Leandro Bolmaro

Wolves Notes: Bolmaro, Finch, Rubio, Edwards, Lore

During an appearance on The Cake Show on KFAN in Minnesota (audio link), Timberwolves president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas strongly hinted that the team plans to sign 2020 first-round pick Leandro Bolmaro for the 2021/22 season.

Explaining why the Wolves feel as if they’ve prepared for the possibility of losing their first-round selection (to the Warriors) in 2021, Rosas didn’t mention Bolmaro by name, but suggested that last year’s No. 23 overall pick could help fill the hole created by not having a ’21 first-rounder.

“If we don’t (keep) the pick, we’ll have some financial flexibility,” Rosas said. “(And) we’ve got a player that we drafted last year who will come in next year.”

Bolmaro, an Argentinian guard, remained with FC Barcelona after being drafted by the Wolves last November. He was one of three players selected by Minnesota in the 2020 draft — the other two, Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels, are on this year’s roster.

Here’s more on the Wolves:

  • During that same KFAN appearance (audio link), Rosas also spoke about the impact Chris Finch has made since taking over as the Timberwolves’ head coach earlier this season and raved about Ricky Rubio‘s influence on the team’s young players.
  • Jon Krawczysnki and Britt Robson of The Athletic discuss where things stand on the Timberwolves, exploring Anthony Edwards‘ potential, Ricky Rubio‘s future with the franchise, and which areas of the roster most need to be addressed this offseason.
  • Michael Rand of The Star Tribune takes a look at the 15 players under contract with the Timberwolves, considering which ones are part of the team’s future and which ones might not be.
  • While Alex Rodriguez is well-known among sports fans, his business partner – tech entrepreneur Marc Lore – is better known for his ventures outside of sports. Nick Williams of The Star Tribune lays out what Wolves fans should know about the club’s potential co-owner.

Timberwolves Acquire Leandro Bolmaro From Knicks

NOVEMBER 20: The deal is official, according to the Timberwolves. Because Minnesota structured its draft-night trades slightly differently than expected, the trade technically sends Bolmaro’s rights to the Wolves in exchange for Quickley (No. 25), the Pistons’ 2023 second-round pick, and the draft rights to Mathias Lessort.

All of this offseason’s trades to date can be found right here.


NOVEMBER 18: The Knicks selected Argentinian guard Leandro Bolmaro with the No. 23 pick, which they previously acquired from the Jazz, but he’s not going to New York. The Timberwolves are acquiring Bolmaro for the No. 25 and No. 33 selections in the draft, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets.

Bolmaro, 20, is a 6’7” combo guard who played for FC Barcelona last season, though he only averaged 11.6 MPG in 16 games.

The Knicks had originally acquired the 23rd pick from Utah for the No. 27 and 38 selections, so they essentially parlayed those original picks and moved up a few slots in both the first and second rounds. They used the No. 25 pick on Kentucky point guard Immanuel Quickley, the SEC Player of the Year.

With the Timberwolves selecting shooting guard Anthony Edwards with the first pick and acquiring veteran guard Ricky Rubio, they have reshaped their backcourt overnight. Bolmaro would appear to be a developmental selection or possibly a draft-and-stash prospect.

Wolves’ Bolmaro Expected To Remain Overseas For 2020/21

The Timberwolves showed on Wednesday night that they’re high on Argentinian guard Leandro Bolmaro, sending a pair of picks to the Knicks to move up to No. 23 to land him. However, it sounds like Minnesota doesn’t expect Bolmaro to come stateside right away.

John Hollinger of The Athletic indicated in his analysis of the pick that Bolmaro will spend the 2020/21 season with FC Barcelona. A report from Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo said the same, as Alessandro Maggi of Sportando relays.

Assuming Bolmaro does indeed remain with Barcelona for the time being, that doesn’t come as a real surprise. We heard back in August that the 20-year-old was planning to stick with the Spanish club for the ’20/21 campaign, having just recently signed a new three-year contract with the EuroLeague squad. That deal does include NBA outs, so the Wolves won’t necessarily have to wait until 2023 to bring him to Minnesota.

While Wolves fans likely won’t get a chance to see Bolmaro immediately, their roster should feature at least a couple rookies this season, with No. 1 pick Anthony Edwards and No. 28 pick Jaden McDaniels set to sign their first NBA contracts sometime after the new league year begins this weekend.

And-Ones: White, McCullough, Bolmaro, Orlando Reunions

Forward Okaro White has signed with Russia’s BC UNICS Kazan, the team tweets. White played for the Nets’ G League team this season before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. White was waived by the Wizards in December and playing a couple of seasons with the Heat.

We have more from around the basketball world:

  • Another former NBA forward, Chris McCullough, is finalizing an agreement with Lithuania’s Rytas Vilnius, Lithuanian journalist Donatas Urbonas tweets. The Nets drafted McCullough with a late first-round pick in 2015 and he appeared in 59 games, most recently 10 with the Wizards during the 2017/18 season.
  • Argentinian shooting guard Leandro Bolmaro, a potential first-round pick, is planning to stay in Barcelona next season, Dario Skerletic of Sportando relays. His overseas contract doesn’t expire until 2023, though it has NBA outs.  The 6’7” Bolmaro is currently ranked No. 23 by ESPN. Bolmaro’s decision to remain overseas could make him attractive to cost-conscious clubs as a draft-and-stash prospect.
  • The NBA is now allowing select family members to enter the Orlando campus during the second round of the playoffs. That’s a cause for celebration and relief for many players, as Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated details.

Draft Notes: Second Round, Bolmaro, Wizards, Okoro

The NBA previously announced slight changes to its 2020 lottery, with the eight teams left out of the summer restart claiming the top eight spots in the lottery standings based on their records as of March 11 — even if they didn’t have the league’s eight worst records by the time the summer’s seeding games ended this month.

According to Jeremy Woo of SI.com (Twitter link), the league is also tweaking the way the second-round order is determined this season, with picks 31 through 44 assigned to the lottery teams based on their March 11 winning percentages and the remaining picks assigned to the playoff clubs based on their end-of-season records.

As Woo notes (via Twitter), winning percentage would normally dictate the second-round order regardless of whether or not a team made the playoffs. For example, the Magic – who made the playoffs despite finishing behind the Grizzlies and Suns in the overall NBA standings – will get the No. 45 pick this year rather than the No. 43 pick they’d typically receive.

We’ll be publishing the full pre-lottery 2020 draft order this week after the NBA announces its tiebreaker results.

Here’s more on the 2020 NBA draft:

  • Leandro Bolmaro, a guard/forward from Argentina, remains in the 2020 draft pool as an early entrant and ranks 23rd overall on ESPN’s big board. He recently agreed to a new three-year contract with Barcelona, according to the team, but ESPN’s Jonathan Givony suggests (via Twitter) that the deal has NBA outs with an affordable buyout number. The flexibility to potentially stash Bolmaro overseas after drafting him could appeal to some NBA teams, Givony notes.
  • If the Wizards get lucky and win the 2020 draft lottery, Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington believes their choice would come down to Anthony Edwards and James Wiseman. As Hughes observes, Edwards would fit well on the wing alongside Washington’s star guards, while Wiseman’s strengths – rim protecting and rebounding – match the team’s biggest weaknesses.
  • Sam Vecenie of The Athletic polled a series of college coaches about Isaac Okoro‘s NBA upside and received mixed reviews on whether the Auburn forward will be a quality top-five pick. One coach said that Okoro “might have been my favorite guy in the SEC in terms of feeling most confident on his projection,” while another said he views Alabama’s Kira Lewis as a better draft prospect.

Draft Notes: Choh, Lawson, Combine, Bolmaro

Tamenang Choh, a forward from Brown, is withdrawing from the draft and will head back to school for his senior year, coach Mike Martin tells Jeff Goodman of Stadium (Twitter link).

Choh averaged a career-best 13.2 PPG in 27 games last season to go along with 8.1 RPG and 3.3 APG. However, he struggled with his efficiency, making just 39.2% of his shots from the field – including 29.2% from beyond the three-point line – and 65.5% of his free-throw attempts.

Here’s more on the 2020 NBA draft:

  • Following a report from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports (Twitter link) suggesting that South Carolina guard A.J. Lawson will pull out of the draft and return to school, his father Anthony told Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com that A.J. “is still in the draft.” For now, we’re leaving him in the “testing the waters” section of our early entrant tracker.
  • If a draft combine exists in any form this year, the primary objective will likely be to get prospects’ measurements and medicals, says Jeremy Woo of SI.com. The on-court aspect, including drills and scrimmages, would likely be significantly limited, if it happens at all, according to Woo.
  • Spain’s basketball league, the ACB, resumed play in Wednesday. Within his Insider-only breakdown on how that return-to-play will work, Jonathan Givony of ESPN.com identifies five candidates to be drafted in 2020 and 2021 who are playing in the ACB and are worth keeping an eye on, including potential ’20 first-rounder Leandro Bolmaro.

Draft Notes: Jackson, Bolmaro, Atar, Fofana

Marreon Jackson, who had previously declared for the NBA draft, has opted to stay in school for one more year, as he announced on his Twitter feed.

The Toledo guard writes that “COVID-19 has caused a lot of unfortunate complications,” suggesting that the coronavirus situation played a part in his decision. He added that he has received some “great feedback” from the NBA. Jackson averaged 19.8 PPG and 5.4 APG in 32 games (35.3 MPG) last season as a junior.

Here’s more on the upcoming draft:

  • 19-year-old forward Leandro Bolmaro will enter in the 2020 draft, as Emiliano Carchia of Sportando passes along. Bolmaro, who plays in Barcelona, is a candidate to go in the first round, though he’s expected to stay in the draft even if he begins to hear he may fall to round two.
  • Turkish center Berke Atar is entering the 2020 draft, according to Stefan Djordjevic of EuroHoops. Atar finished the 2019/20 season with KK MZT Skopje in Macedonia.
  • Selim Fofana has entered the draft, Nicola Lupo of Sportando relays. The guard averaged 6.9 points per game for Union Neuchatel Basket in Switzerland this past season.

233 Early Entrants Declare For 2019 NBA Draft

The NBA has released the official list of early entrants for the 2019 NBA draft, announcing in a press release that 233 players have filed as early entry candidates. Of those prospects, 175 are from colleges, while 58 are international early entrants.

That number falls just short of the previous record for early entrants, established in 2018. Last year, 236 early entrants declared for the draft, though ultimately only 91 of those prospects remained in the draft by the final deadline.

This year’s total of 233 early entrants also figures to shrink significantly by May 29 and again by June 10, the two key deadlines for players to withdraw their names from the draft pool. But it still looks like that pool will remain crowded, with the eventual number of early entrants almost certainly exceeding 60, the number of picks in the draft.

Our list of early entrants is now up to date and can be found right here. Here are today’s updates:

College underclassmen:

The following players were listed on the NBA’s official breakdown today, but weren’t yet noted on our own list.

The following players reportedly declared for the draft or planned to, but weren’t named in the NBA’s official announcement today. As such, we’ve removed them from our list.

International players:

The following players were listed on the NBA’s official breakdown today, but weren’t yet noted on our list.

The following international players reportedly declared for the draft or planned to, but weren’t named in the NBA’s official announcement today. As such, we’ve removed them from our list.