Draft Rumors: Thunder, Pistons, Rockets, Pelicans, Raptors, More
Armed with the Nos. 6, 16, and 18 picks in the first round of this year’s draft and a huge stash of future first-rounders, the Thunder are expected to start “knocking on the door” to try to move into the top three of the 2021 draft, Adrian Wojnarowski said on Sunday’s Woj & Lowe special on ESPN (video link).
In his latest mock draft, ESPN’s Jonathan Givony (Insider link) confirms that the Thunder have been actively exploring the idea of trading up, with Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley among the prospects they’re said to be high on.
It would take a substantial package for the Thunder to move up into the top three from No. 6, and it remains to be seen whether they’re be willing to eat into their stockpile of draft assets to make such a move, especially if there’s a player they like outside of the top five. James Bouknight could be that player, according to Givony, who says Oklahoma City has “long been high” on the UConn guard, having inquired last year about the possibility of him entering the 2020 draft.
Here are several more draft-related rumors from ESPN’s reporters:
- It’d be extremely surprising if the Pistons do anything with the No. 1 pick other than select Cade Cunningham, says Givony. Wojnarowski says that decision isn’t finalized yet, but the Pistons are “getting there” on Cunningham, and Woj expects the Oklahoma State guard to be the pick.
- Jalen Green is increasingly likely to be the No. 2 pick, according to Givony, who writes that the Rockets have been “stonewalled” in their attempts to host Evan Mobley and Jalen Suggs for workouts.
- The Kings‘ (No. 9) and Pelicans‘ (No. 10) picks continue to be among the most available lottery selections, per Givony. New Orleans is attaching Eric Bledsoe to the No. 10 pick in most trade discussions involving that selection, says Wojnarowski (video link). Givony adds that Franz Wagner has gained traction as a possible target for Sacramento if the club stays in the lottery, despite his “mysterious” pre-draft process — Wagner skipped the combine and hasn’t worked out for many teams.
- While the Raptors are still widely expected to draft Jalen Suggs, they’ve taken long looks at other top-10 prospects, including Jonathan Kuminga, Scottie Barnes, James Bouknight, and Franz Wagner, says Givony. Wojnarowski and ESPN’s Zach Lowe (video link) expect Toronto to have several more conversations about either moving up or down from No. 4, but also view Suggs as the club’s likeliest choice.
- The Cavaliers continue to be active in trade talks and are rumored to be discussing the possibility of acquiring a second top-10 pick, according to Givony. Wojnarowski (video link) is skeptical that Cleveland is looking to add more draft assets though, suggesting he doesn’t “see a scenario” in which the club trades Collin Sexton or Darius Garland to get even younger.
- People around the league have “locked into the idea” that Scottie Barnes is the favorite to be picked at No. 5 by the Magic, reports Givony.
Latest On Bradley Beal
Despite a pair of weekend reports suggesting that Wizards guard Bradley Beal is contemplating his future with the franchise, he has not yet requested a trade, according to multiple reports.
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN (video link) said on the Woj & Lowe special on ESPN on Sunday that Beal hasn’t asked the Wizards to be dealt; Fred Katz of The Athletic says there hasn’t been a demand, a request, or even a “timid suggestion” for a trade; and Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington writes that the All-NBA guard has remained in contact with the Wizards’ front office and has given the team no signs that he’s unhappy.
Previous reports from Bleacher Report and The Athletic suggested that Beal might make a decision on whether he wants to remain in D.C. before Thursday’s draft. A trade would be easier to put together before that draft, since it would allow potential suitors to offer 2021 picks and give the Wizards the opportunity to select the players they want with those picks.
However, Hughes cites one source who pushed back on the idea that Washington needs to decide its course within the next four days, pointing out that Beal is under contract next season and not every trade offer would center around 2021 draft picks.
One team whose offer would be heavy on 2021 picks is Golden State, and Wojnarowski (video link) views Beal as the primary target for the Warriors, who don’t seem inclined to get too involved in the Ben Simmons sweepstakes. If Beal isn’t made available via trade, Wojnarowski expects the Warriors to use their picks at No. 7 and No. 14 this Thursday.
Of course, even if Beal is available, there will be other teams in the mix besides Golden State, as ESPN’s Zach Lowe observes (video link). Lowe believes the Wizards would seek more than Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, and the Nos. 7 and 14 picks from Golden State in any Beal deal, suggesting that Washington would likely also ask for the Warriors’ 2026 first-rounder and a pick swap or two.
Here’s more on Beal:
- Beal has always looked for reasons to stay in D.C. rather than to leave, according to Wojnarowski. “He loves that organization,” Woj said. “He loves that city.”
- While the Wizards said Beal would have a say in the team’s head coaching search this offseason, the star guard was a little frustrated that his top pick for the job – Sixers assistant Sam Cassell – didn’t get a second interview, sources tell Katz. It’s unclear, however, if that will be a major factor in Beal’s decision on his future.
- If Beal does request a trade, the Sixers, Heat, and Hawks are among the teams that could join the Warriors in the bidding, sources tell Katz. Hughes, meanwhile, suggests that the Warriors, Heat, Celtics, Trail Blazers, Lakers, and Mavericks are some of the clubs that would likely intrigue Beal.
- The Thunder have made it known around the NBA that they’d be interested in participating in a Beal trade as a third team, according to Hughes.
- The Wizards haven’t received any indication that their other star guard – Russell Westbrook – wants out of Washington, a team source tells Hughes.
Pacific Notes: Bower, Lakers, Kuzma, Kings, Suns
The Suns and senior vice president of basketball operations Jeff Bower have parted ways, as relayed by Duane Rankin of the Arizona Republic. Bower originally joined the franchise back in 2019.
“I am grateful for the opportunity to have been part of the organization,” Bower said. “We are proud of the progress and accomplishments achieved on the court over the past two seasons. I look forward to other opportunities and projects that are in the future.”
Phoenix constructed a title-contending team this season after going just 19-63 two seasons ago, a remarkable turnaround for the franchise. The re-shaping of the roster largely had to do with general manager James Jones, Bower and others.
“Jeff’s impact on the franchise has been immeasurable,” Jones said. “He helped lay the foundation for our success. We are extremely thankful.”
There’s more from the Pacific Division tonight:
- Yossi Gozlan of HoopsHype explores how the Lakers could execute a valuable sign-and-trade this offseason. Los Angeles is seeking a guard this offseason that can lower the workout for LeBron James, who’s set to turn 37 in December. The team has shopped Kyle Kuzma and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to many clubs in recent weeks, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (video link).
- Jason Jones of The Athletic examines how Kuzma could fit with the Kings if a potential deal was finalized. The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported on Sunday that Los Angeles and Sacramento have discussed a deal involving Buddy Hield and Kuzma.
- The Suns are hiring Bryan Gates as an assistant coach on Monty Williams‘ staff, Wojnarowski reports (via Twitter). Gates will replace Willie Green, who left to accept a head coaching job with the Pelicans earlier this month. Gates worked for Williams in New Orleans from 2010-15.
Western Notes: Green, Castlin, Jazz, Nuggets
Pelicans coach Willie Green‘s strong leadership traits were molded by people during his upbringing in Detroit, William Guillory of The Athletic writes.
Green, who was hired by New Orleans earlier this month, most recently spent time as an assistant with the Suns. He also played 12 seasons in the NBA, the last of which came in 2014/15 with Orlando.
“He’ll be the most humble, prepared coach you’ve ever seen in your life,” Suns star Chris Paul said of Green. “I can’t even imagine right now playing and him being a coach, but I’m unbelievably happy for the opportunity that he may get.”
That potential opportunity, of course, is now a reality. Green will have the task of leading a young core featuring Brandon Ingram and Zion Williamson next season and beyond. New Orleans finished with just a 31-41 record last season, missing the play-in tournament.
Here are some other notes out of the Western Conference tonight:
- Kyle Castlin will play summer league with the Jazz, sources told Hoops Rumors. Castlin, a Columbia and Xavier product, played 11 games with Utah’s G League affiliate during the 2019-20 season. The NBA’s summer league is set to be held in Las Vegas from August 8-17. Utah will also play in its own league, the Salt Lake City Summer League, on August 3, 4 and 6.
- Mike Singer of the Denver Post examines the Nuggets‘ upcoming free agency period. Singer also poses five questions that will help shape the team’s offseason. “Certainly we have a handful of free agents that we’re hopeful we can retain,” president of basketball operations Tim Connelly said in June. “We won’t have real certainty about what our roster might look like until post-draft. We really enjoyed this group. The more guys we can keep the better.”
Draft Notes: Mann, Taylor, Cunningham, Hornets
NBA draft prospect Tre Mann expressed confidence that he’s the best guard in this year’s class, as relayed by Michael Scotto of HoopsHype.
Mann, 20, spent the past two seasons at Florida. He held per-game averages of 16 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists during the 2020/21 campaign, shooting 46% from the floor and 40% from deep.
“I think I’m the best guard in the draft, top-five for sure,” Mann said.
When asked about his strengths and weaknesses ahead of Thursday’s event, he gave a fair outlook.
“My strengths are my ability to create for myself and my teammates, my craftiness, and my ability to shoot off the dribble on the three-point line or a couple of steps behind the line,” Mann said. “The weaknesses that I think I need to work on are the simpler plays, like making the simple reads out of the ball screens and trying to make the game as easy as possible.”
Here are some other draft-related notes to pass along:
- Former Austin Peay wing Terry Taylor worked out for the Mavericks on Saturday and Suns on Sunday, according to Adam Zagoria of Forbes (Twitter link). Taylor has earned workouts with over half of the league’s 30 teams and will also audition for the Hawks on Monday.
- Cade Cunningham is widely considered to be the best option in the draft, but Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle contends that it shouldn’t be a sure thing. Detroit owns the No. 1 selection in the event, followed by Houston at No. 2.
- The Hornets worked out Sam Cunliffe, Marcus Garrett, Austin Reaves, Jordan Schakel, Isaiah Todd and McKinley Wright IV on Saturday, the team announced on social media. A separate group consisting of Giorgi Bezhanishvili, Javonte Smart, Ziaire Williams and Damien Jefferson attended a team workout on Sunday.
Charania’s Latest: Beal, Lakers, Hardaway Jr., Barton, Turner, Ennis, Lowry
Wizards star Bradley Beal is expected to use this weekend to continue pondering his future with the franchise, Shams Charania of The Athletic reports.
Beal has been “on the fence” about his future with Washington at times, Charania notes. Bleacher Report’s Jake Fischer first reported that Beal had been pondering a trade request, adding that any call for a move would likely come before Thursday’s draft.
The 28-year-old Beal recently finished his ninth season with the team, averaging a career-high 31.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game.
Here are some other notes from The Athletic’s story:
- The Lakers are expected to express interest in Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan and Spencer Dinwiddie, Charania reports. A previous report from Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times indicated that the three guards have interest in joining L.A.
- The Mavericks have prioritized re-signing veteran free agent Tim Hardaway Jr., Charania notes. Hardway is coming off a stellar campaign with Dallas, averaging 16.6 points per game on 39% shooting from three-point range.
- Will Barton declined his $14.7MM player option with Denver earlier this month, but there’s expected to be significant interest between both sides on negotiating a new deal, according to Charania. Barton recently concluded his seventh season with the Nuggets.
- The Pelicans and Hornets have expressed interest in Pacers center Myles Turner, Charania reports. Indiana is open to moving the 25-year-old Turner after finishing the season at just 34-38.
- Magic free agent James Ennis is expected to garner interest from multiple postseason contenders. Ennis, a seven-year veteran, averaged 8.4 points per contest on 43% shooting from deep this past season.
- Charania also reported a list of top suitors for Lowry in free agency, listing the Sixers, Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans and Heat as teams likely to be in the mix for him.
And-Ones: Lowry, Summer League, EuroLeague, Mudiay
The destiny of unrestricted free agent veteran Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry this offseason will be a key story to monitor. The Athletic’s writers engaged in entertaining mock Lowry free agency negotiations this week, acting as Lowry’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, and team reps for the Raptors, Heat, Mavericks, Knicks, and Sixers. In the exercise, Lowry ultimately selected the Heat.
The 35-year-old Lowry, a six-time All-Star and a 2019 champion with the Raptors, averaged 17.2 PPG, 7.3 APG, and 5.4 across 46 games during the 2020/21 season. He posted a shooting line of .436/.396/.875.
Here are some other odds and ends from around the basketball world today:
- The NBA has announced its COVID-19 health and safety protocols ahead of the upcoming 2021 Summer League in Las Vegas, tweets Shams Charania of The Athletic. There are significant differences between the restrictions placed on fully-vaccinated players and non-vaccinated players, ranging from quarantine restrictions to the frequency of testing for the novel coronavirus and permitted activities while in Las Vegas.
- The EuroLeague has reached an agreement with its players’ association, the ELPA, on the first unified CBA across the league, per Alessandro Maggiuro of Sportando.
- Lithuanian EuroLeague club Zalgiris Kaunas may sign recent former NBA lottery pick Emmanuel Mudiay, writes Donatas Urbonas of BasketNews.com. The 6’3″ point guard opted to bypass college ball and turned pro after high school, playing with the Guangdong Southern Tigers of the CBA during the 2014/15 season. He was selected by the Nuggets in the 2015 draft with the No. 7 pick, and served stints with the Knicks and Jazz. He last played in the NBA for Utah during the 2019/20 season.
Kings, Lakers Have Discussed Possible Buddy Hield Trade
The Lakers, not satisfied with their first-round playoff exit in 2021, are apparently on the hunt for some shooting help in the offseason. According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Los Angeles has talked with the Kings about a possible trade for shooting guard Buddy Hield.
Charania reports that such a deal that would likely see L.A. reserve power forward Kyle Kuzma headed to Sacramento, a team loaded with power forwards. The Lakers have received interest in Kuzma from multiple teams, Charania adds.
Kuzma inked a three-year, $40MM contract extension during the 2020 offseason that kicks in during the 2020/21 season. He averaged 12.9 PPG and 6.1 RPG on .443/.361/.691 shooting in 68 games (28.7 MPG) in 2020/21.
As for Hield, he had a stellar individual season in Sacramento, averaging 16.6 PPG, 4.7 RPG, and 3.6 APG, with a shooting line of .406/.391/.846. The 28-year-old swingman is under team control through the 2023/24 season, on a declining deal that will pay him $22.8MM this year, $20.8MM in 2022/23, and $18.9MM in its final year.
Several Lakers guards are unrestricted or restricted free agents this summer, so adding a sharpshooter in his prime with the pedigree of Hield to help spread the floor and allow Lakers superstars LeBron James and Anthony Davis room to operate makes sense on paper.
According to Charania, pursuing a Hield trade is just one possible path the Lakers could go down, as the team is also expected to show interest in free agent guards like Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, and Spencer Dinwiddie. All three are said to be interested in playing in L.A.
Raptors May Pursue RFA Jarrett Allen
Cavaliers center Jarrett Allen, a restricted free agent this summer, could be a target for the Raptors, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who says Toronto is expected to be one of Allen’s “strong” suitors. The Raptors are in clear need of an upgrade at the five spot.
Charania hears that the Cavaliers and Allen are both interested in a long-term agreement, so the Raptors may have to overpay if they hope to pry the 23-year-old Allen away from Cleveland. Charania notes that Toronto has tried to trade for Allen on prior occasions.
The Raptors could create upwards of $25MM in cap room this summer to make a run at Allen, but that would require the team to renounce Kyle Lowry and likely waive Chris Boucher.
After being dealt to Cleveland courtesy of the Nets early in the 2020/21 season as part of the trade that sent All-Star James Harden to Brooklyn, Allen thrived while with the underperforming Cavaliers. He averaged 13.2 PPG, 9.9 RPG, and 1.4 BPG across 51 contests.
Having let veterans Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol depart for the two Los Angeles teams during the 2020 offseason, the Raptors pivoted by adding Aron Baynes and Alex Len to shore up the middle. Len was eventually waived. When Baynes proved overtaxed, the Raptors opted for small-ball lineups with Boucher frequently playing center.
Central Notes: Turner, Pacers, Moran, Pistons
The Pacers have talked about a deal that could send center Myles Turner to the Warriors, Kevin O’Connor of the Ringer said in a recent podcast with Chris Vernon (h/t BasketballNews.com).
The Warriors possess two lottery picks in this Thursday’s 2021 NBA draft, the No. 7 and No. 14 selections. A mobile, defensive-oriented center who can guard multiple positions and is a career 35.2% shooter from deep, Turner could be an excellent fit in Golden State. The 25-year-old big man averaged 12.6 PPG, 6.5 RPG and 3.4 BPG across 47 games during the 2020/21 season.
There’s more out of the Central Division:
- The Pacers will be holding their eighth pre-draft workout on Monday, tweets Scott Agness of Fieldhouse Files. The Pacers have the No. 13 pick in the upcoming draft. The players set to partake are Marcus Burk of IUPUI, Trevion Crews of Bethel College, Kyle Mangas of Indiana Wesleyan, Matt Mitchell of San Diego State, Jordan Schakel of San Diego State, and Aaron Wiggins of Maryland.
- The Pistons intend to hire former Trail Blazers assistant Jim Moran to Dwane Casey‘s coaching staff for the 2021/22 season, tweets James L. Edwards III of The Athletic. Moran served under former Portland head coach Terry Stotts from 2015/16 through this past season.
- Beyond the top selection in the 2021 NBA Draft, the Pistons also have three second-round picks. In a recent column, James L. Edwards III of The Athletic examines some options for Detroit while conducting a mock draft.
