Blake Griffin Ready To Make Debut With Nets

Nearly two weeks after signing with the Nets following a buyout with the Pistons, Blake Griffin will likely play his first game with his new team on Sunday, tweets Malika Andrews of ESPN. Brooklyn’s injury report lists Griffin as probable for tomorrow night’s game with the Wizards.

Griffin decided to join the Nets immediately after clearing waivers, but has been held out of the lineup for conditioning purposes. He hasn’t played since February 12, as Detroit kept him sidelined while trying to work out a trade. Brooklyn coach Steve Nash told reporters Friday that Griffin was close to being ready to play.

The 32-year-old forward appeared in 20 games this season for the Pistons and is averaging a career-low 12.3 points per game while shooting 36.5% from the field and 31.5% from three-point range. He played just 18 games last season before having surgery on his left knee.

Griffin talked about changing teams during an appearance Friday on “People (the TV Show!),” according to a Yahoo Entertainment story. He was promoting a new show, but the conversation also touched on basketball.

“It’s time for a change and I’m looking forward to it,” Griffin said. “It’s been great so far, and honestly I’m just looking forward to getting out there and competing and playing basketball.”

David Nwaba Opts For Surgery On Wrist

Rockets swingman David Nwaba has decided to undergo right wrist surgery, according to coach Stephen Silas, Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tweets.

The surgical procedure would likely sideline Nwaba for approximately six weeks. Nwaba originally sprained his wrist in a February 28 game, but he tried to tough it out with so many of his teammates unavailable due to injuries.

Nwaba re-aggravated the wrist injury on Sunday against Boston, which put surgery back on the table. Nwaba has appeared in 30 games this season, averaging 9.2 PPG and 3.9 RPG. He’s playing for his fifth team in as many seasons.

Houston picked up its $1.824MM option on Nwaba in November. He was signed to a two-year deal prior to the restart. He began last season with the Nets but suffered a torn Achilles tendon in December and was waived shortly thereafter.

Potential First-Rounder Brandon Boston Declares For Draft

Kentucky freshman Brandon Boston Jr. is declaring for the draft and will sign with an agent, Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report tweets. Boston made the announcement on his Instagram page.

Boston is regarded as a potential first-round selection. He’s currently ranked No. 34 on ESPN’s big board, with ESPN’s Jonathan Givony projecting Boston as a shot-maker and secondary creator at the NBA level. The 6’7” Boston possesses a nearly 7-foot wingspan, which could make him a defensive asset if he bulks up.

In his lone college season, Boston averaged 11.5 PPG, 4.5 RPG and 1.6 APG but shot just 35.5% overall and 30% on 100 3-point attempts. He started 23 of 25 games for the Wildcats, who finished the season with a 9-16 mark.

Boston scored a season-high 21 points against South Carolina in Kentucky’s last regular-season game but was held scoreless in 23 minutes by Mississippi State during the Southeast Conference tournament.

Rockets Trade P.J. Tucker To Bucks

MARCH 19: The Rockets and Bucks have officially completed their trade, per a press release.


MARCH 17: Milwaukee is making some roster adjustments ahead of a playoff push.

The Bucks are acquiring forwards P.J. Tucker and Rodions Kurucs and reacquiring their own 2022 first-round pick from the Rockets in exchange for veteran point guard D.J. Augustin, forward D.J. Wilson, the Bucks’ 2023 unprotected first-round draft pick, and the right to swap the Rockets’ 2021 second-round pick for Milwaukee’s first-round draft pick (top-nine protected), reports ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

The deal will add Tucker to the Bucks’ frontcourt, giving the team a strong, versatile defender to match up with opposing forwards and big men in the second half and in the postseason. After three-and-a-half seasons in Houston, the 35-year-old reached an agreement with the team last week that allowed him to remain away from the Rockets while they sought a trade for him.

Tucker hasn’t contributed much on offense this season, averaging a career-low 4.4 PPG with a .314 3PT% in 32 games (30.0 MPG), but he’s still a solid defender and could be rejuvenated by a change of scenery that gets him to a contender.

The Rockets, losers of 17 straight games, clearly appear to be in asset acquisition mode now. The deal should allow them to move up at least a few spots in the 2021 draft, as they’ll swap their second-round pick for Milwaukee’s first-rounder. By reacquiring their 2022 first-round pick from Houston, the Bucks are able to surrender both their 2021 and 2023 first-rounders in this deal without violating the Stepien rule.

While the Rockets were rumored to be seeking a young impact player in exchange for Tucker, that was always considered an ambitious goal, given the forward’s recent decline. But the club will get a chance to look at a former first-rounder in Wilson before he becomes eligible for restricted free agency in the summer.

It’s not yet clear what Houston’s plan for Augustin is, but he’s the one player in the deal who is owed guaranteed money beyond this season, with a $7MM guaranteed salary for 2021/22 and a non-guaranteed $7.3MM salary in ’22/23. He could provide depth at the point guard spot for the Rockets or be rerouted to a new team at some point.

The Bucks have also reportedly agreed to send Torrey Craig to the Suns and will now have two open roster spots. They’ll go from about $442K below the hard cap to $3.5MM below, per ESPN’s Bobby Marks (Twitter link), so they’ll have a little more breathing room to fill out their 15-man roster via trade or on the buyout market.

Luke Adams contributed to this story. Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Clippers Eyeing Lonzo Ball

The Clippers remain in the market for a play-maker at the point guard position and are exploring possible avenues to acquire Pelicans guard Lonzo Ball before the March 25 trade deadline, league sources tell Marc Stein of The New York Times (Twitter link).

Ball, 23, has been the subject of off-and-on trade rumors this season as he nears restricted free agency. He has developed a nice chemistry with Pelicans star Zion Williamson and has the potential to continue improving, but New Orleans will have to decide whether or not it wants to pay big money to retain him a long-term deal this offseason.

While the Pelicans would have the ability to match any offer Ball receives in restricted free agency, they may only be comfortable up to a certain price point. If they’re concerned about a team extending an offer sheet that exceeds that price point, it would make sense to see what they could get in return for Ball now, especially since their 17-24 record has them slipping out of the playoff race.

[RELATED: Knicks said to be “heavily” on Ball’s radar]

Ball is averaging a career-high 14.2 PPG on .425/.385/.767 shooting (all career highs) to go along with 5.6 APG and 4.2 RPG in 38 games (31.7 MPG). He has played more off the ball this season, something his father LaVar Ball griped about in a recent appearance on ESPN Radio in Los Angeles. As Christian Clark of NOLA.com details, the outspoken Ball patriarch expressed a desire to see the Pelicans trade his son.

The Clippers are having another strong season, currently holding a top-four seed in the West with a 26-16 record. However, they’ve long been on the lookout for some extra play-making — Paul George (5.3 APG) and Kawhi Leonard (4.9 APG) currently lead the team in assists. Veteran point guards Terry Rozier, George Hill, and Ricky Rubio have been cited as possible targets for L.A.

If the Clippers make a move for a player earning a mid-level salary or higher, Lou Williams ($8MM) may have to be one of the outgoing pieces. All of the team’s players making more than $5MM are part of the regular rotation and aren’t necessarily expendable, which will make it challenging to swing a deal.

As Stein points out (via Twitter), the Clippers’ lack of draft assets may also complicate their pursuit of Ball and other point guard targets. If the club makes a push for Ball, it may require a three-team construction, Stein adds.

Pistons Sign Tyler Cook To 10-Day Contract

MARCH 18: The Pistons have officially signed Cook to his 10-day contract, per NBA.com’s transactions log. He’s expected to be available for Friday’s game vs. Houston, tweets James L. Edwards III of The Athletic.


MARCH 15: The Pistons are signing free agent forward Tyler Cook to a 10-day contract, reports Rod Beard of The Detroit News (via Twitter). Cook reached the open market on March 6 when his 10-day deal with Brooklyn expired.

Undrafted out of Iowa in 2019, Cook spent time as a rookie last season on a two-way contract and a pair of 10-day deals with Cleveland before joining Denver for the NBA restart as a substitute player. He only appeared in 13 total NBA games, but played more for the Canton Charge and OKC Blue in the G League, averaging 12.9 PPG and 5.7 RPG in 29 games (21.3 MPG).

Cook returned to the G League for the 2020/21 season and was one of the early standouts at the Walt Disney World bubble, averaging 20.8 PPG, 9.6 RPG, and 4.4 APG in eight games (33.3 MPG) for the Iowa Wolves. That performance earned him a 10-day look from the Nets, but Brooklyn has opted not to re-sign him, clearing the way for his deal with Detroit.

Cook’s 10-day contract, which will pay him $99,020, won’t require the Pistons to make a corresponding roster move — they’ve had an open spot on their 15-man squad since buying out Blake Griffin.

It’s unclear when the Pistons intend to officially sign Cook and start the counter on his 10 days. According to James L. Edwards III of The Athletic (Twitter link), the 23-year-old still has to clear the COVID-19 protocols and is expected to be available for Friday’s game vs. Houston.

Bucks Trade Torrey Craig To Suns

MARCH 18: The Bucks have officially sent Craig to Phoenix in exchange for cash considerations, according to the club (Twitter link).


MARCH 17: The Bucks will trade reserve small forward Torrey Craig to the Suns, per Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN (Twitter link). John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM tweets that the Suns are sending out cash considerations in the deal.

Milwaukee will not be getting a player in return from Phoenix in the agreement, Woj adds (via Twitter).

After spending his first three NBA seasons with the Nuggets, Craig signed a one-year, veteran’s minimum contract with the Bucks during the 2020 offseason.

Undrafted out of the University of South Carolina Upstate in 2014, Craig began his pro career in Australia, where he played for several NBL teams from 2014-2017. He signed a two-way deal with the Nuggets in 2017, and eventually earned his way onto Denver’s regular 15-man roster.

The defensive-oriented Craig, 30, played in just 18 games with the Bucks, averaging 11.2 MPG as an occasional perimeter defender off the bench. He did improve his three-point shooting this season, connecting on 36.4% of his 1.2 long-range attempts per night. He could help spell starting Suns wings Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges in a limited role.

Phoenix’s 26-12 record currently makes the team the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference, and if Craig can have a good showing as a reserve for a potential powerhouse, he could attract some interest when he returns to free agency this summer.

The Bucks have been active today with trades, having also agreed to send backup point guard D.J. Augustin and reserve power forward D.J. Wilson to the Rockets in exchange for forwards P.J. Tucker and Rodions Kurucs. That move also involves a series of draft picks and swaps.

Thanks to these two deals, the small-market Bucks are now $3.5MM below the hard salary cap, as Bobby Marks of ESPN notes (via Twitter). Milwaukee also now has two open roster spots, which could serve the team well in future trades or in the buyout market this season.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

COVID-19 Protocols Sideline Wiseman, Paschall At Least One Week

Warriors big men James Wiseman and Eric Paschall will be quarantining due to COVID-19 protocols for at least one week, Kendra Andrews of NBC Sports Bay Area tweets.

The players were initially sidelined tonight for Golden State’s battle with the hapless Rockets, a 108-94 victory, after contact tracing revealed potential exposure to the novel coronavirus, per Anthony Slater of The Athletic (Twitter link). Slater adds that some of the Warriors’ development staff and assistant coaches have also entered the NBA’s coronavirus protocols.

Monte Poole of NBC Sports Bay Area notes (via Twitter) that the earliest Wiseman and Paschall can return to the floor for the Warriors will be next Thursday against the Kings. In the absence of both big men, the Warriors will most likely lean more on veterans Draymond Green and Kevon Looney.

Rookie center Wiseman has shown flashes of the promise that prompted the Warriors to select him with the No. 2 pick in the 2020 NBA draft out of Memphis. He is currently averaging 11.8 PPG and 6.0 RPG, in just 20.8 MPG, across 29 games for the Warriors (including 17 starts). Second-year power forward Paschall, a 2019/20 All-Rookie selection, has seen his output decrease during his second season while playing on a healthier roster.

Warriors star Stephen Curry also left Wednesday’s game with an injury diagnosed as a tailbone contusion. While head coach Steve Kerr said it initially looked “kind of scary,” he added that he doesn’t expect Curry to miss much time, per Nick Friedell of ESPN.

Heat, Thunder Finalize Trevor Ariza Trade

5:22pm: The Heat have officially announced the deal (via Twitter). As had been expected, the Thunder announced in a press release that Leonard would remain away from the team.

“Leonard will not be reporting to Oklahoma City and will not be an active member of the organization,” the statement read in part.

Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel tweets that Ariza has been undergoing tests for the novel coronavirus COVID-19 in anticipation of a potential deal, and hopes to suit up for Miami as soon as Friday, when the Heat host the Pacers.


1:57pm: As expected, Leonard has signed off on the trade, confirms Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press (Twitter link).


1:32pm: The Heat and Thunder are finalizing a trade that will send forward Trevor Ariza to Miami in exchange for center Meyers Leonard and a 2027 second-round pick, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN (Twitter link).

As Wojnarowski notes, Leonard’s contract gives him the option of vetoing a trade, but he’s expected to sign off on the deal. Although the veteran big man likely won’t ever play for Oklahoma City, he’ll probably remain on the roster through the deadline in case he can be used in another deal, tweets Joe Mussatto of The Oklahoman.

After starting the 2019/20 season in Sacramento, Ariza was dealt to Portland and played well for the Trail Blazers, averaging 11.0 PPG and 4.8 RPG on .491/.400/.872 shooting in 21 games (33.4 MPG). However, he opted out of the summer restart, then was traded multiple times in the 2020 offseason, ultimately landing in Oklahoma City. Ariza and the Thunder reached an agreement to have him remain away from the team.

Since he’s 35 years old and has essentially spent a full calendar year out of the NBA, it’s unclear how much Ariza has left in the tank, but the Heat will pay a very modest price to find out.

Leonard is out for the season with a shoulder injury and was recently fined and suspended for using an anti-Semitic slur during a video game live stream. While his $9.4MM salary for this season is guaranteed, his $10.15MM salary for 2021/22 is a team option and has long been viewed as a lock to be declined. He’s just being included in the deal to sufficiently match Ariza’s $12.8MM expiring contract.

The real asset going to the Thunder in the swap is the future second-round pick, which was one of the only picks Miami had left available to trade. Even though they won’t actually receive it for another six years, the Thunder will be happy to add that 2027 selection to their ever-growing stash of draft assets, especially for a player who didn’t play a single game for the club.

Even after trading for Ariza, the Heat will have a handful of assets to pursue other deals prior to next Thursday’s deadline, including Andre Iguodala‘s and Kelly Olynyk‘s expiring contracts, a $7.5MM trade exception, and a handful of promising young players. Because they’re trading Leonard, they’ll lose the $4.7MM disabled player exception they received after he suffered his season-ending injury, as ESPN’s Bobby Marks observes (via Twitter).

Miami remains about $5.4MM below the tax line and still has approximately $10.6MM of breathing room below the hard cap, Marks adds (via Twitter).

If the Thunder don’t use one of their existing traded player exceptions to take on Leonard’s salary, they’ll create a new $3.4MM TPE in the deal. They could very well be active again before the deadline, with veterans like George Hill, Al Horford, and Mike Muscala among their potential trade candidates.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Lu Dort Fully Guaranteed Through 2023

The Thunder have guaranteed the final two years of Luguentz Dort‘s four-year contract, locking him up through the 2022/23 season, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweets. The standout second-year wing will earn $1,782,621 in the 2021/22 season and $1,930,681 in the final year of his deal, 2022/23.

After going undrafted in 2019 out of Arizona State, Dort began his NBA career as a two-way player. His staunch defense and athleticism help him earn his way into the rotation for a playoff-bound Thunder club last season, and he was eventually promoted to a permanent role with the team. Oklahoma City inked him to a four-year, $5.4MM deal about a month before the 2019/20 season’s resumption in the Orlando “bubble.”

The 6’3″ wing has started every game of his second NBA season during 2020/21, and is averaging 29.7 MPG for Oklahoma City during a rebuilding year for the franchise. The 21-year-old is averaging 12.4 PPG, 3.6 RPG, and 1.6 APG.

With a 17-23 record, the Thunder are actually a mere two games behind the Grizzlies for a chance to partake in the NBA’s play-in tournament as the No. 10 seed in the West.

Oklahoma City appears satisfied to stay out of the playoffs this season, as the team remains in asset-accrual mode — the Thunder added a 2027 second-round draft pick today in a deal with the Heat. Nicola Lupo of Sportando notes that Oklahoma City has 35 future picks and swap rights across the next seven NBA drafts. The discovery of Dort, who went undrafted, is a shining example of the quality of the Thunder’s scouting department.

Show all