Blazers Have Interest In Marcin Gortat

The Trail Blazers have interest in Suns center Marcin Gortat, writes Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic, amidst a report on Phoenix's draft prospects. It's not clear from Coro's piece how recent or how intense Portland's interest in the 29-year-old center is, but Coro speculates that the Suns could be more willing to part with Gortat if they take a big man with the fifth overall pick in Thursday's draft.

Gortat was a trade candidate for much of the past season, and the Suns were reportedly discussing a proposal involving him as part of a package for Josh Smith at the deadline. He stopped short of asking for a trade during 2012/13, but he vented his frustration about the Suns rebuilding process to a reporter in his native Poland. Gortat is set to make $7,727,280 in the final season of his contract this year after turning down an extension last summer.

When I examined Gortat's trade candidacy before the deadline, I figured that if the Suns didn't trade him this past season, they'd revisit the possibility in 2013/14, given his poor fit in the team's rebuilding. The six-year veteran saw many of his numbers decline this year from career highs in 2011/12. 

The Blazers could make sense as a destination, since J.J. Hickson, the incumbent starter at center in Portland, is hitting free agency. Luke Adams of Hoops Rumors, in looking at the Blazers offseason, speculated that the team would go after a veteran center to pair with Meyers Leonard, their first-round pick from 2012.  Phoenix is open to acquiring another first-round pick in this year's draft, and the Blazers are reportedly interested in trading this year's first-rounder, No. 10 overall. Coro believes the Suns could draft a center to replace Gortat with that pick if they acquire it in a deal for Gortat. 

The Suns are taking a best-player-available approach to the No. 5 pick, Coro writes, but the Suns won't take another player at the same position with pick No. 30, he adds. Regardless, new GM Ryan McDonough and company expect to be able to find a player capable of joining their rotation with the final pick of the first round.

Odds & Ends: Billups, Cavs, Felton

Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida spoke with the ClippersChauncey Billups, who said the Pistons might have won consecutive titles after their surprise victory over the Lakers in 2004, if they had drafted more wisely in the acclaimed 2003 draft, in which they picked second. 

Pistons general manager Joe Dumars famously drafted Darko Milicic with their second pick (LeBron James was number one, obviously), and bypassed future stars Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. Milicic was a bust, and doesn't want to return to the NBA after leaving the Celtics in November of last year.

Despite pushing the Spurs to a game 7 in 2005, and making six consecutive Eastern Conference Finals dating from 2002 to 2008, those early- and mid-2000s Pistons teams never again won the title. Said Billups (Sulia link):

If he had drafted either Melo or Bosh, I think maybe that whole team would still be together. We probably would have more championships down the road. But this is the NBA and things happen. But, of course, I always think about that.’’

Dumars took a risk drafting the Serbian Milicic that year, and that's what every general manager is fretting about right now as we come up on the last four days before the 2013 draft. Here's what else is happening around the league before Thursday's action-packed night.  

Western Notes: Mavericks, Clippers, Oberto

We've already mentioned the "draft and stash" philosophy earlier in the night, and that's what Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News thinks the Mavericks might do if they don't trade their 13th pick in this year's draft. He says they're eyeing German point guard Dennis Schroeder if they choose to keep the pick, which has been considered unlikely as they go for broke at another title with Dirk Nowitzki not getting any younger.

Nowitzki would help fellow German Schroeder mesh with the team, and the Mavs are looking for point guard help after Darren Collison failed to inspire a lot of confidence last season when the team missed the playoffs for the first time since the 1999/00 campaign. Schroeder can also be stashed if the Mavs don't feel he's ready to come in and play heavy minutes in the rotation.

Here's what else is happening around the Western Conference on the first Saturday night since the 2012/13 NBA season concluded. 

Bucks Exercise Team Option On Gustavo Ayon

The Bucks have officially exercised their 2013/14 team option on Gustavo Ayon, Hoops Rumors has confirmed. The option is worth $1.5MM and could keep Ayon under contract for one more season before he hits free agency.

Although the Bucks have picked up the option, Ayon's contract remains non-guaranteed, as Mark Deeks details at ShamSports.com. The '13/14 season on Ayon's deal won't become fully guaranteed unless he remains on the roster beyond July 25th, according to Deeks. So this transaction essentially just postpones the team's decision on Ayon by a few weeks.

Ayon, 28, came to Milwaukee as part of the six-player deadline deal that was headlined by the Bucks' acquisition of J.J. Redick. It was the second time the Mexican big man had been moved during the 2012/13 season — he was sent to Orlando last July in exchange for the signed-and-traded Ryan Anderson.

Although Ayon has been relatively productive during his two NBA seasons, he hasn't seen a ton of playing time, averaging 16.7 minutes in 109 career contests. During those games, he has recorded 4.8 PPG, 4.3 RPG, a 15.1 PER, and a .542 FG%.

Draft Rumors: Jazz, McCollum, Bennett

The Jazz have a lot of question marks this summer, but with the 14th, 21st, and 46th picks in what many consider a wild card "down" draft, their chances of landing a quality starter with a high upside leaves a lot to be desired. 

Brad Rock of the Desert News writes about how rare it is to land anyone of merit with the 14th pick in the draft. Sure, there are exceptions, Rock mentions Tim Hardaway's selection by the Warriors with the 14th pick in 1989, but usually there's a dearth of talent in that position, with the pick being "unproductive at worst, respectable at best."

Bill Oram of the Salt Lake Tribune reiterates what Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld wrote in his NBA AM piece: the Jazz will select a point guard, but there aren't a lot of options at their current picks. With few options for a point guard selected in their range, it's unlikely the Jazz will find a difference maker at point guard. When Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey was asked if he would be surprised if the draft came and went without the Jazz selecting a point guard, he said "Not at all."

But Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun said there's a lot of talent at point guard in the late first early second rounds, mentioning Dennis Schroeder, Myck Kabongo, Peyton Siva, Pierre Jackson, Isaiah Canaan, Nate Wolters, and Phil Pressey (Twitter). Here are a few more tidbits from the Jazz and the rest of the league with just five days before the 2013 draft. 

  • Gordon Monson of the Salt Lake Tribune believes the Jazz should move up if they're looking for a difference maker, largely mirroring what his colleague Oram wrote; the Jazz aren't going to land anything special, unless they luck out, if they stay put. 
  • ESPN.com's Chad Ford has a list of the 10 green room invites for ESPN's Thursday draft coverage: Nerlens Noel, Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter, Alex Len, Anthony Bennett, Ben McLemore, Trey Burke, Michael Carter-Williams, Cody ZellerC.J. McCollum.
  • The selections perfectly align with the top 10 in Ford's latest mock draft, but Ford mentions the NBA is likely to add some more green room attendees as we get closer to the big night, and even offers some guesses as to who else will be invited (Twitter). 
  • About one of those confirmed green room invites, John Rohde of the Oklahoman has a piece on how far McCollum has come since he was a middle school phenom in Oklahoma City.
  • Another green room invite, Bennett, visited the Bobcats today, but he couldn't work out, according to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer. Bennett is recovering from surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff on his left shoulder, but he'll be ready to play in August. 
  • Marcus Fuller of the St. Paul Pioneer Press ranks the Timberwolves' 24 years of draft picks–including Kevin Garnett, Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love–in the days preceding their 26th pick in this, their 25th draft anniversary.
  • As the draft approaches, Scott Agyness of Pacers.com writes that University of Kansas 7-footer Jeff Withey (represented by Darren Matsubara) participated in his last predraft workout with the Pacers today.

Cavs’ ‘Draft And Stash’ Candidates, Len Rumors

There are 36 picks, of the available 60, for this Thursday’s draft headed to only a third of the league’s 30 teams, so expect to see a lot of teams looking to “draft and stash” European players, writes Steve Kyler in his NBA AM HoopsWorld post.

Kyler believes that with so many teams holding multiple picks, European prospects with friendly NBA games, who have soft exit language in their contracts, or few contract obligations this summer, could come and play in the NBA’s summer league before returning overseas for a year or two. In the post CBA world, teams enjoy those non-guaranteed contracts for second round picks. 

The Cavs are holding more than just a standard first and second round selection and may draft and stash a couple of those foreigners Currently, they hold the top spot, but also select 19th, 31st and 33rd on Thursday night. Mary Schmitt Boyer of the Cleveland Plain Dealer echoes Kyler's sentiments, and tracks the top foreign prospects for the Cavs. With those four picks, it's possible they draft a couple foreigners to stash for a later date.

Let's look at Boyer's top foreign prospects and the Cavs' top pick, their second in the last three years:

  • Boyer says there's been a lot chatter about Russian 6'7" swingman Sergey Karasev, who played well with BC Triumph over 12 games in the Russian PBL; raw French center Rudy Gobert, who has a standing vertical reach of 9'7" (he's 7'2"), and who blocked a ton of shots at the combine. Plus, Germany's point guard Dennis Schroeder, who wasn't able to compete in the NBA combine because of a toothache, but who played well at the Nike Hoop Summit in April. She also mentioned Brazilian 7-footer, Lucas Nogueira, and Greece's 6'10" forward, Giannis Antetokounmpo.
  • Kyler also wrote about the possibility the Cavs draft Maryland big man Alex Len with the first pick. Len has history with the Cavs' player-development coach Vitaly Potapenko, and both he and Cavs assistant general manager Zydrunas Ilgauskas have been pushing for Len over several others in the field. The Cavs met with Nerlens Noel a couple days ago, but supposedly the rumors about Len hinge on his more developed offensive game and his ability to contribute sooner than Noel, who will be out until at least December recovering from his torn ACL.
  • According to Jason Lloyd of the Akron-Beacon-Journal, second round hopeful Zeke Marshall will work out for the Cavs on Monday. After the Akron center's agent, Dino Pergola, said early in June his client would be working out with a lot of teams, Marshall has shown his stuff during workouts with the Trail Blazers, Pistons, Rockets, Suns, Lakers, Bulls and Pacers

Kings Rumors: Cousins, Evans, Execs, Muhammad

New Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro provided the media with plenty of information today about the issues facing the team as it turns its focus away from ownership and management changes and toward typical NBA offseason business. Jason Jones of The Sacramento Bee passed along several highlights, as we round up here:

  • Dan Fegan, the agent for Kings center DeMarcus Cousins, appears to be going after a maximum-salary extension for his client this summer, and D'Alessandro says he has a good relationship with Fegan and plans to meet with Cousins in person. Fegan has advised Cousins to stay quiet about the Kings, but his silence doesn't mean he wants to be traded, Jones writes.
  • D'Alessandro has already met with soon-to-be restricted free agent Tyreke Evans.
  • Former Nuggets executive Mike Bratz will be D'Alessandro's assistant GM with the Kings, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim, a holdover from the previous regime in Sacramento, is in talks to join them in the front office, as Cowbell Kingdom's Jonathan Santiago tweets. If D'Alessandro had wound up with the Nuggets GM job, he said he would have tried to keep Bratz in Denver and recruit Abdur-Rahim.
  • An ankle injury kept Shabazz Muhammad from working out as scheduled with the Kings today, but he met D'Alessandro for lunch.
  • D'Alessandro also spoke about new scout George McCloud, who worked for D'Alessandro when they were both with the Warriors.

Clippers Have Talked Contract With Scott, Shaw

4:39pm: It’s not clear whether Scott is the front-runner for the job, according to Broussard, whose report includes word from Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com that the Clippers intend to go after Rivers one more time once they have an alternative lined up. Broussard also points to the close relationship between Chris Paul and Scott, who was CP3’s coach in New Orleans. 

4:25pm: The Clippers began contract talks with Scott after his interview Tuesday, and they did the same Wednesday with Shaw, Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times reports. Sources tell Turner that Scott and the Clippers are “getting there, but still talking,” with no agreement in place yet (All Twitter links).

4:01pm: The Clippers initiated discussion Friday night about the financial framework of a contract with coaching candidate Byron Scott, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN.com. The team has not had similar talks with Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins, two of the others that the team considers its primary alternatives to Doc Rivers.

The progress toward an agreement with Scott could signal that the Clippers are finally ready to move on from their pursuit of Rivers, whom the Celtics have been unwilling to release from his contract for the Clips’ offer of a second-round pick. Scott interviewed for the job on Tuesday, and his meeting with owner Donald Sterling went “very well,” Broussard noted earlier this week. Scott reportedly hasn’t interviewed with another team since the Cavs fired him more than two months ago. Scott and the Clippers had preliminary discussions about the job weeks ago.

Scott has been employed as an NBA head coach for at least part of each of the last 13 seasons. He’s 416-521 overall with the Nets, Pelicans (then Hornets) and Cavs. Four of his teams have reached the playoffs, including his back-to-back Finals squads with New Jersey.

If the Clippers hire Scott, Hollins and Shaw could turn to the Nuggets, where both are candidates, as is former Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro. Shaw has also been a candidate for the Sixers job, and the Grizzlies are looking for a new coach as well.

At the end of May, Hoops Rumors readers selected Scott as most likely to land the Clippers job among a field of six choices that didn’t include Rivers. Though much has changed since then, readers may still wind up being correct. 

Draft Rumors: Saturday

The Raptors don't have a pick in either round, but Marc Stein of ESPN.com hears they're trying to acquire a second-rounder, if not a first-round choice, by draft time (Twitter link). That echoes comments that GM Masai Ujiri made in interviews last week indicating his desire to trade for a pick, as Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun points out via Twitter. There are sure to be more rumors about teams exchanging picks in the coming days as one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory approaches. Here's more: 

  • The Blazers posted profiles of today's workout participants on the team website, though Peyton Siva, the first player on the list, sprained an ankle before the audition and didn't take part, as fellow prospect Mike Muscala tells The Oregonian's Joe Freeman (Twitter link). Muscala, Elijah Johnson, Michael Snaer, Chris Evans and Jackie Carmichael were the others in for the workout. 
  • Siva will consult his agent about whether to pull out of his final two scheduled workouts, for the Pacers and Clippers, reports Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com (Twitter link).
  • Muscala will fly to Cleveland, ostensibly to work out for the Cavs, according to his Twitter feed (hat tip to Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune).
  • C.J. Aiken was scheduled to work out Monday for the Sixers, but he'll instead be doing so for the Pistons that day, agent Stephen Pina tells Tom Moore of Phillyburbs.com. It will be Aiken's second audition for Detroit.
  • The Celtics will work out big men Kelly Olynyk and Lucas Nogueira next week, tweets Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald.
  • Carrick Felix set a conditioning run record at a Suns workout today that also included Reggie Bullock, Solomon Hill, James Southerland, Brandon Triche and Elias Harris, notes Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic (All Twitter links).
  • Brandon Paul has worked out for 14 teams, as he details to Sean Deveney of The Sporting News.

Shawne Williams To Work Out For Several Teams

2:29pm: The Nets are in the mix for Williams as well, HoopsWorld's Eric Pincus tweets.

11:57am: Former Knick Shawne Williams will return to New York on Monday to audition for the orange-and-blue, agent Happy Walters told Marc Berman of the New York Post.  The Knicks are trying to add more scoring pop to the roster at the small forward position now that Carmelo Anthony is viewed as their power forward.

Shawne loved his time there,’’ Walters said. “He’ll be the first to tell you. But it is also about where he’d get playing time.’

The Williams camp is concerned because the Knicks found a promising forward in Chris Copeland.  However, Copeland is a free agent and the Knicks may be unable to re-sign him because they would have to dip into their $3.1MM mini mid-level exception to keep him.

There's plenty of competition for Williams, however.  Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni coached Williams in New York and wants him back and has also has scheduled a workout for him.  The Knicks also are competing against the Clippers and the Bulls for his services. 

Williams has had personal troubles in recent years but thrived in New York in 2010/11, averaging 7.1 PPG and 3.7 RPG in 20.7 minutes per contest.  His last NBA season was in 2011/12 with the Nets, where he didn't find the same success.