It seemed highly unlikely at times this past summer and fall that Nets star Kyrie Irving would even finish the season in Brooklyn, let alone stick with the team beyond 2022/23. But now several executives around the NBA believe that Irving will remain with the Nets this summer rather than leaving for a new team in free agency, according to Michael Scotto of HoopsHype.
“I think Kyrie ends up with a short extension with the Nets,” one executive predicted. “A sign-and-trade for Kyrie this summer would be tough given the length needed and assets to make it happen from another team. I think there’s an incentive for an extension on a one-plus-one or two-year deal.”
The Lakers, who were rumored to have interest in Irving during the 2022 offseason, loom as perhaps the biggest threat to lure him away from the Nets during the summer of 2023. They’re currently on track to open up about $30MM in cap space and could offer Kyrie the opportunity to form a Big Three alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis.
Here’s more from Scotto:
- The Rockets are expected to go “star hunting” during the offseason, according to Scotto, who notes that Houston will have a significant chunk of cap space and wants to be more competitive in 2023/24.
- Echoing previous reports, Scotto says the prevailing belief from outside the Hawks‘ organization is that head coach Nate McMillan won’t still be coaching the team next season.
- Donovan Williams‘ new two-way contract with the Hawks covers next season in addition to the rest of this one, according to Scotto, who tweets that Atlanta has long been intrigued by Williams’ upside.
- Wizards two-way player Jordan Goodwin is a strong candidate to be promoted to Washington’s 15-man roster before the end of this season, assuming the team can open up a spot, league sources tell Scotto. Goodwin is 10th among Wizards in minutes played this season, having earned playing time over several players who are on standard contracts.
- Before he signed with the Nets over the summer, guard Edmond Sumner also received interest from the Suns, Pistons, and Pacers, per Scotto. Sumner worked out for Phoenix and had a workout scheduled with Detroit that he had to miss due to COVID-19.
12 thoughts on “Scotto’s Latest: Irving, Rockets, McMillan, D. Williams, Goodwin, Sumner”
Sankara Mock Draft 1-18…
1.HOU- Victor Wembanyama -France big
2.CLT- Brandon Miller -Alabama forward
3.DET- Scoot Henderson -Ignite pg
4.SA- Cam Whitmore -Villanova wing
5.ORL- Amen Thompson -OTE pg
6.DC- Keyonte George -Baylor guard
7.TOR- Nick Smith -Arkansas guard
8.ORL- Ausar Thompson -OTE wing
9.NO- Anthony Black -Arkansas pg
10.PHO- Taylor Hendricks -UCF forward
11.OKC- Dariq Whitehead -Duke wing
12.POR- Jett Howard -Michigan wing
13.UTA- Gradey Dxck -KU wing
14.ATL- Jarace Walker -Houston big
15.UTA- Cason Wallace -UK pg
16.GSW- Noah Clowney -Alabama big
17.LAC- Kel’el Ware -Oregon big
18.IND- Baba Miller -FSU forward
19.MIA- Leonard Miller -Ignite forward
20.NYK- Terquavion Smith -NC State guard
21.NYK- GG Jackson -SCarolina forward
22.SAC- Kris Murray -Iowa forward
23.LAL- Dillon Mitchell -Texas forward
24.IND- Trayce Jackson-Davis -Indiana forward
25.BK- Rayan Rupert -France wing
26.PHI- Julian Phillips -Tennessee wing
27.HOU- Maxwell Lewis -Pepperdine wing
28.MEM- DaRon Holmes -Dayton big
29.CLT- Mike Miles -TCU pg
30.IND- Jordan Hawkins UConn guard
Brandon Miller = (Glenn Robinson + Jaren Jackson Jr)/2 #dontsleep… link to m.youtube.com
Only thing i have a problem with is you abbreviating Charlotte as CLT.
Apparently that’s how they do it in Charlotte. But if CLT/CHO/CHA can grab Brandon Miller & Mike Miles that would probably be the best draft in franchise history.. link to m.youtube.com
CLT is all over the city.
Just need a commander
It’s like when I see the NFL Network abbreviate Houston as HST. Nobody in Houston uses that abbreviation for the city.
learn Clippers and Nets model
Starting point: acquiring 2 superstars
Learn Grizzlies model
Bane, 2 million salary
Clarke 3 million salary
Williams 4 million salary
Lakers don’t need Irving and LeBron between 2025 and 2029
Lakers can keep Davis and sign free agent Draymond and Klay Thompson
Warriors give them 3-year contracts. Lakers can give them 4
Rockets need a new coach. Silas needs to go. Sad he is part of this team. Sure looks to me they are purposely tanking. I am sorry I do not care for this with a professional team. Rockets and Texans are a disaster of sports teams in Houston. Texans need new ownership and Rockets need new coaching. I see potential with team players but coaching has been a disaster since Silas came in. No one will change my mind on him with their speeches about Harden and Westbrook were his issues to start or they are a young team so they need a while or so forth. I think John Lucas that is main assistant and takes team when Silas cannot will do a lot better as coach as think the players are not in tune with Silas.
Houston first need’s a PG … Conley, FVV Lowry & dLo are on the move