Arturs Zagars

Draft Updates: Matthews, Bol, Porter, Withdrawals

Former Michigan guard Charles Matthews suffered some bad luck with the 2019 NBA draft right around the corner, as agent Adam Pensack tells Jonathan Givony of ESPN.com that his client has a torn ACL. The injury occurred during a workout with the Celtics, Givony adds.

Matthews, who had been ranked as the No. 60 prospect on ESPN’s big board and was receiving second-round interest, will head to his hometown of Chicago to undergo surgery to repair the ACL. He hasn’t given up hope of being selected in next week’s draft.

“Injuries are tough, but Charles is an extremely hard worker and will be back stronger than ever,” Pensack told Givony. “He had a series of outstanding workouts lately and has helped himself. Charles will continue that momentum when he returns to action. As of now, we have interest in the second round as Charles is OK signing a two-way contract like Edmond Sumner did with the Indiana Pacers in 2017.”

Let’s round up a few more draft-related items…

  • Bol Bol, who is recovering from a foot fracture, will hold an invite-only workout for select teams on Wednesday, according to Jeremy Woo and Jake Fischer of SI.com (Twitter link). Bol is one of the biggest wild cards in the draft for health-related reasons, so Wednesday’s session could have a major impact on where he’s selected.
  • Kevin Porter Jr., a probable first-round pick, has worked out for the Nets, Spurs, and Hornets, and has sessions lined up with the Magic and Hawks, tweets Rick Bonnell of The Charlotte Observer. Porter’s previously-reported upcoming workouts with the Heat and Wizards will take place on June 13 and June 17, respectively (Twitter links via Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald and Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington).
  • With Monday’s withdrawal deadline looming, several international early entrants are pulling their names out of the 2019 draft pool. According to reports from Givony and Lithuanian journalist Donatas Urbonas (all four Twitter links), the following players are withdrawing: Nikita Mikhailovskii (Russia), Arturs Zagars (Latvia), Henri Drell (France), Tadas Sedekerskis (Lithuania), Gytis Masiulis (Lithuania), and Arnas Velicka (Lithuania).
  • Lithuanian early entrants Deividas Sirvydis and Matas Jogela intend to remain in the draft pool, sources tell Urbonas (Twitter link). According to Givony (all Twitter links), Sekou Doumbouya (France), Goga Bitadze (Georgia), Luka Samanic (Croatia), Adam Mokoka (France), and Marcos Louzada Silva (Brazil) will also stay in the draft.

Draft Notes: Thompson, Zagars, Ngom, Lecque

North Carolina State commit Jalen Lecque has announced his decision to declare for the 2019 NBA Draft, posting a video to his social media page today.

“I would like to thank god, my mom, my dad, my brothers and sisters and my extended family and friends,” Lecque said. “I would like to thank Christ School and Brewster Academy for providing me with the education and giving me the opportunity and making me the man I am today.”

Lecque also hasn’t ruled out the possibility of returning to NC State if he isn’t selected in the draft, Evan Daniels of 247Sports tweets.

Here are some other draft notes today:

  • Oregon State guard Ethan Thompson has declared for the draft and will hire an agent, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports. Thompson started in 63 games during his two seasons at Oregon State, holding per-game averages of 11.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists.
  • Latvian guard Arturs Zagars has entered his name to the draft, his agency You First Sports told ESPN’s Jonathan Givony (Twitter link). Zagars was the MVP of the FIBA U18 European Championship and has a strong chance of getting drafted, Givony adds.
  • Ryerson University center Tanor Ngom has declared for the draft, head coach Roy Rana confirmed to Givony. Ngom, a 7’2″ native of Senegal, averaged 11.3 points and 5.6 rebounds on 64% shooting this season. He had notable performances against Duke during a preseason game last year and at the Nike Academy in August.