Ham On Anthony Davis: “His Pain Has Just About Dissipated”

Lakers head coach Darvin Ham provided an encouraging update on the status of injured star Anthony Davis on Friday, per ESPN’s Dave McMenamin (Twitter link).

The biggest thing is, his pain has just about dissipated,” Ham said, adding that Davis was trending in a positive direction as far as a possible ramp-up to return to action.

According to Kyle Goon of The Southern California News Group (Twitter link), Davis told reporters that he has multiple injuries in his foot, including a bone spur and a stress reaction, but the latter is what has been causing him pain and it has been healing well with rest. Davis added that he has been encouraged by the recovery process, tweets McMenamin.

Davis also said he would “probably” have the bone spur surgically repaired in the offseason, Goon notes (via Twitter).

The 29-year-old big man sustained the stress reaction in a win over Denver on November 16.

There were mixed reports as far as possible timetable for Davis’ return in the aftermath of the injury. Shams Charania of The Athletic wrote that he would be out for at least a month, but Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN said the Lakers planned to reevaluate Davis in a week-to-10 days because his pain was subsiding. That was seven days ago.

While the updates from Ham and Davis are certainly positive, it has already been two weeks since he last played, and it’s hard to say how much additional time he’ll miss. The Lakers were vague in their initial press release regarding the injury and there wasn’t even a rough timetable given today.

The Lakers’ season basically hinges on how quickly Davis can recover. They have gone 2-5 since he went down and now hold a 14-21 record, trailing the Warriors by three-and-a-half games for the final spot in the play-in tournament.

Davis was having an outstanding season prior to his latest injury, averaging 27.4 PPG, 12.1 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1.3 SPG and 2.1 BPG while shooting a career-high 59.4% from the field and 82.6% from the charity stripe. His impact is felt on both ends of the court, but the team’s defense in particular has absolutely cratered without the eight-time All-Star.

Hawks’ Nate McMillan Has Considered Resigning

Hawks head coach Nate McMillan has “strongly considered” the possibility of resigning from his position, league sources with knowledge of the situation tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Charania’s report comes just weeks after he and Sam Amick of The Athletic described a verbal confrontation between McMillan and Hawks star Trae Young. McMillan’s job security came into question following that incident, per Charania, but sources tell The Athletic that his job has been considered safe and the team wants him to finish the season in his role.

However, McMillan “appears to be near the end of his tenure with the Hawks after the season,” Charania writes, which presumably means the club is mulling the idea of making a coaching change in the spring — if McMillan hasn’t stepped down before then.

Sources tell The Athletic that no McMillan resignation is imminent and that he and new head of basketball operations Landry Fields have had positive recent conversations about the direction of the team.

Still, Charania points to the alleged confrontation between McMillan and Young as a sign of the “disconnect” between the two. Given that Young is in the first season of a five-year, $215MM contract, he’s unlikely to be the odd man out if the franchise ultimately has to make a decision between its head coach and its star player.

As Charania observes, McMillan spoke last week about the challenges of coaching today’s players, telling reporters, “They see the game different than when I played it and when I started coaching.”

The Hawks hoped to take a major step forward this year after trading for Dejounte Murray over the summer, but it has been up and down season in Atlanta so far. The team has an underwhelming 17-18 record and ranks ninth in the Eastern Conference.

McMillan was initially hired in 2020 by Travis Schlenk, first as an assistant, then as Lloyd Pierce‘s replacement in 2021. Schlenk transitioned last week from Atlanta’s president of basketball operations to a senior advisory role.

According to Charania, the Hawks made some other changes to their front office while reassigning Schlenk and promoting Fields — senior adviser Rod Higgins, director of pro scouting Stephen Giles, and VP of player personnel Derek Pierce were all let go, sources tell The Athletic. It remains to be seen whether a coaching shake-up will follow the one that occurred in the front office.

Bogdan Bogdanovic Fined $25K By NBA

Hawks guard Bogdan Bogdanovic has been fined $25K by the NBA, the league announced today in a brief statement (Twitter link).

Bogdanovic received the penalty for kicking the game ball into the spectator stands at the end of Atlanta’s loss to the Nets on Wednesday.

The incident occurred after Dejounte Murray missed a three-point attempt as time expired in the Hawks’ 108-107 loss. The ball ricocheted off the rim toward Bogdanovic, who kicked it out of frustration (video link). While the offense was a minor one, the NBA has been consistently fining players this season for throwing or kicking the ball into the stands.

The $25K penalty won’t make much of dent in Bogdanovic’s pay check — he’s earning $18MM this season in the third season of a four-year, $72MM deal with Atlanta. He holds an $18MM player option for next season, so he’ll have the ability to reach free agency in the summer of 2023.

Injury Notes: Shamet, Caruso, Harris, Nance

Landry Shamet (right Achilles soreness) will miss a third consecutive game on Friday when the Suns visit Toronto, but it sounds like he’s closer to returning than some of his injured teammates. Shamet is aiming to make it back before Phoenix’s road trip wraps up on Wednesday, writes Duane Rankin of The Arizona Republic.

“Whenever they give me the green light,” Shamet said. “… There’s a reason they get paid to do what they do, the training staff. … I feel good to go right now, but I trust them to let me know when I’m ready to go.”

The Suns are also missing Devin Booker (groin strain), Cameron Johnson (meniscus tear), Cameron Payne (foot strain), and Jae Crowder (not with team), so getting Shamet back would give the rotation a lift.

Here are a few more injury updates from around the NBA:

  • Bulls guard Alex Caruso will return on Friday vs. Detroit following a three-game absence due to a sprained right shoulder and a stint in the concussion protocol, writes Rob Schaefer of NBC Sports Chicago. The Bulls won two of three games without Caruso available, but will welcome him back with open arms — the club has a plus-3.7 net rating when he’s on the court this season, compared to a minus-5.3 mark when he sits.
  • Nets sharpshooter Joe Harris, who has missed the last three games due to soreness, is remaining in Brooklyn while the team travels to Charlotte for Saturday’s game, tweets Nick Friedell of ESPN. Harris will be reevaluated in a few days, Friedell adds.
  • Pelicans forward/center Larry Nance Jr. left Wednesday’s game early due to what the team dubbed a neck contusion/spasm (Twitter link). Nance, already bothered by a shoulder issue, was in “a lot of pain” on the bench, tweets Andrew Lopez of ESPN, and is considered doubtful to play on Friday vs. Philadelphia, per the official injury report.

Checking In On Open NBA Roster Spots

When the Raptors waived Justin Champagnie on Thursday night, they became the 11th NBA team to create an opening on its 15-man roster.

Early in the season, we often don’t see teams take advantage of those open roster spots. However, we’re getting to the point in the year when they’ll start to become more important.

January 5 is the first day that teams can begin signing players to 10-day contracts, which require an open roster spot unless the team qualifies for a hardship exception. We’re also entering trade season, so teams with openings on their rosters will have more flexibility to accommodate two-for-one type deals.

It’s also worth noting that January 7 is the last day a team can waive a player on a non-guaranteed contract and avoid paying his full-year salary, so we could see more roster spots around the league open up within the next eight days as some of those players on non-guaranteed deals are cut.

For now, here are the 11 teams with open roster spots:

  • Atlanta Hawks
  • Charlotte Hornets
  • Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Golden State Warriors
  • Los Angeles Clippers
  • Los Angeles Lakers
  • Miami Heat
  • Philadelphia 76ers
  • Phoenix Suns
  • Portland Trail Blazers
  • Toronto Raptors

Some of these clubs have avoided carrying a 15th man due to luxury tax concerns. The Heat, for instance, are so close to the tax line that they’re not expected to fill their 15th roster spot until March. But 10-day contracts cost so little that we’ll likely see some taxpaying teams take a flier on a free agent or two.

One team on this list that’s well clear of tax territory is Charlotte, but the Hornets may be saving their 15th roster spot for restricted free agent Miles Bridges. If Bridges signs a contract and faces a lengthy NBA-mandated suspension, the Hornets would be able to move him to the suspended list five games into that suspension, reopening their 15th spot until he’s eligible to return.

As our roster counts page shows, there are currently no NBA teams with open two-way slots — all 60 are filled.

And-Ones: Wembanyama, L. Miller, Elam Ending, Lin

While it’s not as if he needed to further cement his place as the top prospect in the 2023 draft class, Victor Wembanyama put on a dazzling performance in the LNB’s All-Star Game, per an Associated Press report.

Wembanyama was named the MVP of the LNB showcase, which pits the league’s top French players against its non-French stars. The big man racked up 27 points, 12 rebounds, and four assists, leading the French team to a 136-128 victory. The game was Wembanyama’s last as an 18-year-old — he’ll turn 19 next Wednesday before his Metropolitans 92 resume play on January 9.

Here are a few more odds and ends from around the basketball world:

  • Canadian forward Leonard Miller, currently a member of the G League Ignite, is planning to enter the 2023 NBA draft and go pro, he tells Michael Scotto of HoopsHype. Miller is viewed as a potential first-round pick and currently ranks 26th overall on ESPN’s big board of 2023 prospects.
  • Jake Fischer of Yahoo Sports is the latest reporter to take a closer look at the G League’s experimentation with a “target score” (also known as the Elam Ending). The NBAGL has used a target score in overtime all season long and employed it in the fourth quarter of games during its Winter Showcase in Las Vegas. The new overtime format has “strong supporters” in NBA front offices and the league office, according to Fischer. When we asked you last week whether the NBA should adopt the Elam Ending for overtimes, more of our poll respondents were against it than for it.
  • Veteran point guard Jeremy Lin, who had been playing for the Guangzhou Loong Lions of the Chinese Basketball Association, has left the CBA for the rest of the season, he announced in an Instagram post. “I’m gonna go back to the U.S. to rest and reset before I make a decision with my family for my next step,” Lin wrote. He has appeared in 480 total NBA regular season games, but hasn’t played in the league since 2019, when he was a member of the champion Raptors.

Cavaliers, Nuggets In Market For Wing Help

The Cavaliers and Nuggets are among the teams expected to peruse the trade market for help on the wing in the coming weeks, according to a pair of reports.

ESPN’s Zach Lowe (insider link) says league sources expect Cleveland to seek another short-term option on the wing, while Sam Amick of The Athletic cites sources who say the Nuggets will be looking for at least one wing to help bolster their bench.

Lowe’s report on the Cavaliers comes as no surprise, given that the club has long been thought to be in the market for a wing. With Jarrett Allen and Evan Mobley in the frontcourt and Donovan Mitchell and Darius Garland in the backcourt, a three-and-D wing who can make shots on offense and lock down opposing perimeter threats would be an ideal fit for the Cavs.

Cleveland has some solid defensive wings on the roster, but players like Isaac Okoro and Lamar Stevens don’t offer much offensively. Caris LeVert, meanwhile, is a career 33.4% three-point shooter who isn’t an especially stout defender.

As for the Nuggets, Amick says the goal is to get “longer, more athletic, versatile, defensive-minded, and bigger” on the wing. The “dream scenario,” he adds, would be to find another player with a similar skill set to Aaron Gordon, who is enjoying the best year of his career in Denver.

While it doesn’t hurt to aim high, it seems unlikely that the Nuggets will be able to land that sort of impact player, given their relative lack of trade assets. They’ve already moved three future first-round picks and don’t have many logical salary-matching pieces — only six players on the roster are earning more than $5MM (Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter Jr., Gordon, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, and Bruce Brown) and none of them are good bets to be moved this season.

Denver could potentially acquire a mid-level type player by building a package around Ish Smith and his $4.7MM expiring salary.

Lore, A-Rod On Track To Buy Next 20% Stake In Timberwolves

The plan for Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez to succeed Glen Taylor as the controlling owners of the Timberwolves continues to move forward, according to Jon Krawczynski and Shams Charania of The Athletic, who report that Lore and Rodriguez have exercised their option to buy another 20% of the team.

When Lore and Rodriguez reached an agreement with Taylor in the spring of 2021, the succession plan called for the new owners to initially come aboard as minority stakeholders with a 20% share of the franchise. The duo had until the end of 2022 to exercise an option to purchase another 20%, bringing their total stake in the club to 40%.

Now that Lore and A-Rod have exercised that option, they’ll have until March 15 to formally close on their second 20%, according to Krawczynski and Charania.

The final stage of the ownership change would see Lore and A-Rod exercise an option to buy another 40% of the team by December 31, 2023. Assuming that happens, the duo would then control 80% of the Timberwolves. Sources tell The Athletic that the plan is for Taylor to retain a 20% stake after giving up majority control of the team.

A report in August raised questions about whether Rodriguez had the liquidity necessary to contribute his half of the purchasing price and suggested that the deal could be in jeopardy, but it appears it’s still moving forward as planned.

As Krawczynski and Charania point out, Taylor would have the right to nix the succession plan and retain Lore and Rodriguez as limited shareholders if they miss either of the next two payments. However, the buyers have expressed confidence that those payments remain on track to be completed, per The Athletic’s report.

According to Krawczynski and Charania, Lore and Rodriguez have recruited other investors to join their Purple Buyers Holdings LLC, and should be in good position to bring in more if they need to do so. The recent $4 billion valuation the Suns received as part of their sale to Mat Ishbia was good news for Lore and A-Rod, since the Wolves – who are selling at a $1.5 billion valuation – look like a bargain by comparison.

Once they control 40% of the franchise, Lore and A-Rod will have invested $600MM in the Wolves, with another $600MM to come. The duo has already been involved in front office and personnel decisions in preparation of assuming majority control in another year.

Cavs Concerned Garland Could Miss Time With Thumb Injury

Cavaliers guard Darius Garland injured his right thumb during Thursday’s loss in Indiana and there’s concern that he could miss some time, according to Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com.

Garland sustained the injury when his right hand got hit by Pacers forward Oshae Brissett, who was attempting to knock the ball loose. Flexing his right thumb in clear discomfort, Garland stayed in the game for a couple more possessions before exiting to be evaluated by Cleveland’s training staff. The 22-year-old checked back in about three minutes later, but didn’t attempt another shot the rest of the night and missed a pair of free throws in the game’s final minute, Fedor writes.

“It was bothering me a lot,” Garland said after the game. “I was just trying to go out there and compete as much as I could. The last two free throws, I looked at (head coach) J.B. (Bickerstaff) and I was like, ‘Ah, I really don’t want to shoot these.’ But I got fouled and just tried to make two. They didn’t go in. Everything hurt. I was playing with a wrapped thumb. I couldn’t really do anything. I wasn’t going to be effective with that. It was already throbbing and swollen at that point.”

Garland will be examined further on Friday before the Cavs announce an official diagnosis and provide an update on his availability for Saturday’s game in Chicago. According to Fedor, the point guard said he hopes to “fight through it” and be ready to face the Bulls.

Still, even if Garland has avoided a serious injury, he couldn’t hide his frustration about the amount of contact he has taken this season, which began when he suffered an eyelid laceration due to a reach-in attempt on opening night.

“Just getting hacked all season,” Garland said. “Nothing has changed. The physicality isn’t a factor at all. It’s the whistle not being blown at the right time when it’s a foul, an obvious foul. Some of this stuff we should be reviewing.

“… The whole thing about the league taking care of the players, it seems like we’re not doing that as much this year. At least, the way we did in previous years.”

Raptors Waive Justin Champagnie

Raptors small forward Justin Champagnie has been waived by the team, per Blake Murphy of Sportsnet.ca (Twitter link). The club officially confirmed the move in a press release.

An injury after training camp seemed to kill Champagnie’s chances of making the club’s rotation, Murphy observes. He appeared in just three games for Toronto this year.

Champagnie’s contract was only partially guaranteed for $825K. Toronto would have owed the 6’6″ swingman the entirety of his $1,637,966 contract for 2022/23 if he had remained on the roster beyond January 1, tweets Bobby Marks of ESPN.

Murphy believes Champagnie has a good chance to join another club on a two-way deal at some point this season. Since making his NBA debut in October 2021, the former Pitt standout has appeared in 39 games for Toronto, averaging 2.2 PPG and 1.9 RPG across just 7.5 MPG.

With Champagnie coming off their books, the Raptors now have an available spot on their 15-man standard roster. Murphy adds that, thanks to that opening, Toronto will have more flexibility when discussing trades and will be in better position to consider 10-day signings. As we outlined earlier this week, teams can begin signing players to 10-day contracts as of January 5.