The Pacers dismissed head coach Frank Vogel this week. “I’ve decided that it’s time for a new voice around here,” team executive Larry Bird said. “… This is one of the toughest things I’ve done.” Bird reiterated that he wants more scoring and that his expectations for the Pacers this season were higher than most. It appeared a philosophical difference had emerged earlier this season when Bird spoke of his desire for more of an up-tempo attack and Vogel’s fondness for a traditional lineup with two big men. Bird noted that he started thinking about making a coaching change around the All-Star break but felt Vogel deserved a chance to finish the season. Vogel tried to talk Bird out of parting ways with him the morning that his dismissal took place, Bird said, conceding that he didn’t meet with Vogel face-to-face, only speaking to him on the phone.
The Pacers went 250-181 in parts of six seasons under Vogel, who inherited the head coaching job, his first in the NBA, when the Pacers fired Jim O’Brien in January 2011. That record doesn’t include Vogel’s 31-30 postseason mark. Indiana made back-to-back conference finals under Vogel’s watch in 2013 and 2014.
Here’s a look back at more of the notable events from around the NBA this past week…
NBA Draft News
- The NBA released the complete list of players who have been invited to the annual scouting combine, which will be held in Chicago from May 11th-15th.
- Notre Dame junior small forward V.J. Beachem.
- Iowa State junior guard Deonte Burton.
- Villanova combo forward Kris Jenkins.
- North Carolina center Kennedy Meeks.
- UConn junior point guard Rodney Purvis.
- Florida State combo guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes.
- Creighton junior point guard Maurice Watson Jr..
- Abdul-Malik Abu has a workout scheduled with the Wolves.
- Josh Adams worked out for the Jazz.
- Ryan Anderson worked out for the Jazz.
- Jaron Blossomgame worked out for the Jazz and Celtics.
- Trevon Bluiett has workouts planned with the Timberwolves and Celtics. He also has a workout on tap with the Pacers.
- Isaiah Briscoe worked out for the Spurs and has workouts planned with the Clippers and Lakers.
- Charles Cooke worked out for the Celtics.
- Matt Costello worked out for the Jazz.
- Vince Edwards worked out for the Wolves and has upcoming workouts scheduled with the Grizzlies and Celtics.
- A.J. English worked out for the Jazz, Spurs and Rockets and has workouts planned with the Bucks, Cavs and Wizards.
- Yogi Ferrell has workouts scheduled with the Lakers and Clippers.
- Dorian Finney-Smith worked out for the Celtics.
- Quincy Ford worked out for the Celtics.
- Trey Freeman worked out for the Jazz.
- Marcus Georges-Hunt worked out for the Celtics.
- Marcus Gilbert worked out for the Jazz.
- Josh Hagins worked out for the Jazz.
- Alex Hamilton worked out for the Jazz.
- Derrick Jones has workouts scheduled with the Nets and Celtics.
- Jalen Jones worked out for the Jazz.
- Jordan Loveridge worked out for the Jazz.
- Sheldon McClellan worked out for the Celtics.
- Alec Peters worked out for the Rockets and Celtics.
- Malik Pope worked out for the Clippers. He also has workouts scheduled with the Celtics and Jazz.
- Ryan Spangler worked out for the Thunder.
- Mike Tobey worked out for the Celtics.
- Thomas Walkup worked out for the Jazz.
- Jameel Warney worked out for the Celtics.
- Andrew White worked out for the Jazz.
- The Nets hired Jacque Vaughn to be the team’s top assistant coach on Kenny Atkinson’s staff.
- John Wall underwent procedures on both knees, but he’s expected to be ready for the start of next season.
- The Jazz signed coach Quin Snyder to a contract extension that carries through the 2020/21 season.
- The Grizzlies named Matt Woodley as the head coach of their D-League affiliate in Iowa.