Giannis Antetokounmpo’s Future In Milwaukee Remains Unsettled
Giannis Antetokounmpo trade rumors have died down in recent weeks, but the two-time MVP hasn’t reached a decision on whether he wants to continue playing for the Bucks, ESPN’s Shams Charania said this morning during an appearance on “Get Up.” (Twitter video link).
“Sources tell me there’s still nothing set in stone about whether Giannis Antetokounmpo will stay in Milwaukee or whether he will be leaving,” Charania said.
There have been past reports that Antetokounmpo might consider leaving Milwaukee to improve his chances of winning at least one more NBA title. Speculation began to grow after the Bucks were eliminated in this first round of this year’s playoffs and star guard Damian Lillard suffered an Achilles tear that’s expected to sideline him for all of next season.
Bucks general manager Jon Horst responded by retooling the team’s roster this summer. He waived and stretched the $112.6MM that Lillard had left on his contract for the next two years and used the newfound cap space to sign center Myles Turner away from the Pacers.
Horst also added Gary Harris, Jericho Sims and Cole Anthony in free agency and re-signed several of the team’s own free agents, such as Bobby Portis, Gary Trent Jr., Kevin Porter Jr., Ryan Rollins and Taurean Prince.
The aggressive move with Turner was viewed as an important step toward convincing Antetokounmpo that the Bucks could remain competitive in the Eastern Conference. Although there hasn’t been much trade talk over the last month, Charania insists that Antetokounmpo’s situation hasn’t been resolved.
“There’s been some very real conversations over the last week or so,” Charania said. “The constant question that Giannis has, though, is can I win a championship with this roster? … He wants to win a second championship, so he’s asking that question over and over.”
He added that there are “multiple teams waiting in the wings” to make offers if Antetokounmpo decides he wants out.
International Notes: Napier, Markkanen, Williams, Birch
After winning a championship and being named 2025 Finals MVP of the German Bundesliga for Bayern Munich, Shabazz Napier is hitting free agency, writes Dario Skerletic of Sportando.
The 34-year-old point guard averaged 10.3 points, 3.2 assists, and 1.1 steals per game while shooting 41.1% on three-pointers during EuroLeague play.
Napier was the 24th pick in the 2014 draft and averaged 7.1 points and 2.5 assists during his six-year NBA career. He split time between the G League and EuroLeague throughout the 2022/23 season, playing 10 games for the Mexico City Capitanes and averaging 22.3 points, 4.7 assists, and 1.9 steals while shooting 47.1% from three before joining Olimpia Milano, where he averaged 15.0 points and 3.9 assists and knocked down 45.6% of his threes.
Since then, he has bounced between Olimpia Milano and Crvena Zvezda before heading to Bayern this past season.
We have more from the world of international hoops:
- Lauri Markkanen will lead Team Finland in EuroBasket as the lone NBA player on the roster, as the team at Eurohoops.net notes. He’s not the only NBA personnel, though, as Jazz assistant Sean Sheldon will serve as an assistant coach. The Finnish team will play Sweden, Great Britain, Montenegro, Lithuania, and Germany in the group stage, which starts on August 27.
- Johnathan Williams III has signed a one-year deal with the London Lions, reports Johnny Askounis of Eurohoops. Williams spent two seasons in the NBA, from 2018-2020, splitting time between the Lakers and Wizards. He spent the previous three years in the Japanese league, playing last year for the Chiba Jets, for whom he averaged 11.8 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 3.1 assists in 17 games.
- In case you missed it, Khem Birch has finalized his contract extension with Fenerbahce. The new deal is for one year as the Turkish powerhouse looks to defend its title. The 32-year-old center was named Finals MVP of the Basketball Super League playoffs last season.
Jack McVeigh Hopes To Continue NBA Journey
Unrestricted free agent Jack McVeigh is actively pursuing options that will keep him in the NBA, reports ESPN’s Olgun Uluc (via Twitter).
McVeigh, who spent last season on a two-way contract with the Rockets, played nine games at the NBA level, as well as 34 games with Houston’s G League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. He averaged 16.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per contest in the NBAGL while making 37% of his three-point attempts.
Last year was the first NBA experience for the 29-year-old, 6’8″ forward from Australia, who had played the previous six years with the Adelaide 36ers and Tasmania JackJumpers before coming stateside.
He played four games with the Rockets’ Summer League team this offseason, averaging 14.0 points and 2.5 rebounds while shooting 45.5% from three in 22.8 minutes per game.
Uluc adds that McVeigh is seriously considering offers to play in Europe as well and that he has received offers from multiple high-level EuroLeague teams.
Uluc also notes (via Twitter) that McVeigh has a strong set of options back in the NBL. The JackJumpers recently relinquished their rights of first refusal, which would allow him to sign with another Australian team if he decides to return home. The Cairns Taipans and Illawara Hawks are expected to be the top two suitors should McVeigh head back to the NBL.
Latest On Knicks’ Offensive Coordinator Search
Hornets assistant Chris Jent is considered a leading candidate to become the Knicks‘ offensive coordinator, according to SiriusXM NBA Radio host Frank Isola (Twitter link).
Ian Begley of SNY, meanwhile, reports (via Twitter) that the Knicks have been in contact with Pacers assistant Mike Weinar. Stefan Bondy of the New York Post confirms (via Twitter) Begley’s report while adding that Weinar is also in consideration for the offensive coordinator role and is considered a strong candidate for the lead assistant job on Mike Brown‘s staff.
Jent is a longtime NBA assistant coach who joined the Hornets in 2024 and guided Charlotte’s Summer League title to a title last month. Prior to arriving in Charlotte, he spent five years on the Hawks’ bench (2017-22) and two seasons with the Lakers (2022-24).
Jent served as the interim head coach for the Magic for the final 18 games of the 2004/05 season. He had a brief playing career in the NBA, which included a three-game stint with the Knicks in 1996.
Weinar, prior to his time with the Pacers, served as an assistant for the Mavericks, having transitioned from a basketball operations role to join the coaching staff. His tenure in Dallas included the club’s 2011 title run.
The Knicks have also reportedly shown interest in Greg St. Jean from the Lakers and Patrick Mutombo from the Grizzlies as they continue to search for candidates to fill out the coaching staff under Mike Brown.
Kings To Add D.J. Ham To Coaching Staff
The Kings are adding D.J. Ham to their coaching staff, reports James Ham (no relation) of The Kings Beat (Twitter link). D.J. Ham will serve as the head of player development under head coach Doug Christie.
The Kings had previously announced Paul Jesperson as the head of player development for the 2025/26 season, but he stepped away from the team last month, per James Ham, so the team is making a new hire for that position.
D.J. Ham previously served as a player development coach and video assistant for the Cavaliers after spending two seasons as an assistant with the Cavaliers’ G League team, the Cleveland Charge. He began his coaching career as an assistant at Northwood University, his alma mater.
Ham is the son of former Lakers’ head coach Darvin Ham, who is currently an assistant coach for the Bucks.
Stein’s Latest: Kuminga, Doncic, Vucevic, Fox, Love
Jonathan Kuminga‘s restricted free agent negotiations with the Warriors continue to be one of the top lingering storylines of the NBA offseason. Following up on recent reports indicating that Kuminga has turned down a two-year, $45MM offer with a team option on the second year, Marc Stein of The Stein Line (Substack link) notes that the team’s request for the forward to waive his implicit no-trade clause is part of the holdup.
A player who re-signs with his previous team on a one-year contract or a two-year deal with a second-year option gets the right to veto trades for the rest of the season, but that right can be waived as part of the contract agreement. Jaxson Hayes, Taurean Prince, and Jeff Green are among several players who have waived their veto rights when re-signing with their respective teams this summer.
A player in that position who consents to a trade – either by waiving his veto rights when he signs or by eventually approving an in-season trade – would lose any form of Bird rights as part of the deal and would have Non-Bird rights at the end of the season.
Aside from the contract negotiations, Stein writes that while Kuminga has returned to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, he is still not expected to play in FIBA’s AfroBasket tournament this summer. No official decision has been announced yet, but it’s unlikely that Kuminga would suit up for the Congolese team if his contract situation remains unresolved.
Here’s more from Stein:
- Much has been made about Luka Doncic‘s three-year max extension with the Lakers and what it means for him and the team’s future, but Stein points out an important detail regarding the timeline of the deal. The contract would allow Doncic to become an unrestricted free agent in 2028 when he has more than eight years of NBA service and four seasons with his current team, which means he would be eligible for a no-trade clause if he were to wait until ’28 free agency to sign a new contract with the Lakers. Stein writes that while Doncic will have technically played three-and-a-half years with the Lakers, he’d still meet the no-trade criteria because he would have finished four seasons with the Lakers, even if he started the first one in Dallas.
- While the offseason buyout market has been particularly active this offseason, Stein cautions fans not to expect Bulls center Nikola Vucevic to join the likes of Bradley Beal and Damian Lillard this summer. He writes that unless a trade materializes in the next couple of months, Vucevic will very likely begin next season in Chicago. There has been speculation that the veteran big man could be a prime mid-season buyout candidate if no deal occurs by February’s trade deadline.
- Spurs guard De’Aaron Fox became eligible on Sunday for a three- or four-year extension that would look like the one Doncic signed in L.A. However, Stein notes that with the rise of reigning Rookie of the Year Stephon Castle and the addition of Dylan Harper with the No. 2 overall pick, there are questions league-wide about whether such a max deal is an automatic decision for San Antonio.
- Kevin Love is actively exploring landing spots in the case of a potential buyout from the Jazz after landing in Utah as a part of the Heat’s trade for Norman Powell, though Stein doesn’t name any possible suitors.
Lakers Notes: Cap Room, Luka, LeBron, Preseason
Even after signing Luka Doncic to a maximum-salary extension, the Lakers are in position carve out maximum cap space for the 2027 offseason, with multiple superstars in position to reach free agency at that time, writes Yossi Gozlan of The Third Apron (Substack link).
Doncic signed a three-year, maximum contract extension on Saturday that could pay him up to $165MM. While Doncic qualified for a five-year, $335.9MM super-max extension as a Maverick, he lost that privilege upon being traded to Los Angeles. His shorter-term deal will enable him to potentially reach free agency in 2028. With 10 years of NBA service at that time, he will qualify for a maximum deal worth 35% of the NBA’s salary cap (up from 30%).
Gozlan observes that Los Angeles could also have significant cap room in 2026. Even if L.A. gives impending guard Austin Reaves a massive raise next offseason and both Deandre Ayton and Marcus Smart pick up their 2026/27 player options, the team will still be able to reach $30MM in available space.
But because there is no superstar-level talent expected to hit free agency next summer, 2027 has been viewed as the Lakers’ target date to maximize their cap flexibility. Both Nikola Jokic and Giannis Antetokounmpo could reach free agency that summer, when they would figure to earn maximum annual deals in the $60MM range.
There’s more out of Los Angeles:
- ESPN’s Dave McMenamin answers some lingering questions for the Lakers in the wake of their new deal with Doncic, including addressing their expectations for the upcoming season. McMenamin indicates that Doncic and L.A. both think the current club can realistically compete for a title in 2026. The team has augmented its 50-win 2024/25 core by adding free agents Ayton, Smart and sharpshooting forward Jake LaRavia this summer.
- With the Lakers seemingly going all-in on the 26-year-old Doncic, Dylan Hernández of The Los Angeles Times wonders how invested L.A. is in the future of 40-year-old All-NBA forward LeBron James.
- The Lakers’ full six-game preseason slate has been revealed, per Khobi Price of The Orange County Register (Twitter link). Los Angeles will tip off against Pacific Division nemeses the Suns and Warriors twice between October 3-14, before wrapping up with a game apiece against the Mavericks and Kings.
Latest On NBA’s Potential European League
The NBA continues to explore creating a new European league, including leadership meetings with potential teams, stakeholders and investors over the past week.
According to Joe Vardon of The Athletic, commissioner Adam Silver, deputy commissioner Mark Tatum and the NBA’s European and Middle East director George Aivazoglou met with Real Madrid on Thursday in Paris about the possibility of the Spanish powerhouse joining the proposed league.
As Vardon writes, Real Madrid currently has a guaranteed spot in the EuroLeague, but its license expires in 2026. Sources tell Vardon that if Real Madrid decides to join the NBA’s new venture, other EuroLeague teams are considered likely to follow.
Real Madrid is the most decorated EuroLeague team in history. Dating back to when the competition was known as the FIBA European Champions Cup, the Spanish club has racked up 11 championships and made the finals a total of 21 times — both league records.
In addition to Real Madrid, Barcelona (Spain), ASVEL Basket (France) and reigning champion Fenerbahce (Turkey) are viewed as EuroLeague teams that might defect to the NBA’s new league, Vardon reports.
Silver and other top NBA executives have met with Alba Berlin as well, Vardon adds. The German club previously competed in the EuroLeague but will be in the Basketball Champions League for 2025/26.
Sources tell Tom Friend of Sports Business Journal that the NBA is “all-in” on the new European league in part because it thinks “EuroLeague franchises are not being run as high-end businesses and have untapped commercial upside” (hat tip to Kurt Helin of NBC Sports).
According to Friend, the NBA is seeking between $500MM and $1B in licensing fees from prospective teams. While some sources have expressed skepticism that the NBA will be able to extract that high a fee, others are more bullish on the league’s chances.
“Look, the FC Barcelonas and the PSGs and the Manchester Citys, they can do [between $500M and $1B],” one source briefed on the NBA’s plan told Friend.
Daniss Jenkins Re-Signs With Pistons On Two-Way Deal
Guard Daniss Jenkins has re-signed with the Pistons on a two-way contract, according to the official transactions log at NBA.com.
The news was first reported by Keith Smith of Spotrac (Twitter link).
Detroit made Jenkins a restricted free agent at the end of June when it tendered him a two-way qualifying offer, which is equivalent to a one-year, two-way deal, with a small portion ($85,300) guaranteed. Jenkins may simply have accepted the QO.
The 6’3″ guard had a well-traveled run through college, playing for the Pacific Tigers, the Iona Gaels and the St. John’s Red Storm. He signed a two-way contract with the Pistons last summer after going undrafted.
While Jenkins’ NBA contributions during his rookie season were very limited – seven appearances for 23 total minutes – he played a significant role with the Pistons’ G League affiliate, the Motor City Cruise, averaging 18.5 points, 6.4 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals in 47 games (35.7 minutes per contest). He posted a shooting line of .427/.331/.768 with the Cruise.
In five games during the Las Vegas Summer League last month, Jenkins thrived, averaging 14.0 PPG, 5.4 APG, 2.6 RPG and 1.0 SPG on .449/.421/.783 shooting in just 22.6 MPG.
Jenkins, who was named to the All-NBA G League Rookie Team in 2024/25, will turn 24 years old in a couple weeks. As our tracker shows, he will fill Detroit’s third and final two-way spot, joining Tolu Smith and Colby Jones.
Jenkins will earn $636,435 in 2025/26, half of the rookie minimum, if he remains under contract through the league-wide guarantee date in January. He is eligible to appear in up to 50 games for the Pistons.
Cavs’ Darius Garland Feels ‘Great’ Following Toe Surgery
Cavaliers point guard Darius Garland hosted his first annual celebrity softball game on Saturday, writes Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com (subscription required). While the two-time All-Star was unable to participate in the festivities beyond taking a few swings in the batting cage and throwing out the first pitch, he provided an encouraging health update.
“I feel great. The recovery process is going well. But I’m here for my foundation,” Garland said. “I’m here to spread some positivity around the city of Cleveland and trying to have a good time. I always loved baseball, so I tried to make it a little bit competitive and kind of friendly as well.
“It’s my first one, so I’m kind of nervous, but I hope it’s going to be really cool and everybody really enjoys themselves.”
Garland, who made his second All-Star team last season, underwent surgery in June to repair the left great toe injury that hampered him in the postseason. He’s expected to miss some time to start the 2025/26 season.
Garland’s name has popped up in trade rumors for the second straight offseason, though things have quieted down considerably of late. The Kings and Suns were reportedly among the teams that expressed interest in the 25-year-old.
According to Fedor, seven members of the Cavaliers — including Garland — were present at the event, with the others being Evan Mobley, Jaylon Tyson, Max Strus, head coach Kenny Atkinson, president of basketball operations Koby Altman, and executive Grant Gilbert. Free agent center Tristan Thompson, who has spent the past two years with Cleveland, also participated.
“This city has embraced me since day one, and this event is a way to give that love back,” Garland said, per Fedor. “It’s more than just a game — it’s a celebration with purpose, supporting the work we’re doing through the Darius Garland Foundation to uplift and empower others in a meaningful way.”
