Zion Williamson Returning To New Orleans, Progressing In Basketball Activities

Another positive development in Zion Williamson‘s recovery from a foot injury could mean he’ll return to action before the end of the regular season.

Williamson is returning to New Orleans after rehabbing in Portland and has been cleared to progress in basketball activities, The Athletic’s Shams Charania and Will Guillory report (via Twitter).

The top pick in the 2019 draft hasn’t appeared in a game since last May. The Pelicans have been on a hot streak since the All-Star break, winning their last four games and currently holding the last spot in the Western Conference play-in tournament. Naturally, the insertion of Williamson into the lineup would make them a dangerous team in the postseason.

Earlier this week, the Pelicans provided an update on Williamson’s rehab from right foot surgery, stating that recent imaging showed “improved bone healing” in the fifth metatarsal. However, the update also struck a cautious tone with no established timetable for his return.

Williamson will be eligible for a rookie scale extension this offseason and it would certainly be helpful for both parties to see him back in action before the season’s end.

Atlantic Notes: Raptors, Harris, Nets, Horford

The Raptors must address their perimeter shooting this offseason, Eric Koreen of The Athletic argues. Gary Trent‘s shooting slump and injuries to Fred VanVleet and OG Anunoby have exposed the lack of natural shooters on the roster. Toronto ought to focus on finding another shooter or two in free agency or the draft, Koreen says. The Raptors currently rank 13th in 3-point shooting.

We have more from the Eastern Conference:

  • The Nets had discussions with several teams prior to the trade deadline regarding Joe Harris, according to Ian Begley of SNY.tv. However, Harris’ ankle injury impacted what teams were willing to give up for him. Harris, who hasn’t played since Nov. 14, opted this week for season-ending surgery on his left ankle. He has two years left on his four-year, $75MM contract.
  • The Nets are running out of time to build chemistry, Mark W. Sanchez of the New York Post notes. Even with Kevin Durant back in the lineup, the rotation remains in flux. Ben Simmons has yet to make his season debut, Kyrie Irving‘s availability remains uncertain, Goran Dragic just joined the team and the coaches are still sorting out frontcourt options. “We are cutting it close,” Durant said. “There’s under 20 games left in the season. We have to go out there and figure it out.”
  • Al Horford has proven his worth during the Celtics’ turnaround, Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe writes. Boston has outscored opponents by 7.6 points per 100 possessions with Horford on the court. Horford, whose $26.5MM salary next season is partially guaranteed, has been a defensive anchor during the resurgence. “Everybody thinks Al is up there in age and that he’s lost it,” Marcus Smart said. “He’s still got it.”

Central Notes: Jones Jr., Allen, Jackson, LaVine, Bagley

The Bulls were furious at the Bucks’ Grayson Allen after his hard foul against Alex Caruso in January resulted in Caruso fracturing his right wrist. Derrick Jones Jr. appeared to exact some revenge on Friday, though Jones claims his flagrant foul against Allen wasn’t intentional, ESPN’s Jamal Collier writes.

“I’m not a dirty player. Honestly, I talked to every ref that was there (Friday),” the Bulls forward said. “I didn’t think that was a flagrant. They said I hit him in his head. I didn’t even feel it. I just felt him bump my hip and fall. That’s all I felt.”

We have more from the Central Division:

  • Pistons reserve guard Frank Jackson missed Friday’s game with a bilateral lumbar spine spasm, according to Omari Sankofa II of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter links). Jackson underwent an MRI, Sankofa adds (Twitter link). The Pistons hold a $3.15MM option on Jackson’s contract for next season. He has only appeared in one game since Feb. 11.
  • It would be surprising if Zach LaVine bolted the Bulls during free agency this offseason, K.C. Johnson of NBC Sports Chicago opines. LaVine loves living in Chicago and playing for Billy Donovan. He has also repeatedly praised the front office for upgrading the roster, while the ownership group is committed to paying him.
  • Pistons big man Marvin Bagley III had a strong outing after missing three games due to a sprained ankle, Keith Langlois of Pistons.com notes. Bagley, who will enter free agency this summer, had 18 points and eight rebounds off the bench and is thrilled he got traded to Detroit. “When I first got here, the energy was good,” he said. “You can feel it. You can feel how everybody’s connecting. On the road, team dinners, coming together. It’s a great feeling. I’m happy to be a part of it.”

Nik Stauskas Signs Two-Year Contract With Celtics

MARCH 4: The Celtics have officially signed Stauskas, the team announced. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.


MARCH 3: Nik Stauskas is signing a two-year deal with the Celtics, agents Mark Bartelstein and Andy Shiffman told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (Twitter link).

The veteran guard has been lighting it up in the G League, scoring a combined 100 points in his last two games for the Grand Rapids Gold, the Nuggets’ G League affiliate. Overall, Stauskas is averaging 26 PPG, 5.8 RPG and 4.7 APG in G League competition over 14 games this season.

Stauskas, a lottery pick by Sacramento back in 2014, played two games for the Heat this season under the 10-day hardship exemption. Prior to that, Stauskas had not appeared in an NBA game since the 2018/19 season, when he played in a combined 68 contests for Portland and Cleveland.

In 338 career NBA appearances, Stauskas has averaged 6.8 PPG in 19.8 MPG while making 35.4% of his long-range attempts.

Boston has an open roster spot, plus two players with 10-day contracts (Kelan Martin and Malik Fitts) that are near expiration. Jaylen Brown missed Thursday’s game against Memphis with an ankle injury and Aaron Nesmith left the game early with an ankle sprain.

While the exact terms of Stauskas’ deal aren’t yet known, a minimum-salary contract that isn’t guaranteed for next season seems likely.

And-Ones: Brown, Brogdon, Biyombo, Udoka, Snyder, Russia, Smith

Jaylen Brown, Malcolm Brogdon and Bismack Biyombo have been re-elected as VPs on the National Basketball Players Association’s Executive Committee, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweets. They’ll serve new three-year terms, according to the players’ union.

We have more from around the basketball world:

  • The Celtics’ Ime Udoka and Jazz‘s Quin Snyder were named Coaches of the Month for February, NBA Communications tweets. Boston had a 9-2 record during the month, while Utah went 8-1.
  • In the aftermath of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the NBA has suspended all activities in Russia, Mark J. Burns of the Sports Business Journal tweets. According to Burns’ source, that includes activities related to content distribution such as digital and broadcast. There is no timeline on when business activities will resume in Russia.
  • Forward Roscoe Smith, who has appeared in 149 G League games, has signed in Palestine with Orthodoxi Beit Jala, agent Derek James of Global Pipeline Agency told JD Shaw of Hoops Rumors (Twitter link).

Victor Oladipo Could Make Season Debut On Monday

Victor Oladipo is expected to make his season debut for the Heat against Houston on Monday, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets.

Oladipo has been rehabbing from quad tendon surgery and has only played four games with Miami since being acquired last March from the Rockets. He recently participated in three practices with the G League’s Sioux Falls Skyforce.

Oladipo, who will likely play backup at point guard behind Kyle Lowry, was signed to a one-year, veteran’s minimum deal last offseason and will re-enter the free agent market this summer.

Oladipo played 33 games last season with Indiana, Houston and Miami, averaging 19.8 points on 41% shooting. His last healthy season was the 2017/18 campaign, when he averaged a career-high 23.1 points and 2.4 steals in 75 games (34.0 MPG). He also shot 47.7% from the floor and 37.1% from deep that season.

DeAndre Jordan Signs With Sixers

MARCH 3, 7:58pm: The Sixers have officially signed Jordan and ended Cauley-Stein’s 10-day deal, the team confirmed in a press release. Jordan will earn a rest-of-season salary of $592,103, while Philadelphia takes on a cap hit of $374,126.


MARCH 3, 1:55pm: Jordan is expected to sign with the Sixers unless a team claims him off waivers prior to the 4:00pm CT deadline Thursday, sources tell ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (Twitter link). A waiver claim is considered unlikely, says Wojnarowski.

The Sixers plan to release Willie Cauley-Stein from his 10-day contract a couple days early in order to sign Jordan, Wojnarowski tweets. Cauley-Stein’s 10-day deal had been on track to run through March 5.


FEBRUARY 28: The Sixers are the frontrunners to acquire DeAndre Jordan, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, though the timing of such a move will have luxury tax implications.

The Lakers are waiving DeAndre Jordan in order to add free agent guard D.J. Augustin. Once Jordan hits the waiver wire, his veteran’s minimum contract could be claimed by any team. Philadelphia, which has the seventh-best record in the league, is low in the pecking order.

As Bobby Marks of ESPN points out (Twitter link), Philadelphia currently has a projected $13.19MM tax bill and that would rise to $16.1MM if the team claims Jordan and his $1.66MM cap hit.

If the Sixers wait for Jordan to pass through waivers with the hope no other team claims him, they could sign him for the prorated veteran’s minimum. In that scenario, their projected tax bill would only increase to $13.8MM.

The Sixers have been seeking a veteran center to back up Joel Embiid since trading Andre Drummond to Brooklyn in the Ben SimmonsJames Harden blockbuster. They acquired Paul Millsap in that deal but Millsap, 37, is 6’7”’ and a natural forward. They also signed Willie Cauley-Stein to a 10-day deal but may view Jordan as a better option.

Southwest Notes: McCollum, Murray, Popovich, Green

CJ McCollum is thriving with the Pelicans since being acquired from Portland. McCollum says added responsibility has led to his strong start in New Orleans, according to Christian Clark of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. He is averaging 26.6 PPG on 51.9% shooting and 6.0 APG since the deal. “I’m the primary ball-handler now,” McCollum said. “Before, Dame (Damian Lillard) was the primary ball-handler.” McCollum is in the first year of a three-year, $100MM extension.

We have more from the Southwest Division:

  • Spurs guard Dejounte Murray was fined $20K by the NBA on Wednesday, the league announced (via Twitter). Murray threw the game ball off the legs of a referee during the fourth quarter of the team’s 118-105 loss to the Grizzlies on Monday. He was ejected for the incident.
  • The Spurs’ Gregg Popovich is just two victories away from becoming the winningest coach in league history. Popovich, 73, is still as demanding as ever, Murray told The Athletic’s David Aldridge. “It’s all stuff that makes sense,” he said. “That’s the big picture about it. Everything he’s yelling about, or talking about, it all makes sense.”
  • All the extra work Jalen Green has put in over the course of his rookie season is paying off, as Kelly Iko of The Athletic details. The Rockets guard and No. 2 pick in last year’s draft averaged 16.5 PPG and shot 39% from the 3-point line last month. “I would just say a lot more efficient, a lot more aggressive,” Green said of his improvement. “I’m locked in and hopefully will give my team a chance to win and just take my game to another level.”

Joe Harris To Undergo Season-Ending Ankle Surgery

6:45pm: Harris will be out four-to-six months, agent Mark Bartelstein told Michael Scotto of HoopsHype (Twitter link). Harris is expected to be 100 percent for the start of next season.


6:11pm: Nets forward Joe Harris will undergo season-ending left ankle surgery, general manager Sean Marks said in a YES Network interview (Twitter link via Frank Isola).

The possibility of Harris requiring another ankle surgery was raised a month ago. The veteran sharpshooter hasn’t played since November 14 and underwent left ankle surgery later that month. The original prognosis was that Harris would miss approximately four-to-eight weeks.

It’s another negative development in a tumultuous Brooklyn season that has included Kyrie Irving‘s vaccination stance, Kevin Durant‘s knee injury and the James HardenBen Simmons trade. Durant returned to action on Thursday but it’s still up in the air when Simmons might suit up.

Harris sustained the injury against Oklahoma City. Heading into that game, the 30-year-old had been averaging 11.9 PPG and 4.1 RPG. Last season, Harris averaged 14.1 PPG, shooting 47.5% from 3-point range in 69 regular season games.

He re-signed with Brooklyn on a four-year, $75MM contract in November 2020. The Nets added Seth Curry in the deal with the Sixers and Bruce Brown has carved out a steady role but the loss of Harris still ranks as a major blow to the team’s championship aspirations.

Marks issued a statement which reads in part, “Although Joe worked diligently over the past several months to rehab his ankle and exhausted every possible avenue in order to get back on the court with his teammates, it was been determined that he will require an additional arthroscopic surgery in the coming weeks.”

New York Notes: Irving, Burks, Quickley, Barrett, Durant

Nets guard Kyrie Irving has picked a new agent and it’s someone close to him. He’s hired Shetellia Riley Irving, which would apparently make her the only Black woman representing a current player, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets. She’s Kyrie’s stepmother and a VP of ad sales at media company BET, Ian Begley of SNY TV tweets.

Irving’s contract includes a player option worth at least $36.5MM for the 2022/23 season. He’ll become an unrestricted free agent this summer if he opts out.

We have more from the New York teams:

  • With Kemba Walker shut down for the season and Derrick Rose recovering from a minor procedure on his ankle, the Knicks are thin at the point. They’re currently going with Alec Burks as the starter and Immanuel Quickley on the second unit. Until Rose is ready, coach Tom Thibodeau said he doesn’t anticipate a change, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post. “That’s the best we have, so that’s what we’re doing, and they’re capable,’’ he said.
  • Following his 46-point eruption against Miami last week, Jimmy Butler said that wing RJ Barrett was going to be “the face of the Knicks.” The New York Post’s Ian O’Connor writes that Barrett must not allow the state of the franchise to hold him back from being an All-Star player. O’Connor notes that the franchise hasn’t drafted, developed and held onto a star player since Patrick Ewing.
  • There won’t a minutes restriction on Kevin Durant in his return to action Thursday, Nick Friedell of ESPN tweets. However, Durant and acting coach Jacque Vaughn — who is filling for Steve Nash (health and safety protocols) — will be in constant communication during the game to monitor how he’s feeling.