Newsstand

Patrick Beverley Waived By Magic

As had been widely anticipated, combo guard Patrick Beverley has been waived by the Magic, the team announced in a press release (Twitter link).

The 6’1″ Beverley will become a free agent once he clears waivers. He was sent to the Magic by the Lakers as part of a four-team trade that netted Los Angeles two second-round draft picks, along with 3-and-D reserve big man Mo Bamba.

In 45 games for the Lakers, all starts, the 34-year-old posted averages of 6.4 PPG on .402/.348/.780, plus 3.1 RPG, 2.6 APG and 0.9 SPG.

Beverley has emerged as a rumored buyout market target of the Clippers, after the team traded veteran point guards Reggie Jackson and John Wall at the deadline. That would mark his second go-round with L.A., He spent four seasons with the Clippers, from 2017-21, and was named to the league’s All-Defensive Second Team in 2020.

Zion Williamson To Miss Several More Weeks With Hamstring Injury

Pelicans All-Star power forward Zion Williamson will miss several more weeks as he continues to recuperate from a right hamstring strain, per Christian Clark of NOLA (Twitter link).

According to Andrew Lopez of ESPN (via Twitter), head of basketball operations David Griffin told reporters today that Williamson had advanced in his rehab process to participating in 3-on-3 work, but re-aggravated the ailment in a recent practice. The former No. 1 overall pick will have his health reassessed by the team’s medical staff following the All-Star break.

As Clark notes, Williamson has already been shelved since first suffering the injury on January 2. In his absence, New Orleans has cratered, going 6-14 in this current stretch without him. Though the Pelicans occupied a spot near the top of the Western Conference standings when Williamson was healthy, the team has now fallen to the seventh seed and is only 1.5 games clear of the No. 11 Jazz.

Williamson has missed far more games (169) than he has actually played (114) in his NBA career to date, as Clark tweets. Across his 29 healthy games this season, the third-year forward is averaging 26 PPG on .608/.368/.714 shooting splits. He’s also pulling down 7.0 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.1 SPG and 0.6 BPG.

Given that Williamson and Warriors All-Star point guard Stephen Curry will both definitely miss All-Star Weekend festivities next week in Salt Lake City, the NBA named Timberwolves shooting guard Anthony Edwards and Kings point guard De’Aaron Fox to fill in as replacement All-Stars for the West.

Magic, Terrence Ross Finalize Buyout Agreement

FEBRUARY 12: Ross has officially been released by Orlando, the team has revealed in a press release (via Twitter). He’ll reportedly sign with the Suns upon clearing waivers.


11:06am: The Magic and veteran swingman Terrence Ross are finalizing a buyout agreement that will put him on track for free agency, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN (Twitter link).

Ross, 32, has been with the Magic since being traded from Toronto to Orlando at the 2017 deadline.

He averaged 14.4 points in 27.2 minutes per game in 220 contests during his first four full seasons with the team, but has seen his role cut back in the last two seasons as the Magic have gone through a rebuilding process. He has averaged just 9.2 PPG in 22.8 MPG across 105 appearances since the start of last season.

Ross has been viewed as a trade candidate since Orlando’s 2021 fire sale that saw Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, and Evan Fournier all dealt. However, he stuck around for an extra two years beyond that, as the Magic never got the sort of offer they sought for the veteran shooter, who has made 36.2% of his 3,500 career three-point attempts.

Given that Ross is on an expiring contract and suggested last spring he’d welcome a change of scenery, it comes as no surprise that he’s seeking his exit from Orlando after staying put through the trade deadline.

Michael Scotto of HoopsHype, who first reported that Ross was a buyout candidate, says the Mavericks and Suns are two potential suitors to keep an eye on. Marc Stein (Twitter link) has also heard word of Dallas’ interest in the veteran wing.

Spurs Waive Stanley Johnson, Will Convert Charles Bassey To Standard Contract

The Spurs have released veteran forward Stanley Johnson, the team announced today in a press release.

Johnson signed with San Antonio in mid-December and averaged 5.8 points and 3.2 rebounds off the bench in 30 games while shooting 45% from three-point range. Despite being drafted in 2015, he’s only 26 and could spark some interest among contending teams on the buyout market.

Johnson was a part-time starter last season with the Lakers, who have a roster spot open after making several moves at the trade deadline. Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report isn’t sure if L.A. can bring back Johnson because he was traded to the Jazz in August and subsequently waived (Twitter link), but Pincus believes the language in the collective bargaining agreement is murky enough that it might be worth a phone call to the league to verify.

The Spurs intend to use their roster opening to convert Charles Bassey‘s two-way deal to a standard contract, tweets Jeff McDonald of The San Antonio Express-News. San Antonio signed Bassey after the Sixers waived him in October, and he’s averaging 4.7 points and 5.2 rebounds in 24 games.

Warriors File Complaint Over Gary Payton II Trade

The NBA has started an investigation of the Trail Blazers for possibly providing misleading information after receiving a complaint from the Warriors regarding a four-team trade involving Gary Payton II, tweets Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Payton failed a physical with Golden State’s medical staff after being acquired from Portland on Thursday. The Warriors have a deadline of 9:30 pm Eastern time today to decide whether to keep Payton or rescind the entire deal, which would also affect the Pistons and Hawks.

The Warriors’ doctors determined that Payton has a core muscle injury that could keep him out of action for up to three months. The injury prevented him from playing until January 2, but he had been a regular part of the Blazers’ rotation since then.

Portland general manager Joe Cronin spoke to reporters about the situation on Friday, saying he didn’t do anything to mislead the Warriors.

Payton played an important role in Golden State’s run to a championship last season, and the team saw him as a way to upgrade its perimeter defense. He left last summer in free agency, signing a three-year deal with Portland worth more than $26MM.

In the trade, the Hawks acquired Saddiq Bey from the Pistons; the Pistons acquired former lottery pick James Wiseman from the Warriors; the Trail Blazers acquired Kevin Knox from the Pistons, three second-round picks from Atlanta, and two second-rounders from Golden State; and the Warriors re-acquired Payton from Portland, along with two second-round picks from Atlanta.

None of those players are able to take the court for their new teams until the Warriors announce their final decision.

Thunder Sign Olivier Sarr To Two-Way Contract

Center Olivier Sarr has returned to the Thunder on a two-way contract, according to NBA.com’s transactions log.

The 23-year-old center signed a pair of 10-day contracts and then a two-way deal with Oklahoma City last season. He appeared in 22 total games, averaging 7.0 points and 4.2 rebounds, before being waived in April.

Sarr joined the Trail Blazers for training camp on an Exhibit 10 contract and was impressive enough in the preseason to earn a two-way deal with the team. However, he suffered a partial tear of a ligament in his right wrist that sidelined him for six weeks and he was waived in mid-November. In January, he signed with the Thunder’s G League affiliate, the Oklahoma City Blue.

OKC had a two-way opening after converting Eugene Omoruyi‘s contract to a standard deal on Friday.

Terrence Ross To Sign With Suns Following Buyout

Terrence Ross plans to join the Suns after his buyout with the Magic is complete, tweets ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Ross must clear waivers before he can sign with Phoenix.

Earlier in the day, Wojnarowski reported that the Mavericks were the frontrunners to add Ross, but he says that changed when new Suns owner Mat Ishbia and coach Monty Williams got involved. They were able to sell Ross on the idea of coming to Phoenix to join Kevin Durant in pursuit of a title.

The Suns have two open roster spots, so they can sign Ross without a corresponding move.

Dallas’ offer is limited to a pro-rated minimum contract, which is worth about $900K, points out Yossi Gozlan of HoopsHype (Twitter link), while Phoenix has $5.2MM of its mid-level exception left and could offer more than the minimum (though it’s unclear whether they will).

Ross will help replace some of the wing depth the Suns had to send to Brooklyn in the Durant trade. He’s a career 36.2% shooter from three-point range and is connecting at 38.1% from long distance this season. He was averaging 8.0 PPG in 42 games for Orlando.

Warriors’ Decision On Gary Payton II Trade Due By Sunday Night

The Warriors must decide by 9:30 pm Eastern time on Sunday whether to rescind a four-team trade in the wake of Gary Payton II‘s failed physical, tweets ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. He adds that Golden State may take another day to evaluate Payton’s condition and determine if it’s in the team’s best interest to keep him.

Sources tell Wojnarowski (Twitter link) that Warriors officials believe the Trail Blazers withheld important information about Payton’s condition prior to the trade, which was completed shortly before Thursday’s deadline. Payton is dealing with a core muscle injury that Golden State’s medical staff says could sideline him for up to three months. The muscle issue prevented Payton from making his season debut until January 2, but he has been playing regularly since then.

Portland general manager Joe Cronin insists the Blazers were completely open in trade negotiations, saying Friday that the organization was “confident that he was healthy.”

At stake is a complex trade in which the Hawks acquired Saddiq Bey from the Pistons; the Pistons received former lottery pick James Wiseman from the Warriors; the Trail Blazers landed Kevin Knox from the Pistons, three second-round picks from Atlanta and two second-rounders from Golden State; and the Warriors re-acquired Payton from Portland, along with two second-round picks from Atlanta.

Because the trade deadline has passed, the terms of the deal can’t be altered, tweets Bobby Marks of ESPN. Initial reporting indicated that might be an option after news broke about the failed physical, but Marks has learned that accepting the trade in its current form or rescinding it entirely are the Warriors’ only choices.

Marks reports that the NBA issued a reminder to each team last week that medical information on players had to be fully disclosed in trade talks (Twitter link). The Warriors could ask the league to investigate (there’s precedent for a team being retroactively rewarded a draft pick in such a case), but Marks notes that it could take weeks or months to complete and wouldn’t help the team with its current decision.

Multiple league sources tell Monte Poole of NBC Sports Bay Area that Golden State is strongly considering holding on to Payton, even if he’s out of action indefinitely. Poole notes that the Warriors’ perimeter defense has been an issue lately, and Payton showed last season that he can make a difference as a point-of-attack defender.

Tim Kawakami of The Athletic first reported that Golden State would have until Sunday to make a final decision on the Payton trade.

Russell Westbrook Will Take Time To Consider Next Move

Russell Westbrook‘s decision on his NBA future may not happen until the All-Star break, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Lakers sent Westbrook to the Jazz on Thursday as part of a three-team trade. Sources tell Wojnarowski that CEO Danny Ainge, general manager Justin Zanik and coach Will Hardy have informed Westbrook that he’s welcome to report to the team and finish the season in Utah. However, the Jazz are planning to prioritize their younger players, so there’s no guarantee that Westbrook will see regular playing time.

The 34-year-old guard is considered a strong buyout candidate, but he’ll have to give up part of the pro-rated money remaining on his $47MM+ salary for that to happen. In order to be eligible for the playoffs with another team, Westbrook would have to complete a buyout with Utah by March 1.

There are three scenarios in play for Westbrook, Wojnarowski adds. He can pursue buyout talks, he can report to the team and accept whatever role the coaching staff gives him, or he can stay home and collect the rest of this season’s salary.

Wojnarowski hears that the Bulls, Clippers and Heat are among several teams interested in Westbrook if he becomes a free agent. Chicago is coached by Billy Donovan, Westbrook’s former coach in Oklahoma City; L.A. has prominent veterans pushing for Westbrook’s addition; and Miami wasn’t able to find point guard help before the trade deadline.

Grizzlies Reportedly Offered Four First-Round Picks For Mikal Bridges

The Grizzlies are the mystery team that was willing to put four future first-round picks in a trade offer for forward Mikal Bridges, reports Michael Scotto of HoopsHype.

ESPN’s Zach Lowe said on his Lowe Post podcast after Thursday’s trade deadline that he had heard of one team offering four first-rounders to the Nets for Bridges. Brooklyn acquired the 26-year-old forward from the Suns as part of its package for Kevin Durant.

While I have no doubt that Scotto’s and Lowe’s reporting is accurate (ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski also said during a TV appearance that Memphis “tried really hard” to get Bridges or Raptors forward OG Anunoby), there’s an important caveat worth mentioning: neither reporter could confirm the protection details of those four first-rounders the Grizzlies put on the table.

Memphis controls all of its own future first-round picks, as well as the Warriors’ 2024 first-rounder (top-four protected). It’s safe to assume the Grizzlies would have offered their own 2023 first-rounder, which currently projects to be just 25th overall. If Memphis also wanted to add protections to a couple other picks in its offer, it’s easier to understand why Brooklyn was comfortable hanging onto Bridges, a talented two-way player who is under contract through 2025/26.

It’s also worth noting that the Grizzlies’ core is still very young, so their first-round picks from 2025-29 could be considered less valuable than future first-rounders from an older team whose stars might not still be playing by the time those later picks convey.

Bridges is averaging career highs in points (17.2), rebounds (4.3), and assists (3.6) per game this season, and is a career .499/.376/.848 shooter who is also a strong, versatile defender. The Suns were reportedly extremely reluctant to include him in their package for Durant, and Scotto reported earlier this week that several teams immediately called the Nets to see if they’d be willing to flip him.

Having missed out on three-and-D wings like Bridges and Anunoby, Memphis instead completed a deadline-day deal for Luke Kennard, who is one of the NBA’s best shooters but isn’t nearly the defender that Bridges or Anunoby is.

Still, as Evan Barnes of The Memphis Commercial Appeal writes, the Grizzlies are excited to add Kennard and his .427 career 3PT% to their rotation. Head coach Taylor Jenkins suggested that the newest member of the Grizzlies could share the court with Desmond Bane, another one of the NBA’s top outside shooters.

“That’s what one of our guys was talking about last night,” Bane said. “Just having another guy that can really shoot and has done it at a high level for a while now. So I’m looking forward to seeing what it looks like.”