Jazz Sign Trevon Bluiett To Camp Deal
DECEMBER 11: The signing is official, according to a team press release.
NOVEMBER 30: The Jazz are bringing back Trevon Bluiett on an Exhibit 10 deal, Ian Begley of SNY TV tweets.
Blueitt was with the club in training camp prior to last season but got waived. He’ll likely wind up with G League’ Salt Lake City Stars if his longshot bid to make the opening night roster doesn’t pan out.
The 26-year-old swingman played for the Stars last season. He saw action in 41 G League games, averaging 14.9 PPG.
Bluiett spent the previous season with the Pelicans on a two-way contract.
Nuggets Promote Wes Unseld Jr. To Associate Head Coach
The Nuggets have promoted Wes Unseld Jr. to associate head coach, according to a team press release.
Unseld begins his sixth season with the Nuggets coaching staff and will continue to oversee the defensive game plans.
He interviewed for the Rockets’ head coaching job this offseason. Houston wound up hiring Mavericks assistant Stephen Silas. He was also a candidate for the Bulls’ coaching vacancy, which was filled by Billy Donovan.
“Wes is extremely deserving of this promotion. He is one of the hardest working people I’ve come across in this league and he has been an integral part of my coaching staff since we both arrived in Denver in 2015,” Nuggets head coach Michael Malone said in a statement. “I’ve said many times over the years that Wes is ready and deserving of a head coaching position in the NBA and it’s only a matter of time until that day comes.”
Prior to joining the Nuggets, Unseld spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the Magic. He has also spent time in the Warriors and Wizards organizations.
And-Ones: Fans In Arenas, W. Chandler, 2021 Draft, More
For the time being, only five teams – the Jazz, Pelicans, Magic, Rockets, and Grizzlies – are continuing with their plans to have some fans in arenas when the regular season begins, sources tell David Aldridge of The Athletic.
The Mavericks and Heat each confirmed today that they won’t have fans for their preseason games, per Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News (Twitter link) and Anthony Chiang of The Miami Herald. Miami also won’t host fans for its Christmas Day game, as Chiang notes.
Here are a few more odds and ends from around the basketball world:
- The NBA intends to administer a daily point-of-care, rapid coronavirus testing system for the 2020/21 season, according to Shams Charania and Fred Katz of The Athletic (Twitter links). Those tests would return results within 30 minutes in teams’ home markets and within 90 minutes on the road. In the event of invalid results, the player would undergo another rapid test at least 30 minutes after the first one and could participate in team activities while awaiting the result, sources tell The Athletic.
- Veteran forward Wilson Chandler is expected to leave Zhejiang Guangsha, his team in China, a source tells Sportando. Chandler, who finished the 2019/20 season with Brooklyn, signed to play in the Chinese Basketball Association in the fall. It’s unclear whether or not his reported exit is related to an NBA opportunity.
- ESPN’s Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz have published their first list of the top 100 prospects for the 2021 NBA draft. Oklahoma State point guard Cade Cunningham leads the way, followed by USC’s Evan Mobley and Jalen Green of the G League Ignite.
- Speaking of Green and the Ignite, they’re scheduled to scrimmage on December 15 and 17 against a group of veteran G Leaguers, according to Givony (all Twitter links). It’s unclear whether or not those games will be streamed, but NBA teams will get access to the film, according to Givony, who says Isaiah Briscoe, Tariq Owens, and Bryce Alford will be among the vets scrimmaging against the Ignite.
Knicks Release Skal Labissiere
As expected, the Knicks have waived big man Skal Labissiere after signing him earlier this week, the team announced today (via Twitter).
When word of Labissiere’s agreement with New York broke, reports indicated that the plan was for him to eventually join the Westchester Knicks in the G League. Signing him to an Exhibit 10 contract ensured that the Knicks secured his NBAGL rights and should line him up for a $50K bonus.
Labissiere, 24, played 33 games for the Trail Blazers last season, averaging 5.8 PPG and 5.1 RPG in 17.2 MPG. He suffered a knee injury in December and never suited up for Atlanta after the Hawks acquired him in a trade deadline deal. He became an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.
The Knicks now have an open spot on their 20-man camp roster, clearing a path for them to sign either James Young or Andrew White, both of whom have also agreed to Exhibit 10 deals.
Suns Notes: Crowder, Arena, Payne, Roster
Jae Crowder‘s arrival at training camp was delayed by personal issues apparently unrelated to COVID-19, but the Suns forward has reported to his new team and said this week that he’s “looking forward to moving forward,” writes Duane Rankin of The Arizona Republic.
Crowder was one of the most popular free agents on the market last month, telling reporters that 14 teams expressed interest in signing him (video link via Rankin). He cited recruiting from Chris Paul and Devin Booker as a significant factor in his decision to choose Phoenix.
“Those guys made a strong pitch and I felt like Devin is ready for real pressure,” Crowder said. “When I say real pressure, that’s playoff basketball. Playing for it all.”
Here’s more out of Phoenix:
- The Suns announced in a press release on Thursday that they won’t host fans at their home games to start the 2020/21 season, a decision that “did not come easily,” per team president/CEO Jason Rowley. “Our fans are the lifeblood of the Suns organization, and we want nothing more than to welcome our fans into our newly transformed arena in Downtown Phoenix,” Rowley said in a statement. “… However, we are exercising an abundance of caution and doing our part to maintain the health and safety of all our stakeholders during this crisis.”
- Cameron Payne was a regular part of the Suns’ rotation during the team’s 8-0 run during the summer restart. Given the changes the roster has undergone since then, he’s looking to reestablish himself as a key contributor going forward, writes Duane Rankin for The Arizona Republic.
- Gina Mizell of Suns.com takes a look back at the Suns’ offseason moves, writing that the front office was able to add veterans with playoff experience, as well as improving the team’s depth and outside shooting.
- In case you missed it, despite being hired in 2019, Monty Williams already ranks near the middle of the pack on the list of the NBA’s longest-tenured head coaches.
Nets Waive Jordan Bowden, Nate Sestina
The Nets have requested waivers on a pair of training camp invitees, announcing today in a press release that they’ve cut guard Jordan Bowden and forward Nate Sestina.
Bowden, who played his college ball at Tennessee, averaged 13.7 PPG, 4.0 RPG, and 2.7 APG in 31 games (34.4 MPG) as a senior in 2019/20. Sestina, who transfered from Bucknell to Kentucky for the 2019/20 season, had a modest role for the Wildcats, recording 5.8 PPG and 3.8 RPG with a .407 3PT% in 28 games (19.8 MPG). Both players signed with Brooklyn on December 1 as undrafted free agents.
Bowden and Sestina were always unlikely to make the Nets’ regular season roster, but they look like good bets to play in the G League for Brooklyn’s affiliate, the Long Island Nets.
Brooklyn now has 18 players on its camp roster. That gives the club the flexibility to complete its previously-reported contract agreement with guard Elie Okobo, assuming that hasn’t fallen through.
Sixers Viewed As Most Likely Trade Destination For Harden?
Philadelphia is considered the most likely landing spot for James Harden if and when the Rockets decide to trade him, according to Marc Stein of The New York Times (Twitter links).
As Stein explains, the Rockets are insisting for now that they won’t move Harden and the Sixers are saying they won’t move Ben Simmons, so nothing is imminent. However, sources tell Stein that the familiarity between the two front offices will be important in trade talks and can help defuse lingering tension related to Daryl Morey‘s departure from Houston.
The 76ers are one of the four teams believed to be among Harden’s list of preferred destinations, along with the Nets, Heat, and Bucks. Of those four clubs, Philadelphia is best positioned to meet Houston’s reported asking price of an All-Star caliber franchise cornerstone in return for Harden.
New Sixers head coach Doc Rivers has reportedly made it clear – both publicly and privately – that he wants an opportunity to see if he can maximize the on-court fit of Simmons and star center Joel Embiid, something former coach Brett Brown was never quite able to do.
As such, Morey and the 76ers are unlikely to be open to offering Simmons to the Rockets anytime soon. However, if no player as valuable as the 24-year-old is on the table from any other suitors, it makes sense for Houston to wait to see whether or not Simmons’ fit with Embiid improves — if it doesn’t, it’s possible the Sixers would make the former No. 1 overall pick available.
Without Simmons in their offer, it’s hard to see how the Sixers could put together a compelling package for Harden, so if Morey ultimately decides to hang onto the fifth-year guard, the Rockets will almost certainly have to look elsewhere.
Grizzlies Waive Mario Hezonja, Sign Ahmad Caver
1:14pm: The Grizzlies have officially waived Hezonja, the team confirmed in a press release. Additionally, Memphis announced that it has signed free agent guard Ahmad Caver to fill the newly-opened roster spot.
Terms of Caver’s deal weren’t disclosed, but it’s likely an Exhibit 10 contract designed to get him a $50K bonus if he plays for the Memphis Hustle in the G League again this season, as he did last year.
12:50pm: The Grizzlies are waiving veteran forward Mario Hezonja, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).
Hezonja, 25, averaged 4.8 PPG and 3.5 RPG on .422/.308/.814 shooting in 53 games (16.4 MPG) for Portland last season. After he exercised his minimum-salary player option for 2020/21, he was sent to Memphis in a three-team trade that saw the Trail Blazers acquire Enes Kanter.
The Grizzlies were carrying 17 players with guaranteed contracts into training camp, leaving Hezonja and Marko Guduric as the likely odd men out for the regular season. Neither player was in camp with the club.
Hezonja hasn’t developed into a reliable and productive rotation player since being selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2015 draft, but being cut by the Grizzlies doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t play in the NBA at all this season. According to Charania, multiple teams are expected to express interest in the Croatian once he clears waivers and training camp ends.
Kings Waive Quinton Rose
The Kings have waived rookie wing Quinton Rose, according to the NBA’s official transactions log. He had been on an Exhibit 10 contract.
Rose, who spent all four years of his college career at Temple, went undrafted last month after averaging 16.4 PPG, 5.0 RPG, and 3.5 APG in 31 games (33.4 MPG) as a senior.
Rose quickly reached an agreement with the Kings on a training camp deal after the draft and the two sides formally completed that signing earlier this week. The 22-year-old was only under contract with the team for a day, a signal that the Kings’ goal was to secure his G League rights. Assuming Sacramento participates in the 2020/21 NBAGL season, Rose appears likely to play for the Stockton Kings.
Sacramento now has 18 players under contract.
NBA Players Who Can Veto Trades In 2020/21
No-trade clauses are rare in the NBA, and they’ve become even rarer in recent years. To be eligible to negotiate a no-trade clause, a player must have at least eight years of NBA experience and four years with his current team. Even if a player qualifies, his team is unlikely to restrict its flexibility by including a no-trade clause in his deal.
Still, even though there’s not a single NBA player with an explicit no-trade clause in his contract at the moment, there are several who will have the ability to veto trades in 2020/21.
A player who re-signs with his previous team on a one-year contract – or a two-year deal with an option year – is given no-trade protection. So is a player who signs an offer sheet and has that offer matched by his previous team. Players who accept one-year qualifying offers after their rookie contracts expire also receive veto power.
So far, only has met either the second or third of those guidelines in 2020/21, but there are many more who have met the first one. Here are the players who must give their consent if their teams want to trade them during the ’20/21 league year:
No-trade clauses:
- None
Players whose offer sheets were matched:
- None
Players accepting qualifying offers:
- Denzel Valentine (Bulls)
Players re-signing for one year (or two years, with a second-year player/team option):
- Carmelo Anthony (Trail Blazers)

- Bismack Biyombo (Hornets)
- Willie Cauley-Stein (Mavericks)
- Matthew Dellavedova (Cavaliers)
- Goran Dragic (Heat)
- Jared Dudley (Lakers)
- James Ennis (Magic)
- Taj Gibson (Knicks)
- Udonis Haslem (Heat)
- Reggie Jackson (Clippers)
- DaQuan Jeffries (Kings)
- Tyler Johnson (Nets)
- Meyers Leonard (Heat): Traded
- Paul Millsap (Nuggets)
- Markieff Morris (Lakers)
- Patrick Patterson (Clippers)
- Elfrid Payton (Knicks)
- JaKarr Sampson (Pacers)
If any player who re-signed for one year approves a trade during the 2020/21 league year, he’ll have Non-Bird rights at season’s end instead of Early Bird or full Bird rights. That’s what happened to James Ennis last season — he would have had Early Bird rights at season’s end if he hadn’t approved a trade from Philadelphia to Orlando. In order to re-sign him this summer, the Magic had to use part of their mid-level exception, since his Non-Bird rights weren’t enough for his raise to $3.3MM.
Any player who consents to a trade will retain his veto ability on his new team, and would have to approve a subsequent deal as well.
Information from ESPN’s Bobby Marks was used in the creation of this post. Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
