deal from the Nets, Redick ended up joining a young Sixers team which features the first overall picks from the last two NBA drafts (Markelle Fultz and Ben Simmons) and a hopefully healthy Joel Embiid.
After four productive seasons as the starting shooting guard for the Clippers, Redick will now provide a needed veteran presence with postseason and NBA Finals experience for Philadelphia. While the prospect of teaming with former Clippers teammate Paul and James Harden in Houston was enticing, Redick noted that playing for a Morey-led franchise may have come with more uncertainty than championship guarantees.
“[It didn’t work out] – some of it was numbers and some of it was other factors like relocating the family and – I hate to say this – but you never know with Daryl and how he operates,” Redick said. “A three-year deal could really be a six-month deal if you get dealt at the trade deadline for a superstar as part of a package of six.”
L.A. Notes: Rivers, Clippers, Maggette, Lakers
After Friday’s announcement that Doc Rivers will surrender his front office role to solely focus on coaching, it was the crescendo to a tumultuous dual role for the NBA champion coach, Bill Oram of The Orange County Register writes.
Rivers, for four seasons, was tasked with both assembling a quality roster and then leading it to success on the court. As Oram writes, despite winning 50+ games each year with Rivers at the helm, the Clippers failed to advance past the first round of the playoffs. So, while Rivers is often viewed as one of the NBA’s elite head coaches, his career in the front office is “spotty,” Oram adds.
“Given final say on personnel moves, something Rivers coveted and chased all the way across the country to L.A., the career coach struggled annually to find the right mix of role players,” Oram writes about the man who led the 2007/08 Celtics to the NBA championship.
Despite the controversy that came with it, Rivers’ acquisition of his son, Austin Rivers, was a good move that yielded a quality role player for a team filled with superstar talent. Besides that, the obvious turmoil within the team became obvious, highlight by notable departures of J.J. Redick and Chris Paul this offseason. While Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan remain with the team, the direction of the Clippers with Lawrence Frank assuming Rivers’ former role and it will take a while before a prognosis on that move is available.
Read more about news surrounding the Los Angeles teams:
- Despite his role with the organization being restructured, Rivers will still make every penny of the five-year, $50MM deal he signed with the team in 2014, tweets Sam Amick of USA Today.
- Los Angeles Times’ Brad Turner tweets that the Clippers interviewed Mark Hughes and Shareef Abdur-Rahim for front office roles last week.
- In a separate tweet, Turner reports that Corey Maggette, Lester Conner, and Mo Peterson interviewed for the role of director of player development and special assistant to Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka. Maggette, however, has withdrawn his name from consideration, per Turner (via Twitter).
