Wolves Rumors: Russell, Beasley, McDaniels, Gordon, Powell

As the Timberwolves approach the trade deadline, they have no intention of entertaining trade offers for big man Karl-Anthony Towns, shooting guard Anthony Edwards, or point guard D’Angelo Russell, sources tell Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic.

As Krawczynski explains, the Wolves view those three players as cornerstone pieces and are eager to see how they look together under new head coach Chris Finch once Russell returns to action.

Russell, who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee to remove a loose body in February, has started to work out with the club and could begin participating in team activities this weekend or early next week, per Finch (via Krawczynski). D-Lo’s exact return date will hinge on how knee responds following last month’s procedure.

Here’s more on the Wolves:

  • Minnesota has been receiving a number of calls about Malik Beasley and Jaden McDaniels, sources tell Krawczynski. However, the club is reluctant to part with either player. The Wolves believe McDaniels has the potential to develop into a versatile, shot-blocking power forward who would be an ideal complement for Towns.
  • Krawczynski confirms a previous Bleacher Report story that indicated the Wolves and Magic were making progress on a potential Aaron Gordon trade prior to the forward’s ankle injury earlier this season. By the time Gordon returned from that injury, Minnesota had fallen well out of the postseason, and the 25-year-old is hoping to be sent to a playoff team. That doesn’t mean the Wolves couldn’t still acquire him, but they may not be confident about their ability to sign him beyond his current contract.
  • During his televised Trade Deadline special with Adrian Wojnarowski this afternoon, ESPN’s Zach Lowe suggested the Magic would “love to get their hands on” McDaniels in any Gordon trade with the Wolves.
  • The Timberwolves have previously inquired about trading for Raptors swingman Norman Powell, but were unable to agree on compensation, says Krawczynski.

Trade Rumors: Celtics, Raptors, Herro, McGee, Mavs

Reports earlier this week stated that acquiring Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier from the Magic could cost the Celtics a package that includes Marcus Smart and two first-round picks. However, a source tells Mark Murphy of The Boston Herald (Twitter link) that Boston is currently offering a first-round pick and a young player (not Smart) for Gordon, and are trying not to include a second first-rounder in a potential deal.

Murphy’s report doesn’t mention Fournier, which makes sense — if the Celtics want both Gordon and Fournier, a higher-priced player like Smart would need to be included for salary-matching purposes, since only one of those players would fit into Boston’s $28.5MM traded player exception. But if the C’s are just targeting Gordon, salary-matching wouldn’t be necessary.

Here are a few more trade rumors from around the NBA:

  • The Raptors are continuing to push for Tyler Herro‘s inclusion in any trade with the Heat involving Kyle Lowry, reports Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald (Twitter link). Meanwhile, Jason Dumas of KRON4 News says (via Twitter) that the Sixers view acquiring Lowry as a long shot.
  • Several contending teams are in the mix for Cavaliers center JaVale McGee, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who says there’s a “strong sense” that a deal will be made by Thursday’s deadline.
  • Appearing today on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, Mavericks president Donnie Nelson suggested that a big deadline splash is unlikely for his team, as Callie Caplan of The Dallas Morning News tweets. Don’t get your hopes up,” Nelson said. “We like this young crew.” Head coach Rick Carlisle has also expressed skepticism that the Mavs will make any significant moves, writes Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News.

Aaron Gordon Addresses Trade Request

Responding on Tuesday to a report that said he asked the Magic to trade him, Aaron Gordon didn’t dispute that report, telling the media that he made the request due to his “frustration” with his situation, writes Nick Friedell of ESPN.

“There’s been times where I just expressed my frustration to management,” Gordon said. “Frustration with the losses, the injuries, the way we’ve been playing and how many losses have accumulated over the years. So it’s just my frustration kind of boiling over, I would say. … I think a lot of people share that sentiment with me, of frustration.”

Gordon is in his seventh season with the Magic, having been drafted by the team back in 2014. During that time, Orlando has made the playoffs just twice and was quickly eliminated in a 4-1 first-round series each time. With the Magic enduring another tough season in 2020/21, it’s no surprise that the veteran forward is ready for a change of scenery.

The NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits players from publicly requesting trades, but I’d be surprised if the league disciplines Gordon for addressing the report about a request he made privately to the team — especially since he responded carefully when asked on Tuesday if he’s still hoping to be dealt.

“I’m focused on (Wednesday) night,” Gordon said. “As of right now, I’m an Orlando Magic. I’ve been here for seven years, developed a home here, a sense of love and community here. For as long as I have Orlando on my chest, Magic on my chest, I’m going to give it everything I have.”

Gordon is considered likely to be dealt this week, with the Celtics and Nuggets reportedly among the top contenders to land him.

Mannix’s Latest: Gordon, Celtics, Barnes, Oladipo, OKC, More

Several rival executives tell Chris Mannix of SI.com that the Magic appear committed to trading both Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier this week. Having fallen well out of the playoff race in the Eastern Conference, Orlando is prioritizing receiving draft compensation rather than players who could help the team win this season, Mannix writes.

To that end, while Marcus Smart is said to be included in the Celticstrade discussions for Gordon and Fournier, Mannix wonders if the Magic might want to re-route Smart to a third team for more draft capital if Boston and Orlando move forward on that deal.

Mannix also suggests there has been some chatter around the league that the Celtics’ talks with the Magic about Gordon may be a way of pressuring the Kings into more seriously discussing Harrison Barnes, since there hasn’t been much traction with Sacramento to date. The Kings don’t seem to be displaying a strong desire to move key players for draft picks, says Mannix.

Here are a few more items of interest from Mannix’s latest trade rumor roundup:

  • It’s no longer a question of whether or not the Rockets will trade Victor Oladipo, but rather where they’ll send him, according to Mannix, who hears that the Knicks‘ interest in the two-time All-Star may be overstated.
  • The Thunder are “open for business” on deals for Al Horford and George Hill, but haven’t made it down the road in any trade discussions for either veteran. Mannix says Oklahoma City has sought “second-round compensation” for Hill, though it’s unclear if that means one second-round pick or multiple selections.
  • There’s still no serious traction toward any trades involving Cavaliers center Andre Drummond or Spurs big man LaMarcus Aldridge. Mannix thinks both players will ultimately end up on the buyout market, where they’ll receive significant interest.

John Collins: “I Want To Stay” With Hawks

One of the most frequent subjects of NBA trade speculation in recent weeks, Hawks big man John Collins, made it clear on Tuesday that he’d prefer not to join a new team this week, as Sarah K. Spencer of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution details.

“I want to stay,” Collins told reporters. “I want my flowers here in Atlanta. I want to be true to Atlanta for my entire career, as corny or cheesy as it may sound to whoever. As a basketball player, as someone who takes pride in their job, me being drafted in the organization, and me living here, becoming a man and living my life in the NBA as a Hawk, it means something to me.

“It might not mean a lot to other people, but I want to be here. I want my future to be here. I want to think about my future here, but as I said, the reality of the situation is it’s not always, stuff doesn’t always go the way I want it to, and all I can do to make sure that my future is as good as it can be is to make sure that I’m the best player I can be, and wake up every day and figure it out.”

Collins and the Hawks discussed a rookie scale extension prior to the season, with Atlanta reportedly offering somewhere in the range of $90MM over four years. The 23-year-old turned down that offer, putting him on track for restricted free agency in 2021, but it sounds like he’s still interested in working out a new long-term with his current club. Collins said last March that he believed he was in “max contract contention,” but he clarified on Tuesday that a maximum-salary offer isn’t all he’ll accept.

“There has never been a single number,” Collins said, per Spencer. “I never said ‘I need a max,’ or I never said ‘I’m only taking a max.’ All I said was I feel like with my play and what I’ve done I feel like I should be in max contention, or I should be in the caliber, realm of guys, who do what I do on the court, and that’s all I said. There was no, ‘Oh, I need a five-year max,’ this and that, I never said any of that.”

If the Hawks believe a rival team will offer Collins a max-salary offer sheet this offseason and they’re wary of matching it, a trade this week would make some sense. But Atlanta has reportedly conveyed to teams inquiring on Collins that they’re comfortable matching any offer for him in free agency. As such, the odds of an in-season trade appear to be declining.

According to Chris Mannix of SI.com, the Hawks don’t seem willing to give up Collins for anything less than a package of young players and draft picks. Mannix adds that rival executives are saying Atlanta isn’t operating like a team eager to move the young power forward, while Collins said on Tuesday that he expects to remain with the Hawks through the deadline.

If the Hawks’ stance changes between now and Thursday afternoon, the Hornets are a team to watch, according to Mannix, who notes that Charlotte could put together a package headlined by Devonte’ Graham and draft picks and would have the flexibility to sign Collins to a lucrative new contract this summer.

Lonzo Ball Likely To Be Dealt This Week?

Ever since trade rumors involving Pelicans guard Lonzo Ball first started to surface in January, there have been conflicting reports on just how willing the team is to move him. However, a pair of national NBA reporters suggested on Wednesday that the odds a Ball trade happening by Thursday’s deadline may be better than 50/50.

One of those reporters, Chris Mannix of SI.com, wrote that Ball isn’t in New Orleans’ long-term plans and is likely to be dealt this week. The other, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, discussed Ball’s situation in an appearance on the Keyshawn, JWill, and Zubin Show on Wednesday morning.

“I think there’s a sense on both sides that a new home would make sense for him,” Wojnarowski said of Ball and the Pelicans (video link). “… I do think that there’s a pretty good chance he moves before Thursday’s trade deadline.”

Wojnarowski specifically identified the Bulls as a team to keep an eye on for Ball, since he could be a good fit at the point guard spot in Chicago under Billy Donovan. Woj also said that the Sixers have some interest in Ball, though they’re considered a longer shot to acquire the former No. 2 pick.

Mannix, meanwhile, didn’t specifically name Philadelphia as a team with interest in Ball, but noted that the 76ers are canvassing the league looking for backcourt help. According to Mannix, the Clippers are another team to watch, as there’s a sense they may “zero in” on Ball and Ricky Rubio in their search for a point guard upgrade. Marc Stein of The New York Times previously reported the Clippers’ interest in Ball.

The Nuggets have also been repeatedly been mentioned by league sources as a possible Ball suitor, per Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

Ball will be a restricted free agent this summer and may be hoping for $20MM per year on his next deal, according to a Tuesday report. A separate report indicated that the Pelicans are believed to be seeking at least a first-round pick for the point guard — that may be a problem for the Clippers, who can’t currently trade any of their first-rounders.

Trade Rumors: Brogdon, Ball, K. Williams, Bjelica

A Tuesday report stated that the Pacers are listening to inquiries on Malcolm Brogdon, and Chris Mannix of SI.com wrote today that the Hawks have had discussions about the guard. However, Brogdon won’t be dealt this week, two sources tell J. Michael of The Indianapolis Star (subscription required). Still, Indiana is worth keeping an eye on, as the club has underperformed to some extent this season.

Multiples sources tell Michael that Pacers coach Nate Bjorkgren, who has strong relationships with Brogdon and Domantas Sabonis, can be “too much of a micro-manager,” while another source suggested that’s to be expected for a first-year head coach who is still learning the ropes.

There’s no indication that Bjorkgren’s job is in any jeopardy, but the coaching staff may receive an offseason shake-up, Michael reports. In the meantime, it’s unclear if the Pacers will make any deadline moves — their plan as of a few weeks ago was to stand pat and wait for Caris LeVert to round into form and T.J. Warren to get healthy, says Michael.

Here are a few more trade rumors from around the NBA:

Tre Mann, Others Declare For 2021 NBA Draft

Florida sophomore guard Tre Mann is entering the 2021 NBA draft and will forgo his remaining college eligibility, writes ESPN’s Jonathan Givony.

Mann played well in the SEC and NCAA tournaments this month, boosting his stock substantially in the eyes of NBA evaluators, says Givony. The 6’5″ guard averaged 16.0 PPG, 5.6 RPG, and 3.5 APG on .459/.402/.831 shooting in 24 games (32.4 MPG) this season.

Givony ranks Mann 15th on ESPN’s list of top 2021 prospects, calling him one of the most talented ball-handlers and shot-creators in this year’s draft class.

“I think that NBA teams were able to see my ability to play on and off the ball as well as my improved stats across the board,” Mann told ESPN. “I was able to showcase my leadership skills, efficiency shooting the ball, defensive versatility and ability to rebound.”

Here are some of the other prospects who have recently declared for the draft:

Nuggets Rumors: Barnes, Gordon, Hampton, Fournier

The Nuggets are interested in Kings forward Harrison Barnes, a league source tells Mike Singer of The Denver Post. Singer suggests the price tag for Barnes is unclear, but multiple previous reports have indicated that Sacramento is expected to demand a significant return.

Barnes is one of a handful of combo forwards who has been linked to the Nuggets as of late. As Singer and Sam Amick of The Athletic point out, Denver seems to be in the market for a forward with some size who can match up against the likes of LeBron James and Kawhi Leonard in the postseason. Two of the Nuggets’ top defenders, Jerami Grant and Torrey Craig, departed in free agency during the 2020 offseason, leaving the team with a hole at that spot.

Here’s more on the Nuggets:

  • The Nuggets remain interested in Aaron Gordon, and the Magic appear more motivated to move Gordon than the Kings do to deal Barnes, writes Singer.
  • A source with knowledge of the situation tells Amick that there are conflicting views within the Nuggets organization on how strong an offer the team should be willing to make for Gordon. The possible inclusion of 2020 first-round pick R.J. Hampton is one apparent source of debate, Amick adds.
  • Amick also observes that Gordon’s next contract could be cause for concern for the Nuggets as they consider a potential deal. The franchise is already heavily invested in Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray, so the roster would start getting awfully expensive if and when Gordon and Michael Porter Jr. also require significant financial commitments.
  • We passed along an Athletic report last night indicating that the Nuggets have also inquired on Magic guard Evan Fournier. Chris Mannix of SI.com confirms that report, citing league sources who say Denver has engaged with Orlando on both Gordon and Fournier.

Scotto’s Latest: Mavs, Holmes, Clippers, Rockets, Drummond, More

The Mavericks are among the teams to express interest in trading for Kings center Richaun Holmes, reports Michael Scotto of HoopsHype. Charlotte and Toronto have previously been identified as other clubs eyeing Holmes, who will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

While Holmes seems to be drawing plenty of interest from potential suitors, multiple reports have indicated it would take a substantial offer to pry him away from the Kings. The big man has also spoken glowingly about his current team and about the city of Sacramento, suggesting he’ll be open to remaining with the Kings beyond this season. As such, general manager Monte McNair won’t necessarily feel pressure to get something back for Holmes now, ahead of his free agency.

Here’s more from Scotto:

  • The Clippers have shown interest in Pacers guard Aaron Holiday, according to Scotto. Holiday could be an option if L.A. can’t acquire a veteran like Ricky Rubio or George Hill, though Indiana’s asking price is high — the team is said to be seeking a first-round pick for Holiday.
  • Scotto writes that the Rockets are among the teams to express exploratory interest in Cavaliers center Andre Drummond. That seems like an odd fit for this season’s Houston squad, but could signal that the team will be among Drummond’s suitors in free agency this offseason.
  • The Cavaliers are hoping to acquire a second-round pick in a trade involving center JaVale McGee, league sources tell Scotto.
  • Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports previously mentioned Avery Bradley as a possible Nets target if Spencer Dinwiddie is sent to the Heat. Scotto reiterates that point, noting that Brooklyn had offseason interest in Bradley, who is close with Kevin Durant and Nets assistant Royal Ivey.