With free agent news and rumors dominating the headlines over the last week, it's been easy to miss a number of other stories that have flown under the radar. One such story today: The Wizards have hired Don Newman as an assistant coach under Randy Wittman. A longtime NBA assistant coach, Newman has spent the last seven years on the Spurs' bench in San Antonio, and represents a solid hire for Washington.
Here are a few more Monday afternoon odds and ends from around the league….
- Brian T. Smith of the Salt Lake Tribune (Sulia link) proposes two potential sign-and-trade ideas involving C.J. Miles — one in which the Jazz acquire Richard Hamilton and another in which they acquire Jason Richardson.
- In search of a new head coach, the Magic have interviewed Michael Malone and Brian Shaw so far, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. Shaw tells Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel he's playing the "waiting game" as the club continues to interview candidates (Twitter link).
- Paul Flannery of WEEI.com explores the Celtics' interest in Courtney Lee and the team's next step for improving its roster.
- New Hawks GM Danny Ferry has talked to Josh Smith about his short-term and long-term vision for the team after recently agreeing to trade Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, writes Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- In a piece for SI.com, Zach Lowe explores the contracts of Ryan Anderson, George Hill, Jeff Green, and other non-stars who will receive between $6MM and $10MM annually.