Pistons Hosting Free-Agent Mini-Camp
While most NBA teams are spending their time hosting pre-draft workouts for draft-eligible prospects, the Pistons are concentrating their energy on the free agent market already, holding a free-agent minicamp today for multiple NBA hopefuls and a few former NBA players.
Bereft of a first round selection in the 2018 NBA Draft as a result of the club’s mid-season trade for Blake Griffin, the Pistons are surely hoping to get a jump start on the competition for the services of some lesser known free agents this summer.
Keith Langlois of Pistons.com provides a look at the minicamp roster, with the most well-known name having to be former No. 2 overall pick, Derrick Williams, who holds career averages of 8.9 PPG and 4.0 RPG in 428 career contests.
Other invitees with NBA experience include Williams’ former teammate with the Cavs during the 2016/17 season, Jordan McRae, as well as five-year veteran John Jenkins, the No. 40 overall selection in the 2016 NBA Draft – Diamond Stone, and a 10-day contract recipient from this past season – Marcus Thornton.
Andre Iguodala Will Play In Game 3
JUNE 6, 6:59pm: Iguodala will play in Game 3 tonight, per Haynes.
JUNE 6, 6:26pm: Per Chris Haynes of ESPN, Iguodala will participate in pre-game warm ups before determining if he’s able to give it a go in Game 3.
JUNE 6, 11:57am: Iguodala will be a game-time decision for Game 3, Kerr said today (Twitter link via Mark Medina of The San Jose Mercury News). It sounds more likely than not that Iguodala will play, with Kerr suggesting it’s “leaning in the right direction” (Twitter link via Slater).
JUNE 5, 12:40pm: Iguodala has been upgraded to questionable for Game 3, Steve Kerr told reporters today, including Anthony Slater of The Athletic (Twitter link). If he can’t play on Wednesday, Iguodala would target a Game 4 return.
JUNE 4, 12:26pm: Already holding a 2-0 lead over the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals, the Warriors may soon re-add a key piece to their lineup. According to ESPN’s Chris Haynes, Andre Iguodala‘s injured left knee has been pain-free over the last few days, and the veteran forward intends to return sometime during the Finals.
Iguodala, who has been battling a bone bruise in his left knee, hasn’t played for Golden State since Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals against Houston. However, he went through a full workout on Saturday, sprinting for the first time since sustaining the injury, sources tell Haynes. While Iguodala’s status for Game 3 remains up in the air, he hopes to play in that contest.
“I aim to play in Game 3, but I’ve aimed to play in Game 2 and Game 3,” Iguodala told ESPN. “We’ll just have to see.”
Although the Warriors haven’t needed Iguodala to pull out wins in the first two games of the NBA Finals, the Cavaliers have played much better on their home court during the postseason, so the Dubs would love to have Iguodala back in their rotation as the series heads to Cleveland.
If he’s healthy enough to play, Iguodala would be tasked with helping to slow down LeBron James, who is averaging 40.0 PPG, 10.5 APG, and 8.5 RPG so far in the Finals.
Northwest Notes: Jazz, Favors, Craig, Jenkins
As previously reported, IMG Academy guard Anfernee Simons is scheduled for a workout with the Jazz tomorrow. We now know the other prospects who will be joining him, thanks to an official release from the team.
In addition to Simons, the Jazz will host other potential first round selections Tulane swingman Melvin Frazier and French point guard Elie Okobo. ESPN’s Jonathan Givony has Frazier coming off the board to Atlanta at No. 34 in his latest mock draft, while he fittingly has Okobo being selected by Utah with the team’s first-round selection at No. 21 overall.
In addition to Okobo, Frazier, and Simons, the Jazz will also play host to workouts from Arizona guard Rawle Alkins and two seniors from the state of Ohio – Ohio State’s Jae’Sean Tate and Davidson’s Peyton Aldridge.
There’s more out of the Northwest Division this evening:
- Speaking of the Jazz, free-agent-to-be Derrick Favors may very well return to Utah, as he would reportedly prefer, but as opined by Frank Urbina of HoopsHype, three other potential landing spots include the Wizards, Bucks, and Warriors, all of whom could offer Favors their mid-level exception.
- After spending the 2017/18 season on a two-way contract with the Nuggets, guard Torrey Craig is receiving interest from other NBA teams this offseason, per Sportando. Craig, 27, started five games for Denver this past season, averaging 4.2 points in 16.1 minutes per game.
- Former NBA guard John Jenkins, who spent this season with the San Pablo Burgos of the Spanish Liga ACB, will attend a free-agent minicamp with the Trail Blazers, per Nicola Lupo of Sportando. Jenkins, 27, played 145 games in the NBA in five seasons from 2012 to 2017.
Atlantic Notes: Raptors, Atkinson, Sixers, Celtics, Sullivan
After a record-breaking regular season, the Raptors once again laid an egg in the postseason, leading to the firing of Coach of the Year candidate Dwane Casey. Now, barring any trades, the team is faced with a potential luxury tax issue with a roster that cannot seem to compete in the weaker Eastern Conference come playoff time.
Eric Koreen of The Athletic takes an in-depth look at the luxury tax concerns for Toronto, focusing on who the Raptors could afford to surrender in order to get under the tax threshold while also remaining competitive.
Koreen opines that in a perfect world, the Raptors would probably love to unload one or both of the contracts of Serge Ibaka and Norman Powell, who are scheduled to make over $21.6MM and $9.3MM next season, respectively.
More realistically, the club may decide to let young guard Fred VanVleet sign somewhere else instead of matching what is expected to be an offer in the $7.5MM per season range. Koreen also explores the possibility of moving on from big man Jonas Valanciunas or the player the Raptors used their MLE on last summer – C.J. Miles.
There’s more from the Atlantic Division:
- The Nets have been relatively uncompetitive for the last three seasons, but head coach Kenny Atkinson expects significant growth next season, reports Brian Lewis of the New York Post. The Nets have limited cap space and traded away their own first-round pick in this month’s NBA Draft, so Atkinson will need to rely on his reputed prowess as a player developer if the Nets hope to show meaningful improvement.
- Regardless of whether or not the Sixers succeed in signing a superstar free agent this offseason, the team will need to make sure to also sign both a guard with long-range shooting ability who is capable of guarding opposing point guards (e.g. Patrick Beverley) and a backup center capable of protecting the rim when Joel Embiid isn’t on the court, per David Murphy of The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- The Celtics‘ first selection in the upcoming draft, barring a trade, isn’t until pick No. 27, but according to A. Sherrod Blakely of NBC Sports Boston, the team can still add some quality wing depth with versatile players such as Gary Trent Jr. or Josh Okogie, both of whom are likely to be available towards the end of the first round.
- Per Ian Begley of ESPN, former Clippers’ assistant coach Pat Sullivan will join the Knicks staff as an assistant for new head coach David Fizdale. Sullivan, a New Jersey native, worked as an assistant coach for the Pistons when Knicks’ GM Scott Perry was an executive with the team.
Eastern Draft Notes: Sixers, Bulls, Diallo, Raptors
The Sixers, who hold the 10th and 26th picks in the 2018 NBA draft, continue to take a closer look at potential early- and late-first-round picks. According to Michael Scotto of The Athletic (Twitter links), Philadelphia will have an interesting pair of prospects participating in a group workout next Monday when they bring in Miami guard Lonnie Walker and MSU forward Miles Bridges. Both players are considered potential lottery selections, making them options at No. 10.
Duke’s Grayson Allen, a possible candidate for the No. 26 pick, participated in a workout today for the Sixers, notes Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer. However, Allen – who will also work out for the Celtics on Friday, per Steve Bulpett of The Boston Herald (Twitter link) – wasn’t the most notable person present at the session.
According to Pompey, embattled president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo was in attendance at today’s workout. While that doesn’t mean that the Sixers have made a decision one way or the other on Colangelo’s future, it certainly doesn’t seem like bad news for him.
Here’s more on pre-draft workouts from around the Eastern Conference:
- Miles Bridges (MSU), Donte DiVincenzo (Villanova), De’Anthony Melton (USC), Keita Bates-Diop (Ohio State), and Kaiser Gates (Xavier) worked out for the Bulls today, according to the team. Lonnie Walker, whose workout with Chicago was previously reported, was also present.
- Hamidou Diallo, a Queens native, will stick close to home for this weekend’s workouts, according to Sean Deveney of The Sporting News, who tweets that the Kentucky prospect works out for the Nets on Friday and Knicks on Saturday.
- Notre Dame guard Matt Farrell has a couple more pre-draft workouts coming up, with a Bulls audition scheduled for Friday and the Hornets sometime next week, tweets Josh Newman of The Asbury Park Press.
- Although the Raptors don’t have any picks in this year’s draft, they continue to hold workouts with an eye on potential undrafted prospects. Today’s session featured Andrew Rowsey (Marquette), Kassius Robertson (Missouri), Darius Thompson (Western Kentucky), Jacobi Boykins (Louisiana Tech), Cameron Reynolds (Tulane), and Justin Tillman (VCU), according to the club (Twitter link).
Five Key Offseason Questions: Charlotte Hornets
After oscillating between lottery appearances and first-round playoff exits during Steve Clifford‘s first four years in Charlotte, the Hornets endured a second consecutive 36-46 season in 2017/18, resulting in Clifford’s ouster. The latest uninspiring stretch for the franchise, which hasn’t won a postseason series since being reborn in 2004, also resulted in the dismissal of general manager Rich Cho.
With Cho and Clifford out, former Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has taken over the basketball operations department, hiring Spurs assistant James Borrego as the Hornets’ new head coach. Despite the changes in the front office and on the bench, 11 of Charlotte’s 14 players from 2017/18 – including the club’s top nine highest-paid veterans – have guaranteed contracts for next season, creating uncertainty about how much the actual roster will change.
Here are five key questions facing the franchise this summer:
1. Will the Hornets trade Kemba Walker?
Walker’s name surfaced in a number of rumors prior to the trade deadline, and it wasn’t simply baseless speculation. Hornets owner Michael Jordan confirmed that the club was listening to inquiries on its star point guard, though he cautioned that Charlotte wasn’t shopping Walker and said the price would be high.
The Hornets’ front office has undergone some changes since then, but Jordan will still be the one signing off on roster decisions and he sounds willing to approve a deal if Kupchak decides to go in that direction. Still, moving Walker for a fair return won’t be easy. The former UConn star has just one year left on his current contract, so any team interested in acquiring him would have to be pretty confident that he’d be willing to re-up.
Charlotte also reportedly has somewhat conflicting goals in a Walker trade. Jordan stated that the team would only move its point guard for an All-Star caliber player, but attaching an unwanted contract to Walker also represents the club’s best chance to dump salary. It’s unlikely that the team would be able to simultaneously achieve both goals.
2. How can the Hornets reduce team salary?
In Nicolas Batum ($24MM cap hit for 2018/19), Dwight Howard ($23.82MM), Marvin Williams ($14.09MM), Cody Zeller ($13.53MM), and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist ($13MM), the Hornets have five veterans who will earn more than Walker next season, and all of them except for Howard remain under contract for multiple years.
With those five players totaling more than $88MM on next year’s cap and providing modest production, the Hornets are hamstrung when it comes to upgrading their roster. Attaching one or two of those players to Walker in a trade would help Charlotte create a little financial flexibility and kick-start a rebuild, but if Walker isn’t moved, it’s not clear how the team can get out from under any of those contracts without attaching another asset.
If the Hornets simply want to create a little more breathing room below the tax line and cut costs slightly, Jeremy Lamb is probably the most realistic trade candidate. Lamb is entering a contract year and is more affordable ($7.49MM) than many of his teammates. He’s also coming off his best NBA season (12.9 PPG, .370 3PT%), meaning Charlotte could actually ask for a draft pick in a trade involving him, rather than having to surrender one.
Suns Host Deandre Ayton For Workout
2:24pm: Speaking today to reporters, including Scott Bordow of The Arizona Republic (Twitter link), Ayton said that the Suns workout is the only one on his schedule. Bordow (Twitter link) believes that’s a strong sign that Phoenix will take Ayton first overall, and the young center agrees, telling reporters that he “knows” he’s going No. 1 (link via Bob Baum of The Associated Press).
For his part, GM Ryan McDonough had nothing but praise for the former Arizona star.
“We’ve been looking for a center to kind of anchor our team offensively and defensively,” McDonough said, per Bordow (Twitter link). “We think Deandre has that kind of potential.”
8:31am: The frontrunner to be picked first overall in this year’s draft will work out for the team holding the No. 1 pick on Wednesday. According to a press release, the Suns are hosting Arizona big man Deandre Ayton for an individual workout.
Ayton isn’t an absolute lock to be Phoenix’s pick at No. 1 on June 21 — the club has said it’s considering a “handful” of players with that selection. Still, the 19-year-old center is the odds-on favorite to come off the board first, with ESPN’s Jonathan Givony writing in his latest mock draft that the Suns “appear to be locked into Ayton.”
In his first and only season with the Wildcats, Ayton averaged a double-double, posting 20.1 PPG and 11.6 RPG to go along with 1.9 BPG. He also shot 61.2% from the field and even made the occasional three-pointer (34.3%).
Unlike Ayton, Luka Doncic – another strong candidate for that No. 1 spot – won’t work out for NBA teams this month, since he’s still participating in the ACB postseason in Europe with Real Madrid. While the Suns won’t get a first-hand look at Doncic leading up to the draft, new head coach Igor Kokoskov knows him well, having coached the youngster on the Slovenian national team.
It remains unclear whether Ayton, as 2018’s potential top pick, will work out with any teams beyond the Suns.
Kenny Smith Still In Running For Pistons’ HC Job
The Pistons‘ list of finalists for their head coaching position lost one name on Wednesday when John Beilein announced that he’ll remain at the University of Michigan, but another name has emerged, according to Marc Stein of The New York Times. Stein reports (via Twitter) that TNT’s Kenny Smith is in Detroit’s top tier of candidates and is meeting with owner Tom Gores.
Dwane Casey remains the leading candidate to replace Stan Van Gundy as the Pistons’ head coach, according to Stein, and Spurs assistant Ime Udoka is still in the mix too. However, the club is “intrigued” by Smith’s candidacy after interviewing him last week, and hasn’t ruled him out yet, Stein tweets.
Smith, who was a player in the NBA from 1987 to 1997 and has now been with Turner Sports for two decades, doesn’t have any NBA coaching experience. However, this is the second time this spring that a team has considered him for a head coaching job. Smith also met with the Knicks about their coaching vacancy before they hired David Fizdale.
Gores reportedly met with Casey on Tuesday and Udoka today. It’s not clear when the Pistons will sit down with Smith. Beilein met with Gores back in May, but withdrew from consideration for Detroit’s head coaching job and has reportedly agreed to a new deal with the Wolverines.
Central Rumors: Bulls, Pacers, McMillan, Cavs
Although the Bulls could have the opportunity to open up a sizable amount of cap room this summer, there has been a sense that the team doesn’t intend to make a big splash in 2018. Chicago is still in its rebuilding stage and isn’t ready to contend quite yet, so saving that cap space for a future offseason makes more sense.
Nonetheless, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski suggested during a Tuesday TV appearance that the Bulls could be “sneaky” in free agency (video link via Rob Lopez of DefPenHoops). According to Wojnarowski, Chicago’s young core is attractive to players around the league, and the team may be accelerating its rebuild.
While the Bulls aren’t likely to make a play for a top veteran free agent like LeBron James or Paul George, they could be worth watching on the restricted free agent market for a player who better fits their timeline, tweets Mark Schanowski of NBC Sports Chicago.
Here’s more from around the Central:
- During his appearance on ESPN on Tuesday night, Wojnarowski also suggested that the Pacers may discuss an extension for head coach Nate McMillan this summer (Twitter link via Sagar Trika). McMillan reportedly signed a three-year contract when he joined the team in 2016, so he’d be entering the final year of his deal if there’s no new agreement in place.
- The Pacers are holding their first pre-draft workout of 2018 on Thursday, according to a team release. Indiana will take a first-hand look at Jaylen Adams (St. Bonaventure), Marcus Foster (Creighton), Nick King (Middle Tennessee State), Yante Maten (Georgia), Brandon McCoy (UNLV), and Landry Shamet (Wichita State).
- While Villanova wing Mikal Bridges won’t visit the Cavaliers for an audition, Cleveland’s front office attended an earlier workout for Bridges hosted by agent Rich Paul, per Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com.
- Former Grizzlies executive Ed Stefanski, recently hired by the Pistons as a special advisor, spoke to Keith Langlois of Pistons.com about his six-hour interview with team owner Tom Gores.
Popovich, Leonard Expected To Meet Before Draft
After a tumultuous season in San Antonio, Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich and star forward Kawhi Leonard are expected to sit down and talk sometime before the draft on June 21, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski said during a TV appearance on Tuesday (video link via Rob Lopez of DefPenHoops).
According to Wojnarowski, the Spurs will be looking to repair the relationship between Leonard and the organization. The two sides were at odds during the 2017/18 season as Leonard opted to listen to the advice of outside doctors rather than the Spurs’ medical staff, resulting in him missing all but nine games due to a nagging quadriceps injury.
While Leonard’s teammates have publicly supported him, Wojnarowski suggests that the 26-year-old may have to mend some fences on that front too. Meanwhile, the Spurs will have to decide whether or not to put a long-term, super-max extension offer on the table.
If San Antonio doesn’t offer Leonard a new contract this summer, trade speculation could heat up. For now though, despite interest from teams around the NBA, the Spurs aren’t entertaining the possibility of discussing a deal, says Wojnarowski.

