Timberwolves To Release Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Veteran forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson will be among the players waived by the Timberwolves in advance of the regular season, sources tell Shams Charania and Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic (Twitter link).

While most of today’s roster cuts are moves that had been anticipated, Hollis-Jefferson’s release comes as a surprise. He had played fairly well in three preseason games – including a 17-point outburst on 6-of-6 shooting on Monday – and the Wolves aren’t exactly loaded with depth at the power forward spot.

According to Krawczynski (Twitter link), the decision to part ways with Hollis-Jefferson is a “flexibility play” for the Wolves, who will enter the season with an open roster spot. Krawczynski hears that there’s a possibility Minnesota will bring back RHJ at a later date, but for now the club wants to keep that 15th spot open in case an injury replacement is required or an opportunity for a two-for-one trade arises.

Hollis-Jefferson, who will turn 26 next month, played for the Raptors last season, providing energy and defense off the bench. He averaged 7.0 PPG and 4.7 RPG in 60 games (18.7 MPG) for Toronto.

Since Hollis-Jefferson was on a non-guaranteed one-year, minimum-salary contract, a team with interest would be able to claim him off waivers on Monday using the minimum salary exception. If he goes unclaimed, he’ll return to the free agent market.

The Timberwolves will have to cut a few more players – likely Tyler Cook, Zylan Cheatham, and Charlie Brown Jr. – to set their regular season roster.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Extension Rumors: Z. Collins, Allen, Tucker, Mykhailiuk, Markkanen

Like his teammate Gary Trent Jr., Trail Blazers big man Zach Collins doesn’t intend to sign a contract extension with the club before the season, reports Michael Scotto of HoopsHype. Agent Mark Bartelstein tells Scotto that discussions with Portland on a long-term deal for Collins will be tabled until the 2021 offseason.

“(Blazers president of basketball operations) Neil (Olshey) and I have talked quite a bit about Zach, and there’s no question how strongly the Blazers feel about him,” Bartelstein said. “We both feel that an extension probably just doesn’t make sense at this time based on Zach not having a chance to play as much last year due to his injuries.

“Everyone’s focus right now is on getting Zach back to full health and having a terrific season, and then Neil and I will sit down and get to work on a contract this summer.”

Collins missed most of the 2019/20 season due to a shoulder injury, then had to be shut down early during the summer restart thanks to ankle surgery. He only played a total of 11 games in his third year, so he’ll look to make a stronger impression during the fourth and final year of his rookie contract in ’20/21.

Here’s more from Scotto on potential candidates for contract extensions:

  • The Nets have had exploratory discussions with center Jarrett Allen about a possible rookie scale extension, according to Scotto, who hears from a source close to Allen that the big man has enjoyed learning from Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving and wants to remain in Brooklyn long-term.
  • Scotto confirms that P.J. Tucker and the Rockets are engaging in extension talks, as Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle reported on Friday. If the two sides don’t reach a deal and Tucker becomes available in trades, Houston should have no problem finding suitors — multiple teams have expressed interest in acquiring him, says Scotto.
  • There’s mutual interest between the Pistons and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk in a potential extension, writes Scotto. Mykhailiuk, who will become a restricted free agent in 2021 without a new deal, would be eligible for up to $53.76MM over four years. That’s probably higher than Detroit would be willing to go, but it’s worth noting that the third-year guard made 40.4% of his three-pointers in 2019/20 and sharpshooters like Davis Bertans and Joe Harris did very well in free agency.
  • Although the Bulls and Lauri Markkanen have both publicly expressed a desire to finalize a rookie scale extension by Monday’s deadline, the team sides remained far apart heading into the weekend, according to Scotto.

Rockets, P.J. Tucker Continue Extension Talks

The Rockets and P.J. Tucker have continued to discuss a possible contract extension for the veteran forward, according to Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle. Tucker’s agent Andre Buck and Rockets general manager Rafael Stone had a conversation on Friday morning, Feigen adds.

Although no deal is imminent, there’s some optimism that “there may be something there,” Feigen hears from a person close to the situation. That source tells The Houston Chronicle that both sides are “hopeful” they’ll be able to work something out.

The lack of a contract extension has reportedly been a major source of frustration for Tucker, who has been seeking a new deal since at least the summer of 2019. His current contract will pay him $7.97MM in 2020/21 before expiring, so he’ll be an unrestricted free agent after this season if he doesn’t agree to terms with the Rockets before then.

According to Feigen, Houston will likely offer Tucker a two-year extension — a longer deal would be all but impossible due to the NBA’s over-38 rule. A new two-year contract for Tucker could be worth up to nearly $25MM, including a first-year salary of $12MM (120% of the league’s estimated average salary). Feigen suggests that the amount of guaranteed money in the second year of such an offer may be a sticking point in negotiations.

Tucker has been a crucial part of Houston’s rotation since joining the team in 2017. Over the last three years, the 35-year-old – who hasn’t missed a single game due to injury – has knocked down 36.9% of his three-point attempts while playing stout defense against opposing big men in small-ball lineups.

While December 21 is the deadline for rookie scale extensions and certain veteran extensions, Tucker will remain eligible to sign a new deal during the regular season, so he and the Rockets don’t necessarily have to resolve the situation within the next few days. Still, the Rockets – who are still dealing with a disgruntled star in James Harden – may be motivated to get something done to ensure they don’t have another unhappy veteran in their starting lineup.

Ryan Smith Officially Becomes Majority Owner Of Jazz Following NBA Approval

Qualtrics founder Ryan Smith and his wife Ashley are officially the new majority owners of the Jazz, the team announced today in a press release. Smith was able to formally complete the purchase of a majority stake in the franchise after being unanimously approved by the NBA’s Board of Governors.

“Ryan Smith is a forward-thinking, community-minded entrepreneur and business leader who will be a fantastic addition to our league,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement, following the Board of Governors’ vote. “As a life-long fan of the Utah Jazz and more recently as one of their key marketing partners, Ryan has demonstrated his deep commitment to the Jazz and the Utah community and there’s no doubt he will bring that same level of dedication to the operation of the team.”

Gail Miller and the Miller family reached an agreement in October to sell a majority share of the Jazz to Smith, with a valuation of $1.66 billion. The now-official transaction also included Vivint Arena, the Salt Lake City Stars, and management operations of the Salt Lake Bees, a Triple-A baseball team.

The Millers have retained a minority stake in the team, while tech entrepreneur Mike Cannon-Brookes and venture capitalist Ryan Sweeney have also been announced as minority owners, according to the Jazz.

Smith, a Utah native, told ESPN’s Tim MacMahon that he was “really close” to making a bid to buy the Timberwolves before Ashley objected.

“With my wife, something wasn’t right. She was putting her foot down,” Ryan said. “She was like, ‘You know we’re Jazz fans, right? That’s what we do, and I’m not moving.’ She doesn’t put her foot down very often, but it was a nice reminder that I was kind of getting caught up in this other world because I liked the business side of it.”

As MacMahon writes, part of the agreement calls for the Jazz to remain in Utah, but that was never a question for Smith, who has been a lifelong fan of the franchise and had courtside seats before reaching an agreement to purchase a controlling share of the team.

NBA Sets Trade Deadline, Increases Active Players, Permanently Adopts Coach’s Challenge

The NBA’s Board of Governors announced today in a press release that the coach’s challenge will implemented permanently, following a one-year trial run during the 2019/20 season.

The Board of Governors is comprised of all 30 NBA team owners, their representatives, and league commissioner Adam Silver.

Thanks to the coach’s challenge, league head coaches can request an instant replay review for a finite amount of plays during a game. The Board of Governors also adjusted some language related to potential coach’s challenge scenarios. The timing of a request in relation to a ruling by referees was explicitly laid out, as was the concept that, should a team be penalized for a delay of game violation, it cannot request a challenge.

Meanwhile, the league also announced via a separate statement to the press that March 25 has been officially approved as the league’s trade deadline this season.

Additionally, due to anticipated COVID-19 related player absences and a compressed schedule, the Board of Governors has ratified a decision to increase its active player tally from 13 to 15 for 2020/21.

The permanent adoption of the coach’s challenge, increase of the active roster from 13 to 15, and March 25 trade deadline had all been previously reported — now they’re official.

G League Bubble Rumors: Schedule, Team Count, Location

New rumors have emerged concerning the NBA’s continued efforts to make a “bubble” campus iteration of its G League a reality for the 2020/21 season.

The location for such an event has yet to be finalized. While Adam Zagoria of Forbes says (Twitter link) that the bubble may not happen in Atlanta for logistical reasons, Dave McMenamin of ESPN says Atlanta remains the frontrunner, though Orlando is also a candidate to host. A source tells Zagoria that a phone conversation that includes all 29 team presidents is scheduled for next week so that clubs can “get closer to a final decision.”

McMenamin also explains the reasoning behind teams opting out of the 2020/21 season entirely. As McMenamin details, G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim requested that clubs volunteer to pass on the bubble, as the G League would not be able to safely accommodate 29 franchises.

Per McMenamin’s sources, the G League hopes to pare down its bubble team tally to between 14-20 clubs, in much the same way that the 2019/20 summer restart in Orlando was limited to just 22 of 30 teams.

So far, 10 teams have agreed to opt out, according to McMenamin. That list includes the Maine Red Claws, the affiliate for the Celtics, and the Lakers’ affiliate, the South Bay Lakers, as our JD Shaw reported earlier this month. Meanwhile, 12 teams have committed to participating in the bubble season. Other teams have yet to make a determination.

As was outlined last month, the new G League Ignite team, centered around several star 2021 draft prospects including Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga, is expected to participate. McMenamin reports that showcasing the Ignite is a big motivating factor behind the push for a 2020/21 G League season.

The league expects play to run from January through March, with fewer than the standard 50 games for its season. Marc Berman of The New York Post (Twitter link) hears that the shortened season could start around January 10.

Jordan McLaughlin To Return To Timberwolves

The Timberwolves are bringing back restricted free agent point guard Jordan McLaughlin on another two-way contract, per Shams Charania of the Athletic (via Twitter). Today was the deadline for him to accept his qualifying offer, which is equivalent to a two-way deal.

McLaughlin’s play as a rookie on a two-way deal during the 2019/20 season could have qualified him for a promotion to a standard deal this season, but Charania notes that McLaughlin opted to bet on himself and reach restricted free agency again in 2021.

In 19.7 MPG across his 30 games with the Timberwolves, the 5’11” McLaughlin averaged 7.6 PPG and 4.2 APG on .489/.382/.667 shooting last year. He previously spent the 2018/19 season with Brooklyn’s G League affiliate, the Long Island Nets after going undrafted out of USC in 2018.

In 2019/20, McLaughlin also played 23 games for Minnesota’s G League affiliate, the Iowa Wolves. McLaughlin averaged 16.7 PPG, 6.1 APG, 4.5 RPG, and 2.3 SPG on .502/.352/.750 shooting in 31.4 MPG for Iowa.

According to Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (Twitter link), McLaughlin could have made more money in the immediate future by agreeing to a standard contract, which the Timberwolves had offered. However, it would’ve been a team-friendly multiyear deal with non-guaranteed years and/or a team option.

Having accepted another two-way contract, McLaughlin will be eligible next summer for a qualifying offer that will be equivalent to a partially guaranteed one-year deal.

McLaughlin had been the final restricted free agent on the 2020 market, so only unrestricted FAs remain unsigned.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

NBA Investigating Kawhi Recruitment By Jerry West, Clippers

7:23pm: The Clippers have released a statement in response to the NBA’s investigation, referring to the lawsuit against West as “replete with inaccuracies” and the allegations as “baseless.”

“The Clippers are fully cooperating with the NBA,” the statement said in part. “They are providing the NBA with evidence that the allegations are false.”


6:16pm: The league is investigating the recruitment tactics employed by the Clippers and executive board member Jerry West in adding All-Star forward Kawhi Leonard to Los Angeles as a 2019 free agent, according to Sam Amick of The Athletic (via Twitter).

Earlier this week, a TMZ report indicated that Johnny Wilkes, a man who claims to be friends with Leonard, is suing West for $2.5MM.

Per the suit, Wilkes claims that, due to his connection to Leonard and his uncle, Dennis Robertson, West agreed to pay him $2.5MM for his services in luring Leonard away from the Raptors in the 2019 offseason. Wilkes also claims that he suggested the team would need to add Leonard’s future star teammate, forward Paul George.

A representative for West spoke to TMZ Sports about the suit on West’s behalf. “I am not aware of any lawsuit being filed against me and I deny engaging in any improper conduct in connection with the signing of Kawhi Leonard,” the rep said.

Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report tweets that, depending on what the NBA does or does not discover, the penalties for such a recruitment infraction could vary significantly.

Sixers Open To Discussing Ben Simmons In Harden Trade Talks?

6:43pm: Sixers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey has responded to the reports on Simmons’ potential availability, issuing the following statement to Charania (Twitter link): “We are not trading Ben Simmons — he is an important part of our future.”

While Morey’s statement suggests there will be no traction anytime soon on a swap involving Harden and Simmons, that possibility can’t be entirely ruled out. With both ESPN and The Athletic reporting on the Sixers’ openness to discussing Simmons, there’s likely something to it, and Morey has made this sort of declaration before about a player he later traded.


5:51pm: The Sixers have “signaled a willingness” to include Ben Simmons in trade packages for James Harden, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Ramona Shelburne. Shams Charania of The Athletic is hearing the same thing, tweeting that the 76ers have made Simmons available in talks with the Rockets for Harden.

However, ESPN’s duo reports that those discussions have “come nowhere close” to a deal, and Charania conveys a similar sentiment, writing that conversations between the two teams “aren’t fluid” for the time being.

While the Rockets and 76ers haven’t gained any momentum toward an agreement, Houston is increasingly expanding trade talks beyond Harden’s preferred destinations, according to Wojnarowski and Shelburne. Sources tell ESPN that the Rockets are engaged in ongoing discussions on several fronts and have been keeping in touch with Harden about those scenarios.

A number of playoff-caliber teams in the East and West are feeling “less inhibited” about trading for Harden without any assurances that they’d be able to keep him beyond his opt-out date in 2022, according to Wojnarowski and Shelburne, who add that those teams appear increasingly comfortable discussing high-level trade assets.

For their part, the Rockets haven’t moved off their reported asking price of a young franchise cornerstone and draft picks, and are prepared to open the season with Harden on their roster, per Woj and Shelburne. However, ESPN’s duo says the Rockets are also signaling to teams that they’re willing to complete a trade sooner rather than later if the right deal arises.

A report last week indicated that the Sixers appear best positioned to acquire Harden if they’re willing to part with Simmons — that still seems to be the case, though Philadelphia and Houston would have to haggle over what else would be included in a hypothetical swap of the All-Star guards. One recent report suggested the Rockets would want three first-round picks in addition to Simmons, which seems unrealistic.

The Rockets’ interest in the Nets‘ assets is limited, sources tell ESPN, so a third team may be necessary to get the former MVP to Brooklyn.

Harden’s list of preferred destinations reportedly includes Milwaukee and Miami as well, though the Bucks aren’t believed to be interested in pursuing a deal, as Brian Windhorst of ESPN said today on his Hoop Collective podcast (hat tip to RealGM). The Heat sound more open to exploring the possibility of adding Harden, and ESPN’s report suggests that other teams may be in the mix as well.

Charges Against Kevin Porter Jr. Dropped

All charges against Cavaliers swingman Kevin Porter Jr. following an arrest last month have been dropped, reports ESPN’s Brian Windhorst. On November 15, the 20-year-old flipped his Mercedes SUV on a highway near Cleveland. When they arrived at the scene, police discovered marijuana and a loaded handgun in the SUV.

The second-year guard out of USC was subsequently charged with improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, a felony, in addition to misdemeanors for driving without a license and marijuana possession. Marijuana remains illegal for recreational use in Ohio. A Mahoning County grand jury opted against indicting Porter on any of the charges.

As Bobby Marks of ESPN tweets, Porter could still face a suspension or fine from the NBA if the league feels that is warranted based on its own investigation.

For his rookie season in Cleveland, Porter averaged 10.0 PPG, 3.2 RPG, and 2.2 APG. He posted a shooting slash line of .442/.335/.723.

Show all