Pacific Notes: Wiseman, Ayton, Kings
Warriors center James Wiseman, who has been cleared to participate fully in practices, said on Monday that he’s getting closer to 100% and believes he’ll be able to take part in 5-on-5 scrimmages soon, according to Nick Friedell of ESPN (Twitter link). Wiseman also said he’s interested in being assigned to the G League in order to get some game reps with Santa Cruz before he returns to action for Golden State.
Wiseman’s knee injury cost him the opportunity to play in Summer League and to be a full participant in training camp, but the second-year big man believes he’s made a lot of progress since his rookie season. As Josh Schrock of NBC Sports Bay Area relays, the 20-year-old said he’s “not lost out there” anymore and has a better understanding of where he needs to be on both offense and defense.
“I feel way more comfortable because I have way more experience than last year,” Wiseman said. “Just bringing that to my second year, I don’t feel lost, I don’t feel confused out there. I feel like I know what I’m doing. This year is way better because I have the knowledge from last year to bring over to the second year and just build off that.”
Here’s more from around the Pacific:
- Suns center Deandre Ayton has met the starter criteria, assuring that his qualifying offer next summer as a restricted free agent will be worth $16.4MM. As we detailed last month, the requirements for achieving the starter criteria have been slightly adjusted this year to account for last season’s 72-game schedule, so Ayton was able to get there despite not yet totaling 82 starts across this season and 2020/21.
- The Kings‘ young backcourt of De’Aaron Fox, Tyrese Haliburton, and Davion Mitchell was viewed as one of the team’s primary strengths entering the season, but veterans Harrison Barnes and Richaun Holmes have been the team’s most reliable contributors so far this season, says Alex Didion of NBC Sports Bay Area. Barnes – who has two years left on his current contract – is averaging 23.3 PPG and 10.3 RPG with a .455 3PT%, while Holmes – who signed a new four-year deal this summer – has put up 16.3 PPG and 10.5 RPG with a .714 FG%.
- In case you missed it, we passed along several Lakers-related notes earlier today.
Lou Williams: 2021/22 May Be My Last Season
Speaking to Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report (video link) about his NBA career, Hawks guard Lou Williams said that 2021/22 is “probably my last season.” However, Williams admitted that he thought the same thing last season and continued playing.
[RELATED: Lou Williams Considered Retirement After Trade To Hawks]
“Potentially,” Williams said when pressed by Rooks about whether he intends to retire after the current season. “I have the clarity, I’m OK with that. But I’m also OK with continuing to play if that’s where it takes me. I’m prepared for the worst.”
It doesn’t sound like Williams has made any decisions yet, but the fact that he’s even discussing retirement is noteworthy. The three-time Sixth Man of the Year just turned 35 last Wednesday, and some of his contemporaries have talked about wanting to play into their 40s. It doesn’t sound like the 17th-year guard expects his playing career to last anywhere near that long.
Williams, who entered the NBA as a second-round pick in 2005, has averaged double-digit points per game for 14 straight seasons, but has gotten off to a slow start this fall, averaging 6.3 PPG and 0.5 APG on .381/.333/1.000 shooting in four games for Atlanta.
While there’s plenty of time to increase those numbers, Williams’ limited playing time so far (12.3 MPG, two DNP-CDs) suggests he likely won’t have a major role for the Hawks this season. He’ll be a free agent in 2022 when his one-year, $5MM deal with the club expires.
Lakers Notes: Horton-Tucker, Ellington, Carmelo, Defense
A pair of Lakers guards are working toward their returns to the court, as Dave McMenamin of ESPN relays (via Twitter).
Head coach Frank Vogel told reporters on Monday that Talen Horton-Tucker has had the stitches removed from his surgically-repaired right thumb and will begin shooting on Tuesday. Vogel also said that Wayne Ellington, who has yet to play this season due to a hamstring injury, will practice with the South Bay Lakers in the G League before debuting for the NBA team.
Horton-Tucker and Ellington are among a handful of Lakers that have yet to play this season due to injuries — Kendrick Nunn and Trevor Ariza have also been on the shelf since the regular season began. The club has managed to stay afloat in part by getting contributions from bench players who weren’t expected to play regular roles, including undrafted rookie Austin Reaves and recently-added veteran Avery Bradley.
Here’s more on the Lakers:
- Carmelo Anthony, who scoffed at the idea of playing a bench role for the Thunder back in 2017, said on Sunday that he believes there’s a “misconception out there” about his willingness to play any role asked of him. “I think people don’t really understand me,” the Lakers forward said, per Dave McMenamin of ESPN. “… I’m easily adaptable, man, to any situation.” Anthony is thriving in a reserve role so far this season, averaging 16.7 PPG on .500/.522/.786 shooting in seven games (27.0 MPG).
- With strong defenders like Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Marc Gasol, and Alex Caruso no longer on the roster, the Lakers are asking their stars to do more “dirty work” on the defensive end, as Kyle Goon of The Southern California News Group details. “I think for a lot of our guys – Bron, A.D., Melo, Russ – a lot of their careers they’ve had a lot of ‘dirty work’ guys around them,” Frank Vogel said. “And now they have to support each other in that way and really commit to guarding their own man and executing our scheme.”
- Count Vogel among those that believes the NBA should consider tweaking its rules to crack down on the so-called “Euro foul,” as Mike Trudell of Lakers.com tweets. While the NBA has made some changes this year to how fouls are called, the league has yet to address these intentional fouls to stop fast breaks.
Celtics’ Smart Calls On Tatum, Brown To Pass More
The Celtics dropped their third consecutive game on Monday, falling to 2-5 on the season, and veteran guard Marcus Smart expressed some frustration in his media session following the loss to Chicago. As Brian Robb of MassLive.com details, Smart called out teammates Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown when discussing the club’s ineffective late-game offense.
“I would just like to play basketball,” Smart said. “Every team knows we are trying to go to Jayson and Jaylen and every team is programmed and studies to stop Jayson and Jaylen. I think everybody’s scouting report is to make those guys try to pass the ball. They don’t want to pass the ball and that’s something that they’re going to learn.”
Smart added that the team is “proud of the progress” Tatum and Brown have made. However, he suggested the two young stars need to develop further as play-makers for others, rather than just looking to create their own shots.
“It’s something that we’ve been asking for them to do and they’re learning,” Smart said. “We just got to continue to help those guys do that and to help our team.”
The Celtics made a head coaching change over the offseason, with Brad Stevens moving to the front office and hiring Ime Udoka as his replacement. A highly-regarded assistant who is getting his first head coaching opportunity, Udoka may need to make some adjustments to a Boston offense that currently ranks 19th in the NBA.
“There’s only so much I can do without the ball in my hands, I’m just standing in the corner,” Smart said, per Robb. “We’re running plays for our best players, every team knows that. They do a good job of shutting that down. We can’t allow that. When they shut that down, we can’t keep trying to go to those guys. We gotta avoid that and find another way to give them the ball in the spots where they need the ball.
“Like I said for me, I can only do so much just standing there in the corner or when I give the ball away. I do everything I can on the other end to try to combat that. I try to talk, I try to make plays, get those guys the ball where they need it, where they want it.”
As Robb details, Brown declined to speak to reporters after Monday’s game. Tatum wasn’t scheduled to meet with the media.
Recap Of 2022/23 Rookie Scale Option Decisions
Decisions on rookie scale options for the 2022/23 season were due on Monday — any team that wanted to exercise a third- or fourth-year option on a player for next season was required to do so by today.
As is typically the case, a huge majority of those options were picked up. Even for top picks, who are paid higher salaries due to the NBA’s rookie scale, those third- and fourth-year options are relatively team-friendly. So unless a player has fallen well short of his team’s expectations, it generally makes sense to lock in his salary for the following season at this point.
However, not every player with a 2022/23 team option had it exercised by Monday’s deadline. The players who had those options declined will now be on track to reach unrestricted free agency during the summer of 2022, assuming they’re not waived before then. At the end of the season, their teams won’t be able to offer them starting salaries that exceed the value of their declined options.
Listed below are the players who had their options turned down, followed by the players whose options were exercised. If a player had his option picked up, his ’22/23 salary is now guaranteed and he won’t be eligible for free agency until at least 2023.
Declined options:
Note: These players will become unrestricted free agents in 2022.
- Jarrett Culver, Grizzlies (fourth year, $8,109,063)
- Jalen Smith, Suns (third year, $4,670,160)
In addition to these two players who remain under contract for the 2021/22 season, two players who had rookie scale team options on their contracts for ’22/23 were waived during the offseason. Those players were Sekou Doumbouya (cut by the Rockets) and Luka Samanic (waived by the Spurs). Their options were automatically voided once they cleared waivers.
Exercised options:
Fourth year:
Note: These players will become eligible for rookie scale extensions in July of 2022. If they’re not extended, they’ll be on track for restricted free agency in 2023.
- Zion Williamson, Pelicans ($13,534,817)

- Ja Morant, Grizzlies ($12,119,440)
- RJ Barrett, Knicks ($10,900,635)
- De’Andre Hunter, Hawks ($9,835,881)
- Darius Garland, Cavaliers ($8,920,795)
- Coby White, Bulls ($7,413,955)
- Jaxson Hayes, Pelicans ($6,803,012)
- Rui Hachimura, Wizards ($6,263,188)
- Cam Reddish, Hawks ($5,954,454)
- Cameron Johnson, Suns ($5,887,899)
- P.J. Washington, Hornets ($5,808,435)
- Tyler Herro, Heat ($5,722,116)
- Romeo Langford, Celtics ($5,634,257)
- Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Pelicans ($5,009,633)
- Goga Bitadze, Pacers ($4,765,339)
- Matisse Thybulle, Sixers ($4,379,527)
- Brandon Clarke, Grizzlies ($4,343,920)
- Grant Williams, Celtics ($4,306,281)
- Darius Bazley, Thunder ($4,264,629)
- Ty Jerome, Thunder ($4,220,057)
- Nassir Little, Trail Blazers ($4,171,548)
- Dylan Windler, Cavaliers ($4,037,278)
- Jordan Poole, Warriors ($3,901,399)
- Keldon Johnson, Spurs ($3,873,025)
- Kevin Porter Jr., Rockets ($3,217,631)
Third year:
Note: Teams will have to make fourth-year option decisions for 2023/24 on these players by October 31, 2022.
- Anthony Edwards, Timberwolves ($10,733,400)

- James Wiseman, Warriors ($9,603,360)
- LaMelo Ball, Hornets ($8,623,920)
- Patrick Williams, Bulls ($7,775,400)
- Isaac Okoro, Cavaliers ($7,040,880)
- Onyeka Okongwu, Hawks ($6,395,160)
- Killian Hayes, Pistons ($5,837,760)
- Obi Toppin, Knicks ($5,348,280)
- Deni Avdija, Wizards ($4,916,160)
- Devin Vassell, Spurs ($4,437,000)
- Tyrese Haliburton, Kings ($4,215,120)
- Kira Lewis, Pelicans ($4,004,280)
- Aaron Nesmith, Celtics ($3,804,360)
- Cole Anthony, Magic ($3,613,680)
- Chuma Okeke, Magic ($3,433,320)
- Isaiah Stewart, Pistons ($3,433,320)
- Aleksej Pokusevski, Thunder ($3,261,480)
- Josh Green, Mavericks ($3,098,400)
- Saddiq Bey, Pistons ($2,959,080)
- Precious Achiuwa, Raptors ($2,840,160)
- Tyrese Maxey, Sixers ($2,726,880)
- Zeke Nnaji, Nuggets ($2,617,800)
- R.J. Hampton, Magic ($2,412,840)
- Immanuel Quickley, Knicks ($2,316,240)
- Payton Pritchard, Celtics ($2,239,200)
- Udoka Azubuike, Jazz ($2,174,880)
- Jaden McDaniels, Timberwolves ($2,161,440)
- Malachi Flynn, Raptors ($2,145,720)
- Desmond Bane, Grizzlies ($2,130,240)
For a team-by-team breakdown of this year’s rookie scale option decisions for the 2022/23 season, along with full stories on each decision, you can check out our tracker.
Rockets Exercise 2022/23 Option On Kevin Porter Jr.
As expected, the Rockets have picked up the fourth-year option on Kevin Porter Jr.‘s rookie scale contract, according to Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle. The option covers the 2022/23 NBA season.
The 30th overall pick in the 2019 draft, Porter spent his rookie year in Cleveland, then was traded to Houston early in the 2020/21 season due to the Cavs’ concerns about his attitude, stemming in part from a locker room incident.
Porter has been a nice fit with the Rockets, averaging 15.8 PPG, 6.1 APG, and 3.9 RPG in 32 games (31.7 MPG) so far with his new team. The franchise envisions Porter and Jalen Green as its backcourt of the future, as well as its present — both players are currently starters in Houston.
Porter’s 2022/23 option will pay him $3,217,631. He’ll now be eligible to sign a rookie scale extension during the 2022 offseason. If he and the Rockets don’t work out a new deal at that time, the next step would be restricted free agency in 2023.
It appears all the decisions on 2022/23 rookie scale options are now in, ahead of today’s deadline. We’ll be publishing a recap later tonight of all those decisions, but you can also view them here.
James Wiseman Cleared For Full Practices
Warriors center James Wiseman, who is recovering from a torn meniscus in his right knee, has been cleared to participate in full team practices, the club announced today (via Twitter).
It’s an encouraging step for the Warriors and for Wiseman, who may also spend some time practicing and playing with the team’s G League affiliate in Santa Cruz before he returns to action for Golden State.
According to head coach Steve Kerr, Wiseman participated in every part of the club’s practice today except for the live scrimmage (Twitter link via Kendra Andrews of NBC Sports Bay Area). Kerr told reporters he isn’t sure when Wiseman will participate in full scrimmages.
Wiseman sustained his knee injury in April and missed the last 19 games of his rookie year. Before going down, he averaged 11.5 PPG and 5.8 RPG in 39 games (21.4 MPG).
Golden State decided to throw Wiseman into the deep end in his first NBA season, having him start 27 games in the middle. While Wiseman’s development will remain a priority in 2021/22, the Warriors are probably less likely to ask the young center to play a key rotation role until he shows he’s capable of being a consistent positive contributor to a playoff roster.
Rudy Gobert, Jimmy Butler Named Players Of The Week
Jazz center Rudy Gobert and Heat swingman Jimmy Butler have been named the NBA’s Players of the Week in the Western Conference and Eastern Conference, respectively, the league announced today (Twitter links).
During the week of October 25-31, Gobert helped lead the Jazz to a 3-1 record, averaging 16.3 PPG, 15.5 RPG, and 2.3 BPG with a .778 FG% in his four games (31.1 MPG).
Butler’s Heat won all four of their games during the last week, beating the Magic, Nets, Hornets, and Grizzlies by an average of 17.8 points. Butler led the way with 28.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 5.3 APG, and 3.3 SPG on .586/.400/.933 shooting in 34.2 MPG.
Gobert’s teammate Donovan Mitchell was among the other Western Conference nominees, along with Anthony Davis (Lakers), Russell Westbrook, and Luka Doncic (Mavericks). Butler beat out fellow Eastern Conference nominees RJ Barrett (Knicks), DeMar DeRozan (Bulls), Kevin Durant (Nets), Darius Garland (Cavaliers), Montrezl Harrell (Wizards), and teammate Bam Adebayo.
Zion Williamson Out At Least 2-3 More Weeks
Pelicans head coach Willie Green provided a health update on Zion Williamson today, telling reporters that doctors are encouraged by the latest scans on the forward’s foot (Twitter link via Andrew Lopez of ESPN).
According to Green, Williamson is participating in 5-on-0 workouts and has shown the ability to cut, but hasn’t yet been cleared for 5-on-5 work. The plan is for the former No. 1 overall pick to undergo more scans in about two or three weeks in the hopes of clearing him to participate fully in practice and determine a timeline for his return (Twitter link via William Guillory of The Athletic).
When Pelicans head of basketball operations David Griffin first revealed on Media Day last month that Williamson had undergone surgery on his foot in the offseason, he conveyed optimism that the 21-year-old would be ready to go by the regular season. However, prior to opening night, Griffin walked those comments back, suggesting that he hadn’t meant the start of the regular season.
Even if Williamson is cleared to return to action in three weeks, which is an optimistic timeline, he’d miss about 12 more games for a Pelicans team that has started the season with a 1-6 record. New Orleans has playoff aspirations this season, but the club hasn’t looked good on either end of the court with the former No. 1 overall pick out of the lineup and risks digging a deeper hole for itself in the coming weeks.
Green also said today that Brandon Ingram, who is dealing with a right hip contusion, is still sore and is considered day-to-day (Twitter link via Guillory).
Kevin Love Enters Protocols, Expected To Miss Several Games
Cavaliers power forward Kevin Love has entered the NBA’s health and safety protocols and is expected to miss several games, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link). It’s unclear whether Love has tested positive for COVID-19.
Love, 33, is the Cavaliers’ highest-paid player, but is coming off the bench and averaging a career-low 20.7 minutes per game through seven contests this season. He’s contributing 9.9 PPG and 7.3 RPG, but has struggled with his shot so far, making just 35.5% of his field goal attempts, including 20.8% from beyond the arc.
With Love unavailable, the Cavs may lean more heavily on backup forwards Cedi Osman and Dean Wade over the next few games.
Cleveland will visit Charlotte on Monday, host the Blazers on Wednesday, and play in Toronto on Friday.
