As we detailed on Wednesday, 2022 has been a somewhat eventful year on the NBA’s coaching carousel, with four teams hiring new head coaches this offseason.
All four clubs that have made changes since the 2021/22 season began were replacing coaches who had ranked among the league’s top 12 longest-tenured head coaches. Quin Snyder (Jazz) and James Borrego (Hornets) were the fourth- and sixth-longest tenured head coaches, respectively, before they were replaced this spring. Luke Walton (Kings) had ranked 10th, while Frank Vogel (Lakers) was 12th.
Given the turnover in the head coaching ranks, it’s time we update our list sorting the NBA’s 30 head coaches by when they were hired. Here’s the current breakdown of the league’s longest-tenured head coaches by team:
- Gregg Popovich, Spurs: December 1996
- Erik Spoelstra, Heat: April 2008
- Steve Kerr, Warriors: May 2014
- Michael Malone, Nuggets: June 2015
- Mike Budenholzer, Bucks: May 2018
- Dwane Casey, Pistons: June 11, 2018
- Nick Nurse, Raptors: June 14, 2018
- Monty Williams, Suns: May 2019
- Note: Williams remained a Sixers assistant through the end of Philadelphia’s playoff run.
- Taylor Jenkins, Grizzlies: June 2019
- J.B. Bickerstaff, Cavaliers: February 2020
- Tom Thibodeau, Knicks: July 2020
- Steve Nash, Nets: September 3, 2020
- Billy Donovan, Bulls: September 22, 2020
- Doc Rivers, Sixers: October 3, 2020
- Tyronn Lue, Clippers: October 20, 2020
- Stephen Silas, Rockets: October 30, 2020
- Mark Daigneault, Thunder: November 2020
- Chris Finch, Timberwolves: February 2021
- Nate McMillan, Hawks: March 2021
- Note: McMillan was an interim head coach until being named the permanent coach on July 8, 2021.
- Rick Carlisle, Pacers: June 24, 2021
- Chauncey Billups, Trail Blazers: June 27, 2021
- Ime Udoka, Celtics: June 28, 2021
- Jason Kidd, Mavericks: June 28, 2021
- Jamahl Mosley, Magic: July 11, 2021
- Wes Unseld Jr., Wizards: July 17, 2021
- Willie Green, Pelicans: July 22, 2021
- Mike Brown, Kings: May 2022
- Darvin Ham, Lakers: June 3, 2022
- Steve Clifford, Hornets: June 24, 2022
- Will Hardy, Jazz: June 29, 2022
While there are no surprises at the very top of this list, Budenholzer’s spot in the top five reflects how short the typical tenure for an NBA head coach is — he has moved that high despite having coached the Bucks for only four seasons.
Similarly, Bickerstaff has moved into the top 10 even though he was hired by the Cavaliers just two-and-a-half years ago