Earlier this week, a report indicated that Chinese Basketball Association teams collectively decided that foreign players who are under contract in the CBA and refuse to return to China will be banned from the league for three years.
With that being said, it seems as if several foreign players are heeding this warning and heading back, per Emiliano Carchia of Sportando.
Some of the notable returning players are Jared Cunningham, Donatas Motiejunas, MarShon Brooks, Ty Lawson, and Jeremy Lin. Those players and others will quarantine for 14 days and get tested for COVID-19 upon returning to China.
The CBA’s season is set to resume play on April 15 with games reportedly taking place in Qingdao and Dongguan.
Here’s more on the international circuit:
- The VTB League in Russia announced on Tuesday that its season will be suspended until April 10 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In a statement, the league adds that if the restrictions are lifted after April 10, it will be ready to play the rest of its regular-season schedule and playoffs.
- The Polish League (PLK) announced on Wednesday that the rest of its season will be canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak. Despite the cancellation, the PLK went ahead and crowned first-place Stelmet Enea BC Zielona Gora as league champions.
- Czech Kooperativa NBL decided to cancel its season on Wednesday. However, unlike the PLK, it has not named a champion or decided the teams that will be relegated or promoted.
- After resuming following a coronavirus-related hiatus, Japan’s B League has been suspended again through at least April 4 due to concerns from players and coaches, as Emiliano Carchia of Sportando details.
- The British Basketball League (BBL) announced on Tuesday that it will join other basketball leagues and postpone its season to combat COVID-19.