Bucks To Waive Johnny O’Bryant, Damien Inglis
The Bucks have requested waivers on a pair of forwards, according to Charles F. Gardner of The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, who reports that the team is parting ways with Johnny O’Bryant and Damien Inglis.
Both O’Bryant and Inglis were selected by Milwaukee early in the second round of the 2014 draft, but neither player developed into a major contributor for the Bucks. Of the two, O’Bryant saw the court more often, averaging 13.0 minutes per game in 66 contests last season. He averaged 3.0 PPG, 2.7 RPG, and 0.5 APG. Ingles, meanwhile, made his NBA debut in 2015/16, appearing in 20 games and playing sparingly in those contests.
Both players had been on the Bucks’ books for minimum salaries worth $980,431 in 2016/17. Those salaries were set to become guaranteed later this week if O’Bryant and Inglis had remained on the roster.
By waiving the duo, Milwaukee opens up a couple extra roster spots, and creates a small amount of cap room (less than $1MM in total). Not including this year’s draftees, Thon Maker and Malcolm Brogdon, the Bucks now have eight players under contract for next season, plus a qualifying offer out to RFA Miles Plumlee.
Spurs’ Interest In Mike Conley Overstated?
The Spurs have frequently been cited as one of the primary threats to the division-rival Grizzlies in the Mike Conley sweepstakes, but one “well-placed source” tells ESPN’s Marc Stein (Twitter link) that San Antonio’s interest in Conley has been overstated.
The Spurs are set to make their pitch to Kevin Durant on Saturday, and have been linked to a few other high-profile free agents, including Pau Gasol. Conley has been mentioned as one of those notable free agent targets for San Antonio, but Stein’s source suggests that the veteran point guard is more likely to land elsewhere. The Grizzlies remain the presumptive frontrunners for Conley, but the Mavericks have reportedly made him a priority, and the Rockets and Nets are also said to have interest.
In other Spurs news, Stein reports (via Twitter) that the team has no plans to waive Boris Diaw, whose $7MM salary for 2016/17 is only partially guaranteed. If San Antonio were to cut Diaw today or tomorrow, the team could save $4MM, leaving just $3MM on its cap. But a source tells Stein that the Spurs intend to keep Diaw on their roster, guaranteeing his full salary.
Diaw said earlier this month in an interview with a French outlet that he had been told the Spurs wanted to keep him.
Free Agency Rumors: Knicks, Bazemore, Rivers
New Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek views shooting guard and center as two spots the team needs to address in free agency, but suggested today that center may be the top priority of the two, as Ian Begley of ESPN.com outlines.
One possible free agent target at shooting guard for the Knicks is Kent Bazemore — New York has “heavy interest” in the Atlanta wing, according to Marc Berman of The New York Post. However, Berman cautions that the Knicks may not have the resources to aggressively pursue Bazemore, since he figures to be seeking $16MM+ per year, and New York will have to address multiple positions in free agency. Per Berman’s source, Bazemore isn’t ruling out suitors like the Knicks and Pelicans, but his preference is to re-sign with the Hawks, if possible.
Let’s check in on a few other free agent updates from around the NBA…
- Austin Rivers intends to speak to the Clippers and a few other teams when free agency opens late on Thursday night, says Brad Turner of The Los Angeles Times (Twitter links). According to Turner, Rivers may be seeking an annual salary in the neighborhood of $8MM on his next deal.
- Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer confirms that the Sixers have interest in Dion Waiters, as a Tuesday report suggested, but the team also has some potential concerns about bringing the Philadelphia native home, as Pompey details.
- As we heard late last night, the Celtics are one of the teams to schedule a meeting with Dwight Howard early in the free agent recruiting period. However, Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe (Twitter link) hears that Boston isn’t expected to aggressively pursue Howard — the team is doing its homework, and could make an effort to land the veteran center if the price is right.
- Jason Smith will be among the free agent big men to receive interest from the Timberwolves this offseason, according to Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News, who tweets that Smith will be more of a “fallback-type” option for Minnesota.
Fournier, Plumlee, Frazier Receive Qualifying Offers
If an NBA team intends to turn a player eligible for restricted free agency into a restricted free agent, that team must issue a qualifying offer before the new league year begins on July 1st. Clubs are gradually making those qualifying-offer decisions official, with Evan Fournier among the latest group of players to receive a QO from his team.
The Magic announced today in a press release that they’ve extended a qualifying offer to Fournier. That one-year offer figures to be worth about $4.434MM, a salary the 23-year-old will easily exceed on the open market, either on a new deal with Orlando on an offer sheet from another team. The Magic also confirmed within their press release that they’ve given Dewayne Dedmon a QO, as reported yesterday. The team won’t issue a QO to Andrew Nicholson, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Other players receiving qualifying offers from their respective teams include Miles Plumlee, who got a QO from the Bucks, per Charles F. Gardner of The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Twitter link), and Tim Frazier, who received a QO from the Pelicans, according to RealGM’s transactions log. Plumlee’s offer will be worth about $3.113MM, while Frazier’s will be worth a modest $1.18MM.
A restricted free agent who receives a qualifying offer is welcome to sign that QO and return to his current team on a one-year deal. However, many RFAs will sign offer sheets with another suitor or work out a multiyear agreement with their current team. The club issuing the QO has the right of first refusal, meaning that team can match any offer sheet the RFA signs.
Southeast Rumors: Wizards, Beal, Wade, Horford
As we heard on Tuesday, the Wizards – having conceded that they’re not in the mix for Kevin Durant – have shifted their focus to Ryan Anderson, viewing him as a top free target. ESPN’s Marc Stein follows up on that report today by suggesting that Anderson isn’t the only name near the top of Washington’s wish list. According to Stein (via Twitter), the names that keep coming up as prime targets for the Wizards this offseason are Anderson, Al Horford, and Nicolas Batum.
Stein also adds (in a second tweet) that that the Wizards are expected to “quickly” enter negotiations with Bradley Beal on a new contract, after extending him a qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent. That echoes a May report, which indicated the Wizards won’t waste time in offering Beal a long-term, maximum-salary contract when the new league year opens.
Here’s more from around the Southeast division:
- A Tuesday report suggested that Dwyane Wade is open to talking to teams besides the Heat in free agency, since discussions with Miami haven’t progressed so far. However, a source who spoke to Ira Winderman of The South Florida Sun Sentinel downplayed concerns about those negotiations, confirming that the two sides have indeed had preliminary talks so far.
- With Al Horford‘s free agency just days away, Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution examines the situation, writing that the big man would prefer to stay in Atlanta and re-sign with the Hawks, if the two sides can work out an acceptable contract.
- The Magic announced today in a press release that they’ve finalized Frank Vogel‘s coaching staff, with Chad Forcier, Corliss Williamson, and David Adelman coming aboard as assistants.
- Now that Serge Ibaka is in the mix, the Magic‘s next roster moves will be designed with ensuring that Ibaka wants to re-sign in Orlando when he reaches free agency a year from now, writes Brian Schmitz of The Orlando Sentinel.
Hollis Thompson, Mike Muscala Have Options Exercised
The 76ers have exercised their team option to bring back Hollis Thompson for another season, according to a team release. Similarly, the Hawks have picked up their own team option on Mike Muscala, per Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Thompson, 25, joined the Sixers for the 2013/14 season, and has appeared in at least 71 games in each of the last three seasons, making a total of 81 starts. Although 2015/16 was Thompson’s least efficient season when it came to shooting percentages and attempts, he did establish new career highs in PPG (9.8), RPG (3.5), and some other categories, as a result of his increased role. The three-point-shooting wing will be on Philadelphia’s books for a minimum salary of $1,015,696 for the ’16/17 campaign.
As for Muscala, his option for next season is worth the same as Thompson’s, $1,015,696. The former Bucknell big man, who will turn 25 this Friday, has appeared in 120 games during his three seasons in Atlanta, never averaging more than 12.6 minutes per game in a season. While he likely won’t be a huge part of the club’s plans going forward, he’s an inexpensive frontcourt depth piece.
Both Thompson and Muscala will now be eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2017, assuming they play out their respective contracts.
Jazz Place Trey Burke On Trade Block
The three-way trade between the Hawks, Jazz, and Pacers that will send George Hill to Utah isn’t yet official, but Utah is already making plans to account for the team’s crowded depth chart at the point guard position. According to Marc Stein of ESPN.com (via Twitter), the Jazz have made former ninth overall pick Trey Burke available in trade talks.
When Utah’s acquisition of Hill was first reported, I speculated that the move may push Burke to the trade block, and I was far from the only one, so Stein’s report doesn’t come as a real surprise. If the Jazz can find a taker for the former Michigan star, they’ll likely move forward with Hill as the starting point guard and Dante Exum as his backup. Shelvin Mack, Raul Neto, and second-round draftees Marcus Paige and Tyrone Wallace could all be vying for roster spots and roles as well.
[RELATED: Utah Jazz depth chart at RosterResource.com]
Burke, who entered the league in 2013, was Utah’s primary starter at point guard in his first two seasons, averaging 12.8 points and 5.0 assists per game over the course of 146 contests. However, he struggled with his shot in his first two years in the NBA, making just 37.4% of his field-goal attempts, including 32.4% from beyond the arc.
The Jazz moved Burke into a reserve role in 2015/16, reducing his minutes, and he responded by upping his FG% to 41.3% — he’s also still just 23 years old, so there’s room for further growth. Still, with Exum around, and Hill now in the picture as well, the team doesn’t appear to have Burke in its long-term plans.
If he’s dealt during the 2016/17 league year, Burke’s $3.387MM salary shouldn’t be too difficult for potential suitors to accommodate. He’s eligible for a contract extension this offseason, and could become a restricted free agent in 2017 if he’s not extended.
Stephen Jackson Aiming For NBA Comeback
The Warriors have shown some interest in adding longtime NBA forward Stephen Jackson to their coaching staff, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.com. However, as Stein tweets, Jackson isn’t interested in transitioning into the next phase of his career quite yet — the 38-year-old, who announced his retirement last summer, hopes to find a spot on an NBA roster for this season.
Jackson himself confirmed as much during an appearance on ESPN’s The Jump (video link), suggesting that he “definitely didn’t leave” on his own terms and that he has been working out and keeping himself in shape in the hopes of making a comeback.
Given how long he has been away from the game, Jackson could likely had be had on a minimum-salary contract, which might interest some teams around the NBA. But even though clubs may kick the tires on the former second-round pick, his multiyear absence from the league will give those clubs pause. Jackson hasn’t appeared on the court since January of 2014, and hasn’t had a real rotation role on an NBA team since the 2012/13 season, when he played with the Spurs.
Over the course of his 14 NBA seasons, Jackson averaged 15.1 points per game in 858 regular-season contests, and appeared in another 72 playoff games. He was also a member of the Spurs squad that won the Finals at the end of the 2002/03 season. However, Jackson’s numbers dipped significantly near the end of his career — in his last three seasons, he averaged 7.4 PPG with a .369 FG% in 111 games with the Bucks, Spurs, and Clippers.
Blazers Extend QOs To Crabbe, Leonard, Harkless
The Trail Blazers have ensured that their three players eligible for restricted free agents will indeed becomes RFAs when July begins. According to Jason Quick of CSNNW.com, Portland has issued qualifying offers to Allen Crabbe, Meyers Leonard, and Maurice Harkless, giving the team the right of first refusal on all three players.
Of the trio, Crabbe appears poised to cash in with the biggest deal this summer, after a breakout 2015/16 season that saw him set new career highs in PPG (10.3), FG% (.459), and several other categories, while shooting 39.3% on 3.5 three-point attempts per game. Three-and-D wings like Crabbe – whose qualifying offer is worth $2.725MM – should do well on the open market this year, so it’s no surprise that he’s drawing interest from several teams already.
Ian Begley of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter) that the 76ers, Nets, and Kings are among the teams with interest in Crabbe. If he signs an offer sheet with one of those clubs, or another suitor, the Blazers will have the opportunity to match it and bring him back.
The same can be said about Leonard and Harkless, who each receive qualifying offers exceeding $4MM. They’ll have the option of simply signing the QO (which is essentially a one-year contract offer), working out a new contract with the Blazers, or signing an offer sheet elsewhere, which Portland could match.
Both players were solid rotation pieces for the Blazers in 2015/16, though Harkless continued to struggle to shoot from outside, while Leonard’s increased usage came with a career-worst .448 FG%. Of course, Leonard’s dip in field goal percentage was partly the result of an uptick in three-point attempts (3.7 per game), on which he shot 37.7%. His ability to make outside shots and grab boards should generate plenty of interest around the league.
Dwight Howard Lines Up Meetings With Hawks, C’s
Dwight Howard has begun to formally schedule meetings with potential suitors, according to Marc Stein and Chris Broussard of ESPN.com, who report that the free agent center is set to meet with the Hawks and the Celtics when the recruiting period gets underway. Howard will likely meet with as many as five teams, with the Heat among the other teams to show “preliminary interest,” per the ESPN duo.
Howard, 30, declined his 2016/17 player option with the Rockets, opting to hit the open market in July instead. Howard would have earned more than $23MM had he exercised his option, and while it remains to be seen if he’ll match that ’16/17 figure on his new deal, there’s no shortage of teams with interest, and the eight-time All-Star should have no problem landing a multiyear contract.
Stein reported on Tuesday that Atlanta would seriously consider Howard as a free agent target if the team was unable to wedge its way into the Kevin Durant sweepstakes. According to Stein, the Hawks would go after Howard with the idea of playing him alongside Al Horford in their frontcourt. Of course, Horford himself is a free-agent-to-be and he’s not a lock to re-sign with the Hawks, so Howard could also represent a viable replacement at center for Atlanta.
As for the Celtics, they have a ton of cap room and have been linked to a handful of free agent centers, including Horford and Hassan Whiteside. The Heat, meanwhile, could enter the Howard derby if Whiteside departs in free agency.
Besides Atlanta, Boston, and Miami, some of the teams that have been mentioned as possible suitors for Howard this summer include the Bucks, the Trail Blazers, the Hornets, the Knicks, and even the Rockets, who reportedly tried to encourage D12 to opt in for 2016/17. However, Stein and Broussard indicate a reunion between Howard and the Rockets is unlikely.
Howard’s time in Houston probably can’t be considered a huge success, despite the fact that the Rockets made the Western Conference Finals in his second year with the franchise. The former first overall pick was never really a perfect complement for star shooting guard James Harden, and saw his involvement in the team’s offense decline during the past two seasons. Howard made 71 appearances for the Rockets in 2015/16, averaging 13.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.63 blocks in 32.1 minutes per game. He shot 62% from the field, but just 48.9% from the free-throw line.
