NBA G League Assignments/Recalls: 2/14/18
Here are Wednesday’s G League assignments and recalls from around the NBA.
- The Grizzlies recalled forward Brice Johnson from the Memphis Hustle, the team’s NBA G League affiliate. Johnson, who was acquired in a trade from Detroit on Feb. 8, has seen action in nine NBA games this season, but has yet to appear in a contest for the Grizzlies.
- The Jazz have recalled center Tony Bradley and guard Naz Mitrou-Long from its G League affiliate, the Salt Lake City Stars. Bradley has appeared in eight games for the Jazz so far this season, recording a career-high four points and three rebounds at Oklahoma City on Dec. 20. Mitrou-Long, who was just signed to a 10-day contract less than a week ago, has appeared in 33 games for the Stars this season, averaging 16.8 points per game.
Knicks’ Ron Baker Out For Season
FEBRUARY 14: Following a successful surgery, Baker will be in a sling for 4-6 weeks as his shoulder heals, tweets Ian Begley of ESPN. The full recovery time is about four months, which means he should be fully healthy come June, as initially reported by Marc Berman of the New York Post.
FEBRUARY 5: Knicks guard Ron Baker is scheduled to undergo an arthroscopic shoulder stabilization procedure on his right shoulder this Wednesday, the team announced today (Twitter link). The surgery will sideline Baker for the remainder of the 2017/18 season, according to the Knicks.
The Knicks had announced last week that a dislocated right shoulder and torn labrum would keep Baker out of action indefinitely, but initially avoided ruling him out for the entire season. Now that he’s set to go under the knife, the second-year guard will see his season come to an end, but he should be healthy for training camp — the Knicks said today that there will be a four-to-six month recovery period for Baker.
After being rewarded for a promising rookie season with a two-year, $8.9MM contract in the offseason, Baker struggled this year. In 29 games for the Knicks, the former Wichita State standout has averaged just 2.4 PPG and 1.6 APG, with a shooting line of .339/.333/.769.
While Baker’s $4.54MM salary for 2018/19 isn’t yet guaranteed, he has long been considered a lock to exercise his player option, and this season-ending injury should only further cement that decision.
Atlantic Notes: Monroe, Nets, Porzingis, Injuries
Despite having an opportunity for more minutes and a chance to play in his hometown of New Orleans, newly-signed Celtics big man Greg Monroe chose Boston. Why? Because he wants to compete for a title, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of NBC Sports Boston.
Although still only 27 years old, Monroe, who got his first taste of the playoffs last season with Milwaukee – and averaged 13.2 points and 7.3 rebounds per game – is at a point in his career where being on a club with the potential to go deep into the playoffs is of the utmost importance. “It’s exciting,” Monroe said of being in the playoffs. “Last year I was able to play in it. The atmosphere was great. So, I’m looking forward to getting back there again.”
Here’s more from around the Atlantic Division:
- The Nets have lost six games in a row and nine of their last 10, and are now only one game ahead of the last-place Hawks, who are tied with Dallas and Phoenix for the worst record in the NBA. Despite the losing streak, head coach Kenny Atkinson is working hard to build a winning culture in the locker room, writes Brian Lewis of the New York Post.
- According to Al Iannazzone of Newsday, Knicks All-Star Kristaps Porzingis is ready to begin his rehab after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. “I’m attacking my rehab right away,” Porzingis wrote. “I truly believe that with consistent hard work, patience and positive attitude I’ll come back stronger, better, and sharper than ever.” And Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek took the enthusiasm one step further, telling Marc Berman of the New York Post that Porzingis will ultimately “be glad he went through it.”
- Sixers role players Justin Anderson and Furkan Korkmaz have each suffered injuries this season, and Derek Bodner of The Athletic has updates on both players. Anderson, who suffered a high ankle sprain in Monday’s win over New York, will be out at least 7 to 10 days before being reevaluated, and Korkmaz, who has been out since December with a Lisfranc injury, has been cleared for controlled basketball activities.
Rockets Sign Joe Johnson
The Rockets have officially signed veteran forward Joe Johnson, the team announced today in a press release. In a corresponding transaction, the club waived Troy Williams, a move that appeared to be the subject of some debate in Houston’s front office.
There were reports prior to the trade deadline that Johnson, who was in the final season of a two-year contract, wanted out of Utah, and the Jazz accommodated that desire, sending him to the Kings in a deadline-day deal. Shortly after he landed with Sacramento, Johnson negotiated a buyout, reportedly agreeing to surrender $1MM of his $10.5MM salary.
The veteran will earn a little less than that in Houston, signing a minimum salary deal that will pay him about $750K, with the Rockets taking on a $474K cap hit. However, Johnson’s new team should give him a legit chance to contend for a title.
Johnson struggled this year in Utah, averaging a career-worst 7.3 PPG to go along with 3.3 RPG and a shooting line of .420/.274/.833. Still, his career résumé and his extensive postseason experience made him an intriguing low-cost target for playoff teams.
Johnson is expected to be active on Wednesday night against the Kings, technically his previous team. Johnson seems unlikely to be a difference-maker in that game, so Houston could have waited until after the All-Star break to finalize his deal, but that would have cost him over $100K in salary. Considering the Warriors, Celtics, and Thunder were also believed to be in the running for Johnson, the Rockets were likely happy to guarantee the 36-year-old that extra money by getting their deal done right away.
Rockets Waive Troy Williams
4:03pm: The Rockets have officially placed Williams on waivers, Charania confirms (via Twitter).
3:34pm: With Joe Johnson‘s signing imminent, the Rockets need to waive a player to open up a roster spot. According to Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle, that means the club’s on-again, off-again plans to release Troy Williams are once again back on.
Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports reported on Tuesday morning that the Rockets intended to waive Williams to create the roster spot necessary to sign Johnson. Several hours later, however, Charania indicated that Houston’s plans had changed, and the team was keeping Williams as it continued to work through that roster decision.
Having debated that decision, the Rockets have now apparently returned to their original conclusion. Feigen reports that the team will finalize Johnson’s signing today, making him available for tonight’s game against the Kings. That means that Williams will have to be cut today as well, so his apparent second life in Houston lasted just 24 hours.
Williams, 23, began his NBA career with the Grizzlies last season before being waived a little over a year ago. The former Hoosier finished the 2016/17 campaign with the Rockets, then signed a new three-year contract with Houston during the offseason. However, only the first year of that deal was fully guaranteed, which made him a candidate to be cut this week when the team needed to open up a spot on its roster.
In 34 total NBA games, Williams has averaged 5.6 PPG and 2.1 RPG. He’s expected to receive interest as a free agent, according to Charania. If Williams goes unclaimed on waivers, Houston would still owe him the rest of his minimum salary for this season, along with about $614K in guaranteed money for 2018/19, according to Basketball Insiders’ data. The Rockets would have the option of spreading that ’18/19 cap charge across three seasons.
Assuming the Rockets finalize Williams’ release, it should mean that the roster spots for players like Chinanu Onuaku, Gerald Green, and Tarik Black are safe.
Patrick McCaw Out Four Weeks With Wrist Injury
Warriors guard Patrick McCaw will be sidelined for approximately the next four weeks, according to ESPN’s Chris Haynes, who reports (via Twitter) that McCaw has suffered a small fracture in his left wrist. Mark Medina of The San Jose Mercury News confirms McCaw has a non-displaced fracture, tweeting that the second-year guard will wear a cast for about 10 days.
McCaw, the 38th overall pick in the 2016 draft, had a promising rookie season for Golden State and was viewed by the team as a potential building block for the bench heading into 2017/18. The 22-year-old has failed to take a step forward this season though, averaging 3.7 PPG with a .440/.250/.720 shooting line in 51 games (15.6 MPG).
Recently, McCaw has spent some time with the Santa Cruz Warriors, Golden State’s G League affiliate, to get a little extra playing time and to work on his outside shot. However, he has been bitten the injury bug as of late — in addition to the left wrist injury that will keep him off the court for the next month, McCaw was also dealing with a sprained right wrist.
McCaw’s absence may mean increased minutes for the likes of Nick Young, Shaun Livingston, and Omri Casspi. The Warriors also figure to keep an eye on the buyout market in the coming weeks, as they consider adding another wing to their roster for the stretch run.
Al Jefferson: Pacers Can ‘Do Something Special’
Al Jefferson‘s second season with the Pacers reminds him of his first season with the now-defunct Bobcats four years ago. Neither team was expected to be in playoff contention, but 57 games into the 2017/18 campaign, the 32-25 Pacers – currently in sixth place in the Eastern Conference — are on track for the postseason.
“Yeah man, it reminds me of my first year in Charlotte during the 2013/14 season,” Jefferson said to Hoops Rumors in an exclusive interview before Wednesday’s first-half finale against the Nets. “No one counted us, nobody thought we would be good, and nobody thought we would be a playoff team. We became a playoff team and did well.”
The Bobcats won just 28 total games in the two years before Jefferson signed a three-year, $40.5MM pact with Charlotte. Conversely, the Pacers began their post-Paul George era with reduced expectations and unanswered questions. Would Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis be a sufficient return for George? Can a team without an established star compete in the East? Could young players like Myles Turner take a step forward?
So far, the answer has been yes across the board.
Jefferson has 14 years in the NBA and five trips to the postseason to his credit. This season, the 33-year-old has accepted the role of reserve center and mentor. He has appeared in just 28 games, averaging 6.5 PPG and 3.8 RPG in 13.6 minutes per game – all career-lows.
The Pacers reportedly explored several trades at the deadline and Jefferson’s name was floated in discussions. Ultimately, the organization stood pat as the deadline passed. Jefferson and other Pacers players were happy that ownership allowed the current group to continue its playoff push.
“People counted us out from the beginning and nobody thought we would be where we are now,” Jefferson said. “We have a great group of guys that plays hard, that plays together, and wants to win, and nobody cares about anything else but winning.”
Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard shared the sentiment.
“They feel like they are overachieving and had a little bit of a chip on their shoulder,” Pritchard told reporters, including The Indianapolis Star’s Jim Ayello on Sunday. “They wanted to have the opportunity to finish this out and try to get into the playoffs. That carried a lot of weight with me.”
At the All-Star Game this weekend, the Pacers will be represented by Oladipo, who is just the second Pacer not named Paul George to make the team since 2011. Indiana has also played well against the NBA’s upper echelon, with wins over the Celtics, Spurs, and Cavaliers to the club’s credit.
It will be a challenge to maintain their first-half level of play but Jefferson maintains the same confidence in the Pacers that Pritchard had when he decided to keep the band together.
“I think when you’ve got guys like that and a great coaching mindset like the coaching staff we’ve got, I think we could do something very special,” Jefferson said. “I’m a believer in taking it one game at a time and seeing how far you can go.”
Hoops Rumors Glossary: Buyouts
Once the NBA trade deadline passes, the league’s buyout season begins. And as a result of the decision to move this season’s trade deadline up by two weeks, the 2018 buyout period will last longer than usual. So what exactly are buyouts, and how do they work? Today’s Hoops Rumors glossary entry will examine those questions. Let’s dive in…
What is a buyout?
While the term “buyout” is often applied colloquially when any veteran is waived after the trade deadline, it applies specifically to a player who gives up a portion of his salary to accommodate his release. Rather than waiving a player outright, a team will negotiate the terms of the player’s release. Then, once the player clears waivers, his guaranteed salary with his previous team will be reduced or eliminated altogether.
So far this season, we’ve seen players like Greg Monroe, Joe Johnson, Brandan Wright, and Marco Belinelli agree to buyouts. Those players reportedly surrendered between $300K and $1.5MM in salary to their respective teams in order to reach free agency and sign with a new team closer to contention.
Elfrid Payton Talks Trade, Suns, Future
The Cavaliers’ series of deadline-day trades dominated headlines last Thursday, overshadowing one of the most interesting moves of the day, as the Suns’ acquired Elfrid Payton from the Magic in exchange for a second-round pick.
With Payton’s restricted free agency around the corner, Orlando’s decision to send the 23-year-old to Phoenix signaled that the Magic didn’t view him as part of their future. Still, it was somewhat surprising to see the former 10th overall pick traded straight up for a lone second-round selection.
Speaking to Alex Kennedy of HoopsHype, Payton shared several thoughts on how the trade went down, how he feels about being the newest member of the Suns, and what he thinks his future may hold. The Q&A is worth checking out in full, but we’ll relay some of Payton’s most interesting answers in the space below…
On whether he felt disrespected by being traded for a mere second-round pick:
“A little bit. I think a lot of other people were more upset about it than I was, though. Others took it to heart more than I did, but that’s just because of the type of person I am. I’m pretty nonchalant and I don’t really get worked up, so it wasn’t really that big of a deal to me. I’ve always felt underrated and felt like I have to prove myself. I’m the kind of player who feels like you have to prove yourself every single night – no matter what you’ve done or who you are – because in this league everyone is thinking, ‘What have you done for me lately?’ So it wasn’t too big of a deal to me.”
On the trade in general:
“I’ve seen a lot of people say that it was a steal for Phoenix and stuff like that; I guess time will tell. I heard [the Magic] were offered a lot more than a second-round pick [from other teams], but they just didn’t decide to do one of those other trades… I don’t know all of the details, but I know they had offers from a team in the East and a different West Coast team other than Phoenix.”
On being surprised by the trade:
“About 30 to 45 minutes before the trade actually went down, my agent told me, ‘It seems like the talks are over and it looks like you’ll be staying in Orlando, at least until the end of the season.’ They had heard from [GM] John [Hammond] or [president of basketball operations] Jeff [Weltman] – I don’t know which one exactly, I’m not sure. But they were basically saying the talks were done and a trade was unlikely. Then, maybe seven or eight minutes before the deadline, the deal happened.”
On where his career will go from here:
“I feel like I still have a very high ceiling. Obviously, my shooting has gotten better this year, but I still feel like I can become a way better shooter. And there are still so many different things that I’m learning about the game and so many areas where I know I can improve. For example, I’m finding little tricks to get to the free-throw line more and get my team in the bonus. I’m also working hard to improve on the defensive end. I feel like my ceiling is still pretty high and I have a lot of room for growth.”
On whether he can see himself sticking with the Suns beyond this season:
“Yeah, I really could. Obviously, it’s not only up to me and I understand the business side of the NBA, but this is definitely somewhere I could see myself being for a long time.”
Amar’e Stoudemire To Play In BIG3
Ice Cube’s three-on-three league has added another notable NBA veteran to its ranks, announcing today that former Suns and Knicks big man Amar’e Stoudemire will join the BIG3 for the 2018 season. The news was first reported by ESPN’s Ian Begley.
Stoudemire will become a co-captain for the BIG3’s Tri-State squad, teaming with fellow former NBAers Jermaine O’Neal and Nate Robinson. While O’Neal participated in the BIG3’s inaugural season in 2017, Stoudemire and Robinson are new additions to the league, joining offseason signees like Carlos Boozer, Glen Davis, Baron Davis, Ron Artest, and many more.
[RELATED: Greg Oden joins BIG3 draft pool]
Stoudemire, the ninth overall pick in the 2002 NBA draft, was a six-time All-Star over the course of 14 NBA seasons. In 846 career regular season games, he averaged an impressive 18.9 PPG and 7.8 RPG with a .537 FG%. He nearly replicated those averages (18.7 PPG, 7.4 RPG) in 78 postseason contests.
Although he’s still only 35 years old, Stoudemire hasn’t played in the NBA since the 2015/16 season. The big man spent the 2016/17 campaign playing in Israel before formally announcing his retirement as a player this past September.
