Dirk Nowitzki Done For Season After Ankle Surgery
Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki had surgery on his left ankle this morning and will miss the rest of the season, according to Eddie Sefko of The Dallas Morning News. The procedure was called minor and has been scheduled for several days.
Nowitzki has played 77 games this NBA season, but started experiencing pain from an ankle impingement on Sunday. He didn’t accompany the team on its current road trip and opted for surgery to fix the problem. The procedure is designed to eliminate inflammation and it should enable him to be fully healthy for next season.
Nowitzki signed a two-year contract last summer and has said repeatedly that he intends to complete it.
“As long as my body feels fine like it has so far, with no setbacks like last year when I missed two months, I’m looking forward to hopefully fulfilling my contract,” he stated in December.
Nowitzki continues to remain productive at age 39, averaging 12.0 points per game and shooting better than 40% from 3-point range, the fourth-best mark in his career. He set a record for the most games by a player in his 20th NBA season.
The Mavericks have a $5MM team option on Nowitzki for next year that they are certain to use if he wants to return.
Mavericks’ J.J. Barea To Miss Rest Of Season
Mavericks guard J.J. Barea is finished for the season after suffering a left oblique strain during last night’s game, tweets Dwain Price of Mavs.com. The injury occurred in the second quarter and Barea didn’t return to the game.
“I don’t want to finish the season with it messed up,” he said. “I had a good season, I don’t want anything to happen.”
The 33-year-old averaged 11.6 points and 6.3 assists in 69 games, primarily in a reserve role. A 12-year veteran, he is signed for one more season at about $3.7MM.
Bucks Notes: Parker, Brogdon, Dellavedova, Baker
Jabari Parker and the Bucks may both have a better future if he signs somewhere else this summer, writes Tim Bontemps of The Washington Post. Parker will face an unpredictable market as a restricted free agent after averaging 11.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in 27 games since returning from an ACL tear.
The Bucks offered an extension in October worth about $54MM over three years, but Parker turned it down, hoping for a better deal on the open market. He realizes that his time in Milwaukee may be ending soon.
“Honestly, it’s uncertain,” he said. “I know that, just looking from afar, [the Bucks] will be fine. But I just have to see what’s going to happen with my future, and that’s uncertain. But I know for them, they’ll be fine regardless. They’ve been doing well.”
The Bucks have the option to match any offer Parker receives, but doing so would cut into their free agency plans for next summer, Bontemps adds. Milwaukee will have about $30MM in cap space in 2019, plus $19MM in expiring contracts for John Henson and Matthew Dellavedova that shouldn’t be hard to move if more room is needed.
There’s more news tonight out of Milwaukee:
- Before he moves onto free agency, Parker will focus on his first trip to the playoffs, relays Genaro C. Armas of The Associated Press. Milwaukee clinched a spot tonight, marking the first postseason in which Parker will be healthy enough to participate. “I’m just grateful to get to get the opportunity,” he said. “That’s what means the most [in] the NBA. It’s not the regular season. It’s the postseason, and that’s where you want to end up.”
- Malcolm Brogdon was a limited participant in practice today as he tries to bounce back from a partially torn his left quadricep tendon, tweets Matt Velazquez of The Journal Sentinel. Brogdon was projected to miss six to eight weeks when the injury was discovered in early February. Interim coach Joe Prunty said Brogdon is making progress, but there still isn’t a return date for him or Dellavedova, who is recovering from a grade 3 right ankle sprain.
- Vin Baker has been sober for nearly seven years and is enjoying his new role as an assistant coach for the Bucks, writes Tim Van Vooren of Fox 6 News in Milwaukee. Baker was added to the staff in January when Jason Kidd was ousted as head coach. “I couldn’t imagine, at the age of 46, a more perfect opportunity, a more perfect place to be given my story and given the fact that this is where it all started for me,” Baker said.
- Gery Woelfel offers a look inside the Bucks’ new arena on Woelfel’sPressBox. The facility is expected to be ready in time for the start of next season.
Injury Notes: F. Jackson, Butler, Harris, Barea
Pelicans rookie Frank Jackson is making progress after having his third surgical procedure in 11 months, relays Christian Boutwell of The Advocate. The most recent operation, performed March 19, was follow-up surgery on his right foot to take out scar tissue left over from previous surgeries. Jackson was in New Orleans for tonight’s game and offered an update on his condition.
“Feels great. I’m already walking,” he said. “I’m like two weeks out of surgery. I’m walking. I’m in a boot for another week and then I’ll be out of that. My pain’s completely gone. That’s why I did it. Just taking care of it now.”
A second-round pick out of Duke, Jackson had a stress reaction in his foot that caused him to miss the summer league, then fractured it in late August. Jackson said he is hoping to be ready for summer league this year.
There’s more injury news from around the league:
- It appears the Timberwolves and Nuggets will both be missing key players for tomorrow night’s showdown in Denver. Jimmy Butler is listed as doubtful for Minnesota as he tries to come back after surgery to fix a torn meniscus, tweets Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic. Derrick Rose and Jeff Teague are both questionable. Denver guard Gary Harris will miss the game as he continues to rehab a right knee injury, according to Jerry Zgoda of The Star Tribune (Twitter link).
- Mavericks guard J.J. Barea left tonight’s game after suffering a left oblique strain, writes Eddie Sefko of The Dallas Morning News. With just three games remaining, it’s possible that Barea’s season is over.
- Nets forward DeMarre Carroll has a strained left hip and will be day-to-day for the rest of the season, tweets Michael Scotto of The Athletic.
- Magic forward Jonathon Simmons may miss the rest of the season with a badly bruised right wrist, according to John Denton of NBA.com. Simmons sat out his eighth straight game tonight and is upset about not being able to play after signing a three-year, $18MM contract last summer. “My disappointment is about my love for the game and not wanting to let these guys down under the circumstances,” he said. “I’d love to be out there fighting with these guys, and the most disappointing part is not being able to be out there with my teammates.’’
Cavaliers Notes: Leonard, Hood, Calderon, Drew
The Cavaliers will be among the teams reaching out to the Spurs this offseason about Kawhi Leonard, sources tell Sam Amico of AmicoHoops. There have been reports that teams around the league believe Leonard may be available because of the season-long drama surrounding his quad injury.
The Cavs have a valuable asset to offer in the unprotected Nets pick, and although it’s not certain they would part with the selection, Amico writes that it will probably be the first thing the Spurs ask for. Brooklyn is seventh in our latest Reverse Standings, but is only one loss away from moving into a tie for fourth.
There’s more today out of Cleveland:
- Shooting guard Rodney Hood has a big fan in teammate LeBron James, Amico adds in a separate story. James is counting on Hood to be an important contributor in the playoffs and believes he has a bright future with the team. Acquired from the Jazz at the trade deadline, Hood is averaging 11.2 points in 19 games with Cleveland. He will be eligible for an extension this summer.
- The Cavaliers have been through a lot of point guards this season, but veteran Jose Calderon continues to stand out, notes Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com. The 36-year-old had a season-high 19 points to go with four assists and just one turnover in Tuesday’s win against the East-leading Raptors. “Jose is just a guy, he just knows his position,” interim coach Larry Drew said. “He knows how to play his position. He’s not quick. He’s not fast. He doesn’t do a lot of things out on the court that are very sexy, but he just gets things done and little things like that, big men have an appreciation for. Kevin [Love] knows that if he sets a good screen on Jose’s guy, chances are he’s going to be open. The two of them out on the floor, they really mesh real well.”
- Drew deserves credit for helping to save the Cavs’ season when head coach Tyronn Lue was sidelined by health problems, writes Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com. The team is 8-1 since Drew took over on March 19 and appears to be playing its best basketball heading into the postseason. Lue plans to resume head coaching duties Thursday.
Draft Notes: Newman, Duval, J. Robinson, Sanon
Malik Newman, a dynamic shooting guard who led Kansas to the Final Four, will declare for the draft and sign with an agent, according to a press release from the school’s athletic department.
The 21-year-old was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Year after transferring from Mississippi State. He averaged 14.2 points in 39 games and was named Most Outstanding Player in the Big 12 Tournament and the NCAA’s Midwest Regional.
“He had a terrific season this year and was one of the best players in the NCAA tournament,” said Jayhawks coach Bill Self. “I think this is good timing for Malik. We wish nothing but the best for him and appreciate all his efforts. We all know his best basketball is still ahead of him.”
Newman is listed 46th in the latest list of top 100 prospects compiled by Jonathan Givony of ESPN.
There are more early draft entrants to round up:
- Duke’s Trevon Duval will enter the draft and sign with an agent, tweets Jeff Goodman of ESPN. Duval averaged 10.3 points per game and comes in 50th on Givony’s list.
- Boston College teammates Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman will both enter the draft without hiring agents, writes John Rothstein of Fanrag Sports. Partners in the Eagles’ backcourt, Robinson averaged a 20.7/3.6/3.3 line this season, while Bowman put up 17.6/6.8/4.7. Robinson is ranked 39th by Givony, while Bowman didn’t make the list.
- Mississippi State’s Lamar Peters will declare for the draft, but won’t hire an agent, Rothstein relays in a separate story. The point guard, who averaged 9.6 points and 4.5 assists this year, also isn’t listed by Givony.
- Auburn’s Mustapha Heron plans to declare for the draft and sign with an agent, relays Evan Daniels of 247Sports. The 20-year-old sophomore wing averaged 16.4 points and 5.3 rebounds per game this year. “It’s always been a dream to play at the highest level,” Heron said. “Now is a better time than any other time. I’m coming off a pretty good season and the buzz is there and I feel like I’m ready mentally and physically.” He’s also not ranked by Givony.
- Issuf Sanon of Urkaine plans to enter the draft, according to Mike Schmitz of ESPN. The 18-year-old guard has a multiyear contract with Petrol Olimpija Ljubljana in Slovenia that contains an NBA out each season. He has until June 11 to withdraw, but his agent, Daniel Moldovan, said Sanon plans to remain in the draft. “Since moving to Olimpija Ljubljana my game has grown,” Sanon said. “Working with coaches, I feel myself getting better every day. It has been a dream of mine to play in the NBA and I’m excited for this next chapter.” Givony rates him as the 69th best prospect.
Miami’s Lonnie Walker To Enter NBA Draft
Lonnie Walker of Miami will declare for the NBA draft and hire an agent, he announced on Twitter.
The 19-year-old freshman averaged 11.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.9 assists during his lone season with the Hurricanes. A 6’4″ guard, he is considered a potential lottery pick and is ranked 15th by ESPN’s Jonathan Givony in his latest list of the top 100 prospects.
“The University of Miami exceeded my expectations,” Walker said in his announcement. “… I’ve made friends and memories that will last a lifetime and can’t thank anyone but the man above for giving me such an amazing experience.”
NBA G League Assignments/Recalls: 4/4/18
Here are Wednesday’s G League assignments and recalls from around the NBA:
- The Lakers have recalled Travis Wear, according to a tweet from their South Bay affiliate. Wear is expected to be in uniform tonight after scoring 23 points and grabbing 11 rebounds Tuesday in South Bay’s win over Reno in the Western Conference semifinals.
- The Pacers have recalled Ike Anigbogu from Fort Wayne, the team announced on its website. He had five points, five rebounds and a block last night in the Mad Ants’ loss to Erie in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
- The Hawks recalled Tyler Cavanaugh and Jeremy Evans from Erie, according to the team’s website. Cavanaugh had one point in Tuesday’s game, while Evans posted 24 points and seven rebounds.
- The Spurs announced the recall of Derrick White. He had 20 points and six assists Monday as Austin defeated Rio Grande Valley and advanced to the Western Conference finals.
O.J. Mayo Signs In Puerto Rico, Eyes NBA Comeback
O.J. Mayo, whose two-year ban from the NBA expires this summer, has reached an agreement to play in Puerto Rico, tweets NBA agent Christian Santaella.
Mayo’s suspension was related to abuse of a prescription pain medication, which violated the league’s anti-drug program. It was a second offense for Mayo, who was suspended for 10 games in 2011 after testing positive for a banned steroid. He will be eligible to apply for reinstatement on July 1.
The third player taken in the 2008 draft, Mayo played four seasons in Memphis before signing with Dallas as a free agent in 2012. A year later, he signed with Milwaukee and spent three seasons there before the suspension.
As we relayed in August, Mayo, now 30, has been working with a personal coach and trainer in hopes of getting an opportunity to play overseas. He expressed interest in returning to the Bucks to pick up his career where it left off, although the close relationship he cited with coach Jason Kidd won’t be a factor now that Kidd has been replaced.
Mayo will have to get the approval of both the NBA and the players union before being cleared to return.
Tyronn Lue To Return Thursday
Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue, who missed the past nine games with health concerns, will be back on the sidelines Thursday, according to Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com.
The 40-year-old had several health-related issues when he decided to step aside, including chest pains and sleep deprivation. He last coached on March 17 and wasn’t able to come out of the locker room for the second half of the game.
In addition to taking medication, Lue has made changes to his diet and sleep patterns and adopted an exercise program. He has been spending time with the Cavs before and after games and at their training facility in preparation for his return.
Cleveland posted an 8-1 record under lead assistant Larry Drew and is third in the Eastern Conference. Drew’s record is 9-1 overall, counting a game that Lue missed in December.
“He’s kind of been gradually getting back into it,” Drew said. “I can see that the guys have already embraced him. So it’s just a matter of him being more hands on now once he does get back.”
Players are looking forward to Lue’s return and a chance to get things back to normal before the playoffs begin.
“We’re very happy to have him back,” Rodney Hood said. “We look forward to having him back, having his voice back in the locker room.”
