Chris Duhon Breaks Deal With Italian Team
WEDNESDAY, 8:01am: Duhon has decided to back out of his contract with Juve Caserta, Carchia reports. Since the deal had already gone official, it’s unclear what repercussions the guard will face.
3:44pm: Atripaldi, Caserta’s GM, puts the chances of Duhon playing with the team at 30% in an interview with Prima Rete (transcription via La Reggia Del Basket; translation via Sportando’s Emiliano Carchia).
TUESDAY, 12:06pm: The deal may come apart because of family matters for Duhon, according to Carchia, who says resolution about whether the guard will indeed play in Italy should come within the next few hours (Twitter links).
7:15pm: Juve Caserta has officially announced the Duhon signing, Carchia reports. The team’s GM Marco Atripaldi stated, “We have a deal with Chris Duhon. He will land in Italy next week.”
1:40pm: Duhon’s deal is now official, Carchia reports. Caserta will announce the signing later today, and Duhon will likely join his new club next week sometime.
SATURDAY, 9:11am: Duhon has not yet signed a contract with Caserta but is expected to do so today, a source close to the team tells Emiliano Carchia of Sportando.
FRIDAY, 11:18pm: Chris Duhon has reached an agreement to play with Caserta in Italy, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. Duhon last played in the NBA for the Lakers during the 2012/2013 season. He averaged 2.9 PPG, 1.5 RPG, and 2.9 APG last year over 46 games. Duhon was originally drafted out of Duke in 2004 by the Bulls. He was taken as the ninth pick in the second round. His career averages over nine NBA seasons are 6.5 PPG, 2.3 RPG, and 4.4 APG. He spent his first four years with the Bulls, then spent time with the Knicks and Magic before ending up with the Lakers.
During his last season in L.A., back issues related to a herniated disk slowed him down until he was finally waived by the Lakers. Then in October of 2013 he was involved in a bizarre accident, where a motorist intentionally hit Duhon with his car after the two men had had a verbal altercation. He hit his head on the windshield, and sustained both head and body injuries from the incident.
His agent, Ray Bradbury of BDA Sports was quoted as saying, “Chris is ready to play again and wants to show everyone he’s healthy. This is a great opportunity.”
Odds & Ends: Duncan, Oden, Wizards
ESPN analyst and former coach George Karl hears that Tim Duncan is thinking of retiring at season’s end, notes Dan McCarney of the San Antonio Express-News, but Duncan isn’t sure how Karl got that impression. The Big Fundamental says he’s undecided, as he tells reporters, including Express-News scribe Mike Monroe (Twitter link). Fellow Express-News writer Jeff McDonald would be “shocked” if Duncan retired. The sense around the Spurs is that Duncan will keep playing as long as he feels he’s useful, McDonald says, pointing out that the big man is still under contract for next year (Twitter links). Here’s more from the Association:
- Greg Oden considered a handful of teams last summer, but it came down to a decision between the Mavs and the Heat, tweets Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Most reports have suggested the Wizards are looking for a backup point guard, but Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times hears they’re seeking a backup who can play both guard positions, suggesting Luke Ridnour as a possibility (Twitter link).
- A veteran scout tells Woelfel that he has Creighton forward Doug McDermott No. 6 on his draft board, and Chris Mannix of SI.com examines a polarizing prospect who’s sparked a wide range of opinions in NBA front offices.
- The Cavs had discussions with the Lakers about acquiring Chris Kaman, but those talks are no longer active, notes Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal.
- Free agent Malcolm Lee hasn’t played since December 2012 because of injury, but he’s about two weeks away from being ready to suit up for a team, USA Today’s Sam Amick tweets.
- The Warriors on Tuesday recalled Ognjen Kuzmic from the D-League, the team announced. Kuzmic’s latest stint in Santa Cruz lasted one day.
- Some members of the actors union are upset that executive director David White is a candidate for the same position with the National Basketball Players Association, observes Dave McNary of Variety.com.
- Lionel Hollins explains the root of his raw feelings from the end of his tenure as Grizzlies coach to Mearl Purvis of WHBQ-TV in Memphis.
Central Rumors: Cavaliers, Karasev, Pistons
It’s been a tough season for Cleveland, but Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio suggests that recent strong play from the Cavs might be an indicator that there’s no need for the club to make a move at this season’s trade deadline. The team has won five straight and finds themselves rejuvenated after firing GM Chris Grant earlier this month. Here’s the Central Division’s latest:
- Sergey Karasev joined the Cavs’ D-League affiliate for their game tonight, announced the team via their D-League squad’s official Twitter.
- One league executive believes the Cavs are likely to retain Dion Waiters through the deadline, writes Sean Deveney of Sporting News. While Cleveland might be listening to offers for the second year guard, their asking price is thought to be very high.
- The Pistons have hired Sam Roth as a new assistant coach. Roth has been an assistant with four NBA teams, spending last season with the Raptors. He was also the head coach of the D-League’s Bakersfield Jam.
- Even with questions about how Derrick Rose will bounce back from injury and perform for the Bulls, Rick Telander of the Chicago Sun-Times thinks Joakim Noah‘s presence might be enough to lure Carmelo Anthony to the Windy City.
- Earlier tonight, we passed along the latest Bulls rumors.
Atlantic Rumors: Sixers, Terry, Felton
It might turn out to be a busy deadline for the Sixers, who are trying hard to deal Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young, and Spencer Hawes. Philly GM Sam Hinkie has reportedly contacted every team in the NBA about potential deals involving Turner and Young, reveals Jason Wolf of USA Today Sports. The club wants a first rounder in exchange for any of the three, and Hinkie has apparently yet to find a deal to his liking since each of them is still on the roster. Here’s more on the Sixers and the Atlantic Division:
- The Sixers haven’t been shy about shopping Hawes, and the big man admits that this is the most he’s ever been mentioned in trade talks, passes along Tom Moore of Calkins Media (on Twitter).
- Like Hawes, Young is also aware of speculation regarding potential deals surrounding him and his teammates, and Moore hears that Young would like to stay a member of the Sixers past the deadline (Twitter link)
- Jason Terry is allegedly part of “serious” trade talks between the Nets and Kings, but he says hasn’t talked talked to GM Billy King about the rumors, tweets Rod Boone of Newsday.
- Raymond Felton would like to remain on the Knicks past the deadline, but Al Iannazzone of Newsday writes that Felton understands the NBA is a business and wouldn’t be offended if he was moved. “Whoever I play for, it’s who I play for,” Felton said. “If it’s here, great, I’m going to love it. I love these guys. But if it happens, then it happens. I’m a guy who’s been in the league a long time. That’s part of the business. I understand that.”
- Earlier tonight, we passed along the latest on the Celtics’ Rajon Rondo.
Northwest Notes: Love, Martin, Nuggets, Miller
While most any team would certainly have interest in acquiring Kevin Love, the Timberwolves reportedly have no intention of trading him. Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com tweets that the multitude of clubs seeking the big man’s services will continue to be turned away. Kevin Martin might not be so untouchable however, as Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times hears the sharpshooting two guard might be moved before Thursday’s deadline. Let’s round up the latest from the Northwest Division:
- Given the current state of their franchise, the Timberwolves might be wise to listen to offers for Love, opines Moke Hamilton of Basketball Insiders. Hamilton thinks the T-Wolves should find a taker on Love while his value is as high as it is right now.
- Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman is open to the idea of adding contributors to his team, writes Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press. “Any time you can add players that are going to help you, then you really have to look at it,” Adelman said. “If something gets serious, we’ll find out about it, but right now you have to listen to whatever is going on. It takes two, sometimes three (players), to make a deal.”
- Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post believes that Nuggets rookie coach Brian Shaw has handled the Andre Miller situation correctly. Miller hasn’t played since December, when he publicly disagreed with Shaw’s decision to keep him on the bench during a game. Rumors circulated yesterday about a possible deal that would send Miller to the Timberwolves, but nothing new has surfaced tonight.
- It’s been an exciting season for Thunder fans, as the team finds itself atop the Western Conference heading into the trade deadline. Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman takes a look at how the team should approach the coming days.
- The Thunder have assigned rookie Andre Roberson to their D-League affiliate, the Tulsa 66ers, the team announced in a press release. Roberson has appeared in 22 games for the Thunder this season, averaging 1.6 points and 2.0 rebounds in 7.5 minutes per game.
Latest On Rajon Rondo
Celtics coach Brad Stevens doesn’t foresee drastic changes coming to Boston’s roster any time soon, reports Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com, but that won’t stop speculation from around the league on potential deals about players on his club. Rajon Rondo seems to be at the forefront of the discussion on the teams’ potential trades, so let’s round up the latest regarding the much-discussed point guard:
- We heard earlier tonight that the Raptors were actively pursuing Rondo, but Chris Broussard of ESPN tweets that Rondo wouldn’t have any interest in remaining in Toronto long term. It’s not clear whether or not Rondo’s alleged unwillingness to remain with the Raptors is affecting the clubs’ pursuit, however.
- If a deal is to take place that puts Rondo on the move, league executives know it won’t be until the closing hours before the deadline, according Sam Amick of USA Today (Twitter link).
- As for the notion that Rondo wouldn’t be open to re-signing as a member of the Raptors or Kings, Amick notes (via Twitter) that any club that might acquire him would have 17 months to change his mind before his contract expires. Rondo is signed through the 2014/2015 season.
Amick’s Latest: Rondo, Love, Asik, Ilyasova
Despite the high asking price set by Celtics GM Danny Ainge, Rajon Rondo is still being pursued by several teams, most actively by the Raptors, Knicks, and Kings, writes Sam Amick of USA Today. Ainge is seeking multiple first round picks and a young prospect in exchange for Rondo, and no team has been able to present a deal that meets such a hefty cost. Here’ more from Amick:
- The Timberwolves are willing to listen to offers for any player on their roster besides Kevin Love, says on league executive. It’s a common belief Love will part ways with Minnesota in the summer of 2015 to seek out a deal with the Lakers, and the Wolves want to do everything they can to help prevent such a scenario.
- Omer Asik has been asking for a trade since the Rockets signed Dwight Howard, but Amick hears it’s unlikely the disgruntled big man gets moved this week. It’ll be interesting to see where Asik is come Thursday, since this news contradicts an earlier report stating the Sixers might be in play to land him.
- The Bucks have emerged as a possible “longshot destination” for Asik, as the Rockets would be interested in a swap involving Ersan Ilyasova. The Bucks remain hesitant to take on Asik, who will receive a steep pay increase next season, despite word that Ilyasova is unhappy in Milwaukee.
- Amick reiterates earlier reports that suggest Mike Dunleavy is unlikely to be traded away from the Bulls.
- Jeff Teague might emerge as a fallback option for clubs that are unable to trade for Rondo, as rival executives believe Teague will be available to teams if the price of the package coming their way is high enough.
Knicks, Raptors Show Interest In Kenneth Faried
7:42pm: The Knicks also continue to show interest in Faried, tweets Kennedy. New York is still willing to send off Iman Shumpert in exchange for Faried, but their attempts to create a similar deal earlier this season fell through.
11:28am: Raptors GM Masai Ujiri has expressed interest in Kenneth Faried, whom he drafted for the Nuggets, reports Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders. The Knicks made plays for Faried at multiple points this season, but the Nuggets appeared to hold out for significant draft compensation.
The Nuggets have denied that they’re making Faried available on multiple occasions, but the sense remains that they’d be open to dealing the third-year player. Denver is apparently reluctant to shell out major money for Faried, who’s extension-eligible this summer, unless he improves his defense.
Faried’s playing time down this year amid a crowded front court in Denver. He’s seeing just 24.7 minutes per game, and the 24-year-old’s per-minute numbers aren’t much better than they were last season.
Lakers, Suns To Resume Gasol Trade Talks
Rival executives from around the league believe the Lakers and Suns will likely resume trade discussions that will culminate in a deal that sends Pau Gasol to Phoenix in exchange for Emeka Okafor, according to Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders (via these tweets). Executives believe Gasol is the best player the Suns could receive for Okafor’s expiring, insured contract. Kennedy says it’s expected that Gasol will leave in free agency this summer if he remains with the Lakers, and executives believe LA would like to receive assets for Gasol at the trade deadline rather than letting him walk away this summer for nothing.
Talks between the two teams came to a halt earlier this month because the Suns believed the Lakers’ asking price for Gasol to be too high. Still, discussions were expected to continue through the deadline, and it appears Phoenix may now be under the belief that trading for Gasol might be worth sacrificing one of their potentially four 2014 draft selections.
Like Okafor, Gasol’s contract expires at the end of the season, and there’s no indication either way if he’d remain in Phoenix beyond this year if the Suns were to acquire him. However, Phoenix is fighting for a playoff spot, and acquiring Gasol might help supplement the club as a group that could potentially make some noise this postseason.
Bulls Rumors: Varnado, Dunleavy, ‘Melo
News broke this morning that the Bulls officially signed big man Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract. The shot-blocking specialist is a logical fit for Tom Thibodeau‘s defensive system, and K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune passes along that the coach is happy to have Varnado aboard. “We followed him in college and of course in the D-League, Boston and Miami,” Thibodeau said. “He’s gotten better. He has a lot of the qualities that we’re looking for. We’re excited to have him.” More out of Chicago..
- Mike Dunleavy has been targeted by the Rockets, among other teams, but he seems to be staying put with the Bulls for the time being, tweets Sam Amick of USA Today.
- Chicago has been labeled as possible destination for Carmelo Anthony during this summer’s free agency period, but in order for the Bulls to sign Melo for the salary he’s probably looking for, the club would most likely need to amnesty Carlos Boozer and trade Taj Gibson. Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders examines Anthony’s odds at landing in Chicago compared to a few other cities come this July. Sources tell Kyler it’s highly unlikely the Bulls would meet Anthony’s maximum-salary asking price.
- Speaking of Anthony, Steve Rosenbloom of the Chicago Tribune opines the Bulls would be better off if they avoided signing last year’s scoring leader (subscriber link). Rosenbloom doesn’t think Melo has proven he can succeed as a team’s primary option.
