With the trade deadline in the rearview mirror, much attention is being paid to what is expected to be several weeks of busy buyout market activity. The last day that a player can be waived from their current team and still be eligible to play in the postseason with a new team is March 1.
Below are a series of lists breaking down the veterans who have already been bought out – or simply waived – by their respective teams since the trade deadline, along with those who are expected to be, and several more who really ought to be considered possible buyout candidates even if no reports have come out explicitly stating as much.
As the weeks unfold, we may see new names surface as buyout candidates, in such cases (and whenever a player is formally bought out) we’ll update the list.
Potential buyout candidates:
- Arron Afflalo, SG, 32 (Magic) – $1.5MM in 2017/18
- Corey Brewer, SF, 31 (Lakers) – $7.6MM in 2017/18
- Vince Carter, SF, 41 (Kings) – $8.0MM in 2017/18
- Ersan Ilyasova, PF, 30 (Hawks) – $6.0MM in 2017/18
- Jarrett Jack, PG, 34 (Knicks) – $1.5MM in 2017/18
- Shabazz Muhammad, SF, 25 (Timberwolves) – $1.6MM in 2017/18 +1 year
- Joakim Noah, C, 32 (Knicks) – $17.8MM in 2017/18 +2 years
Expected to be bought out or released:
Veterans who have been bought out or released:
- Tony Allen, SG, 36 (Bulls) – $2.1MM in 2017/18
- Marco Belinelli, SG, 31 (Hawks) – $6.6MM in 2017/18: Signed with Sixers
- Joe Johnson, SF, 36 (Kings) – $10.5MM in 2017/18: Agreed to sign with Rockets
- Josh McRoberts, PF, 30 (Mavericks) – $6.0MM in 2017/18
- Derrick Rose, PG, 29 (Jazz) – $2.1MM in 2017/18
- Brandan Wright, PF, 30 (Grizzlies) – $6.0MM in 2017/18: Signed with Rockets